NATION

PASSWORD

Russia threatens nuclear war against all NATO members

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Shit. Here comes World War Three...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Padnak wrote:
There's the underlying problem in that the west doesn't have all that much experience dealing with someone as politically cynical and intelligent as Putin. If Putin was like, say Saddam Hussein, then there wouldn't be any problems because we know how to deal with people like him, but we don't know how to deal with someone like Putin whose willing to do almost anything to reach their objective but doesn't use methods that out them as the clear cut bad guy to enough countries to make non military punitive measures effective

we need to put NATO forces in the Ukraine, not in combat but in the ukraine none the less, and I think he'll back down. Even better if the Ukrainians concede a little bit of territory to make the whole thing ease over a bit better

we matched Suddam's use of force in Kuwait by kicking the shit out of iraq, we have to match Putins brinkmanship if we hope to keep him from breaking the Ukraine

That is the problem. The idea of putting NATO troops in the Ukraine. Remember, when the Soviets collapsed and the Russian Federation came into being, it was agreed that NATO would not go further east. The Russians should have asked for it in writing but it was only by word of mouth. So they do not trust the West and NATO which wants to drive up to the border with Russia. NATO should have waited a few decades before even trying to get too involved in the Ukraine.

Having said that the Russians have done the following to counter the Western NATO advance on them.

Short news video from March - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPPlKI7VnSU

and more recently from last month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-CZEXkKLvQ

to be fair, if the Russians honestly had expected that all the former Warsaw Pact nations would be buddies with them after almost 50 years of being oppressed, they may have been sampling a little to much of their own product.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 pm

NATO's about to step foot in the Ukraine, mainly due to Ukraine requesting a membership action plan the other day.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Gingeska
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:57 pm

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Organized States wrote:NATO's about to step foot in the Ukraine, mainly due to Ukraine requesting a membership action plan the other day.

If NATO goes to war with Russia, it will most likely end with both sides firing nukes at each other, resulting in the extinction of the Human race....so, I'm not really sure this is a good idea.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:16 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Organized States wrote:NATO's about to step foot in the Ukraine, mainly due to Ukraine requesting a membership action plan the other day.

If NATO goes to war with Russia, it will most likely end with both sides firing nukes at each other, resulting in the extinction of the Human race....so, I'm not really sure this is a good idea.

I'm not too entirely sure of that, both would lose tremendously from any Nuclear Conflict, so contrary to popular belief, neither side would deploy nuclear weapons.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Esceen
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Esceen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Well, WW3 is going to happen one way or another. Why not make it Putin's fault? If some pocket of Humanity does end up surviving and they don't off themselves, he can be the new Hitler.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Well, either Putin is officially on Krokodil, or he's just more batshit insane than anyone quite realized.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:34 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

They won't go to war, Russia will black down when if NATO boots are on the ground

Putin is aggressive, but no stupid. He can't win a war with nato and he knows it. Not to mention that a war with nato would lead to allot of dead Russian soldiers which would greatly lessen his reputation back home
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Esceen
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Esceen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Padnak wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:If NATO goes to war with Russia, it will most likely end with both sides firing nukes at each other, resulting in the extinction of the Human race....so, I'm not really sure this is a good idea.

They won't go to war, Russia will black down when if NATO boots are on the ground

Putin is aggressive, but no stupid. He can't win a war with nato and he knows it. Not to mention that a war with nato would lead to allot of dead Russian soldiers which would greatly lessen his reputation back home

Not to mention a nuclear holocaust...

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Padnak wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:If NATO goes to war with Russia, it will most likely end with both sides firing nukes at each other, resulting in the extinction of the Human race....so, I'm not really sure this is a good idea.

Putin is aggressive, but no stupid.

Yup. He's rational and evil. If NATO did commit forces to defending the Ukraine, Vladdy Boy would know it's time to cut and run. (I don't actually expect they will, but suppose they did.) There are no winning moves for him from that position: military escalation won't go well, and could get out of hand -- not that I expect seriously out of hand, see "rational" -- and even keeping men in the field gets expensive. I'd expect plenty of proxy fighting, and fighting by forces out of uniform, but not hot tank-on-tank action. :p
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 pm

I have to say, its kind of sad how stupid people are being about this whole thing. There isn't going to be a nuclear war or anything like that. Putin is posturing and trying to keep the west off balance and guessing about what his plan is, and so far its been extremely effective. Putin is a strongman, but hes not stupid, he knows how far he can push the west to get what he wants and he isn't going to do anything to provoke an open war between Russia and Europe, let alone a nuclear one. So far the west hasn't stood up to Putin and done anything meaningful to stop him, so his strategy is working. Much to the dismay of everyone

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:02 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Burleson wrote:Not necessarily. Chuck Norris is older than dirt and Putin is just old as dirt. Putin is a higher level black-belt too. End result: They both die of heart attacks but Chuck Norris dies first.

