NATION

PASSWORD

Islamic State Crisis Megathread (ISIS/ISIL/IS)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Beta Test wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Not sure what flag it is, but Islamist? Islamic flags are often used by Islamists, though it doesn't make the flag an Islamist one.

It's the Shahada. Muslim Statement of Faith.

Which isn't exactly a terrorist flag.

Historically speaking, Islam doesn't necessarily have a single image to represent it. You've the black/white with Shahada. You've got green banners, as well as other colors like white and red. You also have the crescent(which is probably the most universally accepted of being representative of Islam, and was brought about by the Ottoman Empire). The crescent star is also used by some, but the crescent itself is commonly accepted.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Are you blind by any chance?
I don't know, are you?
If so, let me be blunt: you don't know shit about warfare if your only explanation for it occurring in an urban environment is cowardice.
like shit I'm fucking dumb when it comes to this sort of thing, but at the very least I've never said anything as senseless as that.

Obviously you did not read my post, or you simply lack the knowledge of seeing the point that was made with it.
Both are equally sad though, i feel sorry for you.

Beta Test wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Not sure what flag it is, but Islamist? Islamic flags are often used by Islamists, though it doesn't make the flag an Islamist one.

It's the Shahada. Muslim Statement of Faith.

Okay, so not an Islamist flag, good to have cleared that out.
Last edited by The Seleucids (Ancient) on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Tabcorp Park wrote:
The balkens wrote:WHAAAAAAAT!?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 7156241649

Pretty scary stuff!

No doubt that after this is over there will be a wave of knee-jerk "anti-terror" legislation.
Insert trite farewell here

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Arkotania wrote:
Beta Test wrote:It's the Shahada. Muslim Statement of Faith.

Historically speaking, Islam doesn't necessarily have a single image to represent it. You've the black/white with Shahada. You've got green banners, as well as other colors like white and red. You also have the crescent(which is probably the most universally accepted of being representative of Islam, and was brought about by the Ottoman Empire). The crescent star is also used by some, but the crescent itself is commonly accepted.

The crescent and star were used by tengriist/shamanist Turks and represented the Sky God (Tengri). When the Ottoman Empire which had its roots in a Central Asian tribe designated such a flag, Arab nations also began to use it later on and it eventually turned into sort of a represenative symbol for Islam. It's originally a Turkic pagan symbol. Of course, it might have been used by some other civilizations but the reason why it's associated with Islam is because Turks accidentally incorporated their shamanic symbol into the religion.

The star and crescent symbol only became associated with Islam in the mid 20th century, following its in the national flags of various successor states of the Ottoman Empire.[1] By the 1970s, this symbolism was embraced by movements of Arab nationalism or Islamism, such as the proposed Arab Islamic Republic (1974) and the American Nation of Islam (1973)
Last edited by Gezi Park on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:32 pm

The Seleucids wrote:Don't reply to him, he doesn't give a shit about anyone except his great Turkeyland which is allowed to screw over other nations for the sake of the Ottoman restoration by Sultan Erdogan.

We are not to blame for that. Don't worry, Erdogan will eventually be brought to account for dragging our country into the hellhole that is called the Middle East. And this stupid neo-ottoman adventure will come to an end once we get rid of him.

Oh, btw, I do give a shit about other people. Just not a bunch of Kurdish terrorists.
Last edited by Gezi Park on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Gezi Park wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:Don't reply to him, he doesn't give a shit about anyone except his great Turkeyland which is allowed to screw over other nations for the sake of the Ottoman restoration by Sultan Erdogan.

We are not to blame for that. Don't worry, Erdogan will eventually be brought to account for dragging our country into the hellhole that is called the Middle East. And this stupid neo-ottoman adventure will come to an end once we get rid of him.

Oh, btw, I do give a shit about other people. Just not a bunch of Kurdish terrorists.

1) Not all Kurds are terrorists, hope you know that.
2) You don't seem to honestly, especially when looking at your comments about stuff happening in the middle-east. Perhaps it would be better to put up a more civilized tone if you want people to believe that you do care about others.

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:40 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Gezi Park wrote:

2) You don't seem to honestly, especially when looking at your comments about stuff happening in the middle-east. Perhaps it would be better to put up a more civilized tone if you want people to believe that you do care about others.

1) I didn't refer to all Kurds the same way people don't refer to all Muslims when they mention Islamic terrorism. I look at Kobani and I don't see anyone except a bunch of Kurdish terrorist militants whom I have no reason to give a single fuck about.
2) What was uncivilized about my post? isn't the Middle East like a hellhole at the moment? and yes, Erdogan is a big reason for that. Many people are suffering out there because of him supporting all these Islamic terrorists, which he will definitely be judged for. And we'll put an end to this by getting our hands off the region and focusing on some other stuff once we get rid of him.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Reports indicate one known gunman and an unknown number of hostages.
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:42 pm

West Aurelia wrote:Reports indicate one known gunman and an unknown number of hostages.

