NATION

PASSWORD

Your religious affiliation, or lack thereof, and why?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you consider yourself?

Protestant
13%
Catholic
15%
Other Christian
8%
Jewish
3%
Muslim
4%
Hindu
1%
Buddhist
3%
Other religion
9%
Not religious
45%

Total votes : 1021

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
I never did see god as omnibenevolent. The idea of a just god and omnibenevolent god just don't work together. Besides, the the god I believed in was pretty much a tribal god, only interested in his chosen people.

Well the chosen people are supposed to be interested in humanity so......

However if that god had to choose between his tribe and the rest of humanity, he would protect his tribe, supposedly, hence why I said a tribal god.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Bari wrote:No, that is the definition. It's in the Holy Bible, which, believe it or not, is the Abrahamic Holy Writ. Here are a few verse to show you.

Psalms 86:5
Psalms 25:8
Mark 10:18
Psalms 52:1
Romans 2:4
Exodus 34:6
2 Thessalonians 1:11
Jeremiah 33:9
Psalms 34:8
Psalms 36:5-9
Psalms 96:4
Psalms 100:5
Psalms 135:3
Psalms 145:9
Lamentations 3:22-25
Nahum 1:7
John 3:16-17
Romans 5:8
Romans 6:23
Romans 10:9-13
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Ephesians 2:8-9
Titus 3:5
1 John 4:8-10
Exodus 33:18
Romans 1:20
Romans 2:6-11

why are you quoting Psalms so much? psalms are prayers and devotions.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:Well the chosen people are supposed to be interested in humanity so......

However if that god had to choose between his tribe and the rest of humanity, he would protect his tribe, supposedly, hence why I said a tribal god.

If you have been chosen for an eternal mission, your place is eternal.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

If you have been chosen for an eternal mission, your place is eternal.

What?
Just A Little though

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:If you have been chosen for an eternal mission, your place is eternal.

What?

I didn't quite understand what you meant, would God choose the Jews for survival over all of humanity is that your question?
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Bari
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Bari wrote:No, that is the definition. It's in the Holy Bible, which, believe it or not, is the Abrahamic Holy Writ. Here are a few verse to show you.

And as I said you are choosing to believe the simple claims that he is good and ignoring his actions which show otherwise.
That's why you were projecting when you claimed that I 'cherry-pick'.
Most amusing.

I'm not cherry picking. I acknowledge what God has done. You, however, are disregarding the definition of God and then going on to say, "Well, objectively He must be evil!"

There's two problems with that. You are projecting human morals on God, Who is not a human. And you are disregarding the definition of God.

Neutraligon wrote:

The Psalms are still relevant.
Last edited by Bari on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari
Pour la plus grande gloire de Dieu

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
What?

I didn't quite understand what you meant, would God choose the Jews for survival over all of humanity is that your question?

Yes and no. I am saying that if the God of Israel were somehow in a situation where a choice had to be made between the people of Israel and the rest of the world, he would choose the people of Israel over the rest of the world.
Just A Little though

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Bari wrote:
Genivaria wrote:And as I said you are choosing to believe the simple claims that he is good and ignoring his actions which show otherwise.
Most amusing.

I'm not cherry picking. I acknowledge what God has done. You, however, are disregarding the definition of God and then going on to say, "Well, objectively He must be evil!"

There's two problems with that. You are projecting human morals on God, Who is not a human. And you are disregarding the definition of God.

I am not saying 'objectively He must be evil!', I am saying BY GOD'S OWN STANDARDS he would be evil.

And I don't understand why you criticize human morals, modern human morals promote kindess to animals, equality of women and other races, abolition of slavery, kindness to children and the poor, and even tolerance of other beliefs.
All very modern values.
If those are wrong I don't want to be right.
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Bari wrote:
Genivaria wrote:And as I said you are choosing to believe the simple claims that he is good and ignoring his actions which show otherwise.
Most amusing.

Neutraligon wrote:

How, they are simply people trying to get something from god. Ever heard of sucking up to the boss? At best they are human opinion of what they think god might be like. It no more defines god than my saying god is a malevolent bully defines god.
Just A Little though

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:I didn't quite understand what you meant, would God choose the Jews for survival over all of humanity is that your question?

