NATION

PASSWORD

Does God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Arcanda wrote:No, but it was to point it that people who are religious are not all bad people.Goes both ways.

Nobody ever claimed that all religious people were bad people.

Oh, I dunno. One can certainly wonder about the sort of people who would actually choose to worship the God of Abraham and call him the embodiment of love. They at best have low aims for love in life ;)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:20 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Nobody ever claimed that all religious people were bad people.

Oh, I dunno. One can certainly wonder about the sort of people who would actually choose to worship the God of Abraham and call him the embodiment of love. They at best have low aims for love in life ;)

You would have to be pretty fallacious to ignore the Abrahamic deities evolution.

I mean Zoroastrianism had several stages of its head deity before settling on what it is today.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Benuty wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

You would have to be pretty fallacious to ignore the Abrahamic deities evolution.

I mean Zoroastrianism had several stages of its head deity before settling on what it is today.

Silence Zervanite Dog!
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Benuty wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Or Jewish ;)
Although even the "most evolved" versions of Abrahams God - feel free to decide if that honour goes to the mormons or to the muslims - is still pretty "meh" at best.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:35 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Benuty wrote:You would have to be pretty fallacious to ignore the Abrahamic deities evolution.

Or Jewish ;)
Although even the "most evolved" versions of Abrahams God - feel free to decide if that honour goes to the mormons or to the muslims - is still pretty "meh" at best.

Given Mormonism has a plethora of gods with a big God they seem to stick pretty well to the old Yahwist henotheist phase.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Jute wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I don't doubt that there's some of that involved, yes.

Which would prove that prayers aren't necessarily "useless", as sometimes claimed.

There are secular placebos that are just as effective.

I don't see why we need to slap God into it half-assed.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Does god exist.... that's probably the wrong question to be asking.

Instead, if god did exist, what would we expect to happen? I'm assuming we're talking about the christian god here. In the bible, he interferred pretty much daily in the lives people all over the place. Yet since the bible was written. Not a peep. Not one thing. He can't even be bothered to save christians from being persecuted.

The strange thing is, is that the world is exactly like it should be if god never existed in the first place. This seems like a complete rebuttal of the personal, omniscient god that is represented by the bible. If god is omnipresent and omniscient, yet not personal and has a policy of none-interference. Then it doesn't matter if he does or does not exist.

He hasn't ever spoken to me, alerted me to his presence or anything...and yes, I did go through a phase of actually trying to listen. Nada. Nothing. Half a decade later I found my own solution. In my personal opinion then based on what empirical evidence I have. God does not exist.
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Enfaru wrote:Does god exist.... that's probably the wrong question to be asking.

Instead, if god did exist, what would we expect to happen? I'm assuming we're talking about the christian god here. In the bible, he interferred pretty much daily in the lives people all over the place. Yet since the bible was written. Not a peep. Not one thing. He can't even be bothered to save christians from being persecuted.

The strange thing is, is that the world is exactly like it should be if god never existed in the first place. This seems like a complete rebuttal of the personal, omniscient god that is represented by the bible. If god is omnipresent and omniscient, yet not personal and has a policy of none-interference. Then it doesn't matter if he does or does not exist.

He hasn't ever spoken to me, alerted me to his presence or anything...and yes, I did go through a phase of actually trying to listen. Nada. Nothing. Half a decade later I found my own solution. In my personal opinion then based on what empirical evidence I have. God does not exist.

On top of not doing a single goddamn observable thing afterward, it is therefore further discredited when people invent supernatural occurrences.

There as apparently been plenty of sightings of the Virgin Mary, miraculous acts, and other occurrences that some people have seen, and yet were not revealed to others.

I think I remember one story about how 2,000 people saw the sun move in erratic patterns in the sky, and a local Christian newspaper cited this as an act of God. Obvious problem is obvious: if the Sun was moving in the sky in weird ways, why wouldn't more than 2,000 people have noticed it? MILLIONS should have noticed it.

That's a big problem with this whole "personal experience" thing that seems required to understand and find God: it can very easily be replicated by people who are more anti-theistic than I am.

There's no base line from which to go on. For thousands of years, people depended on elite "interpreters" (read: pundits) of religious texts and mysticism as vessels of knowledge concerning these kinds of things. It was a tool of control, of spreading acceptance for power and policy, especially enshrined in the Catholic Church and the Qur'an. No analysis, no empirical confirmation, just misinformation and half-assed interpretations passed off as "educated guesses".

