NATION

PASSWORD

Surge 2014: A debate on Illegal Immigration and US Policies.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am

I once had an eccentric friend of mine argue that the solution to illegal immigration would simply be for each state to enforce serfdom.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Othelos wrote:
I'm not sure what you're thinking, but legal immigration to the US is pretty difficult. You can't just show up here.

And that's another problem. It's difficult to come to the US, even with a PhD. You have to jump through a lot of hoops.

...obviously. No one wants to bring all the poor people into the country and give them money.

I seem to recall Sibirsky saying that it would take a manual worker with little or no education 149 years to go through the legal immigration process.

Infinity. The way the DHS handles immigration cases is mysterious. They can just say they lost your files and you'd have to do your application process all over again. I'd rather have the DoJ handle it, considering they're the ones that does immigration reviews.

Farnhamia wrote:Right, so imagine you're ... what's the Latin American idiom for "Tom, Dick or Harry"? The US just isn't that welcoming anymore.

It isn't it's not welcoming. It's just the DHS is incompetent.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:06 am

Norstal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I seem to recall Sibirsky saying that it would take a manual worker with little or no education 149 years to go through the legal immigration process.

Infinity. The way the DHS handles immigration cases is mysterious. They can just say they lost your files and you'd have to do your application process all over again. I'd rather have the DoJ handle it, considering they're the ones that does immigration reviews.

Farnhamia wrote:Right, so imagine you're ... what's the Latin American idiom for "Tom, Dick or Harry"? The US just isn't that welcoming anymore.

It isn't it's not welcoming. It's just the DHS is incompetent.

The whole process is a mystery even for immigration attorneys; and well, that really shouldn't be happening.

I think the best way to go about is simplify the whole process and make clear and concise requirements for each type of visa AND make the DHS more efficient at what they do.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 am

Arkinesia wrote:
The 502nd SS wrote:Umm since when was our motto "durr white people are da best."?

I'm talking about Libertarian California, who has made no bones about his belief that the US is a country for white men.

Which is bullshit. His family wouldn't even be where they are now if not for Chinese labor.

The what the hell?

I don't think Chinese people built The Welcome.

Nor do I think Chinese people existed anywhere in America in 1682.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:I'm talking about Libertarian California, who has made no bones about his belief that the US is a country for white men.

Which is bullshit. His family wouldn't even be where they are now if not for Chinese labor.

The one time this was attempted to cater to white people, They lost. Their name? The Confederate States of America.

:palm:

You seem to be ignoring the United States government until the mid-20th century.

Hell, start with the 1790 Naturalization Act. It's pretty specific who could become an American.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am

Libertarian California wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:I'm talking about Libertarian California, who has made no bones about his belief that the US is a country for white men.

The what the hell?

:rofl:

Chinese immigrants among other immigrants worked in the railroads, which improved how goods were transported from state to state and it was the blueprint FDR took for the Interstate Highway System.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:The one time this was attempted to cater to white people, They lost. Their name? The Confederate States of America.

You seem to be ignoring the United States government until the mid-20th century.

Hell, start with the 1790 Naturalization Act. It's pretty specific who could become an American.

Which was repealed when? And why is it so important that it has to be brought up in a discussion about 2014?
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 am

The what the hell?

Chinese immigrants among other immigrants worked in the railroads, which improved how goods were transported from state to state and it was the blueprint FDR took for the Interstate Highway System.

They worked on half a railroad. The other half which was built by Irishmen.

And no. Eisenhower got the idea for the Interstate from the German Autobahn.

Nonetheless, what does this have to do with what I said?
Last edited by Libertarian California on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:15 am

Which was repealed when?

The spirit of its message remained ingrained in American politics until 1965.

It was part of this country for the majority of its history, and the people who did away with it told us our ethnic makeup would not change.
Last edited by Libertarian California on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 am

Which was repealed when?

It was part of this country for the majority of its history, and the people who did away with it told us our ethnic makeup would not change.

So you're scared that white people will be wiped out of the face of America? Is that it?

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 am

So you're scared that white people will be wiped out of the face of America? Is that it?

No. It is that we will be reduced to a minority in the country that our ancestors founded, which will occur by 2042.

Also, there is the plethora of negative consequences of having a large third world population in America.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 am

No. It is that we will be reduced to a minority in the country that our ancestors founded, which will occur by 2042.

Also, there is the plethora of negative consequences of having a large third world population in America.

