NATION

PASSWORD

Gamergate, Feminisim, and Journalistic Ethics

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Beta Test
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 am

Gauthier wrote:
Beta Test wrote:So? That's not the point. The conflict of interest is there. The writer gives it a positive review, causing people to buy the game. It's a breach of the trust of the audience of the writer.

Buy? Yep, that's a sure sign you did not even bother to do research. Depression Quest was a free game.

Oh that's right. Fucking hell I forgot about that. That's embarrassing. :oops:

Despite this. The point remains. It's a breach of trust to recommend anything if you have a close, personal relationship with the creator without disclosing this information.
Last edited by Beta Test on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Coalition of Workers and Farmers
Michael Ferreira: President of the Senate
Philip Awad: Former Secretary of Rural Development

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:26 am

Beta Test wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Buy? Yep, that's a sure sign you did not even bother to do research. Depression Quest was a free game.

Oh that's right. Fucking hell I forgot about that. That's embarrassing. :oops:

Despite this. The point remains. It's a breach of trust to recommend anything if you have a close, personal relationship with the creator without disclosing this information.

I want to have a close personal relationship with the bacon in your flag. Is that enough disclosure?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Beta Test
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:30 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Beta Test wrote:Oh that's right. Fucking hell I forgot about that. That's embarrassing. :oops:

I want to have a close personal relationship with the bacon in your flag. Is that enough disclosure?

Yes it is. You may proceed.
Member of the Coalition of Workers and Farmers
Michael Ferreira: President of the Senate
Philip Awad: Former Secretary of Rural Development

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:50 am

Dyakovo wrote:1: Again, it's a free game. What was she supposedly gaining from this?

League of Legends is free to play. Revenues from the game are getting close to $1B per year.

Being free to play doesn't mean the creator can't figure out how to monetize it somehow (potentially), and even if they don't, games like that are resume-builders that get you jobs in other places. If they're good enough.
2: It casts a poor light on the opinion of the Judge she slept with (and on her). I don't see how the other judges are tarnished by the actions of one.

It casts a poor light on the opinion of the judges she had a close personal relationship... and because panels of judges generally deliberate, and even non-deliberatory panels can have a margin solely dependent on how a single judge casts their ballot, that damages the whole panel.
3: You mean the blog post where the guy repeatedly says that the claims about Maya unverified )and possibly unverifiable)?

That blog isn't the origin of that claim. Neither is this one.

Whether or not they actually slept together, they did have a close personal relationship, which went undisclosed going onto the panel; and she's tied through her job to many of the smaller media outlets that gave ZQ early favorable coverage after the scandal broke.
4: Yes, he was her boss. Yes, sleeping with your boss is a professional ethics problem. However, "GamerGate" is supposedly about journalistic ethics (and indeed this is what I asked about) and neither Zoe Quinn nor Joshua Boggs are journalists...

Which explains why Joshua Boggs hasn't gotten as much attention as, say, Nathan Grayson from actual GamerGaters.

As you may have noticed, I've talked about the whole of the pattern of ethical lapses. These are divided into two categories, professional ethics and personal efforts, which overlap, and that list was headed as a list of professional ethics lapses.
The Black Forrest wrote:It's fascinating to see the people you defend.

I mentioned two people in that post, Zoe Quinn and Michael Vick, and drew a comparison which more or less used Michael Vick as a standard to talk about how bad Zoe Quinn was.

You may need to look at the meaning of the word "defend." You appear to be somewhat confused on the matter.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:24 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:I would like to invent my own theorem. It's called the EbilGamerGate theorem.

Acts by any crazy misogynist douchebags on the internet are not just a few crazy people, perhaps coming out of the woodwork as an unintended side-effect of GamerGate, but are rather evidence of a GamerGate plot to discredit their own movement and make people pissed off at them, by allowing the media to further strawman them as crazy sexist terrorist rapists.

Brianna Wu posted some memes on 8chan. GamerGate people and their ilk made some parody memes, and she called it garbage and blamed GamerGate for it.

Then, someone posted her personal details, leading to wankers being wankers, since they know they can get their five minutes of fame if they send her death/rape threats.

So, to sum up. Wankers gon' Wank.
The media circus around this is intensifying it, not making it go away.
Generally, when people receive death threats, they should be kept quiet and simply inform the authorities if it seems genuine.
It allows the authorities to determine which threats are legitimate by reducing the amount of people giving these threats for a mere stunt.
It is not linked to GamerGate, or at the absolute maximum, very tenuously linked to it.
Sarkeesian has been getting shit since before GamerGate started.
Brianna Wu got shit, again, from someone not linked to GamerGate.
I hate these assholes as much as anyone, but to call GamerGaters mysogynist rapist terrorists as bad as ISIS because of people not even linked to it is horse shit.
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:36 am

Beta Test wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok. Did you play DQ?