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

As a protestant, I don't believe in appearances and the Virgin Mary too much - But I try to keep an open mind.
My muslim mom always explained it to me this way : God gave us the instruments to love and to make peace.He expected us to use those intruments.Yet we don't.Now, according to her, he won't intervene, make a big light shine in the sky or whatever, because that would be too easy and everybody would worship him.No, he wants to test us.At least, that's how she always told me, but overall I find that a pretty good explanation.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:57 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Jute wrote:Which would prove that prayers aren't necessarily "useless", as sometimes claimed.

There are secular placebos that are just as effective.

I don't see why we need to slap God into it half-assed.

A placebo is medical nothing more.

So why are you bringing it into religion?
Last edited by Benuty on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Enfaru wrote:

Same here. Only my solution was to believe BECAUSE of the silence. After all, who am I to warrant His attention?
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Kastilivokia
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kastilivokia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Give me a reason for why God doesn't exist and for all you that say "why would such a caring god let cruel things happen" blame yourself. God gave each person in the world their own free will and everyone messed it up. He never intended death and disease. And their is proof all around the world that God exists. Here's an analogy for you; Leonardo DiVinci painted the great picture of the Mona Lisa and we all know him to have painted it. Everyone has such strong faith that it exists, yet no one has ever seen him in this day in age) and the only proof we have of his existence is a portrait of him, no photographs. We only know he is real by his art. And the world is God's painting. It is impossible foe the big bang to every exist because the universe has an end, it is affected by time, and is full of matter. Something had to have been there before matter, time and space could be created. GOD! He is timeless, matterless, and spaceless; able to exist without time, space and matter, making him the only thing plauseable to create it. And the world has only been around for a few thousand years because math shows if humans have been around for millions of years, there would be no soil left for agriculture because all of it would be taken up by corpses. GOD loves everyone and he doesn't want be things to happen, but we do bad things to ourselves. God doesn't take a gun and shoot a kid, God doesn't grab a girl and rape her, God doesn't break into your house and steal all your money, God doesn't give you cigarettes and kills you with cancer. It's our faults. God exists and will be back one day to save us all from this Hell we call earth.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Kastilivokia wrote:Give me a reason for why God doesn't exist

Because Odin denies it.
(feel free to replace Odin with Zeus, Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva, whatever you like)

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:28 pm

Kastilivokia wrote:Give me a reason for why God doesn't exist

The McRib. Centuries of scientific advances that have shown no existence of a higher deity

only proof we have of his existence is a portrait of him, no photographs[/quote]

Photography as made available about 300 or so years after da Vinci died, of course I know what you are getting at but its not the best analogy. We have lots of physical evidence that da Vinci existed, deities not so much
PT/MT Nation
Death is the only Absolute
The Grand Duchy of Dewhurst-Narculis
|Monarchist Nation| DEFCON [3] [2][1]
Coveton Crisis 1828-Mutual victory
Quendisphere War 2010-Resolved

1st Great Southern War 1898
2nd Great Southern War 1925
3rd Great Southern War 1942-1944
4th Great Southern War 1983
Dewhurst-Narculian- Theaman War 2010
Okhotsk Conflict 2012-2013
2nd Cedorian-Gilnean War-2014 ^All Won

North Vasangal Uprising-2014-(Ongoing)
Dervistonian War-2014-(Ongoing)
One of the the original founders of: SEC, Axis, SACTO and the Great Southern Ocean Region| Nine Years and no Condemnation/Commendation, what is this?

Santeriea
Secretary

Founded: Oct 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Santeriea » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 am

No one can truly know until they die.
The Triumvirate of Solace welcomes you

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 am

Kastilivokia wrote:Give me a reason for why God doesn't exist and for all you that say "why would such a caring god let cruel things happen" blame yourself. God gave each person in the world their own free will and everyone messed it up. He never intended death and disease. And their is proof all around the world that God exists. Here's an analogy for you; Leonardo DiVinci painted the great picture of the Mona Lisa and we all know him to have painted it. Everyone has such strong faith that it exists, yet no one has ever seen him in this day in age) and the only proof we have of his existence is a portrait of him, no photographs. We only know he is real by his art. And the world is God's painting. It is impossible foe the big bang to every exist because the universe has an end, it is affected by time, and is full of matter. Something had to have been there before matter, time and space could be created. GOD! He is timeless, matterless, and spaceless; able to exist without time, space and matter, making him the only thing plauseable to create it. And the world has only been around for a few thousand years because math shows if humans have been around for millions of years, there would be no soil left for agriculture because all of it would be taken up by corpses. GOD loves everyone and he doesn't want be things to happen, but we do bad things to ourselves. God doesn't take a gun and shoot a kid, God doesn't grab a girl and rape her, God doesn't break into your house and steal all your money, God doesn't give you cigarettes and kills you with cancer. It's our faults. God exists and will be back one day to save us all from this Hell we call earth.

