NATION

PASSWORD

Russian Federation (And other forms of Russia)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:07 pm

The balkens wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:RSFSR would likely have done much better than RF has done.

Debatable but understandable considering your beliefs and ideals.

I just think so considering that the economy of RF went downhill for a good decade, and the USSR's economy was just stagnant. Of course, it would have experienced some trouble due to loss of USSR's resources, but when Belarus returned to a partially planned economy, it got better much faster than Russia did.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:10 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The balkens wrote:

I just think so considering that the economy of RF went downhill for a good decade, and the USSR's economy was just stagnant. Of course, it would have experienced some trouble due to loss of USSR's resources, but when Belarus returned to a partially planned economy, it got better much faster than Russia did.

You mean command economy right?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:11 pm

The balkens wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I just think so considering that the economy of RF went downhill for a good decade, and the USSR's economy was just stagnant. Of course, it would have experienced some trouble due to loss of USSR's resources, but when Belarus returned to a partially planned economy, it got better much faster than Russia did.

Belarus has a partially planned economy, not a fully planned. It's about 50/50 IIRC.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm

The balkens wrote:

Belarus has a partially planned economy, not a fully planned. It's about 50/50 IIRC.

Ah.

Danke Kamerad UMN

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:42 pm

The balkens wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Belarus has a partially planned economy, not a fully planned. It's about 50/50 IIRC.

Ah.

Danke Kamerad UMN

*Спасибо, товарищ УМН.

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 am

Roski wrote:
Bojikami wrote:No. No, it really isnt.

^^^

Yeah, well we don't know...
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:56 am

Well... My opinion of Russia is not very good. Terrible, in fact. More than terrible, really. It's really very, very, very low. Because, well... Russia's never really on its best behavior, is it?

[/trying to phrase it in the most polite way possible]
The Confederated Free Cities and Departments of the Catalarguense Commonwealth
“Invikta" - "Unconquered"
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:>jesus: the secret muslim
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

Current Foreign Involvements
None

Miscellany
The Litorean Catholic Church recognizes the authority of the Roman Curia

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:18 pm

I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Cata Larga wrote:Well... My opinion of Russia is not very good. Terrible, in fact. More than terrible, really. It's really very, very, very low. Because, well... Russia's never really on its best behavior, is it?

You shouldn't disregard the entirety of Russian culture and history due to current politics.

Any decent biography of Peter the Great is well worth the read, for instance. It's really hard to dislike a guy who held one of the world's longest parties.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:57 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Cata Larga wrote:Well... My opinion of Russia is not very good. Terrible, in fact. More than terrible, really. It's really very, very, very low. Because, well... Russia's never really on its best behavior, is it?

You shouldn't disregard the entirety of Russian culture and history due to current politics.

Any decent biography of Peter the Great is well worth the read, for instance. It's really hard to dislike a guy who held one of the world's longest parties.

Perhaps, but, well... It's hard to celebrate the culture of a country that has a long history of autocracy (or, at best, oligarchy) which it continues to uphold, at least as a Westerner.

Though their major role in the fall of Nazi Germany is much appreciated, historically speaking.
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

None

Miscellany

Grand Russian Federation
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Russian Federation » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:You shouldn't disregard the entirety of Russian culture and history due to current politics.

Perhaps, but, well... It's hard to celebrate the culture of a country that has a long history of autocracy (or, at best, oligarchy) which it continues to uphold, at least as a Westerner.

Though their major role in the fall of Nazi Germany is much appreciated, historically speaking.

Culture is separate from politics.

Don't bash them just because Russian rulers are, as you say, autocrats or oligarchs.
Even then those autocrat days are far gone.
R.I.P Tuva SSR, Unjustly deleted on 30/8/2014

If you RP with me, you accept my tech and history.
IC Name - Federated Commune of Russlavia

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Grand Russian Federation wrote:
Cata Larga wrote:Perhaps, but, well... It's hard to celebrate the culture of a country that has a long history of autocracy (or, at best, oligarchy) which it continues to uphold, at least as a Westerner.

Don't bash them just because Russian rulers are, as you say, autocrats or oligarchs.

Well, looking at Putin, it seems their specter's still around, at least.
Quotes
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

None

Miscellany

Maldovania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Maldovania » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I like Russia

I like the Russian people

i like Russian history

i like Russian culture

There is a lot of stuff i like about Russia

But i don`t like the Russian government

that is all i will say

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Maldovania wrote:I like Russia

I like the Russian people

i like Russian history

i like Russian culture

There is a lot of stuff i like about Russia

But i don`t like the Russian government

that is all i will say

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 pm

#SergeyMironov2018!
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Jetan wrote:1) And it was an incorrect one as he very clearly specifies Crimea.
2)If you don't mind I'll drop this one as we've gone through the whole de facto vs de jure thing plenty of times before. I doubt either of us will convince the other.
3) And according to Shofercias logic all I need to do is rig the election and then claim that I would have won anyway, so it's totally okay.
4) You are the one constructing strawmen here. You asked if I'd support a democratic referendum in Crimea and I answered I would if Ukraine agreed to it. You then proceeded to talk about murderous government and when called out on your bullshit just started your usual mantra of "strawman, skillful strawman!".
5) A simple yes or no. How hard can that be? I'm dissapointed Shof.
6) And you on the other hand are god's gift to NSG.