All that positive effort is lost when the game turns out to be a dud.

DQ only got attention because the gamegaters starting whining about the situation.

If they remained quiet; DQ would have died a quiet death.

So? That's not the point. The conflict of interest is there. The writer gives it a positive review, causing people to buy the game. It's a breach of the trust of the audience of the writer.

1: The game was never reviewed by someone Zoe Quinn slept with/was alleged to have slept with.
2: The game is free, so no-one bought the game.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 am

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:1: Again, it's a free game. What was she supposedly gaining from this?

League of Legends is free to play. Revenues from the game are getting close to $1B per year.

Being free to play doesn't mean the creator can't figure out how to monetize it somehow (potentially), and even if they don't, games like that are resume-builders that get you jobs in other places. If they're good enough.
2: It casts a poor light on the opinion of the Judge she slept with (and on her). I don't see how the other judges are tarnished by the actions of one.

It casts a poor light on the opinion of the judges she had a close personal relationship... and because panels of judges generally deliberate, and even non-deliberatory panels can have a margin solely dependent on how a single judge casts their ballot, that damages the whole panel.
3: You mean the blog post where the guy repeatedly says that the claims about Maya unverified )and possibly unverifiable)?

That blog isn't the origin of that claim. Neither is this one.

Whether or not they actually slept together, they did have a close personal relationship, which went undisclosed going onto the panel; and she's tied through her job to many of the smaller media outlets that gave ZQ early favorable coverage after the scandal broke.
4: Yes, he was her boss. Yes, sleeping with your boss is a professional ethics problem. However, "GamerGate" is supposedly about journalistic ethics (and indeed this is what I asked about) and neither Zoe Quinn nor Joshua Boggs are journalists...

Which explains why Joshua Boggs hasn't gotten as much attention as, say, Nathan Grayson from actual GamerGaters.

As you may have noticed, I've talked about the whole of the pattern of ethical lapses. These are divided into two categories, professional ethics and personal efforts, which overlap, and that list was headed as a list of professional ethics lapses.
The Black Forrest wrote:It's fascinating to see the people you defend.

I mentioned two people in that post, Zoe Quinn and Michael Vick, and drew a comparison which more or less used Michael Vick as a standard to talk about how bad Zoe Quinn was.

You may need to look at the meaning of the word "defend." You appear to be somewhat confused on the matter.

1: There is no mechanism for earning money from Depression Quest.
2: Yeah, still not seeing how the possible impropriety of one judge hurts the credibility of the rest of the judges.
3: Not getting the point are you? Your own source was saying there's no evidence to back up that claim.
4: So, basically you're admitting that it has absolutely nothing to do with what GamerGate is supposed to be about and does not in anyway address the challenge I gave you, and yet you included it anyway.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:45 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It occurs to me that even if it was true that she was fucking someone from the industry (and that has been proven to be false), who the fuck cares? It's her life.

And even if the ex's statements of abuse were proven to be true, gamergaters are not making this their agenda so talking about gamergaters on the concept of male abuse from women is like talking about the merits of orange jelly when people are establishing we're talking about the merits of peanut butter. Simply not relevant to the discussion.

Now, if there was a movement that was focused on male abouse from women THEN it is relevant to talk about and share experiences from male abuse form women and how is it wrong, but this isn't the fucking issue here, or at least that's what they're trying to sell us.

that is certainly the problem *I* have with this issue and this thread. no matter that the pro gamergate posters insist that its about bad journalism, whenever I drop in to read about it all that is being discussed is gossip about zoe Quinn.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:what places are those?

A couple people have made claims of hurting sites. But, no numbers offered.

ya but what sites would those be if they existed? what KIND of sites even?
whatever

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
And even if the ex's statements of abuse were proven to be true, gamergaters are not making this their agenda so talking about gamergaters on the concept of male abuse from women is like talking about the merits of orange jelly when people are establishing we're talking about the merits of peanut butter. Simply not relevant to the discussion.

Now, if there was a movement that was focused on male abouse from women THEN it is relevant to talk about and share experiences from male abuse form women and how is it wrong, but this isn't the fucking issue here, or at least that's what they're trying to sell us.

that is certainly the problem *I* have with this issue and this thread. no matter that the pro gamergate posters insist that its about bad journalism, whenever I drop in to read about it all that is being discussed is gossip about zoe Quinn.

