NATION

PASSWORD

Will the 2010s be notable for the social justice movement?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

will it?

yeah
24%
nah
33%
wah
4%
blah
6%
idk
14%
lol
15%
other
3%

Total votes : 78

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Will the 2010s be notable for the social justice movement?

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 pm

At least, perhaps, to the West, or just the United States.

This has to do with race, sexual orientation, and gender.

I don't think social justice issues used to be so prevalent before the 2010s. Support for same-sex marriage in the United States wasn't very prevalent or popular until a few years ago. It's come to the point where many more established Republicans are just refusing to talk about it.

Referring to yourself as a feminist has become much more in vogue, with figures who previously denied being feminists (such as Taylor Swift, who said she wasn't a feminist because "she didn't hate men") now being feminists. Beyonce's been another major figure in bringing feminism to popular culture, featuring a TEDTalk excerpt from Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (who is a feminist) in one of her songs, and having the word "FEMINIST" come up really big in one of her shows. In high schools, feminist clubs have either been started or been enlarged. My previous high school's feminist club came into being last year, and the size of it greatly expanded this year.

The word "fabulous!~" (and in the voice how everyone imagines it to be pronounced) has also entered popular culture. It is now also more socially acceptable for men to speak in a way that's considered more "feminine," even if he isn't homosexual. I've also noticed that there's been more people doing that. Either that or I have just been coincidentally running into more people who talk like that.

The word "privilege" has recently become pretty big, with many people talking about its effects, or how they believe it doesn't exist. The rise of movements against racism and sexism have also meant reaction in the form of MRAs and those who argue that it is in fact white people who have it hard (with affirmative action at their forefront).

The whole social justice issue has entered popular culture, with movies such as Dear White People coming out, and various websites and blogs dedicated to such issues. Information regarding such issues have also been easier to spread with the rise of social media. Key & Peele, a popular comedy duo, have also addressed the issues regarding race and sexual orientation in many of their skits.

As with anything, though, talk on such issues will eventually fall out of fashion, and we'll move on to discussing other things, especially if bigger issues arise, or we feel that those issues have been addressed in some way or another.

Do you think in a few decades, kids will be learning it for US history/APUSH/whatever as being representative of thought during the Obama era? How do you think people will perceive it? How do you think all this discussion and controversy on the topic will change society in the future?

When race-related things come up in a class on American history, Ferguson is probably definitely coming up, and perhaps the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

Have you noticed how the SJ-related issues have entered popular culture?

I think, eventually, that people will recognize that some groups are more "privileged" than others, even though many today may not believe it. As of current, there's some division, but I think that eventually there will be some sort of general consensus sometime in the future, although perhaps with an initial reaction lasting for a while against what is perceived as being the general excesses of this era.

Sorry that the post is messy, I randomly edited sentences while making this, inserted some here, some there, moved around some stuff, and yeah.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Quilavaland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Quilavaland » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Well they won't be notable in Australia. Tony Abbott's made sure the country moves back to the 1950s and stays there.
I am very far left-wing socially and economically in between capitalism and communism.
I'm sort of a "Radical Centrist", I guess. I support the Australian Green Party most out of any political party, though I don't fully agree with anyone.
Quilava is by far my favourite pokemon as it is cute and badass at the same time and has a fire mohawk!

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:08 pm

To an extent. I predict 2020-2040 will be more notable as each generation becomes more progressive.
Born again free market capitalist.

Prevnina
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prevnina » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:08 pm

I mean, I agree with it all but I just have to make a little point.

Arumdaum wrote:-The word "privilege" has recently become pretty big, with many people talking about its effects, or how they believe it doesn't exist. The rise of movements against racism and sexism have also meant reaction in the form of MRAs and those who argue that it is in fact white people who have it hard (with affirmative action at their forefront).-

I'm pretty sure that most of the time they are saying that whites also have it hard, and not that it is only the whites who are wronged, which is what your one seems to imply, to me anyway.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Lalaki wrote:To an extent. I predict 2020-2040 will be more notable as each generation becomes more progressive.

