NATION

PASSWORD

Feminists today: are they doing it wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Feminists today: are they doing it wrong?

Postby Greater Beggnig » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 pm

We've all seen some of the latest campaigns in feminism, the "Ban Bossy" campaign and their reaction to the 'Women Against Feminism.'

Let me clarify my position before I start. I am not a MRA nor am I a sexist. I hate gender roles and I call people out for assigning them all the time. I see that there is still negative social stigma towards women. I've seen, for example, in my own country of Australia, the petty and neurotic obsession with how Julia Gillard dressed, when we'd never given a damn what our other Prime Ministers wore.

The Ban Bossy campaign was a very poorly thought out idea. Sure, being called bossy might make someone less likely to take up leadership roles, but if your aspiration to lead can be destroyed by one word, the question has to be asked. Were you really leadership material in the first place? Besides, doesn't this campaign just highlight that women aren't equal to men and are seen as more fragile in our society? Doesn't it just perpetuate this myth that women are delicate flowers, who must be protected from negative influence at all costs?

Where has Feminism's 'we can do it!' attitude gone?

The reaction to 'Women against Feminism' by Rebecca Brink highlighted once again the way in which feminists are behaving incorrectly. This image is the most potent example:
When the Civil Rights Movement was in full swing in America, how did the movement succeed in changing people's minds? Was it by saying 'Teach whites not to be racist!' or by getting aggressive? No. It was by making moving speeches that actually convinced people. Can you imagine if, as a white person in the 1960's, you saw an image of someone holding a placard like this saying 'I don't need the Black Panthers and Nation of Islam because I have poor reasoning skills and have failed to see aggressive anti-racist rhetoric within the context of centuries of violence against the black race.' You would be incensed. You wouldn't think, 'oh, maybe they have a point,' you would think, these guys are crazy. Another issue is that this claims that if you disagree with aggressive feminist rhetoric you have poor reasoning skills. Oh, do I? Yes, I do have bad reasoning skills because I've failed to take centuries of violence into account when thinking that saying 'I'm reading, fuck-face' is not an appropriate way to act when being interrupted while reading a list. Acting like that isn't going to convince anyone of your point.

Which path is Feminism going down? The path of MLK or the path of NOI and the Black Panthers?
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:39 pm

More than any other civil rights movement, except for maybe Men's Rights, feminism has no center. Feminists have never agreed on what paths to take and what the movement means. So it's not going to go down one path, and has never gone down one path. It will always be divided individual groups.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Greater Beggnig wrote:Which path is Feminism going down? The path of MLK or the path of NOI and the Black Panthers?

As a movement, feminism is collectively headed down the path to radicalism.

• Within feminism it is fashionable to identify yourself as "radical" even if you are not, so people are making a display out of radicalism in order to score points in an in-group way.
  • There's very little effort by feminists to exclude hateful misandry from the movement.
  • Feminism has a long history of not doing anything in particular on behalf of problems thought to be men's problems, but feminists violently attack any independent group that attempts to address gendered problems.
  • "Tumblr-feminism," as it might be called, is in a very unhealthy place where affirmation replaces information - a growing problem for a number of groups now that the Internet lets them insulate themselves from having to communicate with outside thought so much more effectively.
  • Most of the important policy victories of feminism have already been won in the modern West.
The last one is crucial. In the US, for example, feminists' #1 issue as a movement is now how convenient it is for women to access reproductive health services. Not whether or not women have the right to abortion, birth control pills, et cetera, but how affordable it is, how long a drive is needed to get to a clinic, how many protesters are allowed where, what sorts of decisions insurers are allowed to make with regard to coverage and pricing, et cetera.

