NATION

PASSWORD

Ultimate Football (Soccer) Thread 2014-15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:29 am

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:
The Icemark wrote:Strange about Vorm coming though. I mean I know we need a new no.2, but Vorm could be no.1 in countless other clubs. Either it's a lack of ambition or he knows something we don't.

I wonder if he was told that Fabianski coming meant he would be second team, not in contention for the number one spot. Backup at Swansea or backup at Spurs? I'd take Spurs in a heartbeat. He'll be getting all the Europa League and Cup matches, I'd imagine, so he'll still get plenty of matches in.

Aye, this. He didn't have a great season last year, and I think he knew he'd be sitting out plenty of matches on the bench at Swansea. Also, I imagine we're improving his wages somewhat. He's still an improvement on Friedel though, and means we won't have to adjust our entire tactical plan for when we have our number two goalie in net.

Still hoping Lloris gets the captain's armband.
The True Valhallan Federation of Polar Islandstates - Pop. 51,500,000
Capital: Franz Josef City - Demonym: Valhallan (Polarian) - Trigramme: PIS
sportnyheter.vu - Ides of March Cup
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Yellow Yellow Red
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yellow Yellow Red » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 am

Polar Islandstates wrote:
Yellow Yellow Red wrote:
I wonder if he was told that Fabianski coming meant he would be second team, not in contention for the number one spot. Backup at Swansea or backup at Spurs? I'd take Spurs in a heartbeat. He'll be getting all the Europa League and Cup matches, I'd imagine, so he'll still get plenty of matches in.

Aye, this. He didn't have a great season last year, and I think he knew he'd be sitting out plenty of matches on the bench at Swansea. Also, I imagine we're improving his wages somewhat. He's still an improvement on Friedel though, and means we won't have to adjust our entire tactical plan for when we have our number two goalie in net.

I'm always a bit iffy about goalkeepers getting the armband. Not because Lloris isn't deserving (he is), but because they have so much farther to run to go talk to a referee on a denied penalty shout, for example, or if an attacking player gets a controversial card or something of that sort all the way across the field.

That being said, I'm not sure there are many better alternatives. Eriksen seems to have the right temperament and personality for handling referees and the media, but he doesn't seem like much of an inspiration leader. Add to that his age (he's only 22, after all, despite having over 40 caps for Denmark and a hell of a lot of top flight starts in the Netherlands) and he is a big question mark. Sandro? Speaking as a neutral, I'd love it!

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 am

James to Madrid for ~~€80mil. A bid to out-dakka Suarez?
TBH I liked Realms 4-3-3 midfield trio of Alonso, Di Maria, and Khedira. I said this when Bale came in, but This time Di Maria will probably get the boot.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

The Icemark
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Icemark » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 am

Madrid now own the five most expensive players in the world. Oh dear...

Yellow Yellow Red
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yellow Yellow Red » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 am

Three days ago, a post on The Secret Footballer talked about contemplating retirement, including this bit towards the end:

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/20587/sands-of-time-running-out/ wrote:Today, my knees are in a bad way and, let’s face it, they’re not going to get better. So the question becomes: how well can I manage them?

Deep down, you know that the powers that have served you so well are beginning to fade.

When I look back now, I realise that I did everything I could to stay in the game for as long as I wanted to and I’m proud of the fact that I’m not a footballer who needs football to the detriment of what he has achieved and the fact that he can’t face the life that comes afterwards.

I can’t go on forever. At some stage, life after football needs to start and I’ve vowed that I won’t go on like Mickey [Rourke], never really letting go of the sport that has dominated my life for so long.

I can’t go on forever. At some stage, life after football needs to start

I can’t throw myself into tackles for too much longer, no matter how loudly the crowd cheer from the stands.

For the first time in my football career, I’m looking around for some help.

I’m looking for the guy who shouts “cut” … but I already know that it’s time for “it’s a wrap”.

Today Dave Kitson announced his retirement.

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:30 am

The Icemark wrote:Madrid now own the five most expensive players in the world. Oh dear...

They own Neymar and Luis Suarez as well now? :O

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:31 am

The Icemark wrote:Madrid now own the five most expensive players in the world. Oh dear...

Did Luis Suárez chew up his Barcelona contract?

The Icemark
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Icemark » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 am

You know them Spanish clubs. They all look alike.

Osarius
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Osarius » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 am

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:Three days ago, a post on The Secret Footballer talked about contemplating retirement, including this bit towards the end:

-snip-

I'm still not sold it's him though. In fact, I'm still not really sold on the idea that it's one guy.
Monarch: Alexander III | First Minister: Mathieu Lupin | Population: ~125 million | Capital: Burningham, Mount Crown
Civilisation Index: 13.43 • Tier 7, Level 2, Type 5
Current Project(s): a discord scorination bot, and a football manager knock-off

Useful NSSports Stuff | RabaSport.net

||A Loyal Citizen of Wakanda||

Yellow Yellow Red
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yellow Yellow Red » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 am

Osarius wrote:
Yellow Yellow Red wrote:Three days ago, a post on The Secret Footballer talked about contemplating retirement, including this bit towards the end:

-snip-

I'm still not sold it's him though. In fact, I'm still not really sold on the idea that it's one guy.