I read at least 13 hostages.
Insert trite farewell here

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:44 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:"Way beyond" in this case meaning "within a few kilometers". It IS on your border.

Don't reply to him, he doesn't give a shit about anyone except his great Turkeyland which is allowed to screw over other nations for the sake of the Ottoman restoration by Sultan Erdogan.

Al Nahar wrote:
FSA defected? The Islamists in those militias did. There are still tens of thousands of opposition rebels fighting the regime and daesh, yes the group that the regime deals oil with. You talk about common warfare, yet you are saying the FSA should come out and fight assad in the open? Give the FSA 1000 tanks, 500 jets, artillery, a superpower to directly back them, a terrorist group with highly trained soldiers to help them in times of dire urge and a regional power also, then im sure the FSA would love to fight assad in the open. To wage a guerrilla war against a an army that has mass amounts of equipment and support requires fighting in areas where their own losses can be minimized to the max. Common warfare? that is idiotic, Daesh and taken a lot of Syria's airfields, surrounded the most major regime base and airport in the east, continues to launch more and more offensives but Assad keeps stalling and trying to eliminate the main opposition so he can look like the only alternative to terrorists. Daesh has the equipment, funding and training to fight head on with armies in the region. We saw this when the Iraqi army ran away and lost big time against Daesh, we are seeing this as Shiite militias supported by Iran and without coordination by 1.2 trillion dollars of U.S. airstrikes are failing to take any major ground against Daesh, we see this as well how the crap syrian army lost every battle it fought against Daesh even witht he support of regime warplanes. Give the main opposition the same funding, training, and areas to recruit manpower without hindrance with proper leadership im sure this garbage of the regime would wither away.

Hey, you started to complain about civillian deaths, i only pointed out that the full blame for that lies with the FSA who hides behind these people. A simular case is often seen at the Gaza Strip you know.

Arkotania wrote:
That would make sense in regards to geopolitics.

Actually it doesn't since Turkey won't benefit at all from that chaos.

What I mean is that, since Erdogan has ruled out any intervention in Syria except against Assad as well, that, he could intervene in Syria when the time is "right", and could essentially make a vassal in at least part of Syria.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Scomagia wrote:
West Aurelia wrote:Reports indicate one known gunman and an unknown number of hostages.

I read at least 13 hostages.

Conflicting reports now identify 10 staff and 30 customers.
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:53 pm

The Seleucids wrote:Obviously you did not read my post, or you simply lack the knowledge of seeing the point that was made with it.
Ok explain to which part of this that I've misread

The Seleucids wrote:you know why Assad attacks cities? He's forced to becouse those coward FSA scumbags hide in those cities and refuse to meet Assad in a fair fight.
seems pretty clear cut to me, bruh.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:Obviously you did not read my post, or you simply lack the knowledge of seeing the point that was made with it.
Ok explain to which part of this that I've misread

The Seleucids wrote:you know why Assad attacks cities? He's forced to becouse those coward FSA scumbags hide in those cities and refuse to meet Assad in a fair fight.
seems pretty clear cut to me, bruh.

The whole part.
That part is indeed pretty tight, and true.

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Don't reply to him, he doesn't give a shit about anyone except his great Turkeyland which is allowed to screw over other nations for the sake of the Ottoman restoration by Sultan Erdogan.

Hey, you started to complain about civillian deaths, i only pointed out that the full blame for that lies with the FSA who hides behind these people. A simular case is often seen at the Gaza Strip you know.

Actually it doesn't since Turkey won't benefit at all from that chaos.

What I mean is that, since Erdogan has ruled out any intervention in Syria except against Assad as well, that, he could intervene in Syria when the time is "right", and could essentially make a vassal in at least part of Syria.

Meh, i highly doubt it. Turkey depends alot on Iranian trade, especially gas. Its not likely that Turkey would risk such bold move, though you never know with Sultan Erdogan in power, i give you that one.

Gezi Park wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:

1) I didn't refer to all Kurds the same way people don't refer to all Muslims when they mention Islamic terrorism. I look at Kobani and I don't see anyone except a bunch of Kurdish terrorist militants whom I have no reason to give a single fuck about.
2) What was uncivilized about my post? isn't the Middle East like a hellhole at the moment? and yes, Erdogan is a big reason for that. Many people are suffering out there because of him supporting all these Islamic terrorists, which he will definitely be judged for. And we'll put an end to this by getting our hands off the region and focusing on some other stuff once we get rid of him.

