NATION

PASSWORD

Statistics Don't Support Rape Culture

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Statistics Don't Support Rape Culture

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:15 pm

So I came across this article while dicking around online.

The way I see it, it makes a lot of sense and strikes me as very honest. My biggest problem with the "rape culture" hysteria is that it's brought about rape shield laws that don't allow the accused to face the accuser, which wouldn't fly for any other crime in a court of law with due process.

There's also the issue that comes with how exactly activists groups go about this. Sexual assault is pretty bad, but honestly I find it infantilizing of women in that the ones who champion rape culture are usually putting all the responsibility on men. Hell, they weren't happy about the nail polish that that can detect date rape drugs in a woman's drink.

I have to wonder if some groups ever want to really end sexual assault, as I imagine they get a good bit of funding and support. It's the same reason why food evangelists like the CSPI won't go away and why ant-smoking groups go after vaporizers like they do cigarettes. There's too much money involved as far as I can tell.

So what say you, NSG?
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed broken link
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I don't agree with the rape culture thing. Yes, rape is very, very bad but it seems to have reached a point where just about anything constitutes sexual harassment (including bad chat-up lines) and drunk sex equals rape.
How exactly am I going to prove consent if I get sued?
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Our Governator
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:59 pm

What do you mean laying all the blame on men? Victims aren't responsible for rape.
"Small L" libertarian, "big R" Republican.
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Liberal Conservative Party
The Heart of a Liberal,
The Brain of a Conservative

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Our Governator wrote:What do you mean laying all the blame on men? Victims aren't responsible for rape.

Men can be the victim of rape too.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Our Governator wrote:What do you mean laying all the blame on men? Victims aren't responsible for rape.

Men can be the victim of rape too.

I never said that they couldn't.
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Settrah
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Settrah » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:42 pm

IMO a lot of sex positive feminists are a sizable influence, towards impressionable young girls (many who don't have emotional maturity yet) putting up with (and seeking) degrading masochistic sexual situations in the first place.

Rapists of course are scum that need justice, but the patriarchy of 'men' aren't the sole influence of rape culture.

Just my views though.
Last edited by Settrah on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
I triggered a dog today by accidentally asking it if it was a good boy. Turns out it was a good aromantic demisexual neutrois. I didn't even know.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 pm

laying blame and responsibility. "Teach men not to rape" is terribly misandric since most know not to do that anyways and are taught to respect women. They're also saying that men need to be responsible for women they don't even know. Like they all need to police everyone and forgo their own safety so that a woman doesn't make a stupid choice.

Plus what happens a lot is that a girl will cheat of her boyfriend or whatever and then she'll cry rape if she's worried about getting caught. Her word against his when it comes to rape shield laws means the guy's most likely gonna get screwed. Besides, men can't be legally raped by a woman, they can just be made to penetrate(and they're supposed to like it).

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Settrah wrote:

IMO a lot of sex positive feminists are a sizable influence, towards impressionable young girls (many who don't have emotional maturity yet) putting up with (and seeking) degrading masochistic sexual situations in the first place.

Rapists of course are scum that need justice, but the patriarchy of 'men' aren't the sole influence of rape culture.

Just my views though.

Last I checked not all feminist are sex positive, some of them are really fucking puritan.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:36 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Settrah wrote:

Just my views though.

Last I checked not all feminist are sex positive, some of them are really fucking puritan.

when it comes to heterosexual sex anyways. there's a reason we're seeing a rise in the Women Against Feminism stuff. it's no longer popular to call yourself a feminist. It scares men away. I honestly like feminism. It provides for good entertainment.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm

You want to be careful not to oversimplify this, as advanced waring.

Also the link in the article that claims "Statistics surrounding sexual assault are notoriously unreliable" doesn't work.

Also to this bit:

But is it accurate? Statistics surrounding sexual assault are notoriously unreliable and inconsistent, primarily because of vague and expansive definitions of what qualifies as sexual assault. Christina Hoff Sommers of the American Enterprise Institute explains that the study often cited as the origin of the "one in five" factoid is an online survey conducted under a grant from the Justice Department. Surveyors employed such a broad definition that "'forced kissing" and even "attempted forced kissing" qualified as sexual assault.

I would indeed consider those things sexual assault.

Also, this article seems to focus upon the inadequacy of the sexual assault tribunals at universities, rather than disproving rape culture.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm

There's a lot of negative connotation that goes with feminism, because most people don't actually know what the fuck it is.