I could get behind the argument that it is more than one person. Or if it is one person, that he put up some red herrings here and there, synthesizing accounts of friends and teammates into his own articles.

As a side note, I was woefully unimpressed with the Secret Footballer book.

As a side note to that side note, the same cannot be said of Jimmy Bullard's Bend It Like Bullard, which I recently finished reading. Thoroughly entertaining.
Last edited by Yellow Yellow Red on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Licentian Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Licentian Isles » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 am

-stuff-

I've always suspected that Kevin Davies was The Secret Footballer, but Dave Kitson would make sense, I suppose.
Two Time Esportivan Champions

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

I don't know, man. Messi has a €250 million release clause. Maybe Madrid's waiting to poach him at the right time?

It is crazy how this works. Madrid, despite not being one of the hated "sugar daddy" clubs, has the lure and appeal that Monaco, PSG, City, etc. just don't. And it's not like this is unfair competition, considering the arms race in Europe is still ongoing, with Bayern probably going to strengthen in the future and PSG's bottomless funds.

It'll be interesting to see if the likes of City, Monaco or PSG can challenge the established dominance of the Bayerns, Barcas and Real Madrids in a few years time. If I'm not wrong, Man City have never gotten out of their group squad, and PSG got booted out of the quarterfinals of the CL for two years running.

Anyways, James is a good addition for Madrid, but I'm not sure if I'd take him over Di Maria. Angelito made that squad hum last year. He was absolutely essential to the CL success.

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:
Polar Islandstates wrote:Aye, this. He didn't have a great season last year, and I think he knew he'd be sitting out plenty of matches on the bench at Swansea. Also, I imagine we're improving his wages somewhat. He's still an improvement on Friedel though, and means we won't have to adjust our entire tactical plan for when we have our number two goalie in net.

I'm always a bit iffy about goalkeepers getting the armband. Not because Lloris isn't deserving (he is), but because they have so much farther to run to go talk to a referee on a denied penalty shout, for example, or if an attacking player gets a controversial card or something of that sort all the way across the field.

That being said, I'm not sure there are many better alternatives. Eriksen seems to have the right temperament and personality for handling referees and the media, but he doesn't seem like much of an inspiration leader. Add to that his age (he's only 22, after all, despite having over 40 caps for Denmark and a hell of a lot of top flight starts in the Netherlands) and he is a big question mark. Sandro? Speaking as a neutral, I'd love it!

Ah, a Beast at the helm...interesting.

I think Sandro or Vert has the proper mentality to be vice captains, but Hugo is a lock for the position, IMO. The way that he commands the back line and rallies set pieces is pretty nice to watch.

For a long term captain (as in when they inevitably leave :( for Real), I'd love to see Kyle Walker.
I speak for myself and myself only.

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Stoke City signed Bojan.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-Ci ... story.html

So much potential. Shame that he never fulfilled it.

Khalifa Arabia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khalifa Arabia » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:19 pm

See y'all in hell for laughing I suppose?

They just can't escape it.
NS's resident ex-Muslim

Allahriffic one-liners
"Hot outside? The mosque is prayer-conditioned."
"A lot of kneeling will keep you in good standing."
"He who kneels before Allah can stand before anyone."
"Give Allah what’s right, not what’s left."
#rimshot

I V Stalin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby I V Stalin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:22 am

Bundabunda wrote:

It'll be interesting to see if the likes of City, Monaco or PSG can challenge the established dominance of the Bayerns, Barcas and Real Madrids in a few years time. If I'm not wrong, Man City have never gotten out of their group squad, and PSG got booted out of the quarterfinals of the CL for two years running.

City finished second in their group last year (got knocked out by Barca in the next round). And PSG went out on away goals to Barcelona and Chelsea the last two years, so it's not like they're not challenging.
One million deaths is a statistic. One death is a smaller statistic.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to tell if they're legitimate" - Abraham Lincoln

Farnhamia - "The concept of zero means nothing."

Like football? Like The Blizzard

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 am

Bundabunda wrote:
Yellow Yellow Red wrote:

Ah, a Beast at the helm...interesting.

I think Sandro or Vert has the proper mentality to be vice captains, but Hugo is a lock for the position, IMO. The way that he commands the back line and rallies set pieces is pretty nice to watch.

For a long term captain (as in when they inevitably leave :( for Real), I'd love to see Kyle Walker.

Sandro is off before too long, I think. Much though it pains me to admit it. I do love him, but he's always always made it clear hat he wants to play in Serie A one day, he only has a certain number of years on his contract, and he is injury prone. Also, again, though it pains me to admit it, he wasn't all that good last season. Aside from against United, or in central defence against Benfica, I can't remember a stand-out game for him. It makes sense for him to be off, and I see his withdrawal from the pre-season tour as a precursor.

