NATION

PASSWORD

Malvinas Forever?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Malvinas Forever?

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 pm

That's the way a UN committee thinks it should be...

A United Nations’ committee approved a new resolution calling on the UK and Argentina to negotiate a solution to their dispute over the Falkland Islands, essentially favouring Argentina's stance in the long-running feud.

The 24-nation Decolonization Committee passed the resolution by consensus despite passionate speeches from two Falkland Islands representatives who said most islanders wanted to keep things as they are.

The decision showed that the committee members have been largely unmoved by a referendum in the Falkland Islands last year in which more than 99 per cent of voters favoured remaining a British Overseas Territory.

The UK has rebuffed Argentina's calls to negotiate the sovereignty of the south Atlantic islands, saying it is up to people who live there to decide.

"PUTA, LAS MALVINAS SON INGLESES!"

So Argentina not only has the support of its best friends at Mercosur, but also now apparently it also has the support of the United Nations Decolonization Committee, whose existence, as far as I can see, is to push small dependent states into independence when they don't want it, or in this case, hand them over to Argentina. Which kind of defeats the purpose, as it will only change the country that the Falklands are a territory of.

Not to mention that the current membership of the committee consists of one country that committed an illegal annexation of territory from another state, five countries from South America that support the Argentine claim, one country that already gave up territory for a new state and that subsequent new state.

The stupid thing about this is that the islanders have already decided what country they want to be a part of. They don't want to be a part of Argentina yet here we have the UN and its collection of human-rights violating butt buddies saying "fuck you and your choice, you should be a part of a country that invaded your territory and treated you like dirt because reasons".

So, NSG, fuck the UN? Or fuck the wicked British imperialists?
Last edited by Costa Fierro on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The 54th Squadron
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 54th Squadron » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Tell the committee to fuck off any stay away from their island. Simple as that.
Legalize owning RPG's and nuclear weapons, reinstate hanging, add in burning meat grinders, stop giving shits for airplane crashes, shut the fuck up about banning guns, the south will NOT rise again, you are just ignorant, look down on the poor, modify genetics so fat kids taste like bacon, cats are better than dogs, if you don't like what's going on in the middle east, fix it yourself, Obama is a good president, just a bad Congress, MLP is a kickass show.

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:05 pm

British got there first, and colonised the place.
No indigenous population before that.
Islands wish to remain British.

Argentina's persistence is almost admirable.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

The North Falkland Islands
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The North Falkland Islands » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Lyras wrote:British got there first, and colonised the place.

Pretty much ^_^

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Personally, I'd settle it by having Argentina and Britain signing a treaty: Argentina gets the Malvinas and Britain keeps the Falklands. Refuse to specify which areas apply, and hope that the treaty that gives Argentina control of the Malvinas and Britain maintaining their rule of the Falklands will please the UN and not result in a war.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The 54th Squadron
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The 54th Squadron » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Luziyca wrote:Personally, I'd settle it by having Argentina and Britain signing a treaty: Argentina gets the Malvinas and Britain keeps the Falklands. Refuse to specify which areas apply, and hope that the treaty that gives Argentina control of the Malvinas and Britain maintaining their rule of the Falklands will please the UN and not result in a war.

Or maybe they should. Sometimes war is the best way to get your message across.
Legalize owning RPG's and nuclear weapons, reinstate hanging, add in burning meat grinders, stop giving shits for airplane crashes, shut the fuck up about banning guns, the south will NOT rise again, you are just ignorant, look down on the poor, modify genetics so fat kids taste like bacon, cats are better than dogs, if you don't like what's going on in the middle east, fix it yourself, Obama is a good president, just a bad Congress, MLP is a kickass show.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Erm...not really.
The French got there first, in 1764. They then handed the sole settlement, Port Saint Louis, over to the Spaniards in 1767, who then renamed it Puerto Soledad. It was a Spanish colony until 1833 or so, when it was claimed by the British due to a combination of a "prior discovery claim" (who actually discovered the islands first, between the British, French, Spanish, and Portuguese, is basically unprovable now) and the claim that the island was "lawless" due to some local piratical activity, thus forfeiting the Spanish claim.
So then, Puerto Soledad became Port Stanley.
Lyras wrote:Islands wish to remain British.

