NATION

PASSWORD

Religion Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Scriptures be seen as true no matter what?

Yes
17%
No
62%
I don't know
6%
Maybe
15%

Total votes : 204

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Murkwood's reciting of the Avestas was the first reciting I've ever heard. And the best, given the circumstances. I was laughing so hard.

Hey, it's you!

That's was quite a fun thread. And it gave me an excuse to re-read the Avesta.

Hey Murkwood!
And yeah, the hilarity of that thread....
Do you plan on reading anything about other religions (holy books, etc), anytime soon?
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Hey, it's you!

That's was quite a fun thread. And it gave me an excuse to re-read the Avesta.

Hey Murkwood!
Do you plan on reading anything about other religions (holy books, etc), anytime soon?

I recently picked up the Tripiṭaka (Buddhism). It's hard slogging, but it has some good stuff.

One of my Hindu friends let me borrow his copy of the Vedas, so that'll probably be next.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Bearon wrote:

Fiction is my favorite genre of literature.

Are you trying to equate religion with fiction? If so, that's extremely offensive.

Not religion, the texts.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Othelos wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Are you trying to equate religion with fiction? If so, that's extremely offensive.

Not religion, the texts.

That's still somewhat offensive to believers.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Othelos wrote:Not religion, the texts.

That's still somewhat offensive to believers.

Well, they can't all be nonfiction.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Hey Murkwood!

I recently picked up the Tripiṭaka (Buddhism). It's hard slogging, but it has some good stuff.

One of my Hindu friends let me borrow his copy of the Vedas, so that'll probably be next.

One of my history teachers had an entire copy of the Gitas/Other Hindu texts.
Never got around to reading them.
She had like....7 books in the series.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:I recently picked up the Tripiṭaka (Buddhism). It's hard slogging, but it has some good stuff.

One of my history teachers had an entire copy of the Gitas/Other Hindu texts.

Was she a Hindu, or was it an intellectual pursuit?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Othelos wrote:
Murkwood wrote:That's still somewhat offensive to believers.

Given that fiction is subjective it shouldn't be offensive to people at all. Ergo problem solved, and nobody wins.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Othelos wrote:
Murkwood wrote:That's still somewhat offensive to believers.

You know, you're right. :p

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Benuty wrote:
Othelos wrote:Well, they can't all be nonfiction.

Given that fiction is subjective it shouldn't be offensive to people at all. Ergo problem solved, and nobody wins.

This. Reality as it is could be considered fictional as there's no way to tell if this whole thing is the imagination of a 7 year old boy faced with an impossible choice.
Last edited by Bearon on Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:One of my history teachers had an entire copy of the Gitas/Other Hindu texts.

Was she a Hindu, or was it an intellectual pursuit?

Intellectual pursuit.
We spent alot of time studying India. Really interesting place. I hope to visit one day.
I think as of now, Cyrus the Great and Ashoka the Great are my two ideal monarchs.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Was she a Hindu, or was it an intellectual pursuit?

Intellectual pursuit.
We spent alot of time studying India. Really interesting place. I hope to visit one day.
I think as of now, Cyrus the Great and Ashoka the Great are my two ideal monarchs.

Cyrus and Ashoka were pretty great rulers.

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Tony the Tiger: They're great!

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Intellectual pursuit.

Cyrus and Ashoka were pretty great rulers.

Alas, they seem to be but two beacons of light in a sea of dirt.
Actually, I'm thinking of making a History discussion thread aswell, but, I digress.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Cyrus and Ashoka were pretty great rulers.

Actually, I'm thinking of making a History discussion thread aswell, but, I digress.

I think that might be too broad of a topic.

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Alas, they seem to be but two beacons of light in a sea of dirt.

I think that might be too broad of a topic.

You should probably make a history thread about a specific time period. Like the Punic Wars!

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Cyrus and Ashoka were pretty great rulers.

Actually, this is random, but I have a question. Are you actually a Zoroastrian?

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Alas, they seem to be but two beacons of light in a sea of dirt.

Actually, this is random, but I have a question. Are you actually a Zoroastrian?

Depends on what you mean by "actually". The nearest thing that could actually get me officially converted is either in London, Paris, LA, or Arizona.
I've read up on it, I'd like to follow it. I just hope that it works out if I go to a place like that.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Actually, this is random, but I have a question. Are you actually a Zoroastrian?

Depends on what you mean by "actually". The nearest thing that could actually get me officially converted is either in London, Paris, LA, or Arizona.
I've read up on it, I'd like to follow it. I just hope that it works out if I go to a place like that.

It's just that there are so few left.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Depends on what you mean by "actually". The nearest thing that could actually get me officially converted is either in London, Paris, LA, or Arizona.

It's just that there are so few left.

Well, hey, 1 converts gonna help. Its REALLY detrimental that some Zoroastrians are against converts, given the religions size.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Cyrisnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:It's just that there are so few left.

Well, hey, 1 converts gonna help. Its REALLY detrimental that some Zoroastrians are against converts, given the religions size.

It's like they want the religion to die with them.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Well, hey, 1 converts gonna help. Its REALLY detrimental that some Zoroastrians are against converts, given the religions size.

Kind of. Very, very unfortunate.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Cyrisnia wrote:Well, hey, 1 converts gonna help. Its REALLY detrimental that some Zoroastrians are against converts, given the religions size.

Well I bet their afterlife is very roomy while Heaven is bursting at the seams.

South Pacific Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Republic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Lalaki wrote:
1) Could you rephrase that? Using that sentence structure, I could also say that there are atheists who are hostile the the religious (as seen in "communist" regimes).
2)

Richard Dawkins is an author of the "New Atheist" variety.

What I find troubling about "New Atheism" is that it promotes intolerance. We need to let people live as they want to live, as long as they do not hurt others. New Atheism is focused on countering religion at all costs, even if its practice does not hurt others. I cannot reconcile this with my belief in diversity and tolerance.

I said that such groups exist in religious populations so I fail to understand why you brought up the original point.

2. As far as I have read and heard Richard Dawkins does not promote intolerance. New Atheism as you call counters religion because religions tend to interfere with the daily lives of others. because most religious people at least when talking in relation to their god refuse to use critical thinking. Due to religious people's dogmatic aproach we had bush refuse to fund stem-cell research, research that could save or cure many diseases. We have people who refuse to believe in climate change and evolution, we have people who actively campaign for putting religion i schools, we have people who support faith healing at the expense of those who are sick, we have those who use the prosperity gospel, etc. What practices would you give as an example that is not harmful that Dawkins has specifically campaigned against.

All Richard Dawkins promotes is intolerance

Cyrisnia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 pm

South Pacific Republic wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
I said that such groups exist in religious populations so I fail to understand why you brought up the original point.

2. As far as I have read and heard Richard Dawkins does not promote intolerance. New Atheism as you call counters religion because religions tend to interfere with the daily lives of others. because most religious people at least when talking in relation to their god refuse to use critical thinking. Due to religious people's dogmatic aproach we had bush refuse to fund stem-cell research, research that could save or cure many diseases. We have people who refuse to believe in climate change and evolution, we have people who actively campaign for putting religion i schools, we have people who support faith healing at the expense of those who are sick, we have those who use the prosperity gospel, etc. What practices would you give as an example that is not harmful that Dawkins has specifically campaigned against.

All Richard Dawkins promotes is intolerance

Any sources? :p
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General