Exactly. I mean, where was this crusade for journalistic ethics when Jeff Gerstmann was fired from a gaming website for publishing a negative review for a game that was heavily advertised on that site? or during 'Doritogate', when another game journalist spent his coverage of a game surrounded by marketing materials and merchandise for that game? Why is it that 'GamerGate' has chosen a he-said-she-said tale in which the journalist didn't actually do anything 'corrupt' as it's rallying cry? I mean, make hay about Zoe Quinn all you like, but let's not pretend it has anything to do with 'GamerGate's actual stated goals.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 am

Avenio wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:that is certainly the problem *I* have with this issue and this thread. no matter that the pro gamergate posters insist that its about bad journalism, whenever I drop in to read about it all that is being discussed is gossip about zoe Quinn.

Exactly. I mean, where was this crusade for journalistic ethics when Jeff Gerstmann was fired from a gaming website for publishing a negative review for a game that was heavily advertised on that site? or during 'Doritogate', when another game journalist spent his coverage of a game surrounded by marketing materials and merchandise for that game? Why is it that 'GamerGate' has chosen a he-said-she-said tale in which the journalist didn't actually do anything 'corrupt' as it's rallying cry? I mean, make hay about Zoe Quinn all you like, but let's not pretend it has anything to do with 'GamerGate's actual stated goals.

just the pretense that there is something compelling about the charge that a woman who has a crappy free game used her charm to get noticed is ridiculous (and gossip) when there are actual problems with big time companies paying for good reviews on big time outlets (or using their "charm" to get good reviews in whatever way that happens).

and, for god's sake, it is a problem in ALL reviews in ALL industries. only a naif doesn't know that reviewers aren't always honest or helpful in their reviews. who goes to a movie because the guy from the sacramento bee raved about it?
whatever

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006

Postby Xomic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:15 am

Ashmoria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
A couple people have made claims of hurting sites. But, no numbers offered.

Presumably, those sites practicing the corrupt gaming journalism. In particular, Mercades Benz has pulled out of Gawker media, when it was pointed out to them that Sam Biddle were caught posting things such as this, during anti-bullying month no less. Intel pulled its ads from Gamesutra. There's also been rumors of Bonobos pulling out (of Gawker) as well. It's also been suggested, in the manner of a third party/rumor that it's likely that other companies will not be so interested in advertising on gaming websites in the future, and if they do, they'll ask for lower rates.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 am

Xomic wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Presumably, those sites practicing the corrupt gaming journalism. In particular, Mercades Benz has pulled out of Gawker media, when it was pointed out to them that Sam Biddle were caught posting things such as this, during anti-bullying month no less. Intel pulled its ads from Gamesutra. There's also been rumors of Bonobos pulling out (of Gawker) as well. It's also been suggested, in the manner of a third party/rumor that it's likely that other companies will not be so interested in advertising on gaming websites in the future, and if they do, they'll ask for lower rates.

no the poster was talking about those awful feminists and how this whole thing has been bad for them.
whatever

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 am

If we are to break the corporate stranglehold on gaming journalism, we should foster an environment of competition where anyone is allowed to make a game, and thus should also abolish console gaming.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006

Postby Xomic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:31 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Xomic wrote:

no the poster was talking about those awful feminists and how this whole thing has been bad for them.

Such a poster is delusional.

Regardless of what you may think of Gamergate,or it's goals or drives, it's unlikely people like Anita are being hurt financially by this.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:43 am

Beta Test wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok. Did you play DQ?

DQ only got attention because the gamegaters starting whining about the situation.

So? That's not the point. The conflict of interest is there. The writer gives it a positive review, causing people to buy the game. It's a breach of the trust of the audience of the writer.

Ok. So you haven't looked at DQ.

How do you buy a free game?

And as mentioned many times in this thread. Hasn't the breech of trust already been violated when the site or publication has game ads?

I don't see much of an issue in this particular instance as I don't use paid game reviews to decide my games.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:46 am

Tahar Joblis wrote:I mentioned two people in that post, Zoe Quinn and Michael Vick, and drew a comparison which more or less used Michael Vick as a standard to talk about how bad Zoe Quinn was.

Now you are being disingenuous. I have been on the site for awhile and seen you go on your rants many times.

It is fascinating to see who you defend.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 am

Czechanada wrote:If we are to break the corporate stranglehold on gaming journalism, we should foster an environment of competition where anyone is allowed to make a game, and thus should also abolish console gaming.

That will not happen because people still have this habit of needing money and gamers aren't willing to spend enough to free a publication from the need for ads.

As mentioned previously, there was once a magazine in the Mac arena that wrote hard hitting reviews. It went out of business when all software companies pulled their ads as the magazine wasn't fair.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 am

Xomic wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:no the poster was talking about those awful feminists and how this whole thing has been bad for them.

Such a poster is delusional.

Regardless of what you may think of Gamergate,or it's goals or drives, it's unlikely people like Anita are being hurt financially by this.

