NATION

PASSWORD

Ultimate Football (Soccer) Thread 2014-15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 am

Evil Lord Sauron wrote:
Yellow Yellow Red wrote:
Millennium Stadium is a 5 star UEFA stadium, isn't it? To add insult to injury, this is the Azeri national stadium, which presumably will be the stadium in Baku that gets the group stage matches.

The new stadium in Bucharest looks great, though.

I believe so. It's definitely one of the best Rugby stadiums in the world (I'd argue the best), and the atmosphere is unlike anything else. Never been to it when it has been a sell out for a football game however.

We also held the Super Cup this year which was a huge success so not sure I understand the decision. (Oops was Cardiff City's ground as opposed to the Millenium) The stadium is right in the heart of the city and the city comes alive during game day and would really add something to an international competition. Only down side I heard was the airport (despite Cardiff having one) they'd use would be Bristol and would be a large distance to the ground. Which considering the links between Bristol and Cardiff are very good anyway I don't follow that argument. And that isn't even taking into account Cardiff actually does have an airport.

Also compare it to Glasgow and Dublin (and Wembley :P) since those are the other stadiums in the region which ran for EC 2020 (and got it). How does it compare to those?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Evil Lord Sauron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Evil Lord Sauron » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:41 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Evil Lord Sauron wrote:
I believe so. It's definitely one of the best Rugby stadiums in the world (I'd argue the best), and the atmosphere is unlike anything else. Never been to it when it has been a sell out for a football game however.

We also held the Super Cup this year which was a huge success so not sure I understand the decision. (Oops was Cardiff City's ground as opposed to the Millennium) The stadium is right in the heart of the city and the city comes alive during game day and would really add something to an international competition. Only down side I heard was the airport (despite Cardiff having one) they'd use would be Bristol and would be a large distance to the ground. Which considering the links between Bristol and Cardiff are very good anyway I don't follow that argument. And that isn't even taking into account Cardiff actually does have an airport.

Also compare it to Glasgow and Dublin (and Wembley :P) since those are the other stadiums in the region which ran for EC 2020 (and got it). How does it compare to those?

The Aviva stadium capacity of 50,000, while Hampden Park is also just over 50,000. Millennium Stadium is 74,000. Only Wembley beats it on capacity. Cardiff definitely has more facilities in the surrounding areas than Wembley. There is only a couple of pubs and hotels around Wembley and as you can imagine they are absolutely packed, unless you take the tube back to central London. You step out of the Millennium and you are right bang in the middle of a capital city. Can't speak about the Aviva or Hampden as I've not been to them and only seen them on TV. Plus I'm biased but would say Cardiff takes them both. When Wembley was being overhauled they used the Millennium stadium for a few years for the FA cup and various finals with great success.
Come and join Mordor

Enjoy the Black Gates of Mordor and the fiery pits of Mount Doom

KoloToure
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby KoloToure » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:23 am

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:Moose from Talksport reporting that Cardiff are "close" to appointing a new manager.He says it will be Russell Slade of Leyton Orient.

Out of the frying pan...

Yellow Yellow Red
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yellow Yellow Red » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:27 am

KoloToure wrote:
Yellow Yellow Red wrote:Moose from Talksport reporting that Cardiff are "close" to appointing a new manager.He says it will be Russell Slade of Leyton Orient.

Out of the frying pan...

I saw that. Victim of a takeover and unwanted by his current owner, and now gets to go work for Vincent Tan.

I was initially dismissive of the Slade to Cardiff rumors but then I checked the odds and saw that he was really quickly rising. Bet 365 has him rapidly climbing and now at 2/5, while SkyBey has him at 1/2. I figure someone knows something, and this can't possibly just be the response to one presenter with a kind of sketchy record on these things saying it.
Last edited by Yellow Yellow Red on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

KoloToure
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby KoloToure » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 am

Am I the only one that is surprised that Alan Pardew still has a job?

Since Boxing Day, he has a win rate of 21% (5 in 24 games). Or, to look at it another way, he's taken just 17 points from an available 72 (at 23%). He's also headbutted a player, developed a toxic relationship with the fans, and told a popular player suffering from cancer to find a new club upon his return from injury (although this is not an entirely clear point as we only have Jonas's word - not that he might have lied, but possibly misconstrued). It's not been a successful 9 months in any way, shape or form.

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:Millennium Stadium is a 5 star UEFA stadium, isn't it?

That classification no longer exists. And if you want to know why Millennium Stadium was rejected, I suggest you read the evaluation report.