You forget:

Death is afraid of Chuck Norris

You're thinking of Roosevelt, try again.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Padnak wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:-snip-

The Russian fleet is a non-factor when it comes to menacing their neighbours and even then its allot better then it was

But quite impotent at menacing NATO, which is what I was getting at. If, for some reason, NATO decides to support the Ukraine, and as a result, Turkey closes the Straights and Demark closes the Sound to Russian traffic, Russia has no ability to force either position. At lot of their trade goes bye-bye as a result.

Padnak wrote:the Russian air force has more money then the entirety of the Canadian military (Not factual, but I wouldn't be surprised if its true)

Even if true, whoop-de-doo. Texan Boy Scout troops are more heavily armed than the Canadian military. :p Canada is not Vlad's worry or who he's waving his strap-on at: its the US and Europe.

Padnak wrote:and the Russian army is leagues above what constitutes a military in many of its neighbours

Same thing here: gosh, Russia can beat up the Ukraine and Khazakstan. Whee.

Padnak wrote:Mentioning guerrilla war... they were victorious in Chechnya with a military that was a shadow of what it is today with an economy close to collapse and their opponent was rather determined and quite well armed

Let's see... fighting started in 1994, the Russians gave up for a while, then fighting resumed, and the Russians declared they won in 2009. That took them 15 years, against guys yes, determined and armed, but not AFAIK, armed with modern NATO weapons. Also, all of Chechnya has a population less than that of Kiev (~1.5M vs ~2.1M), much less all of the Ukraine (44M). Little different, eh? Lots more people to try to keep down, lots more money to buy weapons with, even assuming NATO doesn't just give them stuff for fun.

Padnak wrote:Fighting a guerrilla war doesn't take allot of resources or training, look at all the states locked in internal conflicts

Winning such a war, however, is quite expensive. Both the US and Russia have extensive experience in failing to do so. :p
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:14 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

Not this again...

No, unless Putin is an idiot, he won't resort to using nukes at all.
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Padnak wrote:
The Russian fleet is a non-factor when it comes to menacing their neighbours and even then its allot better then it was

But quite impotent at menacing NATO, which is what I was getting at. If, for some reason, NATO decides to support the Ukraine, and as a result, Turkey closes the Straights and Demark closes the Sound to Russian traffic, Russia has no ability to force either position. At lot of their trade goes bye-bye as a result.

Padnak wrote:the Russian air force has more money then the entirety of the Canadian military (Not factual, but I wouldn't be surprised if its true)

Even if true, whoop-de-doo. Texan Boy Scout troops are more heavily armed than the Canadian military. :p Canada is not Vlad's worry or who he's waving his strap-on at: its the US and Europe.

Padnak wrote:and the Russian army is leagues above what constitutes a military in many of its neighbours

Same thing here: gosh, Russia can beat up the Ukraine and Khazakstan. Whee.

Padnak wrote:Mentioning guerrilla war... they were victorious in Chechnya with a military that was a shadow of what it is today with an economy close to collapse and their opponent was rather determined and quite well armed

Let's see... fighting started in 1994, the Russians gave up for a while, then fighting resumed, and the Russians declared they won in 2009. That took them 15 years, against guys yes, determined and armed, but not AFAIK, armed with modern NATO weapons. Also, all of Chechnya has a population less than that of Kiev (~1.5M vs ~2.1M), much less all of the Ukraine (44M). Little different, eh? Lots more people to try to keep down, lots more money to buy weapons with, even assuming NATO doesn't just give them stuff for fun.

Padnak wrote:Fighting a guerrilla war doesn't take allot of resources or training, look at all the states locked in internal conflicts

Winning such a war, however, is quite expensive. Both the US and Russia have extensive experience in failing to do so. :p

Arguing about Russia's military dick size aside, a war between NATO and Russia is extremely unlikely, if only because Russia would gain nothing from it

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Senkaku wrote:Well, either Putin is officially on Krokodil, or he's just more batshit insane than anyone quite realized.