1) Okay, good to know, Though i wouldn't consider those at Kobane terrorists... They are protecting their land from IS. If those at Kobane are terrorists then you can all armed groups and armed countries terrorists.
2)I was referring to some past posts though it doesn't matter i guess. Lets just hope that you succeed in that before he's actually going to refer to himself as Sultan ;)

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:09 pm

The Seleucids wrote:The whole part.
"The whole part, except that part, and the only part, really, but otherwise the whole part"
gg bro the SAA should put you in charge of operations in aleppo, you'd clear it out in a week. Clear it of the SAA, that is.
Last edited by Kubra on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:The whole part.
"The whole part, except that part, and the only part, really, but otherwise the whole part"
gg bro the SAA should put you in charge of operations in aleppo, you'd clear it out in a week. Clear it of the SAA, that is.

You are clearly not getting anything, i'd see a shrink if i where you, just in case.
You're talking about warfare, yet the part you quoted did not say anything about warfare at all. You're just making shit up to troll around a bit.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:22 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Kubra wrote: "The whole part, except that part, and the only part, really, but otherwise the whole part"

You are clearly not getting anything, i'd see a shrink if i where you, just in case.
You're talking about warfare, yet the part you quoted did not say anything about warfare at all. You're just making shit up to troll around a bit.
gg bro i've been shown the light, apparently urban warfare has nothing to do with warfare
bro are you even trying
Comrade J. Posadas

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
gg bro i've been shown the light, apparently urban warfare has nothing to do with warfare
bro are you even trying

Please show me, where did i said anything about warfare when i talked about the FSA being scumbags in the cities.

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Gezi Park wrote:
Arkotania wrote:

The crescent and star were used by tengriist/shamanist Turks and represented the Sky God (Tengri). When the Ottoman Empire which had its roots in a Central Asian tribe designated such a flag, Arab nations also began to use it later on and it eventually turned into sort of a represenative symbol for Islam. It's originally a Turkic pagan symbol. Of course, it might have been used by some other civilizations but the reason why it's associated with Islam is because Turks accidentally incorporated their shamanic symbol into the religion.

The star and crescent symbol only became associated with Islam in the mid 20th century, following its in the national flags of various successor states of the Ottoman Empire.[1] By the 1970s, this symbolism was embraced by movements of Arab nationalism or Islamism, such as the proposed Arab Islamic Republic (1974) and the American Nation of Islam (1973)

Isn't it because Allah was the moon god in Arabic Polytheism until Muhammad declared him the one and only, much like how the jews declared Yahweh (who was the war god, I think) to be the one and only true god from Canaan's paganism?
NSG's NEW (un)official resident survivalist/doomsday prepper - BURY YOUR SILVER!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:30 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Kubra wrote:gg bro i've been shown the light, apparently urban warfare has nothing to do with warfare
bro are you even trying

Please show me, where did i said anything about warfare when i talked about the FSA being scumbags in the cities.
you know that they're fighting a war in the cities, yeah?
Comrade J. Posadas

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
you know that they're fighting a war in the cities, yeah?

Yup.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:58 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Kubra wrote: you know that they're fighting a war in the cities, yeah?

Yup.
you know the FSA is part of the war, right? You're undoubtedly aware that they're in the city.

Your answer for why they might choose to hold cities is corwardice, despite cities regularly being made into battlefields for the last couple centuries.
Comrade J. Posadas

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Yup.
you know the FSA is part of the war, right? You're undoubtedly aware that they're in the city.

Your answer for why they might choose to hold cities is corwardice, despite cities regularly being made into battlefields for the last couple centuries.

Yes.
No.

Once again you fail to see the point, its not about being in the city, its about hiding between those civillians that didn't or couldn't leave. There's a difference between the two.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:16 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Kubra wrote: you know the FSA is part of the war, right? You're undoubtedly aware that they're in the city.

Yes.
No.

Once again you fail to see the point, its not about being in the city, its about hiding between those civillians that didn't or couldn't leave. There's a difference between the two.
Oh, so like every army that ever fought in a city ever, including the SAA? How exactly does one fight in a population centre without causing harm to the population?
Comrade J. Posadas

The Seleucids (Ancient)
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Seleucids (Ancient) » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Kubra wrote:
The Seleucids wrote:
Yes.
No.

Oh, so like every army that ever fought in a city ever, including the SAA? How exactly does one fight in a population centre without causing harm to the population?

*Sigh*
Once again, there's a difference between fighting in a city and hiding behind civillians.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:48 pm

The Seleucids wrote:
Kubra wrote: Oh, so like every army that ever fought in a city ever, including the SAA? How exactly does one fight in a population centre without causing harm to the population?

*Sigh*
Once again, there's a difference between fighting in a city and hiding behind civillians.
Unless the FSA is strapping babies to their chests to absorb shrapnel, there really isn't. Each side operating within an urban environment can only operate among civilians, can only operated on the assumption that it will harm civilians, but nonetheless decides that the civilian losses will be offset by the military gains of an operation.
Comrade J. Posadas

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General