When it comes to social issues, I think the 1960s are much more notable than the 1970s and the 2000s.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:13 pm

Quilavaland wrote:Well they won't be notable in Australia. Tony Abbott's made sure the country moves back to the 1950s and stays there.

Hasn't it affected Australia through mediums such as social media?

Emerald-Springs
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Emerald-Springs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Less so then the 2020s, when the blogger kiddies are holding jobs and voting.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:15 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Quilavaland wrote:Well they won't be notable in Australia. Tony Abbott's made sure the country moves back to the 1950s and stays there.

Not really. Gay marriage is still illegal there, largely through the dithering of both major political parties that control Parliament.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Hyfling
Minister

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyfling » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Maybe. Although same sex marriage will likely be pretty well accepted by this time, and trans issues will probably be the forefront of future SJ movements I think the 1960s will remain the decade of social justice, what with female and black rights movements all through the the period. A few modern 'internet activists' won't even compare.

I personally think (or maybe hope) that the 2010s and 2020s go down as one of those eras of economic prosperity and mass cultural and social change, along with the 1920s, 1950/60s and 1980s.

Estado Nacional
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Nacional » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Probably, at least in Transatlantic countries, for better or for worse.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Hyfling wrote:Maybe. Although same sex marriage will likely be pretty well accepted by this time, and trans issues will probably be the forefront of future SJ movements I think the 1960s will remain the decade of social justice, what with female and black rights movements all through the the period. A few modern 'internet activists' won't even compare.

I personally think (or maybe hope) that the 2010s and 2020s go down as one of those eras of economic prosperity and mass cultural and social change, along with the 1920s, 1950/60s and 1980s.

It's been way more than a few modern 'internet activists.'

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:27 am

Probably. I find it pretty remarkable how ideas previously limited to academic social sciences & humanities circles have become culturally ubiquitous among young people especially.

Hyfling wrote:Maybe. Although same sex marriage will likely be pretty well accepted by this time, and trans issues will probably be the forefront of future SJ movements I think the 1960s will remain the decade of social justice, what with female and black rights movements all through the the period. A few modern 'internet activists' won't even compare.

I wouldn't call the 80s an era of mass social change, let alone the 50s.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Respawn
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respawn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:35 am

Arumdaum wrote:

Social justice has come to Australia via those that talk to the dead? Intriguing..

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:54 am

Arumdaum wrote:At least, perhaps, to the West, or just the United States.

This has to do with race, sexual orientation, and gender.

I don't think social justice issues used to be so prevalent before the 2010s. Support for same-sex marriage in the United States wasn't very prevalent or popular until a few years ago. It's come to the point where many more established Republicans are just refusing to talk about it.

Referring to yourself as a feminist has become much more in vogue, with figures who previously denied being feminists (such as Taylor Swift, who said she wasn't a feminist because "she didn't hate men") now being feminists. Beyonce's been another major figure in bringing feminism to popular culture, featuring a TEDTalk excerpt from Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (who is a feminist) in one of her songs, and having the word "FEMINIST" come up really big in one of her shows. In high schools, feminist clubs have either been started or been enlarged. My previous high school's feminist club came into being last year, and the size of it greatly expanded this year.

The word "fabulous!~" (and in the voice how everyone imagines it to be pronounced) has also entered popular culture. It is now also more socially acceptable for men to speak in a way that's considered more "feminine," even if he isn't homosexual. I've also noticed that there's been more people doing that. Either that or I have just been coincidentally running into more people who talk like that.

The word "privilege" has recently become pretty big, with many people talking about its effects, or how they believe it doesn't exist. The rise of movements against racism and sexism have also meant reaction in the form of MRAs and those who argue that it is in fact white people who have it hard (with affirmative action at their forefront).

The whole social justice issue has entered popular culture, with movies such as Dear White People coming out, and various websites and blogs dedicated to such issues. Information regarding such issues have also been easier to spread with the rise of social media. Key & Peele, a popular comedy duo, have also addressed the issues regarding race and sexual orientation in many of their skits.