Yes and no. I am saying that if the God of Israel were somehow in a situation where a choice had to be made between the people of Israel and the rest of the world, he would choose the people of Israel over the rest of the world.

I don't think that's entirely true:
For what was Israel chosen?
To be a light unto the nations.
Can Israel be a light unto the nations with no nations?

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I don't think that's entirely true:

Who said all the other nations would be entirely wiped out?
Just A Little though

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:I don't think that's entirely true:

Was that not your hypothetical?

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Bari wrote:

I am not saying 'objectively He must be evil!', I am saying BY GOD'S OWN STANDARDS he would be evil.

I see what you are saying, but the only way I can see this ending is you saying God has set double standards.

Most amusing.[/quote]

Neutraligon wrote:

The Psalms are still relevant.[/quote]

How, they are simply people trying to get something from god. Ever heard of sucking up to the boss? At best they are human opinion of what they think god might be like. It no more defines god than my saying god is a malevolent bully defines god.[/quote]
Except they have been divinely revealed, meaning they contain truth.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Was that not your hypothetical?

NO, I simply said that god would choose one over the other. God does not always entirely wipe out the other nations. Also, supposedly eventually the Jews would no longer need to be the light, since everyone would follow god. If god did wipe out everyone else the same ends would be achieved, although with far fewer people.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Bari wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

How, they are simply people trying to get something from god. Ever heard of sucking up to the boss? At best they are human opinion of what they think god might be like. It no more defines god than my saying god is a malevolent bully defines god.

Except they have been divinely revealed, meaning they contain truth.

How are prayers divinely revealed? How are requests divinely revealed? That makes no sense at all.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Bari wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I am not saying 'objectively He must be evil!', I am saying BY GOD'S OWN STANDARDS he would be evil.

I see what you are saying, but the only way I can see this ending is you saying God has set double standards.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:Was that not your hypothetical?

NO, I simply said that god would choose one over the other. God does not always entirely wipe out the other nations.

Let us take Israel and Rome, God would choose Israel over Rome because of Israel's mission.

Neutraligon wrote:Also, supposedly eventually the Jews would no longer need to be the light, since everyone would follow god.

When the Messiah comes.
Neutraligon wrote: If god did wipe out everyone else the same ends would be achieved, although with far fewer people.

How could God reward people for good if they didn't have a chance to do good?

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Menassa wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
NO, I simply said that god would choose one over the other. God does not always entirely wipe out the other nations.

Let us take Israel and Rome, God would choose Israel over Rome because of Israel's mission.

Neutraligon wrote:Also, supposedly eventually the Jews would no longer need to be the light, since everyone would follow god.

When the Messiah comes.
Neutraligon wrote: If god did wipe out everyone else the same ends would be achieved, although with far fewer people.

How would they be prevented from doing good? They could still aid their fellow Jews.
Just A Little though

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Bari wrote:I see what you are saying, but the only way I can see this ending is you saying God has set double standards.

Most amusing.

Neutraligon wrote:

How, they are simply people trying to get something from god. Ever heard of sucking up to the boss? At best they are human opinion of what they think god might be like. It no more defines god than my saying god is a malevolent bully defines god.[/quote]
Except they have been divinely revealed, meaning they contain truth.[/quote]

How are prayers divinely revealed? How are requests divinely revealed? That makes no sense at all.[/quote]

The Holy Bible and its contents, according to the Abrahamic religions, are divinely revealed/inspired, meaning there is truth in what it says to some extent or another. So the verses I quoted say things such as, "God is good." If that were divinely inspired, it would mean that there is truth in that statement.

I think what you a re confused about is you believe that every single part of the Psalms is a supplication or exhortation or something like that. But what I have quoted was statements.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:Let us take Israel and Rome, God would choose Israel over Rome because of Israel's mission.

When the Messiah comes.

How would they be prevented from doing good? They could still aid their fellow Jews.

You lost me.

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Bari wrote:I see what you are saying, but the only way I can see this ending is you saying God has set double standards.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!

I have two things to say on your conclusion.