1. He said "will of the people" not "referendum". Do you not comprehend that the will of the people can be expressed when said people answer polling questions?
2. Mine's factually correct, if you want to live in a world without facts, go for it!
3. Not what I said. My point was that if the person who won a rigged election would've won a fair election, and we have clear evidence of that, the election expresses the will of the people, even if it's rigged.
4. I'm just going to post the quotes, since I'm tired of your bullshit:

Me: "Nice try to get out of the situation you put yourself in, but no cigar, so let me cut through the potentially grotesque amount of bullshit and ask you straight up: if Crimea holds a referendum that's as democratic as the Californian Proposition Process vote, (I challenge anyone to find a more democratic event,) would you accept those results, even if they are to unite with Russia?"
You: "If the referendum was approved of before the fact by Ukraine (in similiar vein as the Scottish referendum was approved of before the fact by UK) then ofcourse I would."
Me: "Oh, so if you have a murderous government, from whom the people want to secede, they have to first get said government's approval. And if the government opts to kill the delegation instead? Oh wait, you wouldn't care about that, nevermind."
You: "Because Ukraine was totes murdering Crimean inhabitants when Russia walzed in and occupied the place. Oh wait..."
Me: "I was providing yet another example of the stupidity of the claim that one must first get approval from the central government before secession. I wasn't actually claiming that war occurred in Crimea. Nice strawman though."

5. I was pointing out that your post was condescending towards Africa; I wasn't equating condescension with standards of living.
6. Considering that I'm a Christian, that I believe that every life is a Gift, and that I post on NSG, thank you! It's funny, you're trying to be sarcastic, but you end up making a decent statement. Thank you for that.

1. "As for Crimea - people of that peninsula expressed their will to re-unite with Russia." Do continue saying it was not about Crimea. Really, it's getting entertaining.
2. Ah, Should have know agreeing to disagree is too sophisticated for you. No, yours is not 2factually correct" it is your own opinion and preference and nothing more.
3. Be that as it may it is irrelevant. If that position is accepted as the prevailing one sooner or later someone will try to abuse it.
4. Do go on. That just proves me correct.
5. So what if it's condescending or not? That's completely irrelevant. Yes or No please.
6. It was not an "attempt", how ever you want to spin it but sure.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Cata Larga wrote:
Grand Russian Federation wrote:

Well, looking at Putin, it seems their specter's still around, at least.

He's not as autocratic as previous rulers.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 pm

The balkens wrote:

Belarus was better off financially and economically than Russia was at the beginning of the 90's. It was also better developed, which meant that it didn't (and still doesn't) have the same issues with regards to infrastructure that Russia is still dealing with.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Jetan wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
1. He said "will of the people" not "referendum". Do you not comprehend that the will of the people can be expressed when said people answer polling questions?
2. Mine's factually correct, if you want to live in a world without facts, go for it!
3. Not what I said. My point was that if the person who won a rigged election would've won a fair election, and we have clear evidence of that, the election expresses the will of the people, even if it's rigged.
4. I'm just going to post the quotes, since I'm tired of your bullshit:

Me: "Nice try to get out of the situation you put yourself in, but no cigar, so let me cut through the potentially grotesque amount of bullshit and ask you straight up: if Crimea holds a referendum that's as democratic as the Californian Proposition Process vote, (I challenge anyone to find a more democratic event,) would you accept those results, even if they are to unite with Russia?"
You: "If the referendum was approved of before the fact by Ukraine (in similiar vein as the Scottish referendum was approved of before the fact by UK) then ofcourse I would."
Me: "Oh, so if you have a murderous government, from whom the people want to secede, they have to first get said government's approval. And if the government opts to kill the delegation instead? Oh wait, you wouldn't care about that, nevermind."
You: "Because Ukraine was totes murdering Crimean inhabitants when Russia walzed in and occupied the place. Oh wait..."
Me: "I was providing yet another example of the stupidity of the claim that one must first get approval from the central government before secession. I wasn't actually claiming that war occurred in Crimea. Nice strawman though."

5. I was pointing out that your post was condescending towards Africa; I wasn't equating condescension with standards of living.
6. Considering that I'm a Christian, that I believe that every life is a Gift, and that I post on NSG, thank you! It's funny, you're trying to be sarcastic, but you end up making a decent statement. Thank you for that.

1. "As for Crimea - people of that peninsula expressed their will to re-unite with Russia." Do continue saying it was not about Crimea. Really, it's getting entertaining.
2. Ah, Should have know agreeing to disagree is too sophisticated for you. No, yours is not 2factually correct" it is your own opinion and preference and nothing more.
3. Be that as it may it is irrelevant. If that position is accepted as the prevailing one sooner or later someone will try to abuse it.
4. Do go on. That just proves me correct.
5. So what if it's condescending or not? That's completely irrelevant. Yes or No please.
6. It was not an "attempt", how ever you want to spin it but sure.

