NATION

PASSWORD

Prominent MRA group parodies charity for profit.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:What has the MRA Done?
Brought light to issues men face in society and forced people to include it in their narrative of sexism. That's already a leap forward.

That's at best half true. Nobody except people inside your movement are including this in their narrative of sexism. If people do, it's because you'll have accomplished the former, instead of the latter. Speaking of which:

Des-Bal wrote:How about the fact that men are substantially more likely to be the victims of crime,

What, in general, or specific crimes? According to the DoJ, Males were most likely to be victims of drug- and gang-related homicides, but females were more likely to be victims of domestic homicides and sex-related homicides. But sure, that has nothing to do with a generation turned to poverty, gangs, and violence for complex socioeconomic reasons. It's because of the gynocracy or whatever! Men are killed more by strangers, and women more by acquaintances, but that can't have anything to do with weird power dynamics, can it?

He was probably referring to crime in general. And, a "generation" turned to those things? Did you even hear yourself? You do realize it isn't the first and most probably not the last generation to face those problems, nor are those complex socioeconomic reasons that new at all, and that violent crime has been on the downfall for a while now, don't you?

are treated less favorably in the justice system,

Women getting lighter sentences than men is still a sign of the patriarchy. It's condescending to women to give them lighter sentences for the same crimes. This isn't a men's issue.

That it is a sign of patriarchy does not make it any less of a MRA's or men's issue. Your logic is seriously fucked up.

and aren't taken seriously as victims of rape.

This one might actually be able to be taken seriously, if you have any statistics besides that episode of the Boondocks.

We look at sexism from the perspective of men oppressing women but the fact of the matter is the vast majority of men have little or no decision making power in terms of culture law or societal norms.

Thousands of African-Americans face discrimination every day, and it's not from Hispanics. Women can't walk down the street dressed casually without worrying about being hit on by thirty different guys, or far worse. LGBT people face literal campaigns of oppression which they are just now beginning to crawl out from underneath. The perpetrators? Well it ain't low-income Asian immigrants.

Yes, we know, it's every white, middle to upper class middle-to-old-aged male American's fault *nod nod*
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Yes, we know, it's every white, middle to upper class middle-to-old-aged male American *nod nod*

Not every, but dollars to doughnuts entirely. Way to ignore the last paragraph, too guys. :roll:

EDIT: I'm not a feminist, either. I'm on the side of those who think rationally, and the enemy of idiots who pick fights.
Last edited by Twilight Imperium on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 pm

What dickbags.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Condunum wrote:
Twilight Imperium wrote:
What, in general, or specific crimes? According to the DoJ, Males were most likely to be victims of drug- and gang-related homicides, but females were more likely to be victims of domestic homicides and sex-related homicides. But sure, that has nothing to do with a generation turned to poverty, gangs, and violence for complex socioeconomic reasons. It's because of the gynocracy or whatever! Men are killed more by strangers, and women more by acquaintances, but that can't have anything to do with weird power dynamics, can it?

Women getting lighter sentences than men is still a sign of the patriarchy. It's condescending to women to give them lighter sentences for the same crimes. This isn't a men's issue.

No. Absolutely not. Getting more punitive sentences isn't a men's issue. It doesn't matter that men are the ones going for life over stupid things. It's a women's issue. Because they aren't. Yeah. I can totally see the logic in this thinking.

Men have no issues, they are all womens issues, and thus we don't need to spend any time considering their perspective on their problems, since they have none. We only need to consider womens issues.
No, this doesn't cause huge fucking problems when someone who thinks like me obtains authority, such as gearing an institution toward gynocentrism and systematic oppression of males from our pure blindness to our own bigotry.
Feminism 101
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Men have no issues and thus we don't need to spend any time considering their perspective on their problems.
No, this doesn't cause huge fucking problems when someone who thinks like me obtains authority, such as gearing an institution toward gynocentrism and systematic oppression of males.
Feminism 101

Men have very tiny issues which are totally on par with those of oppressed groups, and we must inject that into any and all discussions about those other issues.

No, that doesn't make us look like whiny children who should never obtain authority, and tend to fuck it up when we're given it.

MRA 101

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 pm

MRA Syndrome:

A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Men have no issues and thus we don't need to spend any time considering their perspective on their problems.
No, this doesn't cause huge fucking problems when someone who thinks like me obtains authority, such as gearing an institution toward gynocentrism and systematic oppression of males.
Feminism 101

Men have very tiny issues which are totally on par with those of oppressed groups, and we must inject that into any and all discussions about those other issues.

