NATION

PASSWORD

Your Opinion of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:I thought you were ignoring me because I managed to conveniently say things that contradicted you and couldn't be disproven.

No I am just ignoring you because you're an insufferable person and everytime we speak makes me want to bust my own kneecaps. My point still stands though, that you really have no idea what you're talking about.

What do you want sources for?

South East Europe
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:22 pm

There are some aspects of political correctness that are perfectly reasonable and acceptable:
Calling someone by their preferred name and pronouns.
Accepting that we all believe differently.
Rejecting bigotry against other beliefs.
Fighting so that dark-skinned people get the same rights as light-skinned people.
Recognizing that homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals.

And, there are also some aspects of political correctness that are bullshit:
Expecting people to agree with everything you say.
Banning private events because they offend the public.
Believing that you deserve money because your ancestors were oppressed.
Having an educational system that brings geniuses to the level of cognitive impaired or lazy students.
Labeled a traitor or a terrorist because you despise the government.

So, for me, political correctness is a system in which each case must be examined independently from other cases.
I'm a transgirl in her mid-twenties with multiple disabilities, my name is Maria and my pronouns are female ones.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Except an attempt to promote a culture of mutual respect, tolerance, and acknowledgement of it where respect and tolerance are lacking.

The way you use 'tolerance' is worthless newspeak. SJWs don't want tolerance, they want acceptance, and have repeatedly used force, dishonest manipulation, and McCarthyist methods on people to accept their favored groups.

I'm sorry, but could you back up those claims, please? Again, I'm not saying that people don't get out of hand--as I've stated recently, people can go overboard with anything, and often do--but I'm still not seeing a pattern here.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:55 pm

South East Europe wrote:There are some aspects of political correctness that are perfectly reasonable and acceptable:
Calling someone by their preferred name and pronouns.
Accepting that we all believe differently.
Rejecting bigotry against other beliefs.
Fighting so that dark-skinned people get the same rights as light-skinned people.
Recognizing that homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals.

And, there are also some aspects of political correctness that are bullshit:
Expecting people to agree with everything you say.

Agreed.

Banning private events because they offend the public.

Agreed.

Believing that you deserve money because your ancestors were oppressed.

Agreed, but that's not exactly the argument, which is far more complicated than what you're expressing. It's not so much a matter of deserving money for the oppression of one's ancestors, but of one's family deserving money for work done by one's ancestors that was never compensated, and one's family deserving some benefit from the infrastructure built by one's ancestors.

Having an educational system that brings geniuses to the level of cognitive impaired or lazy students.

Agreed.

Labeled a traitor or a terrorist because you despise the government.

That's not what most people think of as "political correctness', although it does certainly reflect a political orthodoxy.

So, for me, political correctness is a system in which each case must be examined independently from other cases.

Hit the nail on the head, there.

Hatsunia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2012

Postby Hatsunia » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm tired of PC (i.e. an excuse to be oversensitive) and anti-PC (i.e. an excuse to be bigoted).
Hatsunia | 初音国
The first sound of the future, the society of the future

MT/PMT (Cyberprep) | National Day: August 31 | Ignore NS stats/policies | More than an "anime meme nation" | Less waifu, more wi-fi
Wiki (complete) | Space (WIP) | Map | Capital | MEACU | Micronesia | Tropes | Anthem ♪ | Civ ♫ | Futuristic playlist ♬ | Why Japan needs upgrades

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:22 pm

Great Franconia and Verana wrote:I think that some people take it way too far, but some people who discount it entirely can be offensive. Like everything, there is a balance that must be struck

This. 100%.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Opinion?

Some to complain about when being criticized over issues.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:I mean, here in Dallas (and I know this is not representative of the population across the U.S.) people my generation and younger tend to use "nigga'" more often, which is its own word in our county culture down here. Among older black people and Latin Americans this is an issue of controversy though; although down here I haven't a black person use "nigger" to refer to another black person in friendly terms.
I'm beginning to think that Nigga =\= Nigger
Basically the word got reappropriated when it was altered.

