NATION

PASSWORD

Russian Federation (And other forms of Russia)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:20 pm

The balkens wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNb54rwDQJM

The song that i mentioned.

Absolutely astounding, Russia was lucky to have Leonid Kharitinov in its red army choir.

Picked a great recording of it. Though, I'm a bit more partial to his performance at the concert hall with Brezhnev. :D
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The balkens wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNb54rwDQJM

The song that i mentioned.

Absolutely astounding, Russia was lucky to have Leonid Kharitinov in its red army choir.

Picked a great recording of it. Though, I'm a bit more partial to his performance at the concert hall with Brezhnev. :D

Ah, yes, Herr Kharitov made him cry didnt he?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:26 pm

The balkens wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Picked a great recording of it. Though, I'm a bit more partial to his performance at the concert hall with Brezhnev. :D

Yes, with "Утес", a beautiful song.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:43 pm

The balkens wrote:

Yes, with "Утес", a beautiful song.

If only i was there, masterful piece of singing. The cliff was also a favorite of mine in my Russophile days. i still listen to it, the song of the Cossack's is also quite the piece.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:I actually like Russia as a country. But, the government is a different story, that does not mean I dont understand it. Or try to. The Russians have contributed much to art, history, dance and science but yet are only remembered for Communism in the States.

If you are different (or am I wrong?) then what do you know about Russia's "contribution to art, history, dance and science" especially in the modern times?

The Rebel Alliances wrote: I feel like a strong and independent Russia is a benefit to everyone as if they were economically strong they would not be so aggressive in foreign policies.

:clap:

The Rebel Alliances wrote:In simple terms, the country just seems to have a never ending stream of bad luck. They dont have much history of democratic government

Hold on - are you equating "democracy" with a "good luck"? Russians certainly disagree. Especially after Yeltsin.

The Rebel Alliances wrote: they were ruled for something like seventy years of the USSR, the Tsars before them and If I am not incorrect, I believe the Mongols before them.

Russians were neve "ruled" by Mongols. We paid them tribute and they allowed us to rule themselves. And what is wrong with being ruled by "Tsars"? How many republics (and democratic to boot!) there were in 16th century?

The Rebel Alliances wrote: Thing is war, political corruption ect really hold the people back. I mean, are they not rich in natural gas and resources, have ample amounts of gold and oil and a healthy sized population?

Sometimes I wonder how they have as much trouble as they do.

Please, tell me, what "trouble" I have.

The Rebel Alliances wrote: If anyone here could help me better understand the problems over there I would appreciate it.

Try learn Russian. Its a good start and a buetiful language.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
The Rebel Alliances wrote:I actually like Russia as a country. But, the government is a different story, that does not mean I dont understand it. Or try to. The Russians have contributed much to art, history, dance and science but yet are only remembered for Communism in the States.

If you are different (or am I wrong?) then what do you know about Russia's "contribution to art, history, dance and science" especially in the modern times?

The Rebel Alliances wrote: I feel like a strong and independent Russia is a benefit to everyone as if they were economically strong they would not be so aggressive in foreign policies.

:clap:

The Rebel Alliances wrote:In simple terms, the country just seems to have a never ending stream of bad luck. They dont have much history of democratic government

Hold on - are you equating "democracy" with a "good luck"? Russians certainly disagree. Especially after Yeltsin.

The Rebel Alliances wrote: they were ruled for something like seventy years of the USSR, the Tsars before them and If I am not incorrect, I believe the Mongols before them.

Russians were neve "ruled" by Mongols. We paid them tribute and they allowed us to rule themselves. And what is wrong with being ruled by "Tsars"? How many republics (and democratic to boot!) there were in 16th century?

The Rebel Alliances wrote: Thing is war, political corruption ect really hold the people back. I mean, are they not rich in natural gas and resources, have ample amounts of gold and oil and a healthy sized population?

Sometimes I wonder how they have as much trouble as they do.

Please, tell me, what "trouble" I have.

The Rebel Alliances wrote: If anyone here could help me better understand the problems over there I would appreciate it.

Try learn Russian. Its a good start and a buetiful language.

I am no expert of their contributions but a couple well known examples are the areas of dance and how they made it to space first. I have read about them before a few months back, but have forgotten most. Outside of the US, the country I know most about is China.