The major issues have almost all been solved. This means lots of people who were active feminists declared victory and went home. The entire mission of liberal feminism was to have rights equal to men and protection against discrimination, and that's done. So either you focus on the Third World, you focus on the interests of women rather than on equal rights, or you change your focus to something else, say, GSM rights, where there's a lot of progress left to be made even in the First World.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:02 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:More than any other civil rights movement, except for maybe Men's Rights, feminism has no center. Feminists have never agreed on what paths to take and what the movement means. So it's not going to go down one path, and has never gone down one path. It will always be divided individual groups.

the mra movement is as much of a civil rights movement as the kkk lol
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:More than any other civil rights movement, except for maybe Men's Rights, feminism has no center. Feminists have never agreed on what paths to take and what the movement means. So it's not going to go down one path, and has never gone down one path. It will always be divided individual groups.

That's not entirely true, but the decentralized nature of it tends to attract a lot of mysogynists.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Its going down the shitter obviously, I do wonder if it will spread to other countries that don't have equality of sex though, they need a cultural kick first before change can be done, and when that happens we cannot give them third wave feminism, that will end badly.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Arumdaum wrote:

yep
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Feminism 2k14: A Wave Too Far
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Define "wrong"?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Benuty wrote:Define "wrong"?

Doing more harm to the name of feminism than benefit.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Look, the sarcastic, passive aggressive, total lack of interest in understanding either that there are various reasons for and ways of criticising feminism that typifies discussions of feminist issues on the internet speaks of a movement that has problems with unhelpful characters associating with it online. This is further complicated by the big issues being largely solved and the one's that remain (such as representation and the pay gap) being quite complex.

I think we'll continue to see ill-thought out approaches to internet discussions by internet feminists. I do think feminism IRL is capable of recognising that the approach many internet feminists take isn't constructive (and, indeed, is often destructive).
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:24 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Its going down the shitter obviously, I do wonder if it will spread to other countries that don't have equality of sex though, they need a cultural kick first before change can be done, and when that happens we cannot give them third wave feminism, that will end badly.

Constantly playing the victim and continuing to focus on western society will not achieve that end.
-Augusto Pinochet

Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:32 am

Well I don't think they have any real claim to be for equality since they call themselves feminists, rather than egalitarian. In all honesty I don't much care anymore, it's rather fun to watch society go down the shitter thanks to political correctness, cultural marxism, and runaway entitlement programs.
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:33 am

You don't know much about third wave feminism or the Black Panthers, do you?

Tahar Joblis wrote:The major issues have almost all been solved. This means lots of people who were active feminists declared victory and went home. The entire mission of liberal feminism was to have rights equal to men and protection against discrimination, and that's done. So either you focus on the Third World, you focus on the interests of women rather than on equal rights, or you change your focus to something else, say, GSM rights, where there's a lot of progress left to be made even in the First World.

Only looking at legislation is a shallow approach to understanding and combating oppression.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:36 am

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Greater Beggnig wrote:Which path is Feminism going down? The path of MLK or the path of NOI and the Black Panthers?

As a movement, feminism is collectively headed down the path to radicalism.

• Within feminism it is fashionable to identify yourself as "radical" even if you are not, so people are making a display out of radicalism in order to score points in an in-group way.
  • There's very little effort by feminists to exclude hateful misandry from the movement.
  • Feminism has a long history of not doing anything in particular on behalf of problems thought to be men's problems, but feminists violently attack any independent group that attempts to address gendered problems.
  • "Tumblr-feminism," as it might be called, is in a very unhealthy place where affirmation replaces information - a growing problem for a number of groups now that the Internet lets them insulate themselves from having to communicate with outside thought so much more effectively.
  • Most of the important policy victories of feminism have already been won in the modern West.
The last one is crucial. In the US, for example, feminists' #1 issue as a movement is now how convenient it is for women to access reproductive health services. Not whether or not women have the right to abortion, birth control pills, et cetera, but how affordable it is, how long a drive is needed to get to a clinic, how many protesters are allowed where, what sorts of decisions insurers are allowed to make with regard to coverage and pricing, et cetera.

I don't know if I agree with this.