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:To add insult to injury, this is the Azeri national stadium, which presumably will be the stadium in Baku that gets the group stage matches.

No, it will be the new Bakı Olimpiya Stadionu which is set to open next year.

Evil Lord Sauron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Evil Lord Sauron » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Commerce Heights wrote:
Yellow Yellow Red wrote:Millennium Stadium is a 5 star UEFA stadium, isn't it?

That classification no longer exists. And if you want to know why Millennium Stadium was rejected, I suggest you read the evaluation report.

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:To add insult to injury, this is the Azeri national stadium, which presumably will be the stadium in Baku that gets the group stage matches.

No, it will be the new Bakı Olimpiya Stadionu which is set to open next year.

So not enough corporate hospitality or 5* hotels?
Come and join Mordor

Commerce Heights
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Evil Lord Sauron wrote:
Commerce Heights wrote:That classification no longer exists. And if you want to know why Millennium Stadium was rejected, I suggest you read the evaluation report.

So not enough corporate hospitality or 5* hotels?

Not enough space near the stadium for parking or temporary facilities, not enough airport capacity, and not enough hotels of any kind. (Bakı is also short on hotels, but meets every other requirement.)

Evil Lord Sauron
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Evil Lord Sauron » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Commerce Heights wrote:
Evil Lord Sauron wrote:So not enough corporate hospitality or 5* hotels?

Not enough space near the stadium for parking or temporary facilities, not enough airport capacity, and not enough hotels of any kind. (Bakı is also short on hotels, but meets every other requirement.)

The parking shouldn't and isn't really an issue as Cardiff City council have put in place a number of measures, such as park and ride and extensive parking outside of the city with excellent links to the ground. They deal with this several times a year with a more than capacity stadium for the rugby internationals with thousands of fans attending, most not even with tickets who just want to enjoy the match day atmosphere in the city.

Again hotels, are a small problem, whenever I've been down to Cardiff to watch the rugby we've had to book places about 30 minutes away and it's a slight inconvenience but has made the day no less enjoyable.

We host regular rugby internationals with France, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand throughout the year who all have no problem getting to Cardiff for what is a sell out stadium, none of them have a problem finding the ground.

I dunno I just see it as a better option that Dublin or Glasgow and certainly better than St. Petersburg which hosts a world cup 2 years earlier. The entire city of Cardiff can offer a great match day experience that I don't feel some of the other venues can.
Come and join Mordor

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:18 pm

KoloToure wrote:Am I the only one that is surprised that Alan Pardew still has a job?

Since Boxing Day, he has a win rate of 21% (5 in 24 games). Or, to look at it another way, he's taken just 17 points from an available 72 (at 23%). He's also headbutted a player, developed a toxic relationship with the fans, and told a popular player suffering from cancer to find a new club upon his return from injury (although this is not an entirely clear point as we only have Jonas's word - not that he might have lied, but possibly misconstrued). It's not been a successful 9 months in any way, shape or form.

There's a huge rally in Newcastle planned for the Saturday game against Hull. I'm not sure if it'll change Mike Ashley's mind, but at this rate Cabella and De Jong will be looking to jump ship by January. Which is a shame, because Newcastle has talented players, an entire city behind them, a big stadium, all that.

Newcastle under Pardew is like if Spurs kept Sherwood after last season. Their fans have had to watch their club become mediocre and fine with it in the space of three years.What a horror show.
Last edited by Bundabunda on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I speak for myself and myself only.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Bundabunda wrote:
KoloToure wrote:Am I the only one that is surprised that Alan Pardew still has a job?

There's a huge rally in Newcastle planned for the Saturday game against Hull. I'm not sure if it'll change Mike Ashley's mind, but at this rate Cabella and De Jong will be looking to jump ship by January. Which is a shame, because Newcastle has talented players, an entire city behind them, a big stadium, all that.

Newcastle under Pardew is like if Spurs kept Sherwood after last season. Their fans have had to watch their club become mediocre and fine with it in the space of three years.What a horror show.
Since I didn't get the Spurs job when AVB and Sherwood were sacked, I now officially put my hat in the ring to succeed Pardew. I promise not to headbutt anyone, especially not David Meyler.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Auremena wrote:
Bundabunda wrote:There's a huge rally in Newcastle planned for the Saturday game against Hull. I'm not sure if it'll change Mike Ashley's mind, but at this rate Cabella and De Jong will be looking to jump ship by January. Which is a shame, because Newcastle has talented players, an entire city behind them, a big stadium, all that.

