NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread IV

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
34%
Eastern Orthodox
7%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
9%
Methodist
3%
Baptist
11%
Pentecostal
3%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
4%
Other Christian
21%

Total votes : 934

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Blood Wine wrote:
Constantinopolis wrote:That depends on whether they actually practice what they believe, or just go to church on Sunday but otherwise don't take their faith very seriously.

If everyone in the world were a truly practicing Christian - actually, never mind everyone in the world; if just the people who currently call themselves Christians were truly practicing Christians - that would be enough to end world poverty, and greatly reduce the number of wars and other conflicts. This is because truly practicing Christians are people who spend most of their time trying to help their brothers and sisters in need.

But I do not believe that it will ever be possible to get a majority of the world (let alone everyone) to be truly practicing Christians.

Really? do you have any statistics to back this up? I've never seen any actual statistics on Christianity charity - I dare say charity would rather take a hit,while local churches would recieve more and put back into the community due to the small/close knit communities,bigger churches would slush the money into closed books to do god knows what with it

I'm not sure about less wars though;the same faith does deter invasions (I mean,not a lot of people want to kill someone of their own faith),but when everyone beliefs the same it falls to the background as a unimportant factor in day to day life (like taking the train to your job,it's routine and background radiation rather then a deciding factor)

You missed his point. If all Christians acted like Christians, the mega churches wouldn't embezzle, we'd all take care of our fellow man, we'd all be Roman Catholic, etc etc. All those things you listed are a result of people not acting according to the faith.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:50 pm

The Flood wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:Unfortunately this is not "obvious": the Catholic Church has taken the opposite position.
No... it hasn't. Medical necessity is the only time the Catholic Church permits abortion.

Though sometimes strongly Catholic countries may ignore the official Church stance; I believe Ireland has at times forbade abortion even when the mother will die otherwise.

Uh, you might want to check this. From my understandi abortion is a big no no under any circumstances...

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:53 pm

Constantinopolis wrote:
The Flood wrote:Not with a crime as grave as murder.

When you kill someone in self-defence, the Church considers that murder. It is a very grave sin. But in many places, the state does not consider it murder, and it is legal.

The Church's definition of murder and the legal definition of murder are different in most countries. Yet there is no movement to bring the legal definition perfectly in line with the Church's definition.

Not true, killing in self defense or to prevent the shedding of innocent bloox is considered justfied. If not, you better talk to your priests who consecrate military weapons.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The Flood wrote:He's right in what he said. Perhaps he should have said why, but then again statements such as this hardly warrant argumentation.

The reason your argument is utterly wrong is because you're judging an institution for things it did in the Middle Ages. If you're going to do that you have to judge everything and everyone from that time period. Are we also gonna say England is terrible and evil? France? Germany? Every other country? No, to do so would be foolish, because people then had an entirely different paradigm of thought, and applying modern ideals to people 1000 years ago is incredible naive.

Did the Church turn it's infallibility off in the middle ages or something?

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. If the Church didn't know better then anyone else, then what's it for?

The Church isn't infallible... at least in the can do no wrong sense.
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:33 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Blood Wine wrote:
Really? do you have any statistics to back this up? I've never seen any actual statistics on Christianity charity - I dare say charity would rather take a hit,while local churches would recieve more and put back into the community due to the small/close knit communities,bigger churches would slush the money into closed books to do god knows what with it

I'm not sure about less wars though;the same faith does deter invasions (I mean,not a lot of people want to kill someone of their own faith),but when everyone beliefs the same it falls to the background as a unimportant factor in day to day life (like taking the train to your job,it's routine and background radiation rather then a deciding factor)

You missed his point. If all Christians acted like Christians, the mega churches wouldn't embezzle, we'd all take care of our fellow man, we'd all be Roman Catholic, etc etc. All those things you listed are a result of people not acting according to the faith.

I agree. Much of the negative things we discuss in churches arise from people not truly practicing the faith.
Born again free market capitalist.

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 am

The Union of the West wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It's a newer idea, so therefore it's automatically wrong?

I smell chronological snobbery.

