NATION

PASSWORD

Secession in America

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you think secession is legal?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes : 102

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Secession in America

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi there!

I'm Distruizionopolis (aka Distruzio) and I'm NSG's resident Eastern Orthodox reactionary monarchist from America. In light of the recent referendum in Scotland and the rise of threadjacking in the thread pertaining to that referendum, I decided to make a separate thread about secessionism in America.

Simply put, do you think secession is a fundamental right? Do you think it's legal?

Over the past 8 years, my opinions on the matter have changed. I used to (as the Southron Nation) argue in favor of the right of secession. While I yet maintain that the right of secession exists, I now see that it does not exist as is usually trumpeted. What I mean is that secession is illegal here in the US but remains a fundamental right of the several states so long as Congress concedes.

SCOTUS declared, following the war for Southern Secession, that unilateral secession was illegal. SCOTUS had already made it clear that they maintained the authority to interpret the constitution. Therefore, what SCOTUS says sticks. Had the South won the war, the right of unilateral secession would have been redressed for those states successfully seceded. I rather doubt the Union would have resisted the urge to make clear, in no uncertain terms, that any further secession would not have been allowed - be that legislatively, constitutionally, or via SCOTUS declaration. It makes no difference. It's very likely that the Union, faced with a dangerous threat on her southern borders, would have done whatever was necessary to stymie the political convulsions secession wrought - after all, she invaded herself (if we take Lincolns argument that there never was a secession because secession was impossible for granted).

So what do you think, dear reader? Is secession a fundamental right? Why or why not?

Further, would you support a referendum here in the United States to allow secession with Congressional approval?

I would. Although, now that I'm a bit more mature in my thinking I see that the Union provides more than she takes so I wouldn't support any referendum actually voting for secession. I'd like to let the mouth breathers and the ideologically pure have their say. If America is to be a republic then it's important, in my mind, that folks be allowed to actually voice their opinion (however ill advised that action be). So, even though I'd oppose secession, I'd favor allowing a referendum to take place.

I find that, in abandoning conservatism in favor of tory reactionism, my hostility to federalism as it evolved has abated so much so that previous opinions I might have had about the value of the Union are, now, reversed. I see, through a reactionary lens, that the Constitution created a more centralized (while still federal) nation was both necessary and proper and I agree with Jefferson that the Constitution must be a living document - able to evolve and adapt to the change of culture and society. If we insist that the Constitution be strictly interpreted according to textualism then the document is a dead letter - toilet paper has more value. But, on the other hand, if we accept that the Constitution be strictly interpreted according to originalism then vibrancy and life can be discerned - a healthy nation will result.
Last edited by Distruzionopolis on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ubermensch Paragon that defines Democracy
cultural tradition, communitarianism, vertical collectivism, personalism, market localism, federalism, toryism
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance - H.L. Mencken
"Egalitarianism... is incompatible with the idea of private property. Private property implies exclusivity, inequality, and difference." - Hans Herman Hoppe

Knowledge is not power; power is, instead, knowledge applied.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:17 pm

If you view secession as illegal, what do you think of Hawaii regaining its independence? To some, its annexation was rather illegal.
Last edited by Ganos Lao on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:If you view secession as illegal, what do you think of Hawaii regaining its independence? To some, its annexation was rather illegal.

For better or worse, Hawaii is a part of the Union now. She's in. No backing out without Congressional assent.

cultural tradition, communitarianism, vertical collectivism, personalism, market localism, federalism, toryism
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance - H.L. Mencken
"Egalitarianism... is incompatible with the idea of private property. Private property implies exclusivity, inequality, and difference." - Hans Herman Hoppe

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:If you view secession as illegal, what do you think of Hawaii regaining its independence? To some, its annexation was rather illegal.

For better or worse, Hawaii is a part of the Union now. She's in. No backing out without Congressional assent.

Alright, but if you don't mind me asking, what do you personally feel about the said annexation?

This nation is controlled by the player who was once Neo-Ixania on the Jolt Forums! It is also undergoing reconstruction.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:

And what the UN says on self-determination is shit amirite?

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Lemme just ask, is this related to our talks in the Scottish Referendum Megathread?

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 pm

District XIV wrote:
Distruzionopolis wrote:

When the UN recognizes Catlonia, Taiwan, and countless other secessionist movements the world over, I'll consider what they have to say. For the moment, however, the value of the United Nations is, in my opinion, ranked slightly higher than that of Best Korea - it serves as an amazing forum to create dialog among various nations but, in the end, the nations don't need the UN.

Tyrinth
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrinth » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Do I believe it is? No. Do I believe it should be? Yes.