The painting exemple is wonderful, thanks.However, I disagree with that Big Bang thing.In my opinion it did existed, and indeed we're sharing genes with the apes and other forms of life have been here before us.It's proven, and you can't deny what's proven.But all those wonders only comfort me in the fact that God exists.In fact, science even encourages me to believe more in God.

Kastilivokia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kastilivokia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:50 am

Conscentia wrote:
Kastilivokia wrote:Give me a reason for why God doesn't exist [...]

Tell me what "God" is first.

Correction... God is not a "what" he's a HE

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:54 am

Kastilivokia wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Tell me what "God" is first.

Correction... God is not a "what" he's a HE

Then where is the Goddess.

Because you do know what the purpose of having a different and specific sex is right?

By saying God is a he and not an it, you're saying he is gonna fuck a Goddess, or whatever.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Kastilivokia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kastilivokia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:54 am

Arcanda wrote:
Kastilivokia wrote:Give me a reason for why God doesn't exist and for all you that say "why would such a caring god let cruel things happen" blame yourself. God gave each person in the world their own free will and everyone messed it up. He never intended death and disease. And their is proof all around the world that God exists. Here's an analogy for you; Leonardo DiVinci painted the great picture of the Mona Lisa and we all know him to have painted it. Everyone has such strong faith that it exists, yet no one has ever seen him in this day in age) and the only proof we have of his existence is a portrait of him, no photographs. We only know he is real by his art. And the world is God's painting. It is impossible foe the big bang to every exist because the universe has an end, it is affected by time, and is full of matter. Something had to have been there before matter, time and space could be created. GOD! He is timeless, matterless, and spaceless; able to exist without time, space and matter, making him the only thing plauseable to create it. And the world has only been around for a few thousand years because math shows if humans have been around for millions of years, there would be no soil left for agriculture because all of it would be taken up by corpses. GOD loves everyone and he doesn't want be things to happen, but we do bad things to ourselves. God doesn't take a gun and shoot a kid, God doesn't grab a girl and rape her, God doesn't break into your house and steal all your money, God doesn't give you cigarettes and kills you with cancer. It's our faults. God exists and will be back one day to save us all from this Hell we call earth.

The painting exemple is wonderful, thanks.However, I disagree with that Big Bang thing.In my opinion it did existed, and indeed we're sharing genes with the apes and other forms of life have been here before us.It's proven, and you can't deny what's proven.But all those wonders only comfort me in the fact that God exists.In fact, science even encourages me to believe more in God.

I fully agree with you. I believe in the Big Bang too, but I don't believe it came from a tiny atom I believe God was behind it. And when you talk about us and apes having the same genes I get what your saying. My view on that is that when God creates the world he puts a little part of himself in everything/everyone (Genesis) so that's why us and apes are so similar. I happy your a follower like me and I respect your views.

Kastilivokia
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Kastilivokia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Kastilivokia wrote:Correction... God is not a "what" he's a HE

Then where is the Goddess.

Because you do know what the purpose of having a different and specific sex is right?

By saying God is a he and not an it, you're saying he is gonna fuck a Goddess, or whatever.

GOD created "man" in his own image and later created "women". So God has to be a He. Plus, when God was on Earth he had no sexual relations with women.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:07 am

Kastilivokia wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Then where is the Goddess.

GOD created "man" in his own image and later created "women". So God has to be a He. Plus, when God was on Earth he had no sexual relations with women.

Thats for Humanity, which evolved....

God is separate, even if it molded Human design to be similar to how it is, being a male would insinuate it is made to fuck and reproduce.

Maybe this issue isn't talked about because it lessons the impact Jesus would have if he came from a divine womb instead of a Human womans.

Lets be honest, God is only portrayed male because much like other great apes, Humans are a rather patriarchal species.

While we decided in certain cultures that both sexes can hold equal positions of authority and can both have dominance in certain situations, our species started out with men in mind first, and women as being baby makers and home keepers.

So obviously primitive Humans are gonna think God is a man, because to them God is the dominant one, and only men (in that time for many) are dominant.

God was the big cheese, and many religious cultures reflected that tribal stance on our place in things.

Of course we lightened up over time, learned new concepts, etc.

Hell, if you showed those people who started any specific religion modern Humans, but just spruce up the outfit, they would worship us as Gods. Once you split the atom you're far above the comprehension of even your ancestors, and we are doing a lot of shit that would have been the work of God for primitive man.

Well know I just went off on a tangent there...sorry :\
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 am

Kastilivokia wrote:

Every bit of this is a load of nonsense.
Evidence of GTFO.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 am

Kastilivokia wrote:

Nonsense.
God and his brothers created man and woman same time.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:27 am

Blame ourselves for... Getting cancer?

What the SHIT are you blabbering about?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General