NATION

PASSWORD

The Confederate battle flag

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What does the Confederate battle flag mean to you?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 am

Racisism
22%
Southern Heritage
17%
Southern Pride
17%
Remembrance
9%
HERITAGE NOT HATE
10%
Slavery
20%
Saint Andrew's cross
5%

Total votes : 1726

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Yes, The Fort Sumpter incident was caused wholly by the Federalist States of America. They didn't remove themself from Confederate Territory.

A peaceful secession involves the negotiated turnover of facilities. Not eviction by force.

Details.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

Ucropi wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
In other words, it was written by southern revisionists.

Glad you can see how wrong your side is that you try to find the smallest crack in my post to pick at. Also British/Canadian historians don't really care about the north or south when they right history books.

Non-responsive.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Where does it say that they are required to be a part of the union? As stated previously all laws and rulings pertaining to the south and its so called illegal secession were made after the civil war or after the state had already seceded.

Ah. So you admit there isn't anything in the Constitution over that.

Since states vote to join the union voluntarily they had the right to remove themselves voluntarily.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Vazdania wrote:The fort was previously federal property. As soon as the state removed itself from the union, that property became the states.

Eminent domain generally does not apply to federal property, and requires both legal proceedings and some form of compensation.

Not if its an agressive foreign force that is on your property.
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Lininiel
Secretary

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Lininiel wrote:Good Sir! I am in no way upset. I simply ask everyone to let everyone be, let folks decide for themselves. People try to make others think the same as them. That is the very reason the flag is so widely associated with slavery. Perhaps individuals should decide for themselves. I value your opinion, even though my beliefs are different. This way we both may get along quite well even though our opinions differ on this topic.

Any individual who reads the secession documents issued by the several southern states, as well as the Alexander Stevens' Cornerstone Speech, will know what that flag stands for.

I said earlier that the flag stood for many things. Yes, slavery existed in the south. However I believe the Confederacy also stood for the right not to have the government involved in everything they did, a noble sentiment. I can only tell you that I do not support slavery of any race, but I will not see the day when one's right to fly a flag is denied just because someone else doesn't agree with them.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Vazdania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ah. So you admit there isn't anything in the Constitution over that.

Since states vote to join the union voluntarily they had the right to remove themselves voluntarily.

Again, you cannot claim since one legal process is legal, that the opposite is legal.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Glad you can see how wrong your side is that you try to find the smallest crack in my post to pick at. Also British/Canadian historians don't really care about the north or south when they right history books.

Non-responsive.

Please go back to my post and explain to me how the American Revolution and by extension the American flag don't stand for slavery and rebellion.
Go home America, my country already has freedom
Things I Like:
Communism, Equality, Science, Art

Things I Hate:
Capitalism, America, Religion

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Kelinfort wrote:
Vazdania wrote:The fort was previously federal property. As soon as the state removed itself from the union, that property became the states.

No. See, the process to secede was never legal and after the war, it was retroactively declared illegal. There was no legal process. You cannot use a process that is legally grey as an excuse to exit a contract.

It was entirely legal, the state had the right to secede.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Lininiel wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Believe what you like, just don't pretend to be upset when other people look down on you for waving a flag associated with slavery and rebellion.

Good Sir! I am in no way upset. I simply ask everyone to let everyone be, let folks decide for themselves. People try to make others think the same as them. That is the very reason the flag is so widely associated with slavery. Perhaps individuals should decide for themselves. I value your opinion, even though my beliefs are different. This way we both may get along quite well even though our opinions differ on this topic.

Wrong gender ;)

Revising history is worst then trying to make everybody think the same.

The South needs to build a new name for themselves. It's not like they can't.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Dracoria wrote:I'd like to note that I wasn't nearly this anti-Confederacy when the thread began. Something about the Confederate apologists is just really grating on me.

Yup. The Confederacy is like the 3rd Reich. The more you learn about it, the more you realize it was led by complete asshats. Jefferson Davis is one of the biggest douches ever.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Vazdania wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Eminent domain generally does not apply to federal property, and requires both legal proceedings and some form of compensation.

Aye.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Vazdania wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

Thankfully, the Union forces at the fort were neither aggressive nor foreign. Non-responsive.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:09 am

Ucropi wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Non-responsive.

Please go back to my post and explain to me how the American Revolution and by extension the American flag don't stand for slavery and rebellion.

Non-responsive. This thread is about the Confederate flag.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:09 am

Vazdania wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Which was never their territory. They never went through a legal process of any kind if it existed, and their cause was weakened by the fact they were clearly represented.

It was there territory. It was their property. The states voluntarily de-ratified their state constitution and bid in the United States of America.

They were federal forts; not their property......

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:09 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Lininiel wrote:Good Sir! I am in no way upset. I simply ask everyone to let everyone be, let folks decide for themselves. People try to make others think the same as them. That is the very reason the flag is so widely associated with slavery. Perhaps individuals should decide for themselves. I value your opinion, even though my beliefs are different. This way we both may get along quite well even though our opinions differ on this topic.

Wrong gender ;)

Revising history is worst then trying to make everybody think the same.

The South needs to build a new name for themselves. It's not like they can't.

Agreed

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

Vazdania wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:No. See, the process to secede was never legal and after the war, it was retroactively declared illegal. There was no legal process. You cannot use a process that is legally grey as an excuse to exit a contract.

Oh, goody, so you must have evidence in the Constitution to back this claim, right? Or some amendment or legal process?

No, you don't. Don't claim that, because it had never been attempted before, that automatically makes the process legal. It doesn't.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

Vazdania wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:No. See, the process to secede was never legal and after the war, it was retroactively declared illegal. There was no legal process. You cannot use a process that is legally grey as an excuse to exit a contract.

Really. Which part of the Constitution should we read?

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Please go back to my post and explain to me how the American Revolution and by extension the American flag don't stand for slavery and rebellion.

If the American flag doesn't represent slavery and rebellion how does the confederate flag?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Vazdania wrote:It was entirely legal, the state had the right to secede.

Which part of the British bill of rights gave you the right to secede from the empire?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:11 am

Ucropi wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

If the American flag doesn't represent slavery and rebellion how does the confederate flag?

Non-responsive. The topic of the thread is the Confederate flag, not the Union flag. Please stay on topic.

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:12 am

Ucropi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Which part of the British bill of rights gave you the right to secede from the empire?

None. That is the brilliant part of secession, you don't have to follow the laws of the government you are seceding from.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am

Lininiel wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Which part of the British bill of rights gave you the right to secede from the empire?

None. That is the brilliant part of secession, you don't have to follow the laws of the government you are seceding from.

Personally I completely disagree with what the Confederate stands for, but I'm willing to play devils advocate for you guys because your side is clearly more thought out.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am

Ucropi wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Irrelevant. We are discussing the CSA and the claim of it was legal was made......

Lininiel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Lininiel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 am

Ucropi wrote:
Lininiel wrote:None. That is the brilliant part of secession, you don't have to follow the laws of the government you are seceding from.

Personally I completely disagree with what the Confederate stands for, but I'm willing to play devils advocate for you guys because your side is clearly more thought out.

Thank ye.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:14 am

Ucropi wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

Irrelevant. We are discussing the CSA flag.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General