The legitimacy of a government is determined by the people. If the people believe a government no longer represents their best interests, they should be able to abandon said government and form their own which represents them.
さあ、一緒に狂いましょう。
Ardoki wrote:Hitler was basically a libertarian, he supported the libertarian ideology of social Darwinism.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

No, they should stick together. Leaving the USA would destroy the economy and weaken the American military. Do you think the Care Bears could defeat No Heart or the evil spirit book if they all split up? Of course not. It's the same with the USA. They need to stick together if they want to be powerful and overcome obstacles.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

SuperFruitLand wrote:Lemme just ask, is this related to our talks in the Scottish Referendum Megathread?
Distruzionopolis wrote:In light of the recent referendum in Scotland and the rise of threadjacking in the thread pertaining to that referendum, I decided to make a separate thread about secessionism in America.

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

SuperFruitLand wrote:Lemme just ask, is this related to our talks in the Scottish Referendum Megathread?

I specifically stated that it was.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

District XIV wrote:
Distruzionopolis wrote:

Well, it IS the UN... :p

On topic, the Constitution doesn't have an escape clause and the last time we tried this, it ended badly.

I think you'd need an actual amendment, not just a Congressional act.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:

Couldn't you twist this to say:

"For better or worse, America is part of the Empire. She's in. No backing out withour Our assent"?

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Distruzionopolis wrote:

Alright, but if you don't mind me asking, what do you personally feel about the said annexation?

Ill advised. I'd have preferred the US allow the southern states to have seceded as well (even though my ancestors would have remained in bondage a bit longer).

That said, I can understand the reasoning behind the invasion/annexations.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:No, they should stick together. Leaving the USA would destroy the economy and weaken the American military. Do you think the Care Bears could defeat No Heart or the evil spirit book if they all split up? Of course not. It's the same with the USA. They need to stick together if they want to be powerful and overcome obstacles.

And what if we don't want to stick in the Union?

SuperFruitland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby SuperFruitland » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:

I specifically stated that it was.

ah, mmkay

should prob have read the OP better...

*falls asleep at computah*

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Distruzionopolis wrote:

"For better or worse, America is part of the Empire. She's in. No backing out withour Our assent"?

Oh I firmly believe that the Founders were traitors and the UK is our mother country. I'd prefer to see America in the Commonwealth of Nations with the Head of State where she belongs, on the dollar bill.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 pm

District XIV wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:No, they should stick together. Leaving the USA would destroy the economy and weaken the American military. Do you think the Care Bears could defeat No Heart or the evil spirit book if they all split up? Of course not. It's the same with the USA. They need to stick together if they want to be powerful and overcome obstacles.

And what if we don't want to stick in the Union?

You have to just tough it out. Things are better when we stick together.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:That said, I can understand the reasoning behind the invasion/annexations.

No, you can't, because there is none. The annexation of Hawaii was illegal and irrational; but arguably another foreign superpower would have annexed them eventually (Hawaii being a strategic spot militarily).

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 pm

NERVUN wrote:
District XIV wrote:And what the UN says on self-determination is shit amirite?

Well, it IS the UN... :p

On topic, the Constitution doesn't have an escape clause and the last time we tried this, it ended badly.

I think you'd need an actual amendment, not just a Congressional act.

An amendment would still require congressional consent, which was my point.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:
District XIV wrote:And what if we don't want to stick in the Union?

You have to just tough it out. Things are better when we stick together.

Better for you, not me and others who support independence.

Ganos Lao
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ganos Lao » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:
Ganos Lao wrote:

Oh I firmly believe that the Founders were traitors and the UK is our mother country. I'd prefer to see America in the Commonwealth of Nations with the Head of State where she belongs, on the dollar bill.

"He that accepts protection, stipulates obedience. We have always protected the Americans; we may, therefore, subject them to government."

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:28 pm

District XIV wrote:
Distruzionopolis wrote:That said, I can understand the reasoning behind the invasion/annexations.

No, you can't, because there is none. The annexation of Hawaii was illegal and irrational; but arguably another foreign superpower would have annexed them eventually (Hawaii being a strategic spot militarily).

... don't confuse understanding for sympathizing. Empire is empire, XIV. I get it.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:28 pm

District XIV wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:You have to just tough it out. Things are better when we stick together.

Better for you, not me and others who support independence.

If you were independent your standard of living would go down. New countries can often fail. Nobody wants to live in a failed state.

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Distruzionopolis wrote:

"He that accepts protection, stipulates obedience. We have always protected the Americans; we may, therefore, subject them to government."

Correct.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General