That said, a lot needs to be changed about rape culture.

There needs to be way less tolerance, and far harsher punishments.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Haktiva wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Last I checked not all feminist are sex positive, some of them are really fucking puritan.

when it comes to heterosexual sex anyways. there's a reason we're seeing a rise in the Women Against Feminism stuff. it's no longer popular to call yourself a feminist. It scares men away. I honestly like feminism. It provides for good entertainment.

The issue for me is that a lot of modern feminist are seemingly well...

Tumblrettes.

The bad thing is that you cannot really get a statistic, all of these things as of now are based on personal experience, and well.

If feminist want to better their name they need to push for some survey or whatever.
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

The Arctic Kingdom
Envoy

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Arctic Kingdom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 pm

This thread is going to be a blast
Last edited by The Arctic Kingdom on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Social Liberal Democrat, Shy, Introverted, Socially Awkward, and quite interested in Architecture, Physics, and History
The Arctic Kingdom - a Technologically Advanced, Environmentally Friendly, Socially Progressive Sunalaya Equivalent of Norway and Iceland combined.
Ísland - grundvallaratriðum paradís, en það er betra!

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Spoder wrote:There's a lot of negative connotation that goes with feminism, because most people don't actually know what the fuck it is.

That said, a lot needs to be changed about rape culture.

There needs to be way less tolerance, and far harsher punishments.

for who? false accusers? perps usually get sent to prison and anally raped themselves(that's a real rape culture) unless they're well connected(like football stars or some government jackass's son)

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Statistics don't support rape culture?

Great.

We should still teach our men to be less obsessed with boobs. There's definitely an issue with that.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm

The Arctic Kingdom wrote:This thread is going ti be a blast

that's why I started it. got a few buzzwords in the title.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Yalos wrote:Statistics don't support rape culture?

Great.

We should still teach our men to be less obsessed with boobs. There's definitely an issue with that.

we should also teach women to not dress like sluts by that logic.
Last edited by Haktiva on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Haktiva wrote:. Besides, men can't be legally raped by a woman, they can just be made to penetrate(and they're supposed to like it).

Bullshit.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Great.

Why?

And why not teach women that too? Lesbians exist thank you.

We already as a society condemn rape, a responsible parent already teaches their child not to commit rape, as well as murder and theft.

Hell, some kids apparently already know this shit.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Haktiva wrote:

Great.

Indeed. I'd much rather prefer if the short shorts, revealing shirts and skimpy outfits were replaced with cardigan sweaters and monogram blouses.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Haktiva wrote:

Great.

I would really like to see dresses take a more casual return, I don't see women usually wearing them unless for special occasions now.
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.08

Click here and be a Rough Rider.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Marcurix wrote:
Haktiva wrote:. Besides, men can't be legally raped by a woman, they can just be made to penetrate(and they're supposed to like it).

Bullshit.

Not according to the CDC
The specific types of sexual violence assessed included rape (completed or attempted forced penetration or alcohol- or drug-facilitated penetration) and sexual violence other than rape, including being made to penetrate a perpetrator, sexual coercion (nonphysically pressured unwanted penetration), unwanted sexual contact (e.g., kissing or fondling), and noncontact unwanted sexual experiences (e.g., being flashed or forced to view sexually explicit media).

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Yalos wrote:
Haktiva wrote:we should also teach women to not dress like sluts by that logic.

Indeed. I'd much rather prefer if the short shorts, revealing shirts and skimpy outfits were replaced with cardigan sweaters and monogram blouses.

That would be a dream, we can make it happen.
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.08

Click here and be a Rough Rider.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
Haktiva wrote:we should also teach women to not dress like sluts by that logic.

I would really like to see dresses take a more casual return, I don't see women usually wearing them unless for special occasions now.

I actually really prefer that myself. I hate to say it, but when women have their goods out on full display, it pretty much saturates the sexual market. plus when men have access to porn for free whenever they want it for the most part, most women can't compete with that. I think they dress like that more for attention(unless maybe it's a gaming or comic convention, because guys kinds dress like that too), in that they feel sexy, but aren't looking for a date or a lay. It probably ends up desensitizing a lot of men too.

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:52 pm

I think women dress the way they dress to please themselves. If they wanted to impress dudes, they wouldn't wear clothes.
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General