As with anything, though, talk on such issues will eventually fall out of fashion, and we'll move on to discussing other things, especially if bigger issues arise, or we feel that those issues have been addressed in some way or another.

Do you think in a few decades, kids will be learning it for US history/APUSH/whatever as being representative of thought during the Obama era? How do you think people will perceive it? How do you think all this discussion and controversy on the topic will change society in the future?

When race-related things come up in a class on American history, Ferguson is probably definitely coming up, and perhaps the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

Have you noticed how the SJ-related issues have entered popular culture?

I think, eventually, that people will recognize that some groups are more "privileged" than others, even though many today may not believe it. As of current, there's some division, but I think that eventually there will be some sort of general consensus sometime in the future, although perhaps with an initial reaction lasting for a while against what is perceived as being the general excesses of this era.

Sorry that the post is messy, I randomly edited sentences while making this, inserted some here, some there, moved around some stuff, and yeah.

I don't think it will be the most notable here. We have some more pressing matters to turn to (Russia, IS, future of Europe, etc.). Besides, we (the Dutch) had the '90s to solve a lot of the issues. At least when it comes to sexual orientation. The other two are a bit more tricky.
The Blaatschapen should resign

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 am

Good, social justice is reasonable in inhumanely oppressive settings. However, when you're living in a first world nation and have the luxury of democracy; the horses should be held tight.
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.08

Click here and be a Rough Rider.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 am

It's far too early to tell. I suspect that the sudden opening of marriage rights and increased marijuana legalization will be defining topics, though considering that we still have six years left in which nearly anything can happen, those could easily be overshadowed by other issues. I don't think that we'll be defined by those issues in the same way that the 60s were, though, or to the same degree.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:02 am

Arumdaum wrote:When race-related things come up in a class on American history, Ferguson is probably definitely coming up, and perhaps the shooting of Trayvon Martin.
It's going to be a bumpy ride, an incredibly somber, bumpy ride.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 am

T Roosevelt wrote:

Good, social justice is reasonable in inhumanely oppressive settings. However, when you're living in a first world nation and have the luxury of democracy; the horses should be held tight.

Why? And do it without the old-timey metaphor.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:12 am

dem delusions of relevance

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 am

From the perspective of someone in their fifties, it hasn't really stood out as that to me, just a quite good decade in the continuous erosion of bad ideas.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:19 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:It's far too early to tell. I suspect that the sudden opening of marriage rights and increased marijuana legalization will be defining topics, though considering that we still have six years left in which nearly anything can happen, those could easily be overshadowed by other issues. I don't think that we'll be defined by those issues in the same way that the 60s were, though, or to the same degree.
I wouldn't set foot at any gay wedding but I will give gay marriage a chance to be implemented. Gay marriage isn't as terrible an evil as marijuana. Two gay people getting married won't give the 'couple' lymphoma, it won't make them less high-yielding, economically. Gay marriage is a fashion, while marijuana kills.
Last edited by T Roosevelt on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:From the perspective of someone in their fifties, it hasn't really stood out as that to me, just a quite good decade in the continuous erosion of bad ideas.

That's a nice turn of phrase.

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:Good, social justice is reasonable in inhumanely oppressive settings. However, when you're living in a first world nation and have the luxury of democracy; the horses should be held tight.

Less men and women are able to start strong families during apartheid. Everyone should have the right to build a family but has the duty to raise it when they do.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 am

T Roosevelt wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Less men and women are able to start strong families during apartheid. Everyone should have the right to build a family but has the duty to raise it when they do.

Okay...I'm not sure how social justice keeps people from raising strong families in first world democracies.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 am

I always associated social justice with primarily economic issues such as homelessness and poverty. These economic issues need to be given a lot more prominence in the same way that issues of marital and race equality have been.

As to whether or not this decade will be notable for the movement I think it may be the 20's that will be much more notable. The groundwork is being laid now, but the real advances will likely come after 2020.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General