:(

But yeah, also a big fan of Walker. Three or four years down the road I could see him being a great captain and England's first choice right back. Though, I'd have him as that right now anyway.
Champions: WC67, CR XIX, CR XVIII, CR XV, CR X, CR VIII, DBC56, DBC20, RLWC11, RLWC10 Runners-Up: WC66, WC65, CR VI, DBC29, DBC55, WCoH18
Third: WC70, WC68, WC57, CR XII, DBC27 Fourth: WC56, CR XXII, RLWC13, RLWC9, WCoH17
“Aut Pax Aut Bellum” - A formerly closed nation that definitely isn't fascist now. The strongest and one true constituent member of The Valhallan Union
He/Him/His

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Official confirmation from both clubs that Ben Davies and Michel Vorm have signed for Spurs, while Gylfi Sigurðsson has returned to Swansea.
Слава Україні!

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Not too sure that's a wise move for Swansea tbh.

Evil Lord Sauron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Evil Lord Sauron » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Nierr wrote:Not too sure that's a wise move for Swansea tbh.

It's not. Though I'm a big fan of Taylor and rate him slightly above Davies, they shouldn't of sold Vorm. Seems an odd decision. By both Vorm and Swansea.
Come and join Mordor

Enjoy the Black Gates of Mordor and the fiery pits of Mount Doom

Yellow Yellow Red
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yellow Yellow Red » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Evil Lord Sauron wrote:

It's not. Though I'm a big fan of Taylor and rate him slightly above Davies, they shouldn't of sold Vorm. Seems an odd decision. By both Vorm and Swansea.

Do you rate Vorm above Fabianski?

Evil Lord Sauron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Evil Lord Sauron » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Yellow Yellow Red wrote:
Evil Lord Sauron wrote:

Do you rate Vorm above Fabianski?

I do yeah. The season before he was outstanding, and although he had a bad season last season I'd have backed him to come back to form with regular football. He seemed to have a few injuries which kept hitting his form. Was only the beginning of last season that Vorm was strongly linked to replacing Valdes at Barca. So unless Swansea don't feel that he can ever get back to his best, it seems foolish to part exchange him and Davies for 3 mill + Sigi.
Come and join Mordor

Enjoy the Black Gates of Mordor and the fiery pits of Mount Doom

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Oh yeah, it isn't.

For Davies and Vorm both, I think it's a step up. For Vorm , he'll get a go at the cups and Europa, while Davies will be first choice starter in spite of Danny Rose.

How badly did Swans need an attacking mid? Siggy's not the best at passing and all that, but he packs a monster shot on him. It's a shame that we let him go, considering how badly he wanted to fight for his place.

£3.5 million plus Gilouf Sigjetson is such a Levy type deal. I don't think I'd have any other negotiator in the world in my corner if it could be Levy. We absolutely robbed Swansea.

Sandro is off before too long, I think. Much though it pains me to admit it. I do love him, but he's always always made it clear hat he wants to play in Serie A one day, he only has a certain number of years on his contract, and he is injury prone. Also, again, though it pains me to admit it, he wasn't all that good last season. Aside from against United, or in central defence against Benfica, I can't remember a stand-out game for him. It makes sense for him to be off, and I see his withdrawal from the pre-season tour as a precursor.

:(

But yeah, also a big fan of Walker. Three or four years down the road I could see him being a great captain and England's first choice right back. Though, I'd have him as that right now anyway

I agree, and it makes me pretty sad too, but I'd put the Villa game with him partnering up with Bentaleb in the 4-4-2 (If I remember that right...), and that'd be all. He was either injured for half the season or Sherwood decided he didn't like defensive mids.

Reading into Poch's system, it looks like there can be a place for him, but Capoue as the long ball-specialist/destroyer hybrid seems much more appropriate. At the very least, I would hope that the Beast is happy enough riding the bench this season,

More than anything, I think he's just a bit more fearful in matches after the QPR incident. Everyone forgets how good Sandro was in 2012-2013. Bale only had to carry us because Sandro couldn't.

I really hope he moves to Napoli, if he does go to Serie A. I would at least want to keep supporting the Beast, even when he's not with us. Not sure if I could do that if he was an Inter, Milan, Roma or Lazio player. He's good, but he's not Juventus good in any case.
Last edited by Bundabunda on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Polar Islandstates
Senator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Polar Islandstates » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Man, 2012/13 Sandro was best Sandro.
He/Him/His

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Him and Dembele did not allow anything to pass. Having them in front of the defense was like having a brick wall, a landmine field, and an electric fence to guard the back four.

Kinitaria
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinitaria » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Drawing 0-0 with League Two Hartlepool after 60 minutes, Poyet replaces the entire Sunderland team with youth players. Sunderland go on to win 3-0. Probably says something about our first team.
Technocratic State of Kinitaria | capital: Mi'ato | RP population: 145 million | demonym: Kinitar
trigramme: KIN | colours: blue and yellow | languages: Kinitar (de facto) and English | island nation | MT
Weather in Mi'ato | Litora | Serenberg

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Champions: Baptism of Fire 47 | Hosts: Baptism of Fire 52 (with Legalese), Cup of Harmony 60 (with Kazamatsuri), AOCAF 43

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General