Not really, democracy took centuries of work to build to the current level in which many western nations now have, but what I meant by bad luck was leaders such as Ivan, arguably Stalin and the communist Revolution, famines, millions dead the invasion by the Nazis causing upwards 25 million deaths, economic collapse ect.

Thanks for clearing that up about the Mongols.

I would classify the current troubles to what most have likely pointed out. Rampant violence against minorities, international aggression which I actually understand, but that does not = helpful to Russia. Economic troubles ect.

Also, I am learning Mandaran. One language at a time.
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Lyt - do you know someplace a westerner could learn spoken Russian, as opposed to formal Russian?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:12 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:
I am no expert of their contributions but a couple well known examples are the areas of dance and how they made it to space first. I have read about them before a few months back, but have forgotten most. Outside of the US, the country I know most about is China.

Gee! I like it when some foreingner states obligatory "Russia contributed soooooo much!" and then it runs out, s/he knows nothing about it. Then your compliment is worthless.

The Rebel Alliances wrote:Not really, democracy took centuries of work to build to the current level in which many western nations now have, but what I meant by bad luck was leaders such as Ivan, arguably Stalin and the communist Revolution, famines, millions dead the invasion by the Nazis causing upwards 25 million deaths, economic collapse ect.

Oh, so Nazi's invasion was just a "bad luck"? Was Holocaust also "a bad luck" by chance?

The Rebel Alliances wrote:I would classify the current troubles to what most have likely pointed out. Rampant violence against minorities, international aggression which I actually understand, but that does not = helpful to Russia. Economic troubles ect.

Wait a minute - "rampant violence against minorities"? How? Why I'm sitting here in Moscow can't see any mass-lynching of "minorities", don't see corpses of the victims hanging from lamposts when I go through a city? Care to eleborate here?

As for economic troubles - when was the last time you chekeche out Ukraine's?

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Roski wrote:Lyt - do you know someplace a westerner could learn spoken Russian, as opposed to formal Russian?

It's pretty much the same as with other languages - first, learn "fromal" language, then find the press/popular blogs/other Media sources
to enlarge your vocabularly. Then start talking with actual Russians.

But as for you Roski, you don't know even the "classic" Russian.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Roski wrote:Lyt - do you know someplace a westerner could learn spoken Russian, as opposed to formal Russian?

It's pretty much the same as with other languages - first, learn "fromal" language, then find the press/popular blogs/other Media sources

I know, I was hoping to skip the the formal Russian and go right to spoken russian, but I suppose I can't.

Darn :(
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:

If I were to learn Russian, should I learn the Cryllic Alphabet first, or will that not matter at all?

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
The Rebel Alliances wrote:

Gee! I like it when some foreingner states obligatory "Russia contributed soooooo much!" and then it runs out, s/he knows nothing about it. Then your compliment is worthless.

The Rebel Alliances wrote:Not really, democracy took centuries of work to build to the current level in which many western nations now have, but what I meant by bad luck was leaders such as Ivan, arguably Stalin and the communist Revolution, famines, millions dead the invasion by the Nazis causing upwards 25 million deaths, economic collapse ect.

Oh, so Nazi's invasion was just a "bad luck"? Was Holocaust also "a bad luck" by chance?

The Rebel Alliances wrote:I would classify the current troubles to what most have likely pointed out. Rampant violence against minorities, international aggression which I actually understand, but that does not = helpful to Russia. Economic troubles ect.

Wait a minute - "rampant violence against minorities"? How? Why I'm sitting here in Moscow can't see any mass-lynching of "minorities", don't see corpses of the victims hanging from lamposts when I go through a city? Care to eleborate here?

As for economic troubles - when was the last time you chekeche out Ukraine's?

You know, I actually came to the thread wanting to better understand Russia's situation today. If my information is wrong, then correct me and explain how so. It was pretty clear in my original post I was seeking answers, not trying to answer them. I have a general knowledge of Russia, because of that I cannot appreciate the contributions I do know about? There was nothing obligatory about the comment, I did not have to say it at all. Take it or don't.

