NATION

PASSWORD

Is America The Best Country In The World?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Is America The Best Country In The World?

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:28 pm

God forgive me for what I'm about to do:

I'm sure you've all seen the "Most Honest Moment On Television" video excerpt from H.B.O's award winning show, "The Newsroom" in which Center-Right newscaster Will McEvoy goes off on a 20 year old college student who asks the question; "In one sentence can you say why America is the greatest country in the world."

If you haven't, for some reason, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4r7hIWln7Q&feature=kp

Now, obviously on this, the eve of Independence Day for America, we come to the fact that we, as a country, are now 238 years old and have fallen on very hard times. Now, we are not number one in the world anymore. At least not in anything good, according to the C.I.A's World Factbook. However, there are some out there, I know, who would argue that pure numbers and categories cannot accurately define a country's greatness. Thus, like that 20 year old college student on the Newsroom, I now ask you, NS...

Is America the greatest country in the world, and if so, what makes it that way?

I do hope this is enlightening.
Last edited by Elemental North on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Kargintina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Elemental North wrote:God forgive me for what I'm about to do:

I'm sure you've all seen the "Most Honest Moment On Television" video excerpt from H.B.O's award winning show, "The Newsroom" in which Center-Right newscaster Will McEvoy goes off on a 20 year old college student who asks the question; "In one sentence can you say why America is the greatest country in the world."

If you haven't, for some reason, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4r7hIWln7Q&feature=kp

Now, obviously on this, the eve of Independence Day for America, we come to the fact that we, as a country, are now 238 years old and have fallen on very hard times. Now, we are not number one in the world anymore. At least not in anything good, according to the C.I.A's World Factbook. However, there are some out there, I know, who would argue that pure numbers and categories cannot accurately define a country's greatness. Thus, like that 20 year old college student on the Newsroom, I now ask you, NS...

Is America the greatest country in the world, and if so, what makes it that way?

I do hope this is enlightening.

The only thing we're best at is fast food :rofl: :lol2: :lol:

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:32 pm

No. America is a pretty nice place, and I'm grateful that I live in a country with fair civil rights and freedoms, but there are a few others places I'd rather live, and that I find to have a better standard of living.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:33 pm

The Scientific States wrote:No. America is a pretty nice place, and I'm grateful that I live in a country with fair civil rights and freedoms, but there are a few others places I'd rather live, and that I find to have a better standard of living.

There is that. But can you be more specific.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

The Kingdom of Grenoble
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Grenoble » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:34 pm

No.

America ranks 13th in starting a business, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.

The U.S. ranks 47th in press freedom, according to Reporters Without Borders. So much for freedom of the press.

The U.S. ranks 20th in international trade, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.

The U.S., which ranks 15th in dealing with debt insolvency according to the Doing Business rankings.

The U.S. is ranked 10th in economic freedom, according to The Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal.

The U.S. is 25th among 43 developing countries for the best place to be a mother, according to Save The Children.

The U.S. is only the 11th happiest country in the world, according Columbia University's Earth Institute.

There are 21 countries better than America in freedom from corruption, according to Heritage.org.

The U.S. was ranked 24th in perceived honesty, according to Transparency.org.

America is ranked 39th in income inequality according to the CIA World Factbook.

Need a Hepatitis B vaccination? The U.S. is ranked 89th in percentage of children who have been vaccinated according to the World Health Organization.

The U.S. is only 47th in infant survival? That's true, according to the CIA World Factbook.

Want to live a long life? Don't live in the U.S., which is 50th in life expectancy according to the CIA World Factbook.

How well is the economy growing? The U.S. GDP growth rate is ranked 169th out of 216 countries, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The GDP per capita is only 12th in the world, behind Qatar and Liechtenstein, says the CIA World Factbook.

The unemployment percentage is worse than 102 of the 200 countries listed by the CIA World Factbook.

The U.S. is an embarrassing 142nd out of 150 countries in infrastructure investment, according to the CIA World Factbook.

America's budget deficit is ranked 192nd in debt relative to GDP, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The growth rate of industrial production is ranked 79th, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The U.S. is only 11th in oil exports, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The U.S. is ranked 192nd, dead last, in the net trade of goods and services, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The reserve of foreign exchange and gold is ranked 19th, according to the CIA World Factbook, right behind Indonesia.

The U.S. is ranked the 28th best soccer team by FIFA.

In terms of the percentage of women holding public office, the U.S. ranks 79th out of 147 countries, says the IPU.

7th in literacy

27th in math

22nd in science

49th in life expectancy

178th in infant mortality

Number four in labor force and number four in exports.

Also, you lead the world in only three categories. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending

BTW, i'm not American, i'm Croatian
Last edited by The Kingdom of Grenoble on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 pm

There is no "Best country in the world".

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:36 pm

The Kingdom of Grenoble wrote:No.

America ranks 13th in starting a business, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.

The U.S. ranks 47th in press freedom, according to Reporters Without Borders. So much for freedom of the press.

The U.S. ranks 20th in international trade, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.

The U.S., which ranks 15th in dealing with debt insolvency according to the Doing Business rankings.

The U.S. is ranked 10th in economic freedom, according to The Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal.

The U.S. is 25th among 43 developing countries for the best place to be a mother, according to Save The Children.

The U.S. is only the 11th happiest country in the world, according Columbia University's Earth Institute.

There are 21 countries better than America in freedom from corruption, according to Heritage.org.

America is ranked 39th in income inequality according to the CIA World Factbook.

