NATION

PASSWORD

Teacher Suspended, Incarcerated For Science Fiction Story

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Hold on, I'm trying to find out....... give me a a bit here.... best I've come to so far is an accidental pellet gun shooting of a student by a teacher in the UK a couple years back.... seems to be very rare... but I'm unsure if it's ZERO at this point.

http://web.archive.org/web/201308231632 ... lence.html
Here's the ten school years from August 1 1999 to July 31 2010 (just misses the Columbine shooting).
284 deaths on K-12 school property or at K-12 school events, compiled from news reports, in this ten year period. 130 shooting fatalities.

A year-by-year breakdown is offered down the page of each incident. I happen to know that one of those incidents is a woman walking past a school at night who is killed, so not all of these are "school fatalities" as we may imagine them.
Almost certainly, one incident will be of a teacher.

Well, yes.... I've found plenty of teachers being shot.... I just seem to have not yet found the case of a school shooting where the teacher was a perpetrator. I will keep looking it.... it seems odd that there would not be at least one somewhere.
Such heroic nonsense!

Zanubiyala
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanubiyala » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Does anyone know where we can actually go and read this book?
IC NAME: Zairo

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Zanubiyala wrote:Does anyone know where we can actually go and read this book?

It's available on Amazon.
Such heroic nonsense!

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Tekania wrote:
Zanubiyala wrote:Does anyone know where we can actually go and read this book?

And frankly, the guy could probably use the money right now.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Bu-dun tss
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Alcase wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Bu-dun tss

I'm serious. Buying the book would probably be one of the most meaningful and practical ways a supporter of his could help him.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Alcase wrote:Bu-dun tss

I'm serious. Buying the book would probably be one of the most meaningful and practical ways a supporter of his could help him.

Or, sending a petition to the proper authorities.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Or, sending a petition to the proper authorities.

That, too, but the guy is likely to be out of a job soon, and will need to put food on the table while pursuing a lawsuit.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:I have to fear that freedom of speech no longer exists. The government's slowly becoming a police state.

The fact that you can say that means you're wrong.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Benuty wrote:What a bunch of cunts.

That being said is complex, independent, and rational thought not work in their mind or are they a bunch of lazy deadbeats?

Too tired to think of anything original so you get :clap:
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Murkwood wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:I have to fear that freedom of speech no longer exists. The government's slowly becoming a police state.

Slowly is the keyword there. Slowly.
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:15 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Murkwood wrote:The fact that you can say that means you're wrong.

Slowly is the keyword there. Slowly.

If we were becoming a police state, conspiracy wackjobs who talk about a police state would be the first, the very first, to go.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Murkwood wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Slowly is the keyword there. Slowly.

If we were becoming a police state, conspiracy wackjobs who talk about a police state would be the first, the very first, to go.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I dunno; who can predict the future to great accuracy? Then again, the government's robbed most of us of a sense of control over it, so in the end, the wackjobs may not matter to them.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Murkwood wrote:If we were becoming a police state, conspiracy wackjobs who talk about a police state would be the first, the very first, to go.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I dunno; who can predict the future to great accuracy? Then again, the government's robbed most of us of a sense of control over it, so in the end, the wackjobs may not matter to them.

Go back to InfoWars. The government hasn't robbed us of control.
Last edited by Murkwood on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 pm

I can understand the district and government's fear, in light of recent school shootings and such, but this is a little bit over the top.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Murkwood wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Slowly is the keyword there. Slowly.

Or they'd be cast as conspiracy nutjobs, not worth listening to.

Ieperithem
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ieperithem » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Amazing what someone in the education industry can and can't be fired for.

Convicted sex offender(and legally illiterate to boot)? No problem!

Hateful and possibly insane ideologue? None of our business.

Outright bully to one's students? As long as she's not of a demographic the politicians care about!

"Oh. My. Gawd. Did you just write a story with death in it completely on your own time? THIS IS INTOLERABLE!"
Political Spectrum Test
Economic Right: 69.8%
Social Libertarian: 29.3%
Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 36.0%
Cultural conservative: 22.6%
"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Ieperithem wrote:Amazing what someone in the education industry can and can't be fired for.

Convicted sex offender(and legally illiterate to boot)? No problem!

Hateful and possibly insane ideologue? None of our business.

Outright bully to one's students? As long as she's not of a demographic the politicians care about!

"Oh. My. Gawd. Did you just write a story with death in it completely on your own time? THIS IS INTOLERABLE!"

Of note, he wrote the story with the school massacre in it before he went into teaching.... it was published a few years back. So it's even more absurd than that... lol.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:51 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:Yes. An inevitable slippery slope from the events of one paranoid school district. Or you know. A gross exaggeration.

It probably won't be the last time we've heard of overly paranoid school districts... Columbine sort of did this.

And it didn't lead to a police state. This is something entirely different. Honestly you can take it up with the school board directly. It's not something you would complain about to the government.
Last edited by The Sotoan Union on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:56 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:It probably won't be the last time we've heard of overly paranoid school districts... Columbine sort of did this.

And it didn't lead to a police state. This is something entirely different. Honestly you can take it up with the school board directly. It's not something you would complain about to the government.

How could you not take it up with the government? Typically public schools are administered by an appointed body of the local government, or an elected body of the local government. In the case of an elected school board, they are the government.
Such heroic nonsense!

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Murkwood wrote:

Roleplay Information
2024: The Long Peace - United Mexican States

Risottia wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Although Nietzsche was a god-fearing atheist and his quote is positive, I believe it is negative. I think God has died because of our corrupt, open society, where there is no objective sense of right and wrong. Instead, I propose to resurrect God and avenge him.

No way.

When we meet aliens from outer space, we'll yell:

We poison our air and water to weed out the weak!
We set off fission bombs in our only biosphere!
We nailed our god to a stick!
Don't fuck with the human race!

Kanye West 2024

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:And every single one of us on this forum...

Hm... My name probably sounds very suspicious, me being a Nazi and all... I should be more careful.

My name sounds very suspicious too.

Watch me getting emails from the Italian government in a week.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm frankly just disappointed that a school board and a school administration would be so devoid of logic as to presume 'writing about crimes means a propensity to commit crimes!'.

It seems these folks could probably benefit from some kind of teaching as to the usage of 'fiction' in crafting a cohesive story which serves as a vehicle to a theme or message by Mr. McLaw.
In fact, maybe these folks should be placed in a remedial English course, such as a first grade class on the topic, since they've demonstrated that an eighth grade understanding of the topic is beyond them.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm not suspicious at all...
Roleplay Information
2024: The Long Peace - United Mexican States

Risottia wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Although Nietzsche was a god-fearing atheist and his quote is positive, I believe it is negative. I think God has died because of our corrupt, open society, where there is no objective sense of right and wrong. Instead, I propose to resurrect God and avenge him.

No way.

When we meet aliens from outer space, we'll yell:

We poison our air and water to weed out the weak!
We set off fission bombs in our only biosphere!
We nailed our god to a stick!
Don't fuck with the human race!

Kanye West 2024

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Pimps Inc wrote:I'm not suspicious at all...

We're all suspicious here... we're all using aliases.... and only people who are up to something use aliases.
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General