NATION

PASSWORD

Your Opinion of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:51 am

Ucropi wrote:
Juristonia wrote:
So for the fourth time, you don't know what political correctness actually is, despite the fact that multiple people have tried to explain it to you, and will just keep regurgitating the same flawed arguments.
I think I'm about done here.

You keep telling me I don't know what it is yet you've not given a definition while I have. So what is it?

Encouraging someone to avoid offensive actions and/or phrases is not censorship, which is what you're alleging.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Ucropi wrote:You keep telling me I don't know what it is yet you've not given a definition while I have. So what is it?

the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

OR

demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental

So exactly the definition that i've posted multiple times, now maybe though Juristonia could be a big boy and answer.
Go home America, my country already has freedom
Things I Like:
Communism, Equality, Science, Art

Things I Hate:
Capitalism, America, Religion

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 am

Caninope wrote:
Ucropi wrote:You keep telling me I don't know what it is yet you've not given a definition while I have. So what is it?

Encouraging someone to avoid offensive actions and/or phrases is not censorship, which is what you're alleging.

What I am alleging has nothing to do with the definition I have posted multiple times.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 am

Ucropi wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

OR

demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental

So exactly the definition that i've posted multiple times, now maybe though Juristonia could be a big boy and answer.

No, this definition is nothing like what you've been saying it is because political correctness is not censorship.
Yes.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Ucropi wrote:So exactly the definition that i've posted multiple times, now maybe though Juristonia could be a big boy and answer.

No, this definition is nothing like what you've been saying it is because political correctness is not censorship.

Um no. The definition I have posted mulitple times(seriously go back a few pages) was taken directly off of google.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 am

Ucropi wrote:
Caninope wrote:Encouraging someone to avoid offensive actions and/or phrases is not censorship, which is what you're alleging.

What I am alleging has nothing to do with the definition I have posted multiple times.

Actually, it looks to me like you're trying to play a semantics game and moving the goalposts.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 am

Ucropi wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:No, this definition is nothing like what you've been saying it is because political correctness is not censorship.

Um no. The definition I have posted mulitple times(seriously go back a few pages) was taken directly off of google.

Yes.

Avoiding offensive behavior that marginalizes =/= censorship
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 am

Ucropi wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:No, this definition is nothing like what you've been saying it is because political correctness is not censorship.

So then why did you just insist that political correctness was censorship? I have the quote right here:

Ucropi wrote:Political Correctness is censorship.
Yes.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 am

Caninope wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Um no. The definition I have posted mulitple times(seriously go back a few pages) was taken directly off of google.

Yes.

Clearly what I wrote. Caught me.

Ucropi wrote:As per Google
Google wrote:po·lit·i·cal cor·rect·ness
noun
the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Um no. The definition I have posted mulitple times(seriously go back a few pages) was taken directly off of google.

So then why did you just insist that political correctness was censorship? I have the quote right here:

Ucropi wrote:Political Correctness is censorship.

It is literally telling you there are words you cannot say. Are you telling me I'm wrong?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

Ucropi wrote:
Caninope wrote:Yes.

Considering you used the definition to justify this here:

Ucropi wrote:Political Correctness is exactly that! You are telling them what they can and cannot say.

You don't seem to have a good grasp on what the definition means.
Yes.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Layarteb wrote:It's intolerably insufferable and it needs to go the way of the dinosaur in a similarly cataclysmic end. It is an enemy to any freedom of speech or thought and it has become a tool for oppression and double standard.

Pretty much this. Plus, it's heavily used here in NSG to stifle opposing views, which I find incredibly abhorrent in a forum that supposedly revolves around free expression of opinions. I particularly despise the use of PC in mob posting, where a thundering waterfall of posts descends on anyone who opposes the "correct" truth.

Yeah, those people who want to post bigoted, hateful opinions are so oppressed. It's like a violation of their human rights.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

Ucropi wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:So then why did you just insist that political correctness was censorship? I have the quote right here:

It is literally telling you there are words you cannot say. Are you telling me I'm wrong?

Yes.
Yes.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:02 am

Ucropi wrote:
Caninope wrote:Yes.

That is your definition of political correctness, yes. You have also claimed that political correctness is censorship, here. The definition you posted is not the definition of censorship.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

Ucropi wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:So then why did you just insist that political correctness was censorship? I have the quote right here:

No, it is literally telling you words you should not say. Modal verbs are important.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

The Re-Frisivisiaing wrote:
54e wrote:Wait, literally?

Political correctness is retarded. Is that not okay?

That's awful edgy there.

He must be the coolest kid in the whole school.
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

Keyboard Warriors wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Clearly what I wrote. Caught me.

Considering you used the definition to justify this here:

Ucropi wrote:Political Correctness is exactly that! You are telling them what they can and cannot say.

You don't seem to have a good grasp on what the definition means.
Political Correctness is avoiding offensive behavour etc. Right?
The act of impossing PC on people is what causes censorship. How is this hard to follow?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:06 am

Merizoc wrote:
Viritica wrote:Well, I like to think I have the right to defend myself from criticism.

Of course you do. And people have the right to call other people "assholes" when they're racist, sexist, or whatever.

And I'm neither racist or sexist.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:06 am

Guys, guys, I'm now offended by the term "citizen". From now I want to be referred to as a US documented worker.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am

Caninope wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:
Well fuck morals.

Because the way to live a happy and social life is to just utterly reject the moral and ethical codes of a society, amirite or amirite?

Is it really so hard to show someone just a little respect by saying, "Oh, I'm sorry. I won't call you by <insert slur here> anymore because I know that it offends you," ?

I share your bafflement on this.

I don't get people insisting on calling people things that they know offend them. If I'm informed that calling someone [slur] offends them, it costs me nothing to avoid using that slur.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am

Viritica wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Of course you do. And people have the right to call other people "assholes" when they're racist, sexist, or whatever.

And I'm neither racist or sexist.

I'm a little confused with what "having the right to call people "assholes"" has to do with anything?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am

Viritica wrote:Guys, guys, I'm now offended by the term "citizen". From now I want to be referred to as a US documented worker.

Which we aren't going to do. Feel free to call us assholes for declining your request though.
Yes.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am

Ucropi wrote:The act of impossing PC on people is what causes censorship. How is this hard to follow?

No one is imposing anything. You're free to ignore the people telling you to not say offensive stuff.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am

The Batorys wrote:
Caninope wrote:Because the way to live a happy and social life is to just utterly reject the moral and ethical codes of a society, amirite or amirite?

Is it really so hard to show someone just a little respect by saying, "Oh, I'm sorry. I won't call you by <insert slur here> anymore because I know that it offends you," ?

I share your bafflement on this.

I don't get people insisting on calling people things that they know offend them. If I'm informed that calling someone [slur] offends them, it costs me nothing to avoid using that slur.

No one is arguing for the use of slurs, we just don't want to be told what we can or cannot say even if we wouldn't say it anyways.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am

Ucropi wrote:
Viritica wrote:And I'm neither racist or sexist.

I'm a little confused with what "having the right to call people "assholes"" has to do with anything?

I'm not too sure.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General