“Majority world” is a rapidly-dying concept.

Bill Gates is way ahead of the curve, but he's also right in predicting that by 2030, Africa will mostly be middle-income, and will still be the poorest continent on the planet. But living standards will have improved so much worldwide by that point that Africa's middle-income status will be the new poor. But it won't be poverty.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 am

Which was repealed when?

See: 14th amendment, Naturalization Law of 1802, Naturalization Act of 1870, U.S. vs Wong Kim Ark's effects, Indian Citizenship Act of 1924 and Immigration and Nationality act of 1952.

All of those changed the makeup of who could become a citizen. I am not sure why are you suddenly thinking that until 1965 only "free white immigrants" ever had an exclusive right to citizenship until 1965.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 am

See: 14th amendment, Naturalization Law of 1802, Naturalization Act of 1870, U.S. vs Wong Kim Ark's effects, Indian Citizenship Act of 1924 and Immigration and Nationality act of 1952.

All of those changed the makeup of who could become a citizen. I am not sure why are you suddenly thinking that until 1965 only "free white immigrants" ever had an exclusive right to citizenship until 1965.

He is correct that the strict letter of the law stated “free white men” were the only legal immigrants until 1965.

But plenty of non-white immigrants were legally admitted anyway.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 am

And is being a minority so fucking painful for you that you can't live with the realization?

I mean fuck, if it wouldn't have been us it'd have been blacks and then what? miscegenation or genocide?

I can just imagine your logic then "Oh no! Blacks are becoming the new majority! Let's kill all them Negroes".
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 am

They worked on half a railroad. The other half which was built by Irishmen.

And no. Eisenhower got the idea for the Interstate from the German Autobahn.

Nonetheless, what does this have to do with what I said?

Most of the Southern railroads were built by blacks. So you're at best half-right.

You're right about the autobahns, though. Gee, I can't think of any other German transport networks we could use as a model for a similar, new American transport network…

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 am

Which was repealed when? And why is it so important that it has to be brought up in a discussion about 2014?

Any prior bad act automatically invalidates ... well, just about anything a person or a country might have done since.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am

See the 1924 immigration quotas which only let Europeans immigrate into the United States. It was designed to give America a majority white population, because in 1960, the United States was 90% white.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:50 am

See the 1924 immigration quotas which only let Europeans immigrate into the United States. It was designed to give America a majority white population, because in 1960, the United States was 90% white.

And the quotas are quite frankly bullshit. It doesn't do anything other than stifle immigration because of its ridiculously low numbers.

The quota system is working under the assumption that 1910 is 2014.

Canaore
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Canaore » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 am

Libertarian California wrote:See the 1924 immigration quotas which only let Europeans immigrate into the United States. It was designed to give America a majority white population, because in 1960, the United States was 90% white.

In case you haven't noticed, Europe's improved quite substantially since 1924, so their drive to immigrate to America is not as high as it once was. Either way, I like how you brand well-estabilished American values as high-minded utopianism yet you keep on insisting the US, as a state, has an ethnic identity. You're really into pick and choose bullshit, aren't you?
Last edited by Canaore on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
— The Alliance of Canaore —

“Libertas, Justitia, Veritas”

Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08
I'm a center-rightist.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Any prior bad act automatically invalidates ... well, just about anything a person or a country might have done since.

Well shit, that means my life is utterly meaningless since I was in high school and got a ticket for jaywalking I guess.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Canaore wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:See the 1924 immigration quotas which only let Europeans immigrate into the United States. It was designed to give America a majority white population, because in 1960, the United States was 90% white.

In case you haven't noticed, Europe's improved quite substantially since 1924, so their drive to immigrate to America is not as high as it once was. Either way, I like how you brand well-estabilished American values as high-minded utopianism yet you keep on insisting the US, as a state, has an ethnic identity. You're really into pick and choose bullshit, aren't you?

It's not high-minded utopianism given that it actually happened...
Last edited by Libertarian California on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American nationalist

(Add 2137 posts)

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Canaore wrote:

I wouldn't call blatant racialism a goal we would want to achieve.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

I wouldn't call blatant racialism a goal we would want to achieve.

B-but muh white nationalism! :(

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:I wouldn't call blatant racialism a goal we would want to achieve.

B-but muh white nationalism! :(

It didn't work well for the Germans my friend and white nationalism is DOA
Last edited by Gig em Aggies on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General