Need a Hepatitis B vaccination? The U.S. is ranked 89th in percentage of children who have been vaccinated according to the World Health Organization.

The U.S. is only 47th in infant survival? That's true, according to the CIA World Factbook.

Want to live a long life? Don't live in the U.S., which is 50th in life expectancy according to the CIA World Factbook.

How well is the economy growing? The U.S. GDP growth rate is ranked 169th out of 216 countries, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The GDP per capita is only 12th in the world, behind Qatar and Liechtenstein, says the CIA World Factbook.

The unemployment percentage is worse than 102 of the 200 countries listed by the CIA World Factbook.

The U.S. is an embarrassing 142nd out of 150 countries in infrastructure investment, according to the CIA World Factbook.

America's budget deficit is ranked 192nd in debt relative to GDP, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The growth rate of industrial production is ranked 79th, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The U.S. is ranked 192nd, dead last, in the net trade of goods and services, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The reserve of foreign exchange and gold is ranked 19th, according to the CIA World Factbook, right behind Indonesia.

In terms of the percentage of women holding public office, the U.S. ranks 79th out of 147 countries, says the IPU.

7th in literacy

27th in math

22nd in science

49th in life expectancy

Also, you lead the world in only three categories. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending

Someone watched the video. And please refrain from quoting statistics from the Heritage Foundation. No one trusts them for anything anymore.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:36 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:There is no "Best country in the world".

Well, that is arguable, but why do you think so?
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

The Kingdom of Grenoble
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Grenoble » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Elemental North wrote:

7th in literacy

27th in math

22nd in science

49th in life expectancy

Someone watched the video. And please refrain from quoting statistics from the Heritage Foundation. No one trusts them for anything anymore.

Too bad, it's not

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Is America the best country in the world? No, but every immigrant who is here can attest to the fact they're better off than in their home country, and that's a fact; otherwise they wouldn't be here.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Elemental North wrote:

7th in literacy

27th in math

22nd in science

49th in life expectancy

The highlighted portion is. That is what I was referring to.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:41 pm

No, we weren't, nor were we ever. The US, is the Dominant country in the world, as in we lead the world in terms of economic, cultural, and military hegemony. Don't get me wrong, I love the US, I love the ideas of equality for everyone that the US pulls off really well compared to other countries, and I love the ideals the US was built on. I just don't like some politicians this days.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:Is America the best country in the world? No, but every immigrant who is here can attest to the fact they're better off than in their home country, and that's a fact; otherwise they wouldn't be here.

The U.S Department of Immigration states that there are more people emigrating from this country than immigrating. This is due to lack of ease to earn citizenship, and lack of job opportunities, considering that in many states it is now illegal to hire an undocumented immigrant worker.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Organized States wrote:No, we weren't, nor were we ever. The US, is the Dominant country in the world, as in we lead the world in terms of economic, cultural, and military hegemony. Don't get me wrong, I love the US, I love the ideas of equality for everyone that the US pulls off really well compared to other countries, and I love the ideals the US was built on. I just don't like some politicians this days.

To some people dominance means best.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Elemental North wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:Is America the best country in the world? No, but every immigrant who is here can attest to the fact they're better off than in their home country, and that's a fact; otherwise they wouldn't be here.

The U.S Department of Immigration states that there are more people emigrating from this country than immigrating. This is due to lack of ease to earn citizenship, and lack of job opportunities, considering that in many states it is now illegal to hire an undocumented immigrant worker.

That's just illegal immigration then.

But for legal immigrants, I am not so sure this same criteria applies though. I have to admit that, even though I think the U.S. isn't the best, I am far better off here than in my home country.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

The Kingdom of Grenoble
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Grenoble » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Elemental North wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

Oh, well, true, the Heritage Foundation is not to be trusted :P

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:46 pm

The Kingdom of Grenoble wrote:
Elemental North wrote:

You never ever trust the Heritage :p

Nobody takes them seriously anymore.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:50 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
The Kingdom of Grenoble wrote:

You never ever trust the Heritage :p

Nobody takes them seriously anymore.

Well I'm glad we've reached a consensus on that? Um, yes I am sure that whatever country you came from is worse than here. However, I think that some people miss the implications of a country considering itself the "best" for so long, as we have. You begin to believe that nothing can ever go wrong with you, you start ignoring obvious warning signs because you believe that, due to your strain of good fortune, a+b could never =c. You start to become too patriotic, then you turn into nationalists, and then the only logical path to go down is fascism.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:04 pm

No, there isn't one "best country".
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Geilinor wrote:No, there isn't one "best country".

Disneyland disagrees.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Benuty wrote:
Geilinor wrote:No, there isn't one "best country".

Disneyland disagrees.

Pardon me?
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Elemental North wrote:
Benuty wrote:Disneyland disagrees.

Pardon me?

They call themselves "The most magical place on earth" that is pretty blunt.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Elemental North
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Benuty wrote:
Elemental North wrote:
Pardon me?

They call themselves "The most magical place on earth" that is pretty blunt.

And the happiest, but that doesn't make them a country.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:16 pm

Elemental North wrote:
Benuty wrote:They call themselves "The most magical place on earth" that is pretty blunt.

And the happiest, but that doesn't make them a country.

It does when owns land in several states and has a very great degree of control over their areas. Also Walt fucking Disney *nods*.

Seaxeland
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Seaxeland » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm

It once was and it can be again, but right now it is not, and that is unacceptable.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General