Firstly, double standards are not intrinsically evil, so these, by no means, make God evil.

Secondly, and you, more likely than not, will not appreciate this. Nevertheless, it must be said. Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi, meaning God is allowed to do that which we, as humans, are not allowed to do by reason of His status as God.
In addition, there are different standards. When you say, "BY GOD'S OWN STANDARDS," I assume you mean God's standards for humans. He, however, is not human, meaning those do not apply to Him justifiably.
Last edited by Bari on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Bari wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!

I have two things to say on your conclusion.

Firstly, double standards are not intrinsically evil, so these, by no means, make God evil.

Secondly, and you, more likely than not, will not appreciate this. Nevertheless, it must be said. Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi, meaning God is allowed to do that which we, as humans, are not by reason of His stays as God.
But there are different standards. When you say, "BY GOD'S OWN STANDARDS," I assume you mean God's standards for humans. He, however, is not human, meaning those do not apply to Him justifiably.

So basically special pleading. By what criteria are you using to determine god is good? Or are you simply saying god is good because the bible said he is. If that is the case, you could be definition say any action is god. A double standard simply shows how much of a hypocrite god is. If god is unable to follow his own commandments, then that god should not have made the commandments in the first place.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Bari wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
How are prayers divinely revealed? How are requests divinely revealed? That makes no sense at all.

The Holy Bible and its contents, according to the Abrahamic religions, are divinely revealed/inspired, meaning there is truth in what it says to some extent or another. So the verses I quoted say things such as, "God is good." If that were divinely inspired, it would mean that there is truth in that statement.

I think what you a re confused about is you believe that every single part of the Psalms is a supplication or exhortation or something like that. But what I have quoted was statements.

No they aren't. They are supplications of god for assistance or are praise to try and suck up to said god. They make no claim to fact, only to what the person making that prayer believes.
Just A Little though

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Menassa wrote:Let us take Israel and Rome, God would choose Israel over Rome because of Israel's mission.

When the Messiah comes.

They could not do good if they had no chance for it so how could they possibly aid other Jews?
:P.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Bari
Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Bari wrote:I have two things to say on your conclusion.

Secondly, and you, more likely than not, will not appreciate this. Nevertheless, it must be said. Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi, meaning God is allowed to do that which we, as humans, are not by reason of His stays as God.
But there are different standards. When you say, "BY GOD'S OWN STANDARDS," I assume you mean God's standards for humans. He, however, is not human, meaning those do not apply to Him justifiably.

So basically special pleading. By what criteria are you using to determine god is good? Or are you simply saying god is good because the bible said he is. If that is the case, you could be definition say any action is god. A double standard simply shows how much of a hypocrite god is. If god is unable to follow his own commandments, then that god should not have made the commandments in the first place.

I don't see how that is special pleading. Standards are set for a particular purpose and concept. Therefore, standards for one concept do not apply to an entirely separate concept. We do not apply human standards to animals, for example.

There is one very relevant and very moving criterion, and that would be the very definition of God.

The Holy Bible, being the Abrahamic Holy Writ concerning the Abrahamic God, yes, I would say has more authority on determining what is and what is not God than you do.

I'm assuming you understand the difference between God and a human, so you can't compare God to a human and, thereby, impose the different standards.

"If god is unable to follow his own commandments," -- This is an assumption you have no reason to believe. You don't know what God is or is not capable of.

"then that god should not have made the commandments in the first place." -- I know I might sound crazy but maybe, just maybe, those commandments weren't intended for God. I know, it's crazy, but maybe, when God communicated those commandments to people, had them distributed among people and had those commandments concerning human, temporal things, then maybe God intended them for people. It's a craaaaazy line of thought, but it might just work.

Neutraligon wrote:
Bari wrote:

No they aren't. They are supplications of god for assistance or are praise to try and suck up to said god. They make no claim to fact, only to what the person making that prayer believes.

"God is good" is, in itself, a declaration. Them, being used in a supplicative or exhortative context, does not, in any way, affect the truthfulness of that declaration.

Even if it did, there still remain countless other verses that confirm that the Holy Bible does, in fact, verify the omnibenevolence of God.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General