I mean, you are right that Tumblr-feminism is a really really unhealthy place, but I think there are many cultural issues that feminists (both male and female) can and should address, like the portrayal of female sexuality in media and educational material, the pepetration of negative and unconstructive stereotypes of women, rape culture, etc. These are real, serious issues, they might not rise to the point of women being stoned in the streets but they still are serious issues.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:49 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Its going down the shitter obviously, I do wonder if it will spread to other countries that don't have equality of sex though, they need a cultural kick first before change can be done, and when that happens we cannot give them third wave feminism, that will end badly.

Constantly playing the victim and continuing to focus on western society will not achieve that end.

It is perfectly appropriate for persons in the western world to focus their social efforts on the western world.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:54 am

Meryuma wrote:You don't know much about third wave feminism or the Black Panthers, do you?

It's perfectly legitimate to disagree and reject their views.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:56 am

Feminists are acknowledging the damaging consequences of name-calling, bullying, and negative, nonconstructive feedback sound the alarms
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 am

Meryuma wrote:You don't know much about third wave feminism or the Black Panthers, do you?

Tahar Joblis wrote:The major issues have almost all been solved. This means lots of people who were active feminists declared victory and went home. The entire mission of liberal feminism was to have rights equal to men and protection against discrimination, and that's done. So either you focus on the Third World, you focus on the interests of women rather than on equal rights, or you change your focus to something else, say, GSM rights, where there's a lot of progress left to be made even in the First World.

Only looking at legislation is a shallow approach to understanding and combating oppression.

I know, the Black Panthers were a paramilitary group, on matters of 'third wave feminism' I am perhaps less knowledgeable.
-Augusto Pinochet

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:59 am

Forsher wrote:
Greater Beggnig wrote:

It is perfectly appropriate for persons in the western world to focus their social efforts on the western world.

Okay. Apply that logic to any other issue that is many times worse in other countries and see how far you get before you realise how flawed that logic is.
-Augusto Pinochet

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:01 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Okay. Apply that logic to any other issue that is many times worse in other countries and see how far you get before you realise how flawed that logic is.

Such as?

In NZ, we talk about violence towards children. Focus? NZ.

In NZ, we talk about social inequality. Focus? NZ.

In NZ, we talk about gay marriage. Focus? NZ.

I can go on, do I need to? There is nothing wrong with this, at all, even if things are worse somewhere else.

Your logic is like saying that I shouldn't care about a genocide in ABCD because something worse is happening in EFGH.
Last edited by Forsher on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:01 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:
Forsher wrote:

This is not a flawed logic. Civil liberties advocates spend much more money on protecting free speech in the West than they do protecting free speech in countries like Saudi Arabia.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:02 am

Only looking at problems from the perspective of how they can be construed as oppression of women is a shallow approach to understanding and propagating gender equality. It is also fatally flawed, unlike the pursuit of the legislation of equal rights, and the pursuit of anti-discrimination policy. The complete mission of liberal feminism did not stop with nominal rights, but continued to the systematic implementation of protections for those rights. And it's worked. If you face discrimination because you are a woman, you have avenues of recourse.

The project of equality in legislation and policy, enforced by anti-discrimination and equal rights statutes, what gets divided into liberal feminism whenever someone decides to slice up the feminist movement into component historical parts, is a wholly positive project. And you can't openly attack that project for being wrong, so you simply attack that project as shallow. It's not particularly shallow; it took more than a century to build, spanned multiple waves of activism, and in the case of the United States, also helped lead to the permanent abolition of slavery and temporary abolition of alcohol.

Are there remaining areas to work on in terms of sexism still stalking the land? Yes.
Can they be solved by declaring women oppressed and affirming that only feminine perspectives on the problems are legitimate? Very unlikely, in most cases.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:03 am

Forsher wrote:
Greater Beggnig wrote:

Such as?

It is perfectly appropriate for persons in the western world to not donate to charities because they still have to pay their bills and buy consumer goods.
-Augusto Pinochet

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:04 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Such as?

It is perfectly appropriate for persons in the western world to not donate to charities because they still have to pay their bills and buy consumer goods.

Are you saying that is untrue?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General