If an idea being old makes it true, then the only true religion is the totemism and animal worship that the Neanderthals practiced.

Correct.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:If an idea being old makes it true, then the only true religion is the totemism and animal worship that the Neanderthals practiced.

Correct.

Grug nog say fire speaks to Grug nog, Grug nog say personal revelation.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 am

Ig wug make wheel

Lleu llaw Gyffes
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lleu llaw Gyffes » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:14 pm

One wheel completely useless until Aeg invent SECOND wheel, while Ig just rides unicycle.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Og the Wise already has cave sketches of automobiles, but no-one will understand them until the automobile is actually invented several millenia later.

... I think we should return to the topic of Christianity now. (Though stereotypically named cave people trying to one-up each other might work as an f7 thread.)

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Blood Wine wrote:I have a question:

Suppose everyone in the world beliefs in god,more specifically one form of Christianity,then what?
Will the world change in any aspect? will it be any better?

It absolutely would be better. Caesaropapism/elective absolute monarchy is best government structure.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Do you guys think that the Catholic Church will continue to become more progressive with each Pope?

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Blood Wine wrote:I have a question:

Suppose everyone in the world beliefs in god,more specifically one form of Christianity,then what?
Will the world change in any aspect? will it be any better?

It absolutely would be better. Caesaropapism/elective absolute monarchy is best government structure.

Even with everyone in the world a Christian, I would still support a secular democratic republic.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Lalaki wrote:Do you guys think that the Catholic Church will continue to become more progressive with each Pope?

I don't see her as "progressive." I see her as more liberal. The two are not, necessarily, synonymous.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

A couple questions for believers in Papal Infallibility:

1) If the Pope were to claim to be God, would that make it true?

2) Back in the days of Galileo, the Church and Pope Paul V held the position that the Earth was at the center of the universe and the sun revolved around the Earth. Modern science has proven that this is obviously wrong. Is this not an error on behalf of the Pope, therefore making him fallible?
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Lalaki wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Even with everyone in the world a Christian, I would still support a secular democratic republic.

Eww.

/puts on bibliolotrous hat\

That's unbiblical, sir!
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:28 pm

The Union of the West wrote:A couple questions for believers in Papal Infallibility:

Probably the same thing as if a man would claim to be God.

Thank you, I'll be here all weak.

Try the veal!
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:28 pm

The Union of the West wrote:A couple questions for believers in Papal Infallibility:

2) Back in the days of Galileo, the Church and Pope Paul V held the position that the Earth was at the center of the universe and the sun revolved around the Earth. Modern science has proven that this is obviously wrong. Is this not an error on behalf of the Pope, therefore making him fallible?

The Pope is only infallible in faith and morals.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:28 pm

That's not how it works. He cannot make such a claim.

The Church held that view because that was the contemporary scientific consensus. Galileo was censured because he attacked that consensus before his findings could be verified. Moreover, the Church has endorsed the Big Bang Theory - it was a catholic who developed the theory. Einstein rejected the theory as hogwash.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Lalaki wrote:Do you guys think that the Catholic Church will continue to become more progressive with each Pope?

Umm... kind of?

If society is driving down the autobahn of progress, then the Catholic Church is an old guy driving with his blinkers on. He'll always lag annoyingly behind and be in the way, but that doesn't mean he isn't moving.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Distruzio wrote:

If he has vocal chords and a big enough ego, he can.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Distruzio wrote:

Like I said, the Pope is only infallible in faith and morals. Claims of divinity are outside of his jurisdiction.
Last edited by Lalaki on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lleu llaw Gyffes
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lleu llaw Gyffes » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Conscentia wrote:Og the Wise already has cave sketches of automobiles, but no-one will understand them until the automobile is actually invented several millenia later.

... I think we should return to the topic of Christianity now. (Though stereotypically named cave people trying to one-up each other might work as an f7 thread.)

Let's do the Cavemen like the Yorkshire-men sketch: Cave! CAVE! You had it soft.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Distruzio wrote:

No. He cannot. That's not how papal declarations work.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General