NATION

PASSWORD

The Confederate battle flag

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What does the Confederate battle flag mean to you?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 am

Racisism
22%
Southern Heritage
17%
Southern Pride
17%
Remembrance
9%
HERITAGE NOT HATE
10%
Slavery
20%
Saint Andrew's cross
5%

Total votes : 1726

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 am

Ucropi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Really. Which part of the Constitution should we read?

Which part of the British bill of rights gave you the right to secede from the empire?

It didn't. Both secessions were illegal, until the British Empire recognised the US as a nation. The Confederacy was and always will be illegitimate for that reason.
Last edited by Kelinfort on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Which part of the British bill of rights gave you the right to secede from the empire?

Irrelevant. We are discussing the CSA and the claim of it was legal was made......

How is it irrelevant? If it's wrong for the CSA to do it why was it okay for America to do it?
Go home America, my country already has freedom
Things I Like:
Communism, Equality, Science, Art

Things I Hate:
Capitalism, America, Religion

Lininiel
Secretary

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am

As Voltaire said: I do not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am

Lininiel wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Any individual who reads the secession documents issued by the several southern states, as well as the Alexander Stevens' Cornerstone Speech, will know what that flag stands for.

I said earlier that the flag stood for many things. Yes, slavery existed in the south. However I believe the Confederacy also stood for the right not to have the government involved in everything they did, a noble sentiment. I can only tell you that I do not support slavery of any race, but I will not see the day when one's right to fly a flag is denied just because someone else doesn't agree with them.

How can you claim the South stood for limited government in the face of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which required all law enforcement officials, on penalty of fines, to apprehend and return slaves, even in states where slavery was itself illegal, some of which states declared slaves entering their territory to be free? You can't have it both ways, non-interference your affairs and massive interference in the affairs of others. Remember, we're talking about bondage slavery, not some philosophical debate on politics. The history of the early Republic is one of a slow movement away from slavery by some states and a desperate clinging to it by others.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Lininiel wrote:I said earlier that the flag stood for many things. Yes, slavery existed in the south. However I believe the Confederacy also stood for the right not to have the government involved in everything they did, a noble sentiment. I can only tell you that I do not support slavery of any race, but I will not see the day when one's right to fly a flag is denied just because someone else doesn't agree with them.

How can you claim the South stood for limited government in the face of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which required all law enforcement officials, on penalty of fines, to apprehend and return slaves, even in states where slavery was itself illegal, some of which states declared slaves entering their territory to be free? You can't have it both ways, non-interference your affairs and massive interference in the affairs of others. Remember, we're talking about bondage slavery, not some philosophical debate on politics. The history of the early Republic is one of a slow movement away from slavery by some states and a desperate clinging to it by others.

The U.S passed that act. Is this not about politics, at all?

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:18 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Lininiel wrote:I said earlier that the flag stood for many things. Yes, slavery existed in the south. However I believe the Confederacy also stood for the right not to have the government involved in everything they did, a noble sentiment. I can only tell you that I do not support slavery of any race, but I will not see the day when one's right to fly a flag is denied just because someone else doesn't agree with them.

How can you say that the American revolution was based on wanting to have a fair government when they secede 4 years after Somerset v Stewart in which slavery was found unsupported by law?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:18 am

Lininiel wrote:As Voltaire said: I do not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

M. Voltaire would be disgusted by your invocation of him in an argument about slavery.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:20 am

Ucropi wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How can you claim the South stood for limited government in the face of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which required all law enforcement officials, on penalty of fines, to apprehend and return slaves, even in states where slavery was itself illegal, some of which states declared slaves entering their territory to be free? You can't have it both ways, non-interference your affairs and massive interference in the affairs of others. Remember, we're talking about bondage slavery, not some philosophical debate on politics. The history of the early Republic is one of a slow movement away from slavery by some states and a desperate clinging to it by others.

How can you say that the American revolution was based on wanting to have a fair government when they secede 4 years after Somerset v Stewart in which slavery was found unsupported by law?

She didn't say that.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:20 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Lininiel wrote:As Voltaire said: I do not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

M. Voltaire would be disgusted by your invocation of him in an argument about slavery.

The argument is not just about slavery. You who condemn the flag keep bringing it to that. Voltaire himself said he would defend my right to say what I am saying.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Ucropi wrote:How can you say that the American revolution was based on wanting to have a fair government when they secede 4 years after Somerset v Stewart in which slavery was found unsupported by law?

She didn't say that.

