NATION

PASSWORD

Do you support Turkey joining the EU?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should Turkey join the EU?

Yes, but only if they make significant progress in the things listed in the post/other things
43%
Yes, immediately
14%
No, they should have closer relations but not full EU membership
16%
No, never
26%

Total votes : 173

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Do you support Turkey joining the EU?

Postby Atlanticatia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Turkey:
Population- 76.6 million
GDP(PPP)- $1.426 trillion
GDP(PPP) per capita- $19,080
Gini coefficient- 40.2
HDI- 0.722 (ranked #90)

For more info on Turkey's accession to the EU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_ ... pean_Union

I don't support EU membership for Turkey at the moment. I think that membership contingent on many thorough changes would be applicable:
a) HDI needs to reach at least .8 so it is considered apart of "Very High Human Development"
b) Establishing a welfare state and universal health care system
c) Ending human rights abuses - especially more rights for LGBT people
d) Cleaning up corruption
e) Fulfilment of all EU requirements (which it has already laid out)
f) Reaffirm its commitment to the West, general secularism, and a corruption-free society
g) Reduce inequality

Overall, Turkey could definitely be a viable country for EU membership because of its strong economy, sheer size, etc.
However, it needs to do significant work in order to bring itself up to EU standards, have a better respect for human rights, have a European social policy, and better align itself with other EU member states.

One issue that there may be with Turkey is its border countries, and Turkey current places a decent block between unstable countries and the EU. So that's one thing to consider.

I think Turkey could be a viable member, but right now it is far from being considerable.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:59 pm

At the moment? No. Thanks to Erdogan, Turkey is becoming less and less democratic, and the Turkish government is singnificantly curtailing the political and civil rights of it's people. Until all of this changes, the EU shouldn't let Turkey join. I do wish for Turkey to join the EU one day, but the EU shouldn't allow it to join now, given the state of the nation.
Last edited by The Scientific States on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm

The EU should kick some nations out rather than trying to add more.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Should I add a poll?

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:Should I add a poll?

I think it'd be a good idea.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Libertarian California wrote:The EU should kick some nations out rather than trying to add more.

Nations such as...?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Libertarian California wrote:The EU should kick some nations out rather than trying to add more.

I support most EU members, however I'm not 100% sure if Romania and Bulgaria were ready for membership.

Koopaland
Secretary

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Koopaland » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Considering that the EU is a worthless organization of liberal welfare states, I say that Turkey should be better than joining an organization and stay independent.

Jamjai
Minister

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamjai » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:05 pm

I think they should rather join the customs union than the EU

or something with Middle East
Last edited by Jamjai on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RP: 34 million

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Koopaland wrote:Considering that the EU is a worthless organization of liberal welfare states, I say that Turkey should be better than joining an organization and stay independent.

A worthless organization of liberal welfare states? The EU is one of the most influential organizations in the world, that has a huge, positive influence on global affairs. The EU is also a organization committed to human rights and the expansion of democracy, and yet you label it as a worthless organization of liberal welfare states.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Mefpan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mefpan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Your list forgot the removal of the illegal occupation of this little strip of land on Cyprus. Increased minority rights and finally owning up and admitting that Turkey or the state it is the successor of was not necessarily very nice to the Armenians.

Then we'll talk.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you want to play a game of chess?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
Yeah, Screw Realism!
Loyal Planet of Mankind

Nansurium
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 pm

From a purely economic standpoint, Turkey has more reason to join the EU then several of the current members. Also, you should not deny them membership just because of the problems you have with the current government. Over the long term, Turkey is going to play an increasingly prominent economic and security role. It will be what one would call a regional power.
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

Global and Comparative Studies Major at Birmingham-Southern College

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Added a poll.

I think that closer relations economy-wise is good, but anything beyond that isn't really worth it, at least not for a long time.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Nansurium wrote:From a purely economic standpoint, Turkey has more reason to join the EU then several of the current members. Also, you should not deny them membership just because of the problems you have with the current government. Over the long term, Turkey is going to play an increasingly prominent economic and security role. It will be what one would call a regional power.

The EU should deny them membership because of the authoritarian, corrupt government in power. The EU is a organization committed to democracy and human rights, and until Turkey shows that they are committed to the same ideals, they shouldn't be allowed to join.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:09 pm

Nansurium wrote:From a purely economic standpoint, Turkey has more reason to join the EU then several of the current members. Also, you should not deny them membership just because of the problems you have with the current government. Over the long term, Turkey is going to play an increasingly prominent economic and security role. It will be what one would call a regional power.

I agree, though couldn't Turkey be considered a regional power already?
Insert trite farewell here

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:10 pm

The Scientific States wrote:

The EU should deny them membership because of the authoritarian, corrupt government in power. The EU is a organization committed to democracy and human rights, and until Turkey shows that they are committed to the same ideals, they shouldn't be allowed to join.

^ Exactly.

The EU is much more than an economic community - it is an association of states committed to human rights, social development, a common culture, etc

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Is it unreasonable to assume that being a member of the EU might have a liberalizing effect on Turkey?
Insert trite farewell here

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:10 pm

It needs to sort out it's problems with authoritarianism, but otherwise I'm in support.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:11 pm

Nations such as...?

Preferably, all of them, as I don't believe the EU should exist in the first place.

But if I had to choose:

Spain, Greece, Portugal, Croatia, Slovakia, and Bulgaria.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:11 pm

Koopaland wrote:Considering that the EU is a worthless organization of liberal welfare states, I say that Turkey should be better than joining an organization and stay independent.

:rofl: Ah yes. I forgot how the EU doesn't do anything.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Libertarian California wrote:
Nations such as...?

Preferably, all of them, as I don't believe the EU should exist in the first place.

But if I had to choose:

Not likely that's going to happen.

Bolkania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolkania » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Libertarian California wrote:
Nations such as...?

But if I had to choose:

Isn't Croatia the newest nation?

I wish my nation gets kicked out (Bulgaria). Our living standards where better before 2007.

Nansurium
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

I think that this is a very short-sighted position to take. Anyone who is committed to the ideals of democracy and human rights knows that the spread of those ideals is inevitable. If Turkey joins the European Union, those ideals will take root even faster because they are often correlated with economic and HDI gains.
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

Global and Comparative Studies Major at Birmingham-Southern College

Nekronia
Senator

Founded: Dec 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nekronia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

I hold your opinions for it at the current moment, and if it shapes up I'm in favor, however it looks like things won't go up to par. If things DO work better and things DO improve somehow, then I'm game.
The Templar High Council wrote:The number of times Nek makes sense is grossly outnumbered by the times he doesn't.
IC Info: TL;DR verson of Nekronia: Authoritarian government with elements of the USSR and national socialism. Everyone works for the government, and buys from the government, obsoleting taxes as the money does not leave the country, save for government buying of items of foreign nations. Military is advanced but unconventional, focusing on infantry and psychological warfare. Primary method of national income is export of armaments and other war-related items.

OOC Info: I am a male and an atheist.
Lithianity's Knight of Hilarity and Jackie-***ery

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Is it unreasonable to assume that being a member of the EU might have a liberalizing effect on Turkey?

It's EU law for members to abide by EU regulations, laws, standards, etc. before joining -- so to join, they'd have to change all of that first.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_ ... n_progress

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General