1. It was partially about Crimea. The Will of the People in Crimea. And the DonBass Republic. But yeah, he did say Will of the People in the Crimea. That's been my point all long.
2. The fact that Crimea's status is de facto Russian, and de jure, disputed, is a fact. It's not up for debate. Russia factually controls the peninsula.
3. My point was that just because an election was rigged, doesn't mean that the most popular candidate didn't win. If a person wins with 70% of the vote, and only 15% of the election could be rigged, then said person clearly won, because the worst case scenario, in my hypo, is him/her getting 55% of the vote. That's my point. You not only have to prove that an election was rigged, but you also have to prove that said election's rigging led to the defeat of a party that would otherwise emerged victorious. That's my point. It's not about systematic abuse.
4. I'll leave that up to the reader to decide, but you can continue with the "hurr durr I b right!"
5. My point was that it was condescending, and that some of the countries on your "shitlist" are countries that I'd love to visit and even live in. That was my entire point; what am I supposed to respond to with a "yes" or "no"?
6. Oh, so you intended for that to not be sarcastic? Well done! :clap:
Last edited by Shofercia on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:42 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Belarus was better off financially and economically than Russia was at the beginning of the 90's. It was also better developed, which meant that it didn't (and still doesn't) have the same issues with regards to infrastructure that Russia is still dealing with.

Say, what? Care to prove all these... bold claims? About Belarus being "better developed" than Russia, etc?
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”
Fight for Peace. Live for War. Die for Nothing
I wholeheartedly support the Great Ukraine from Lviv to Ternopil!
Кто не скачет - того Крым!
The ultimate fate of all Russophobes.

Lyttenburgh. Founded: Thu Sep 1 2011. Deleted: Sun Jun 8 2014. Population: 5.201 billion.
Never Forgive. Never Forget

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:04 pm

It looks like Russia will get "Mistrals" after all:

Rogozin named the date of "Mistrals" transfer to Russian

France intends to transfer the first heli-carrie "Mistral" to Russia on November 14th. This was stated by Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.

" "Rosoboronexport" received an invitation to visit Saint-Nazaire on November 14 , where there are already present 360 Russian sailors of the crew and 60 specialist trainers" - said Rogozin. According to him, on this day will be held the transfer of the ship "Vladivostok" and the launching of the second heli-carrier "Sevastopol".

Rogozin praised the preparations for the execution of the contract. "We proceed from the fact that France itself must defend its own reputation as a reliable partner, including in matters of military cooperation," - said Deputy Prime Minister.

October 28 French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that the final decision on the transfer of Russian helicopter "Vladivostok" type "Mistral" will be made in November.

Russophobes - you can already start buying "Pampers" for yourself. Just in case.
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”
Fight for Peace. Live for War. Die for Nothing
I wholeheartedly support the Great Ukraine from Lviv to Ternopil!
Кто не скачет - того Крым!
The ultimate fate of all Russophobes.

Lyttenburgh. Founded: Thu Sep 1 2011. Deleted: Sun Jun 8 2014. Population: 5.201 billion.
Never Forgive. Never Forget

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Lyttenburg wrote:It looks like Russia will get "Mistrals" after all:

Rogozin named the date of "Mistrals" transfer to Russian

France intends to transfer the first heli-carrie "Mistral" to Russia on November 14th. This was stated by Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.

" "Rosoboronexport" received an invitation to visit Saint-Nazaire on November 14 , where there are already present 360 Russian sailors of the crew and 60 specialist trainers" - said Rogozin. According to him, on this day will be held the transfer of the ship "Vladivostok" and the launching of the second heli-carrier "Sevastopol".

Rogozin praised the preparations for the execution of the contract. "We proceed from the fact that France itself must defend its own reputation as a reliable partner, including in matters of military cooperation," - said Deputy Prime Minister.

October 28 French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that the final decision on the transfer of Russian helicopter "Vladivostok" type "Mistral" will be made in November.

Russophobes - you can already start buying "Pampers" for yourself. Just in case.

Good thing the Russian Navy is shit compared to its western counterparts.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Since it wasn't addressed, a curiosity question about the Crimean referendum and vote rigging; viewtopic.php?p=21994123#p21994123.

Any responses Shof, Lyt?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Espresso and Insanity
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Espresso and Insanity » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't like Russia's government, I'll say that much.
Caffeine Addict, Bisexual, Moderate Social Democrat/Progressive, Atheist.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:34 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Since it wasn't addressed, a curiosity question about the Crimean referendum and vote rigging; viewtopic.php?p=21994123#p21994123.

Any responses Shof, Lyt?

I don't have much time and am on my phone, but I'll just say that, according to Pew Research, 88% of Crimeans want Kiev to recognize the referendum ( http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/05/08/des ... ssia-0-05/ ), and IIRC, this was also roughly the reported turnout (if I'm wrong, correct me); we know that there was an active campaign by pro-Ukrainians to boycott the vote. Thus, it actually isn't entirely unfeasible that the vote wasn't rigged.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General