As for the original slur if the person using the slur in the manner it was used and they are the very same race that they're insulting they're basically insulting themselves.

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:I thought you were ignoring me because I managed to conveniently say things that contradicted you and couldn't be disproven.

No I am just ignoring you because you're an insufferable person and everytime we speak makes me want to bust my own kneecaps. My point still stands though, that you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Actually you're kind of giving him ammo.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Political correctness is very much necessary. There are still people who preach views that would offend basic human dignity and deceny, and not only does it stigmatise minorities and relegate them as second-class citizens, its an obstacle to social progress and tolerance. Political correctness is the reason why Paula Deen and Phil Robertson were censured by the media, views that would otherwise have gone uncriticized.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Lankar Islands
Diplomat

Founded: May 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lankar Islands » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:30 am

Political correctness is to be used upon one's own careful judgement.

Being a bigot is not okay, neither is being a moral guardian.
Long time no see, peeps.
Malaysia boleh!
I am a Malaysian and I am of course, Muslim... But I am extremely secular. My political hero is Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and Benazir Bhutto.

Compass
Economic: -0.72
Social: -0.35

Female Muslim reporting for duty!

Ereria
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ereria » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:11 am

No political correctness is going to stop me from crack a joke or have fun with my friends. 2 of my very best friends as black and I always say nigga or something like that (Im turkish immigrant in Norway).
"Vatan savunmasında gereğinden fazla merhamet vatana ihanettir."
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Kılıç kınından çıkmadıkça it sürüsü dağılmaz.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:The way you use 'tolerance' is worthless newspeak. SJWs don't want tolerance, they want acceptance, and have repeatedly used force, dishonest manipulation, and McCarthyist methods on people to accept their favored groups.

I'm sorry, but could you back up those claims, please?

Which ones?

Senyosu
Senator

Founded: Mar 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Senyosu » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Hatsunia wrote:I'm tired of PC (i.e. an excuse to be oversensitive) and anti-PC (i.e. an excuse to be bigoted).

I agree with this statement completely.
Senyosu is under reconstruction, however, former tropes still apply

The State of Senyosu ― Senñosy-ül Jür

Your resident Frugal, Nationalistic, Quasi-Jingoist, Buddhist-Tengrist, North-East Asian, Technocratic, Democratic Khanate
anything u want me to be babe ;)

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
I'm sorry, but could you back up those claims, please?

Which ones?

Social Justice Workers have repeatedly used force.

Social Justice Workers have repeatedly used dishonest manipulation.

Social Justice Workers have repeatedly used McCarthyist methods.

Social Justice Workers have repeatedly done all of these things on people to accept their favored groups.

EDIT: While we're at it, give a working definition of 'repeatedly'.
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galactic Russian Empire
Attaché

Founded: Jul 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Galactic Russian Empire » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Tyranny imposed by society.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Galactic Russian Empire wrote:Tyranny imposed by society.

Which can be used to describe any system of social mores of any society at any time in history.

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:Which ones?

Social Justice Workers have repeatedly used force.[/url]
Hate speech laws, bans on holocaust denial and swastikas, and anti-discrimination laws all use force people to accept and not insult their favored groups, even those groups intend harm.
[url]Social Justice Workers have repeatedly used dishonest manipulation.