Remember Boys and Girls, constantly posing topless in the Russian climate has consequences.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Well, either Putin is officially on Krokodil, or he's just more batshit insane than anyone quite realized.

Remember Boys and Girls, constantly posing topless in the Russian climate has consequences.

If it wasn't as late as it is I'd make a joke about swimming in polluted Russian water

but sadly my mind isn't up to the task

Oceanic Vakiadia
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Oceanic Vakiadia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 pm

In my view, Putin is obviously not going to try war with the West deliberately. That's not the point though. The point is that this is an undeniable sign of tense Russian-American relations of the kind not seen since the Cold War.

Really though, how anyone could support this powerhungry maniac in 2014 is beyond me.
Last edited by Oceanic Vakiadia on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing NationStates since December 29, 2007.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:55 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:No, unless Putin is an idiot, he won't resort to using nukes at all.

Russia launching any nukes would essentially be giving NATO full permission to do the same to Russia. No- if anything, diplomacy and heaven forbid even conventional warfare should be given a chance before considering the use of nuclear weapons. Going straight to the last resort weapon and not having any restraint in exhausting all the other options first, would be dooming Russia and perhaps the rest of the world to ruin.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:18 am

I'm sorry, but did your personal beleifs prevent you from reading linked articles? There-there, don't worry. I
have a quote for you:

However, while Ukraine's prime minister, Arseny Yatseniuk said on Friday that Ukraine would now seek to join Nato, sources within the organisation said that it would be unlikely happen. Any such move would oblige Nato to come to Ukraine's immediate defence against Russia.

A Nato source said: "Ukraine is not an ally. Nato may respect Ukraine's decision if it seeks membership but the Alliance is not going to accelerate in that direction."
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”
Fight for Peace. Live for War. Die for Nothing
I wholeheartedly support the Great Ukraine from Lviv to Ternopil!
Кто не скачет - того Крым!
The ultimate fate of all Russophobes.

Lyttenburgh. Founded: Thu Sep 1 2011. Deleted: Sun Jun 8 2014. Population: 5.201 billion.
Never Forgive. Never Forget

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:25 am

Saiwania wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:No, unless Putin is an idiot, he won't resort to using nukes at all.

Russia launching any nukes would essentially be giving NATO full permission to do the same to Russia. No- if anything, diplomacy and heaven forbid even conventional warfare should be given a chance before considering the use of nuclear weapons. Going straight to the last resort weapon and not having any restraint in exhausting all the other options first, would be dooming Russia and perhaps the rest of the world to ruin.

No shit, that was the point of my post.

You would have to be a major fucking idiot to use nuclear weapons first and foremost, even if your capital is taken you shouldn't resort to them.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:27 am

Do you really believe those that govern us are really stupid enough to start a full-blown war at this moment; a war that could alter or even annihilate humanity entirely? We all now our heads of state and government aren't the brightest and/or most mentally sane human beings but are they really this stupid? I refuse to believe the people we put (or maybe didn't) in power in our countries are going to do this sort of thing? I'm really interested in what people here think so please leave your answers/opinions.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:34 am

Lyttenburg wrote:

I'm sorry, but did your personal beleifs prevent you from reading linked articles? There-there, don't worry. I
have a quote for you:

However, while Ukraine's prime minister, Arseny Yatseniuk said on Friday that Ukraine would now seek to join Nato, sources within the organisation said that it would be unlikely happen. Any such move would oblige Nato to come to Ukraine's immediate defence against Russia.

A Nato source said: "Ukraine is not an ally. Nato may respect Ukraine's decision if it seeks membership but the Alliance is not going to accelerate in that direction."

Seems kind of baity to me, but I'm a fairly reasonable guy, and I'll ignore the snarky comment.

But I have a quote from Mr. Secretary General Rasmussen,
NATO Secretary-General Anders Rasmussen said Friday that NATO would allow Ukraine into the alliance, provided “Ukraine so wishes and fulfills the necessary criteria,”

The Alliance is still considering it.
Last edited by Organized States on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Regenburg
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regenburg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:38 am

meh
nato wouldn't defend us anyway
caps lock sucks
pro:russian language,shashlik,hardbass,blood sausages,samogitia,weed,kvass,anarchism,the doors,gta,paganism,cats
con:america,military,politics,swag,ios,school,pop music,school,capitalism,
Kalbajobai babaužei dėdlietuovenenkai-tuteušiei,vuon no Žemaitiu ruodos!
dont expect me being useful in discussion that would be a big mistake
i dont know why im here either

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General