NATION

PASSWORD

Georgia's "Guns Everywhere Bill"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Georgia's "Guns Everywhere Bill"

Postby Valica » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... where-bill

Just a few minutes ago, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) signed sweeping new gun legislation into law, and while it’s technically the “Safe Carry Protection Act,” NBC News’ Gabe Gutierrez noted that many have labeled it the “Guns Everywhere Bill.”
One of the most permissive state gun laws in the nation, it will allow licensed owners to carry firearms into more public places than at any time in the past century, including bars and government buildings that don’t have security checkpoints.

The law also authorizes school districts to appoint staffers to carry firearms. It allows churches to “opt-in” if they want to allow weapons. Bars could already “opt-in” to allow weapons, but under the new law they must opt out if they want to bar weapons. Permit-holders who accidentally bring a gun to an airport security checkpoint will now be allowed to pick up their weapon and leave with no criminal penalty. (At Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, a record 111 guns were found at TSA screening areas last year.)

Americans for Responsible Solutions, the group co-founded by former Arizona congresswoman Gabby Giffords, has called the legislation “the most extreme gun bill in America.”
Despite the opposition of gun-safety reformers and Georgia law enforcement, the bill was passed with relative ease. The governor’s Democratic challenger, state Sen. Jason Carter, voted for it, too, though he made it slightly less extreme, helping eliminate some provisions, including a measure allowing guns on college campuses.

Regardless, the new state law, which takes effect in July, also expands on Georgia’s “stand your ground” policy by “protecting convicted felons who kill using illegal guns.”

Frank Rotondo, the executive director of Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, told The Guardian, “One of the biggest concerns is it expands stand-your-ground. The way it’s written, a felon who is not permitted to have a weapon could use a weapon in defense of his or her home and not be charged for having the weapon.”

Oddly enough, a similar bill recently passed the Arizona legislature, though it met a different fate.

In a bit of a surprise, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) vetoed two pro-gun bills yesterday, including a proposal to expand guns in public buildings.
One bill would allowed gun owners to bring weapons into public buildings or events. A summary of the bill says that it would allow gun owners to keep their firearms unless the building had security guards, metal detectors and storage for the weapons. Many Arizona public buildings do not have the first two, according to local reports. […]

The other bill would have limited local governments from enacting gun control statutes that were stricter than state law and imposed a fine up to $5,000 on any local officials who administered such a statute, according to a summary. Those officials would also be at risk of losing their job.
For all of Brewer’s conservatism, she occasionally surprises me.

Here's a win for pro-gun citizens of the south.

How does NSG feel about this bill?

I disagree with two things:
1. Bringing guns into bars.
2. Allowing convicted violent offenders to legally use firearms.

Everything else is pretty solid.

I think it'll be a good step in the right direction.
Give it a year and show the anti-gun crowd that it doesn't greatly increase homicide rates.
We can see by looking at D.C. and Chicago that, even with strict laws, homicide rates are through the roof.
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 pm

I generally disagree with Georgia's gun laws, they're not nearly restrictive enough and this just exacerbates the problem.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Pilotto
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilotto » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Valica wrote:How does NSG feel about this bill?

Give it a year and show the anti-gun crowd that it doesn't greatly increase homicide rates.
We can see by looking at D.C. and Chicago that, even with strict laws, homicide rates are through the roof.

I agree with the OP's opinion. Guns and car keys should be confiscated before you can get hammered.

Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valica » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Pilotto wrote:
Valica wrote:How does NSG feel about this bill?

I agree with the OP's opinion. Guns and car keys should be confiscated before you can get hammered.

Pilotto, every time I see you, I'm agreeing with you.
I think we are soul mates.

FUCKING FREEDOM, AM I RIGHT?
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

Pilotto
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilotto » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Valica wrote:
Pilotto wrote:I agree with the OP's opinion. Guns and car keys should be confiscated before you can get hammered.

Pilotto, every time I see you, I'm agreeing with you.
I think we are soul mates.

FUCKING FREEDOM, AM I RIGHT?

FREEDOM-LOVING SOUL MATES 4 LIFE!
Last edited by Pilotto on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Valica wrote:http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/georgias-guns-everywhere-bill

Just a few minutes ago, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal (R) signed sweeping new gun legislation into law, and while it’s technically the “Safe Carry Protection Act,” NBC News’ Gabe Gutierrez noted that many have labeled it the “Guns Everywhere Bill.”
One of the most permissive state gun laws in the nation, it will allow licensed owners to carry firearms into more public places than at any time in the past century, including bars and government buildings that don’t have security checkpoints.

