NATION

PASSWORD

Ben Bradlee: Class Traitor or Unwitting Tool?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Was the late Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee...

a traitor to his class?
No votes
an unwitting tool of the oligarchy?
100%

Total votes : 2

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Ben Bradlee: Class Traitor or Unwitting Tool?

Postby United States of The One Percent » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 pm

(a valediction)

RIP Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee, Boston Brahmin, journalist, flack, newspaper editor, author and card-carrying member of The One Percent. At the helm of the Washington Post during a crusading period of its history, he inter alia broke the Watergate caper that brought down the Nixon presidency. But in doing so, was he a traitor to his class or an unwitting tool of the power elite? And what does the answer mean for life in the good old U. S. of A.?

I'd like to digress on one episode in Bradlee's personal and professional life, one he recorded in his memoirs. He was a journalist for Newsweek magazine working in the DC bureau. Newsweek was about to be sold, and Bradlee and others had qualms about who it was going to be sold to.

What he did was he phoned up Post owner Phil Graham and suggested Graham buy the magazine. Graham invited him over and proceeded to pump him for information on the personalities, procedures and politics of the company Bradlee was working for at the time. The upshot was a 50-page typescript, since lost or destroyed. After delivering this what these days would be called confidential business information, Graham bought the magazine and Bradlee found himself, in rather quick succession, DC bureau chief, Graham son-in-law and Post honcho, a position from which he helped bring down a President.

Question 1: How did Graham and Bradlee going after Nixon serve the interests of The One Percent? Wasn't Tricky Dicky a Republican, therefore One Of Them?

Well, yes and no. Nixon, however privileged, wasn't quite Their Class, besides which he instituted wage and price controls at one point. As Democrats, Graham and Bradlee might have preferred a member of their party in the White House, but after a certain net worth party labels lose much of their meaning. And what they got in that case was a couple years of Gerry Ford and the disaster that was the Jimmy Carter administration, which set up the rule by Republican and centrist Democrat tools of the moneyed class that has lasted nearly 34 years.

Question 2: If the Newsweek sale was part of some elitist conspiracy, why be so open about it?

This one goes to the heart of the matter imho. The One Percent don't need to form secret societies, elect officers, collect dues, devise secret handshakes, skulk around like clandestine agents, or pass resolutions about how They are going to run the world.

The interests of the oligarchic class currently ruling the U.S.A. are so intimately bound together, and their sense of personal worth and privilege so innate, that the "conspiracy," if we are to call it that, runs by itself. Bradlee didn't need orders from the Trilateral Commission, Bilderburg or the Illuminati to pick up the phone and sell his company down the river to his fellow oligarch. All he needed was his innate sense of belonging to the right crowd and his desire to keep the news outlet he worked for under that crowd's collective thumb.

One last thing to throw out there: when has the Post, or any other major U.S. news source, last taken any editorial or reportorial position explicitly against the interests of The One Percent, their control of an outsize share of the nation's wealth or their willingness to employ that wealth to defend their position, power and privilege? In what sense then is it, its editor, or any other news outlet or honcho some kind of hero of the people?

(a peroration)

Well, that about wraps it up for me. I leave US-TOP a highly developed, prosperous Nation with huge income disparities, an illusory freedom and scores of controversies that help keep its less-well-off inhabitants' minds off the fact that We control every important aspect of their lives; the U.S.A. with its mask off. I may drop in over the next few days to make a wise crack or scurrilous comment here and there but after that, I'll be done. Be seeing you. Enjoy playing with your zombies.
Last edited by United States of The One Percent on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm

You're saying that we should have tolerated a violation of the law because Nixon was otherwise a good president? Yes, Nixon enforced school desegregation, ended the Vietnam War, and improved relations with China and the Soviet Union. That doesn't make Watergate any more acceptable.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Shitty poll choices are shitty poll choices.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:51 pm

An unwitting tool being utilized by someone even higher... Someone like the Hunt Brothers who tried cornering the silver market.
Last edited by The Serbian Empire on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

This is too bloggish.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:12 pm

This thread is shit. The 1% has as much political infighting as regular America, probably more so. There is no one homogeneous oligarchical group.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Murkwood wrote:This thread is shit. The 1% has as much political infighting as regular America, probably more so. There is no one homogeneous oligarchical group.