Indeed. Madonna was a master at using bad publicity to her advantage. As somebody once said there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Like I said before. Gamergate was the best thing that every happened for DQ. Left on it's own; it would have died a quiet death.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 am

Beta Test wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok. Did you play DQ?

See, that's the thing - neither Grayson or Kotaku ever wrote a review of Depression Quest.Grayson only wrote a piece dealing with Quinn's involvement with an unrelated botched reality show, and that was evidently before they ever became involved. No wrongdoing was committed.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:16 am

Avenio wrote:
Beta Test wrote:So? That's not the point. The conflict of interest is there. The writer gives it a positive review, causing people to buy the game. It's a breach of the trust of the audience of the writer.

See, that's the thing - neither Grayson or Kotaku ever wrote a review of Depression Quest.Grayson only wrote a piece dealing with Quinn's involvement with an unrelated botched reality show, and that was evidently before they ever became involved. No wrongdoing was committed.

Obviously they are lying *nods*

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 am

Tahar Joblis wrote:

League of Legends is a freemium

Sure, your starting characters are free, but they suck and you are forced to pay if you want to have access to better stuff before everyone else.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:I know feminists and other people behind Quinn and supporting her are trying to say that this is a problem, but not a problem to persecute women, and I think this is what deters the gamergaters and the feminists behind this as well, that both are focusing on Quinn, and the focus shouldn't be on Quinn. As long as the focus is on her, this is going to keep attracting misogynistic characters; because who else would capitalize out of making female reviewers and female gamers and game developers look bad than misogynists themselves?

Anyone who thinks this is about Zoe Quinn needs to get off twitter and look into the discussions going on 8chan, reddit, and so on.

Social media has always been home to scum (and the people threatening Sarkeesian et. al. are precisely that), and to pretend that the only discussion of the so-called Gamergate movement is restricted to just twitter is outright lunacy at this stage.

We've had people being investigated under RICO (Phil Fish comes to mind), and while people keep saying stuff like this:

Indeed, to react as they have is to prove that they’ve already lost.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that the anti-Gamergate side has also run out of arguments, because it seems that any time I see it in the news (most recently, a column by Brianna Wu for the Washington Post), the only discussion is about the harassment. Not that Phil Fish and some of his business partners and friends are being accused of racketeering. Not the meat and potatoes of whether or not people like Anita Sarkeesian have valid points about issues relating to gender and gaming. Not anything substantive. Just more mewling about abuse.

I'm not trying to belittle the abuse going on. But to make it the primary focus of “this is why a thing is bad” is foolishness, especially when you start prying open the (perfectly civil) discussions going on elsewhere, and even with people holding different views discussing this matter like adults.

tl;dr, abuse bad, discussion good, and all the screeching about abuse does is quash discussion and dissent, which if the social justice movement was in the right on these various issues, they would have no need for quashing discussion.
Last edited by Arkinesia on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:I know feminists and other people behind Quinn and supporting her are trying to say that this is a problem, but not a problem to persecute women, and I think this is what deters the gamergaters and the feminists behind this as well, that both are focusing on Quinn, and the focus shouldn't be on Quinn. As long as the focus is on her, this is going to keep attracting misogynistic characters; because who else would capitalize out of making female reviewers and female gamers and game developers look bad than misogynists themselves?

Anyone who thinks this is about Zoe Quinn needs to get off twitter and look into the discussions going on 8chan, reddit, and so on.

Social media has always been home to scum (and the people threatening Sarkeesian et. al. are precisely that), and to pretend that the only discussion of the so-called Gamergate movement is restricted to just twitter is outright lunacy at this stage.

We've had people being investigated under RICO (Phil Fish comes to mind), and while people keep saying stuff like this:

Indeed, to react as they have is to prove that they’ve already lost.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that the anti-Gamergate side has also run out of arguments, because it seems that any time I see it in the news (most recently, a column by Brianna Wu for the Washington Post), the only discussion is about the harassment. Not that Phil Fish and some of his business partners and friends are being accused of racketeering. Not the meat and potatoes of whether or not people like Anita Sarkeesian have valid points about issues relating to gender and gaming. Not anything substantive. Just more mewling about abuse.

I'm not trying to belittle the abuse going on. But to make it the primary focus of “this is why a thing is bad” is foolishness, especially when you start prying open the (perfectly civil) discussions going on elsewhere, and even with people holding different views discussing this matter like adults.

tl;dr, abuse bad, discussion good, and all the screeching about abuse does is quash discussion and dissent, which if the social justice movement was in the right on these various issues, they would have no need for quashing discussion.

So what discussion has there been about what to actually do about the journalistic ethics problems in the videogame industry?
Married to Koshka

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 am

*Secret post*
Last edited by Gravlen on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General