You dont seem to be willing to actually inform me or educate me on Russia's current status, it would have been far more helpful to simply say that you had no intention of doing so. Rather than attack me for my stated limited knowledge of Russia. I could strike at you for your lack of grammar in English, but because I am assuming it is not your first language I am not going to. You are by no means mandated to assist me when I ask if anyone could better help me understand Russia current affairs. But don't attack me for it either.

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:22 pm

Roski wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

If I were to learn Russian, should I learn the Cryllic Alphabet first, or will that not matter at all?

Pretty hard to learn Russian if you can't even read it.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Roski wrote:

Well, I mean instead of learning them together (learning the latin transliteration and then translating it to cryllic), or learn cryllic first, then just learn russian

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Roski wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

Roski, have you ever replayed your question in mind, imaging that some foreinger asks you pretty much the same n;y about learning English?

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Roski wrote:

Roski, have you ever replayed your question in mind, imaging that some foreinger asks you pretty much the same n;y about learning English?

they could have transliterated english

Лике тхис фор ехампле.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Roski wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

Лике тхис фор ехампле.

In no correct pronunciation (to my knowledge) is this an accurate pronunciation to what you are trying to make out.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:You know, I actually came to the thread wanting to better understand Russia's situation today. If my information is wrong, then correct me and explain how so. It was pretty clear in my original post I was seeking answers, not trying to answer them. I have a general knowledge of Russia, because of that I cannot appreciate the contributions I do know about? There was nothing obligatory about the comment, I did not have to say it at all. Take it or don't.

You dont seem to be willing to actually inform me or educate me on Russia's current status, it would have been far more helpful to simply say that you had no intention of doing so. Rather than attack me for my stated limited knowledge of Russia. I could strike at you for your lack of grammar in English, but because I am assuming it is not your first language I am not going to. You are by no means mandated to assist me when I ask if anyone could better help me understand Russia current affairs. But don't attack me for it either.

You arrived here in this discussion with prepared standard issue "spiel" about "Russia's contributions" and "Russia's troubles". Not questions.

A good start for you would be to actually learn about what you are saying here. You say that Russia "contributed" - why you can't find on your own to find out how, when and who? If you know about said contribution, why don't say about that? You don't even need NSG for educating yourself.

As for "general information"... well, givent the current state of the "Free and Independent Western Media" (tm) I won't hold my breath on getting something real from them.

Maybe (just - maybe) you actually want to learn about Russia more and are more open to new ideas and suggestions. But we don't run here "Russianc classes" on NSG. You should take care ouf your education yourself and come here to ask some questions. Because, see, I don't have to educate you in this matters.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Roski wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

Лике тхис фор ехампле.

Which doesn't sound like "english" if read in Russian:

"Likja tkhis for ekhamplja"

Bummer.
Last edited by Lytenburgh on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Roski wrote:

Which is why i never bothered to drink Vodka.

Russian vodka anyway. Polish stuff is where its at.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Roski wrote:

Лике тхис фор ехампле.

Bummer.

it doesn't have to sound like it to read it...?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:29 pm

Roski wrote:
Lytenburgh wrote:

Bummer.

it doesn't have to sound like it to read it...?

Uh, I'm pretty sure it does.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:29 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:If anyone here could help me better understand the problems over there I would appreciate it.

From my very first post. Looking back, it was a request rather than a question. I misremembered it. That is my error. I had come to the Russian Thread on NationStates because I spend a great deal of time on NationStates, so it would be convenient and I prefer discussions to textbook reading.

OK, I am getting the feeling we had started off on the wrong foot so to speak. So, I will try once more.

Here are some questions I have I would like to have answers from a native Russian.

What are the current issues that you see from your nation's perspective facing it?
Which issues concern you the most?
How is the economy performing today? Has it shown promising steps from its crash in the 90s?
What do you believe is the best way to secure cooperation between the rest of Europe and Russia? Which problems get in the way?

Please, answer what you are willing to. And I thank you for the time.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm

The balkens wrote:

You don't drink Russian vodka because you can't read what is written on the bottle? But you drink Polish vodka becasue?..

Lakimina
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lakimina » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
The balkens wrote:

You don't drink Russian vodka because you can't read what is written on the bottle? But you drink Polish vodka becasue?..

Because Polish Vodka is cheaper.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General