No, that doesn't make us look like whiny children who should never obtain authority, and tend to fuck it up when we're given it.

MRA 101

So you basically just restate your bigotry and prejudice and act as though it's an argument.
By what standard do you claim men have tiny issues in comparison to women. Try not to use a circular argument.

It isn't that mate. It's that you only give a shit about womens problems. You have a lack of empathy for males, and justify this through the ideological lens of feminism.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Feminism 101

MRA 101

:clap:
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:MRA Syndrome:

A malady affecting a significant portion of the world's population wherein the afflicted will demand special treatment, conduct themselves with a ludicrous, unfounded sense of entitlement, and generally make the lives of everyone around them that much more miserable.

The danger of this disease is that the sufferers rarely, if ever, know that they have contracted it, and continue about their merry way under the assumption that EVERYONE ELSE is the problem.

This condition, if left untreated, can radically alter the carrier's demeanor, to include any of the following: a complete devolution to child-like behavior, temper tantrums, and/or fits of narcissistic rage.

That's not just imperative of MRAs though.

We usually call those self-entitled pricks, instead of MRAs.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:

are treated less favorably in the justice system,

and aren't taken seriously as victims of rape.

This one might actually be able to be taken seriously, if you have any statistics besides that episode of the Boondocks.

Thousands of African-Americans face discrimination every day, and it's not from Hispanics. Women can't walk down the street dressed casually without worrying about being hit on by thirty different guys, or far worse. LGBT people face literal campaigns of oppression which they are just now beginning to crawl out from underneath. The perpetrators? Well it ain't low-income Asian immigrants.

Just about all of them. There are very few crimes where women are more likely to be victimized than men. Why is not the issue, the issue is that men do in fact face problems in society and addressing them from the perspective that they're just women's problems is asinine.

That thing I just said but this time I'm rolling my eyes.

Male rape victims being forced to pay their attackers, forced to penetrate being excluded from rape statistics, the entire culture of acceptance surrounding prison rape and then I kept listing things.

And when your response is "fuck whitey" nothing gets done. When you address a disparity from the perspective that this race or this sex is a problem you are a racist or sexist depending on which you chose. If you're politicking it makes sense, you want a concrete enemy you can define in simple terms but if your trying to create an accurate picture there's no room for that shit.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:So you basically just restate your bigotry and prejudice and act as though it's an argument.
By what standard do you claim men have tiny issues in comparison to women. Try not to use a circular argument.

It isn't that mate. It's that you only give a shit about womens problems. You have a lack of empathy for males, and justify this through the ideological lens of feminism.

I have a lack of empathy for people who can walk down the street without fear of rape, and claim they are as oppressed as women.
I have a lack of empathy for people who can marry as they will, and claim they are as oppressed as gays.
I have a lack of empathy for people whose race has never been a conscious factor, and claim they are as oppressed as minorities.

If that's feminism, fucking sign me up.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Condunum wrote:No. Absolutely not. Getting more punitive sentences isn't a men's issue. It doesn't matter that men are the ones going for life over stupid things. It's a women's issue. Because they aren't. Yeah. I can totally see the logic in this thinking.

Men have no issues, they are all womens issues, and thus we don't need to spend any time considering their perspective on their problems, since they have none. We only need to consider womens issues.
No, this doesn't cause huge fucking problems when someone who thinks like me obtains authority, such as gearing an institution toward gynocentrism and systematic oppression of males from our pure blindness to our own bigotry.
Feminism 101

:roll:

I already acknowledged that there is a lot of sexism towards men. But apparently, men and women always face equal sexism. Everywhere and in everything.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Men face more sexism in criminal justice, family law, domestic violence enforcement, and selective service. Women face more sexism in the workplace, in society at large, online, and in the third world.

To say that the majority of feminists don't acknowledge male issues is incorrect. It takes time to actually solve these issues. Like MRA's do with men, however, feminists seem to focus more on women's issues. I try to centre the discussion.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Cool hatchet job. Is that all you people are good for?
Being sexist and unpleasant?
No wonder people dislike feminists.
Ostro.MOV

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:That's not just imperative of MRAs though.

We usually call those self-entitled pricks, instead of MRAs.