Non-responsive please stay on topic we're not talking about what people said.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 am

Ucropi wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How can you claim the South stood for limited government in the face of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, which required all law enforcement officials, on penalty of fines, to apprehend and return slaves, even in states where slavery was itself illegal, some of which states declared slaves entering their territory to be free? You can't have it both ways, non-interference your affairs and massive interference in the affairs of others. Remember, we're talking about bondage slavery, not some philosophical debate on politics. The history of the early Republic is one of a slow movement away from slavery by some states and a desperate clinging to it by others.

What does that have to do with the causes of the American Revolution? And anyway, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for, not the American Revolution. You are welcome to start another thread on that subject.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:22 am

Ucropi wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
She didn't say that.

Non-responsive please stay on topic we're not talking about what people said.

You are.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:24 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ucropi wrote:How can you say that the American revolution was based on wanting to have a fair government when they secede 4 years after Somerset v Stewart in which slavery was found unsupported by law?

What does that have to do with the causes of the American Revolution? And anyway, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for, not the American Revolution. You are welcome to start another thread on that subject.

You seriously don't see the parallels?

Both America and the CSA secede
Both are motivated by the fear of the loss of slavery
Both claim "higher" political reasons for secession
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:25 am

Ucropi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Irrelevant. We are discussing the CSA and the claim of it was legal was made......

How is it irrelevant? If it's wrong for the CSA to do it why was it okay for America to do it?

The questions of the long thread or the Confederate flag and what it stands for.

The US flag or the actions of the Revolution are irrelevant.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:26 am

Ucropi wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What does that have to do with the causes of the American Revolution? And anyway, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for, not the American Revolution. You are welcome to start another thread on that subject.

Actually Jefferson and a few others wanted to end Slavery. The future CSA bulked at that idea.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:26 am

Ucropi wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What does that have to do with the causes of the American Revolution? And anyway, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for, not the American Revolution. You are welcome to start another thread on that subject.

Again, the American Revolution is not the topic. Start a thread on that if you want. Do not continue this line here.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ucropi wrote:How is it irrelevant? If it's wrong for the CSA to do it why was it okay for America to do it?

The questions of the long thread or the Confederate flag and what it stands for.

I love how apparently no American can see the parallels between the American revolution and the Souths succession. If the confederate flag stands for slavery and rebellion why doesn't the american flag?

America had slavery hundreds of years longer than the CSA yet you claim the CSA flag stands for slavery? I don't understand.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Creamy pleasures
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Creamy pleasures » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:28 am

I proudly have a rebel battle flag right next to the American flag in my room. True patriots appreciate the Rebel Flag as a symbol of a time in our nation's history that shall never be forgotten, unfortunately many wish to see this flag never displayed in their hopes that we will forget and that history will repeat itself. Pay no attention to these fools, and if you have a Confederate Battle flag display it proudly alongside the other flags that represent our great nation, the greatest country on Earth.
Thank You

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:28 am

Ucropi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I love how apparently no American can see the parallels between the American revolution and the Souths succession. If the confederate flag stands for slavery and rebellion why doesn't the american flag?

America had slavery hundreds of years longer than the CSA yet you claim the CSA flag stands for slavery? I don't understand.

The American Revolution was not fought specifically to defend the institution of slavery. The War of Southern Treason was.

This question has been answered at least a dozen times. Please stop the threadjack.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:30 am

Once more, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for. The topic is not the American Revolution and its origins.

The topic is locked for a short time for this to be seen by everyone.

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 am

Farnhamia wrote:Once more, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for. The topic is not the American Revolution and its origins.

Stop saying it is irrelevant. The similarities have been explained. Come up with a response. You are simply not helping anything with your denial of a valid point.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 am

Ucropi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

The French and the English had slaves before that so I am sure we can draw parallels.

It's a distraction and a weak attempt at justification.

Let's stay with the original question of what does the CSA flag represent.......

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 am

Lininiel wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Once more, the topic is the Confederate battle flag and what it stands for. The topic is not the American Revolution and its origins.

Stop saying it is irrelevant. The similarities have been explained. Come up with a response. You are simply not helping anything with your denial of a valid point.

In case you missed it:

The American Revolution was not fought specifically to defend the institution of slavery. The War of Southern Treason was.

This question has been answered at least a dozen times. Please stop the threadjack.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ucropi wrote:I love how apparently no American can see the parallels between the American revolution and the Souths succession. If the confederate flag stands for slavery and rebellion why doesn't the american flag?

The French and the English had slaves before that so I am sure we can draw parallels.

It's a distraction and a weak attempt at justification.

Let's stay with the original question of what does the CSA flag represent.......

No how about we discuss WHY it represents what you claim it does. That's what I've been trying to accomplish.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am

That question has many answers.

PreviousNext