Since I didn't get the Spurs job when AVB and Sherwood were sacked, I now officially put my hat in the ring to succeed Pardew. I promise not to headbutt anyone, especially not David Meyler.

I'm afraid your FM CV is not up to par.

It has to be the most toxic job in the PL right now. Moyes would be great for them, but given how much freedom he had at Everton, I don't think Newcastle looks particularly great for him.

Alvalero
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alvalero » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:45 am

Evil Lord Sauron wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

The Aviva stadium capacity of 50,000, while Hampden Park is also just over 50,000. Millennium Stadium is 74,000. Only Wembley beats it on capacity. Cardiff definitely has more facilities in the surrounding areas than Wembley. There is only a couple of pubs and hotels around Wembley and as you can imagine they are absolutely packed, unless you take the tube back to central London. You step out of the Millennium and you are right bang in the middle of a capital city. Can't speak about the Aviva or Hampden as I've not been to them and only seen them on TV. Plus I'm biased but would say Cardiff takes them both. When Wembley was being overhauled they used the Millennium stadium for a few years for the FA cup and various finals with great success.

The Aviva is fairly central if I remember correctly. If the GAA were smart they could have offered Croke Park which has a capacity of 80,000 and shared the earnings with the FAI but you know allowing foreign sports into the hallowed ground for a few years while the Aviva was being built was long enough. That and the FAI love their money.
Zander Cerebella
Prince of Aarhus

Duke of New Hyperion(Wintreath)
Autarch of New Hyperion

Former Delegate, Vice Delegate & Statsminister of Balder

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:40 am

I'm sure we can recover from that last few minutes by Christmas.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:48 am

HSV.

4 Games, 0 Goals, 2 Points.

Observe the power of Rafael van der Vaart.

lul

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 am

Nazis in Space wrote:HSV.

lul

Why are you calling him dick? :unsure:

(lul means 'dick' in Dutch)

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:(lul means 'dick' in Dutch)

Haha, I learnt this the hard way at work when I said I did something "for the lulz"

...pun intended.
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:22 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:HSV.

lul

That's extremely useful information and I thank you for providing it.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:28 am

Bundabunda wrote:
Auremena wrote:Since I didn't get the Spurs job when AVB and Sherwood were sacked, I now officially put my hat in the ring to succeed Pardew. I promise not to headbutt anyone, especially not David Meyler.
I'm afraid your FM CV is not up to par.

It has to be the most toxic job in the PL right now. Moyes would be great for them, but given how much freedom he had at Everton, I don't think Newcastle looks particularly great for him.
Oh? I didn't tell you I got the hand of it. Level on points with Chelsea going into championship Sunday, where I play Chelsea and beat them, Soldado with his 27th and 28th goals, Torres though striking back in extra time. Then a comfortable 3-0 win to the Europa League. Kane the top scorer (16) in that competition. Yep, I'm ready for the big leagues! :lol:
Right now though, just about anyone would be better than Pardew.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:39 pm

That was a horrendous display from Liverpool. Gerrard's definitely slipped up in his performances this season. [/banter]

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Nazis in Space wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

That's extremely useful information and I thank you for providing it.

Oh no! What did I do?!?!

Oh well, at least you cannot pronounce "Scheveningen" :p

West Ham United
Civilian

Founded: Sep 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby West Ham United » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:24 am

Bundabunda wrote:That was a horrendous display from Liverpool. Gerrard's definitely slipped up in his performances this season. [/banter]

And a superb display from us. Song and Kouyate looked very sharp in particular, as did Noble and Sakho, Valencia too. Reid was solid at the back, and Demel had a great game.

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:32 am

It looks like West Brom is going to be Spurs' new West Ham this season. That was fucking horrible. All of the unit pressing and fancy shit that Poch instilled in the team flew out the window today.

West Ham United wrote:
Bundabunda wrote:That was a horrendous display from Liverpool. Gerrard's definitely slipped up in his performances this season. [/banter]

And a superb display from us. Song and Kouyate looked very sharp in particular, as did Noble and Sakho, Valencia too. Reid was solid at the back, and Demel had a great game.

Sakho looks a proper bargain. Turns out all Allardici needed were some good players.

United Mathis Republic
Civilian

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

their shold be like world cups an olimpics on here

Postby United Mathis Republic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 am

[proposal=][/proposal]

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 am

Jamie Vardy. Proof if ever that the non-league system works.
Слава Україні!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General