I really wish there was then it would revive the CPUSA.
Last edited by Benuty on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Benuty wrote:
Murkwood wrote:This thread is shit. The 1% has as much political infighting as regular America, probably more so. There is no one homogeneous oligarchical group.

I really wish there was then it would revive the CPUSA.

Then I'd have to become the next McCarthy to stop that. :p
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Benuty wrote:I really wish there was then it would revive the CPUSA.

Then I'd have to become the next McCarthy to stop that. :p

I give you ten years before you drink yourself to death after being humiliated in public by an attorney for the US army.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Benuty wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Then I'd have to become the next McCarthy to stop that. :p

I give you ten years before you drink yourself to death after being humiliated in public by an attorney for the US army.

You don't think I'd plan ahead? First day in office, I'd write a bill to ban Military Attorneys, Alcohol, and Communism.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 pm

It's like I clicked on this thread, and as the webpage loaded, I apparently stepped out of a time machine into the 1930s.

What next in the rhetoric game OP? Are we to hear talk about the proletarian cadres, or condemnations of the liberal left as "social fascists"?
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 pm

To be a traitor to a class implies that classes are something of allegiance like nations or teams. You cannot betray a group of people who make a similar amount of money to you.
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:22 pm

The political infighting of The One Percent is along the lines of "I'd like my friends to be in charge of maintaining the status quo, including Our power, privilege and wealth, not the friends of my neighbor who's associated with the other major political party." The only choice, such as it is, the rest of us have is between oligarchs' toadies and oligarchs' whores.
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:It's like I clicked on this thread, and as the webpage loaded, I apparently stepped out of a time machine into the 1930s.

Get used to the feeling. The 2020s are much more likely to look like the 30s than any previous time. The 1530s that is...

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Anglo-California wrote:To be a traitor to a class implies that classes are something of allegiance like nations or teams. You cannot betray a group of people who make a similar amount of money to you.

I submit anyone in the U.S. with an income much below $70,000 who votes Republican is a traitor to his or her class.

Text People
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Text People » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:44 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:It's like I clicked on this thread, and as the webpage loaded, I apparently stepped out of a time machine into the 1930s.

Get used to the feeling. The 2020s are much more likely to look like the 30s than any previous time. The 1530s that is...

Why is that?

Asyir
Minister

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asyir » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Anglo-California wrote:To be a traitor to a class implies that classes are something of allegiance like nations or teams. You cannot betray a group of people who make a similar amount of money to you.

I submit anyone in the U.S. with an income much below $70,000 who votes Republican is a traitor to his or her class.

How so?
Team Pelinal for life!

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:49 am

The political infighting of The One Percent is along the lines of "I'd like my friends to be in charge of maintaining the status quo, including Our power, privilege and wealth, not the friends of my neighbor who's associated with the other major political party." The only choice, such as it is, the rest of us have is between oligarchs' toadies and oligarchs' whores.

Compare Soros and the Koch Brothers. You think they want each other to be in charge? No. The 1%, when they aren't benefiting America by creating jobs and running the economy, are constantly fighting over politics.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Murkwood wrote:Compare Soros and the Koch Brothers. You think they want each other to be in charge? No.

George Soros would be much more comfortable with a Koch Brothers stooge in the White House than he would be with a Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren, and vice versa.

The 1%, when they aren't benefiting America by creating jobs

overseas that don't even pay a living wage in the economies they're situated in

and running the economy,

into the ground with Ponzi schemes like credit default swaps and too-big-to-fail deals where they keep the profit if they win and get the taxpayers to set them up for another trial if they lose

are constantly fighting over politics.

It's like money with them, the number and influence potential of the politicians they own is one of the ways they keep score among themselves.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Geilinor wrote:You're saying that we should have tolerated a violation of the law because Nixon was otherwise a good president? Yes, Nixon enforced school desegregation, ended the Vietnam War, and improved relations with China and the Soviet Union. That doesn't make Watergate any more acceptable.
Yes it does, these good actions make Watergate more acceptable many times over. Richard Nixon was one of the best presidents that the United States has ever had.
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.08

Click here and be a Rough Rider.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 pm

You think they like having a choice of two parties more than the rest of us?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General