Yeah, at this port, that kind of is the defining factor.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Technically, the French got there first. But neither the British nor the French were actually aware of the presence of each other's settlements as both were on different islands.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 pm

I meant between the Argentines and the British. Franco-Spanish parts notwithstanding, and not in play.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 pm

The islanders themselves want to remain British, so it's pretty clear what the proper solution is: keeping the islands British. The UN committee should stop pretending that it knows what the islanders should want.
Last edited by Regnum Dominae on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Britain needs to put some heavily-armed troops and bombers on the islands. Argentina will surely back down due to their presence alone.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 pm

I speak having previously lived in the Falklands, the Islanders want to be British. The Falklands are almost more British than Britain itself, people fly British flags from their flagpoles, and cars, people paint their cars in the Union flag. In most households, there is a picture of Her Majesty, The Queen (And Margaret Thatcher).

And above all, 99.8% of the Islanders voted to remain British. If that is not a clear message, then I have no idea what classifies as one.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 pm

Libertarian California wrote:Britain needs to put some heavily-armed troops and bombers on the islands. Argentina will surely back down due to their presence alone.

With how backward the Argentine military is?
They probably will not have to worry about a *snicker "war" *snicker* anytime soon.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Libertarian California wrote:Britain needs to put some heavily-armed troops and bombers on the islands. Argentina will surely back down due to their presence alone.

They've been doing that for 30 years. Google "Mount Pleasant".
It hasn't really dissuaded them that much.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:42 pm

The 54th Squadron wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Personally, I'd settle it by having Argentina and Britain signing a treaty: Argentina gets the Malvinas and Britain keeps the Falklands. Refuse to specify which areas apply, and hope that the treaty that gives Argentina control of the Malvinas and Britain maintaining their rule of the Falklands will please the UN and not result in a war.

Or maybe they should. Sometimes war is the best way to get your message across.

Meh. It's best to attract more flies with the honey of peace than the vinegar of war.
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Uh, what?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

Uh, what?

Argentina gets the Islas Malvinas, Britain gets the Falkland Islands. Simple, really.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 pm

If Argentina wants the Falklands, they can come take them. The UN can go **** ******.

Estado Paulista
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Paulista » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Chile doesn't support Argentina's claims to the Falklands, Cuba and Nicaragua aren't in South America, and the correct phrasing would be "Las Malvians son Inglesas".
Last edited by Estado Paulista on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your nation is like a son. What it does right is your merit, as well as what it does wrong is your fault. When you praise it, be lucid and avoid exaggeration. Praising it too much can make it indolent. On the other hand, when you criticize it, be harsh, but do not ridicule it. Do your best to improve it, not through derision or disdain, but through good examples and dedication.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 pm

Benuty wrote:

With how backward the Argentine military is?
They probably will not have to worry about a *snicker "war" *snicker* anytime soon.

A war they'd surely lose.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:49 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Uh, what?

Argentina gets the Islas Malvinas, Britain gets the Falkland Islands. Simple, really.

I know what you said. I repeat myself: uh, what?

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:13 am

Luziyca wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:Uh, what?

Interprets the last comment: Islas Malvinas = Falkland Islands, it's just that the countries call it differently.

It's like Senkaku Islands and Diaoyu-dao.

EDIT: Which obviously makes splitting a far nigh impossible task.
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 am

On one hand the UK can tell this UN committee to fuck off. On the other hand the UK can tell this UN committee to kindly fuck off. Tough choices lay ahead for the UK it seems.

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 am

Solution: Democratic vote on the island.

Let the people decide. It seems they are on the UK's side, though. I maybe incorrect. A referendum should be held there.
Born again free market capitalist.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:16 am

Lalaki wrote:Solution: Democratic vote on the island.

Let the people decide. It seems they are on the UK's side, though. I maybe incorrect. A referendum should be held there.

There already was one. 99.8% voted to stay with the UK.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General