The law also authorizes school districts to appoint staffers to carry firearms. It allows churches to “opt-in” if they want to allow weapons. Bars could already “opt-in” to allow weapons, but under the new law they must opt out if they want to bar weapons. Permit-holders who accidentally bring a gun to an airport security checkpoint will now be allowed to pick up their weapon and leave with no criminal penalty. (At Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, a record 111 guns were found at TSA screening areas last year.)

Americans for Responsible Solutions, the group co-founded by former Arizona congresswoman Gabby Giffords, has called the legislation “the most extreme gun bill in America.”
Despite the opposition of gun-safety reformers and Georgia law enforcement, the bill was passed with relative ease. The governor’s Democratic challenger, state Sen. Jason Carter, voted for it, too, though he made it slightly less extreme, helping eliminate some provisions, including a measure allowing guns on college campuses.

Regardless, the new state law, which takes effect in July, also expands on Georgia’s “stand your ground” policy by “protecting convicted felons who kill using illegal guns.”

Frank Rotondo, the executive director of Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, told The Guardian, “One of the biggest concerns is it expands stand-your-ground. The way it’s written, a felon who is not permitted to have a weapon could use a weapon in defense of his or her home and not be charged for having the weapon.”

Oddly enough, a similar bill recently passed the Arizona legislature, though it met a different fate.

In a bit of a surprise, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) vetoed two pro-gun bills yesterday, including a proposal to expand guns in public buildings.
One bill would allowed gun owners to bring weapons into public buildings or events. A summary of the bill says that it would allow gun owners to keep their firearms unless the building had security guards, metal detectors and storage for the weapons. Many Arizona public buildings do not have the first two, according to local reports. […]

The other bill would have limited local governments from enacting gun control statutes that were stricter than state law and imposed a fine up to $5,000 on any local officials who administered such a statute, according to a summary. Those officials would also be at risk of losing their job.

*awaits inevitable increase in gun violence*
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Land of Heat and Clock Work
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2013
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The Land of Heat and Clock Work » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:14 pm

On the topic of gun laws, my opinions can be summed up eerily well by a single article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac,30860/

On this piece of legislation in particular, it actually makes me kinda sick.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Valica wrote:http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/georgias-guns-everywhere-bill

I favor it, obviously.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 pm

The Land of Heat and Clock work wrote:On the topic of gun laws, my opinions can be summed up eerily well by a single article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac,30860/

:rofl: That is a fucking hilarious Onion article. On topic though, I agree with you. Allowing violent offenders to own and use firearms? Fucking stupid.

Unidox
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Unidox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Merizoc wrote:
The Land of Heat and Clock work wrote:On the topic of gun laws, my opinions can be summed up eerily well by a single article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac,30860/

:rofl: That is a fucking hilarious Onion article. On topic though, I agree with you. Allowing violent offenders to own and use firearms? Fucking stupid.

Great; not only do people kill people, but now people with the right paper work can kill people "legally."
Caninope wrote:It's NSG. The 20th Circle of LIMBO!

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Always here to ruin the day. 8)

Living Freedom Land wrote:Oh, so now you want gay people to take part in the sacred institution of tax rebates too? You liberals sicken me.

Lacadaemon wrote:I mean, hell, in a properly regulated market, pension stripping schemes like Zynga wouldn't ever have a sniff of an IPO (see Groupon). But it's all wild westy now. Lie down with dogs and so forth.

Aravea
Senator

Founded: Oct 31, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Arkinesia wrote:I generally disagree with Georgia's gun laws, they're not nearly restrictive enough and this just exacerbates the problem.

It's worked so far. Except you know the violent crminals being allowed to carry guns.
Last edited by Aravea on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Deputy Speaker of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
★★★Proud Intelligence Minister of the United Monarchist Alliance★★★
Note: Currently in the process of overhauling the Aravean factbooks/canon.

New Aerios
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Unidox wrote:
Merizoc wrote: :rofl: That is a fucking hilarious Onion article. On topic though, I agree with you. Allowing violent offenders to own and use firearms? Fucking stupid.

Great; not only do people kill people, but now people with the right paper work can kill people "legally."