1. The Social Justice Brigade has often forced people to use terminology that makes their positions look good and enemy ideas look bad. For example, they have tried to suppress the use of the shorthand term 'illegal' to refer to illegal aliens in favor of the loaded term 'undocumented immigrant' by shaming people with the slur 'racist'. The fact that 'illegal' was used in this context before immigration from the southern border was restricted and that 'illegal' is the only shorthand available does not matter to them, because the fact 'illegal' clearly shows that what they did was prohibited by the government, whereas 'undocumented immigrant' implies that the fact that what did is illegal is a bureaucratic fuck up that needs to be fixed.
2. Sometimes, SJWs also try to mislead others by presenting partial data. A good example would be the standard narrative on the internment of the Japanese. The SJW try to claim that it was 'racist' by making a false comparison to the USG's treatment of Germans, Italians, Romanians, Hungarians, Bulgarians, and Finns. However, the SJWs neglect to mention that during the course of the war Japan shelled a oilfield in Santa Barbara, invaded and occupied US territory, tried twice to set off a forest fire in Oregon, and transported numerous bombs to the US via balloon.
3. They also flat out lie. One claim which they commonly repeat is that Nazi Germany hated everyone and everything not Western European and wanted them all gone. This is flat out bullshit. Nazi Germany only attempted to exterminate specific groups which it deemed strategically necessary to remove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling#Racial_remarks_and_lifetime_ban
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-fires-don-imus-over-racial-slur/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-fired-food-network-cancels-show-after-racism-scandal_n_3480517.html
http://pagesix.com/2013/11/26/msnbc-fires-alec-baldwin/

Frequently.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Hate speech laws, bans on holocaust denial and swastikas, and anti-discrimination laws all use force people to accept and not insult their favored groups, even those groups intend harm.

1. The Social Justice Brigade has often forced people to use terminology that makes their positions look good and enemy ideas look bad. For example, they have tried to suppress the use of the shorthand term 'illegal' to refer to illegal aliens in favor of the loaded term 'undocumented immigrant' by shaming people with the slur 'racist'. The fact that 'illegal' was used in this context before immigration from the southern border was restricted and that 'illegal' is the only shorthand available does not matter to them, because the fact 'illegal' clearly shows that what they did was prohibited by the government, whereas 'undocumented immigrant' implies that the fact that what did is illegal is a bureaucratic fuck up that needs to be fixed.

That's not dishonest manipulation. That's an open and honest attempt to change the language, though a less than successful one, as "illegal" is still the common vernacular, if not the official one.

2. Sometimes, SJWs also try to mislead others by presenting partial data. A good example would be the standard narrative on the internment of the Japanese. The SJW try to claim that it was 'racist' by making a false comparison to the USG's treatment of Germans, Italians, Romanians, Hungarians, Bulgarians, and Finns. However, the SJWs neglect to mention that during the course of the war Japan shelled a oilfield in Santa Barbara, invaded and occupied US territory, tried twice to set off a forest fire in Oregon, and transported numerous bombs to the US via balloon.

Right. Did Japanese Americans do this? No? Then it's irrelevant.

3. They also flat out lie. One claim which they commonly repeat is that Nazi Germany hated everyone and everything not Western European and wanted them all gone. This is flat out bullshit. Nazi Germany only attempted to exterminate specific groups which it deemed strategically necessary to remove.

Which social justice worker or workers stated this?

Oh. You don't know what McCarthyist methods are. Never mind, I assumed otherwise. Sterling not only said the racist comments, but a history of racist behavior came to light. Don Imus called a bunch of successful college athletes "Nappy-headed hos". I can understand the outcry. Paula Deen actually made racist comments. Alec Baldwin made homophobic comments, sure, but ALSO had horrible ratings. None of these people were unfairly persecuted. None were blackballed. None were subopenaed before Congress. None had to dig into their life savings to hire attorneys. None were sent to prison for refusing to name names. None had mildly dubious associations from decades before held against them. None were forced to do their work under pen names, or hire "fronts" in order to pursue their careers. None were driven into exile. All of them said racist or homophobic things (and in one case, couldn't draw viewers to begin with), and all paid a price for it in the public eye, thereby affecting their careers.

Frequently.

HOW frequently?
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The House of Xavier
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Xavier » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 pm

It has its pros and cons like everything else. I'm happy that it's generally frowned upon to run around calling people slurs. But I sometimes think it can be taken a bit far, especially when humor and/or satire is intended (I do not believe you can be funny without offending at least somebody).

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:49 pm

The House of Xavier wrote:It has its pros and cons like everything else. I'm happy that it's generally frowned upon to run around calling people slurs. But I sometimes think it can be taken a bit far, especially when humor and/or satire is intended (I do not believe you can be funny without offending at least somebody).