Read Ostroeuropa's signature. 8)

Ostroeuropa wrote:Cool hatchet job. Is that all you people are good for?

I'll stop quoting that when it stops being hilarious. :lol:
Last edited by Twilight Imperium on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Feminism 101

MRA 101

You know, I always find this perspective somewhat puzzling.

Feminism is very often provided as the blanket group/organization/movement for men who feel like confronting societal issues of sexism, including issues like custody provisions, the improper definition of rape and the prejudice against female-on-male rape victims, the societal and even academic large-scale ignoring of domestic violence against males, and a myriad of other issues.
Then, when such are brought up to go alongside feminist causes, they are shouted down as distractions, artificial injections by men only interested in 'mens issues' and therefore misogynists, and labeled as assholes who just don't support womens' rights.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Sounds like a mutation of the feminist syndrome, if you ask me.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Feminism 101

:roll:

I already acknowledged that there is a lot of sexism towards men. But apparently, men and women always face equal sexism. Everywhere and in everything.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. Men face more sexism in criminal justice, family law, domestic violence enforcement, and selective service. Women face more sexism in the workplace, in society at large, online, and in the third world.

To say that the majority of feminists don't acknowledge male issues is incorrect. It takes time to actually solve these issues. Like MRA's do with men, however, feminists seem to focus more on women's issues. I try to centre the discussion.

What third world are we talking about?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Ah, yes. Feminists are so awful, wishing for gender equality and women's rights. Fuck them.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Stop borderline baiting, both of you.

Twilight, there are MRA's who recognise feminism and are pro feminism, while also adding their own discussion into the dialogue by including men's rights issues of criminal justice and family law.

Ostro, I know you're annoyed, but don't bite.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Central Slavia wrote:

Sounds like a mutation of the feminist syndrome, if you ask me.

A system run and organized and controlled and owned by men can't be against them. Jesus christ you sound exactly like capitalists proclaiming every hardship faced by the rich is because the world is set up to hurt them.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Kelinfort wrote: :roll:

What third world are we talking about?

I was using the Cold War era term for nonaligned countries, usually in the Mideast and Southeastern Asia, along with Africa.

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Postby Twilight Imperium » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Twilight, there are MRA's who recognise feminism and are pro feminism, while also adding their own discussion into the dialogue by including men's rights issues of criminal justice and family law.

Sure. But calling yourself a moderate MRA these days is like saying you're one of the nice Black Panthers. It's not going to conjure nice images in the other person's head. :(

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:So you basically just restate your bigotry and prejudice and act as though it's an argument.

I have a lack of empathy for people who can walk down the street without fear of rape, and claim they are as oppressed as women.
I have a lack of empathy for people who can marry as they will, and claim they are as oppressed as gays.
I have a lack of empathy for people whose race has never been a conscious factor, and claim they are as oppressed as minorities.

Asides from blowing stuff out of proportion, I have only ever heard one group trying to make gay issues about themselves, and that are feminists.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:

So you list some problems women have and then act as though this is you winning the argument. Those problems aren't more serious or bigger than some of the problems facing males.
What about the fact that prison rape of males is considered comedic and males rape victims routinely have to put up people telling them they are lucky for being raped and should shutt the fuck up and not be a real man?
What about the fact that men have to put up with a society that raises women to walk down the street FEARING them?
(You have no empathy for blacks, they don't walk down the street fearing getting mugged or anything. Never mind that they actually do. And yes, some males do fear being raped in public.)

What about people who have to sign up for selective service? That's another bureaucratic oppression like marriage bans.

What about prison incarceration rates? That's mirrored in racism and sexism against males too.

But no, just ignore those problems and pretend they dont exist, and then you can keep saying
only women have serious problems.

Well, at least women don't have to put up with fucking bigots derailing gender equality for them in the gender equality movement itself.
(Well, they do. Feminists wont deliver gender equality. Only womens rights. This robs women of equal treatment to men.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Twilight, there are MRA's who recognise feminism and are pro feminism, while also adding their own discussion into the dialogue by including men's rights issues of criminal justice and family law.

Sure. But calling yourself a moderate MRA these days is like saying you're one of the nice Black Panthers. It's not going to conjure nice images in the other person's head. :(

Don't debase the black panthers. There are no MRA community outreach programs. Just a bunch of whiny little kids on the internet screaming about "misandry" and other made up words to describe scenarios that do not exist.

Also, Bonobos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General