No, killing people hasn't suddenly become legal, unless that "paper work" says you're a cop or a soldier...
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aravea
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

*awaits inevitable increase in gun violence*

Not gonna happen.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

They should stick to the adage "less is more"

Multifarity
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Multifarity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

You can't really blame them, they need an armed population ready to repel another invasion from Russia.

Wait... Have I misunderstood?
British Genderqueer Intactivist Pokémon Trainer
Economic Left/Right: -5.12 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67
Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
Time Magazine Person Of The Year
I hate Tories. If I see a Tory, I eat a Tory.
A small and relatively wealthy parliamentary republic with a population of 1.2 million, covering most of northern Yorkshire in Britain, which became independent from the UK in 1987 in the desire to create a state which prioritises civil rights, social mobility, individuality and heterogeneity above all else. It's noted for it's absence of a gender-binary, it's highly progressive taxation and very well funded welfare state.
Map

Torsiedelle
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Torsiedelle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Aravea wrote:*awaits inevitable increase in gun violence*

Not gonna happen.[/quote]

I don't see a lot of gun violence here in Georgia. Then again, I live in south Georgia, where people are born with a gun in their hand, and people know how to handle them. I don't know about North Georgia.

Honestly, I like this bill, with the exception of the whole criminals-can-own-guns thing, but that's my opinion.
Rostavykhan is my Second Nation.
⋘EXCELSIOR⋙
To Cool For School

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm

A law passed on the movie logic presumption that there won't be any violent mass shootings because everyone else will gun the shooter down.

The Florida theater shooting will seem a freak happenstance in comparison to allowing firearms in bars and sporting venues.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 pm

As a resident of Georgia, the only part of this bill I disagree with is point 2 the OP brought up.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Unidox
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Unidox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Multifarity wrote:You can't really blame them, they need an armed population ready to repel another invasion from Russia.

Wait... Have I misunderstood?

At this point I think they are trying to deter Florida.
Caninope wrote:It's NSG. The 20th Circle of LIMBO!

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Always here to ruin the day. 8)

Living Freedom Land wrote:Oh, so now you want gay people to take part in the sacred institution of tax rebates too? You liberals sicken me.

Lacadaemon wrote:I mean, hell, in a properly regulated market, pension stripping schemes like Zynga wouldn't ever have a sniff of an IPO (see Groupon). But it's all wild westy now. Lie down with dogs and so forth.

Aravea
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Torsiedelle wrote:
Aravea wrote:*awaits inevitable increase in gun violence*

Not gonna happen.

I don't see a lot of gun violence here in Georgia. Then again, I live in south Georgia, where people are born with a gun in their hand, and people know how to handle them. I don't know about North Georgia.

Honestly, I like this bill, with the exception of the whole criminals-can-own-guns thing, but that's my opinion.[/quote]

Contrary to the opinions of NSG Georgia is not going to see an increase in gun violence.

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Aravea wrote:
Torsiedelle wrote:
Not gonna happen.

Honestly, I like this bill, with the exception of the whole criminals-can-own-guns thing, but that's my opinion.

Contrary to the opinions of NSG Georgia is not going to see an increase in gun violence.[/quote]

Honestly, the south side of Atlanta is the only real focal point up here.
Last edited by Hornesia on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Aravea
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Hornesia wrote:
Aravea wrote:

Contrary to the opinions of NSG Georgia is not going to see an increase in gun violence.

Honestly, the south side of Atlanta is the only real focal point up here.[/quote]

Yeah but it still won't be near as bad as DC or Chicago.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 pm

I agree with you. No guns in bars, please. We do background checks in order to make sure those carrying guns are socially responsible, and then we let them deliberately place themselves in a condition of irresponsibility while armed?
And I like your qualification of "violent" offenders, since I know many fine ex-felons who have never once lifted a finger in violence.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Aravea wrote:
Torsiedelle wrote:
Not gonna happen.

Contrary to the opinions of NSG Georgia is not going to see an increase in gun violence.[/quote]
Your faith in movie logic is amusing.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Valica wrote:We can see by looking at D.C. and Chicago that, even with strict laws, homicide rates are through the roof.

D.C. and Chicago are islands of gun control surrounded by oceans of gunapaloozas. Gun control works inside them, but not when offenders can simply buy a gun legally outside of them and bring a few in.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General