You can't even make a joke these days without rustling some jimmies.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Sheltopolis
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sheltopolis » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Divitaen wrote:Political correctness is very much necessary. There are still people who preach views that would offend basic human dignity and deceny, and not only does it stigmatise minorities and relegate them as second-class citizens, its an obstacle to social progress and tolerance. Political correctness is the reason why Paula Deen and Phil Robertson were censured by the media, views that would otherwise have gone uncriticized.

You do not define what is and isn't acceptable speech. No one has to cave in to any progress movement, and shouldn't be exiled from public view if they don't.
"Maybe it’s not the politicians who suck; maybe it’s something else. Like the public. That would be a nice realistic campaign slogan for somebody: “The public sucks. F*ck hope.” Put the blame where it belongs: on the people. Because if everything is really the fault of politicians, where are all the bright, honest, intelligent Americans who are ready to step in and replace them? Truth is, we don’t have people like that. Everyone’s at the mall, scratching his balls and buying sneakers with lights in them."
-George Carlin

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:
Divitaen wrote:Political correctness is very much necessary. There are still people who preach views that would offend basic human dignity and deceny, and not only does it stigmatise minorities and relegate them as second-class citizens, its an obstacle to social progress and tolerance. Political correctness is the reason why Paula Deen and Phil Robertson were censured by the media, views that would otherwise have gone uncriticized.

You do not define what is and isn't acceptable speech. No one has to cave in to any progress movement, and shouldn't be exiled from public view if they don't.

It is the moral duty of everyone to act to promote the wellbeing of others. Intolerant individuals who act to make others suffer based on their prejudices must be corrected for their actions. I sincerely doubt that you honestly believe people should not be judged for the statements they make, unless you are about to propose that people taking offense to someone shouting "death to the Jews" are just being ridiculous.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling#Racial_remarks_and_lifetime_ban
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-fires-don-imus-over-racial-slur/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-fired-food-network-cancels-show-after-racism-scandal_n_3480517.html
http://pagesix.com/2013/11/26/msnbc-fires-alec-baldwin/

Frequently.

1. The point of contention is that they're referred to simply as illegals rather than illegal immigrants. While "illegal immigrant" is factually incorrect (on a technical, pedantic level), simply calling them "illegals" dehumanizes them and makes them into an "other".
2. I don't know which to address, the fact that you're trying to justify the unreasonable internment of American citizens based on their race or the fact that your attempted justification comes from the fact that a nation we were at war with happened to commit acts of war.
3. Nazi German wanted to exterminate the Jews, Romani/Gypsies, gays, and disabled for strategic reasons? Do tell.
4. See, with McCarthyism people were usually falsely accused of having non-hateful political views, were then called traitors to America, and were occasionally deported/driven out of the country by the government, while with social justice people are accurately accused of having hateful views, are called out on these hateful views, and are often chastised by their own peers or employers (as is the right of their peers and employers as American citizens) rather than the government.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 pm

Sheltopolis wrote:

Even if the speech you express is inherently dehumanising and a call to reduce a whole section of the population to second-class citizenry? There is subjective progress where we can agree to disagree, but there's also equality, tolerance and basic human decency.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

Socialist Czechia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Czechia » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:14 am

Can't we just all agree that Political Correctness is kinda shadowy, totalitarian indirect way, how limit opposition and indirectly control what people say and what they think?

When only one party controlled my fatherland, people knew that party limits their opinions. Now, with so called 'democracy', they are allowed to have own voice, on paper, but if you dare to say something a little more different in any way, your life is quickly harder, and you can quickly even end in jail for 'discrimination', 'racism' or 'insults'.

This 'Indirect way' is very efficient to control population, without permanent danger of coup or revolution.
"Those who reached my boundary, their seed is not; their hearts and their souls are finished forever and ever. As for those who had assembled before them on the sea, the full flame was their front before the harbour mouths, and a wall of metal upon the shore surrounded them. They were dragged, overturned, and laid low upon the beach; slain and made heaps from stern to bow of their galleys, while all their things were cast upon the water." - Ramesses III., Battle of the Delta

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General