NATION

PASSWORD

Global Climate Change to render 50% of Earth Uninhabitable

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Viritica wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Why do you ask?

The electricity thing is a bit of a tricky thing, I don't sleep much but basically I usually just keep my rooms lighting on and all that.

When I do sleep, excluding a few times, I have only the fan on to keep me cool because otherwise it gets really fucking hot and all that and shit.

Because I get tired of people saying "stop being stupid and greedy and do stuff now" when they drive their gas-powered cars and then go home and turn on every light in their house and crank up the a/c when it gets hot.

Yeah, and what do you propose buddy?

People being environmentally minded isn't going to be possible everywhere, you won't change it 100% and you won't convince a large part of the populous...unless it is too late.

Thats why its a good idea to fund the people who know what they are doing, so they can work on making greener alternatives that are cheap, effective and just easy to make or whatever.

If there is one constant in all of this, its the laziness of people, as well we need to start funding NASA more and experiment with getting stuff in space ready or whatever, start developing into more potent technologies that are not just computers....

No one on NS alone is going to fix shit.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I wish they were though. I don't think it does humanity any good to be the only intelligent species we have contact with. It's a bit like me hiding in my apartment.

All the more reason to bring back the Orion Project.

I thought you were against us having contact with intelligent extraterrestrials.
Insert trite farewell here

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Viritica wrote:Because I get tired of people saying "stop being stupid and greedy and do stuff now" when they drive their gas-powered cars and then go home and turn on every light in their house and crank up the a/c when it gets hot.

Yeah, and what do you propose buddy?

People being environmentally minded isn't going to be possible everywhere, you won't change it 100% and you won't convince a large part of the populous...unless it is too late.

Thats why its a good idea to fund the people who know what they are doing, so they can work on making greener alternatives that are cheap, effective and just easy to make or whatever.

If there is one constant in all of this, its the laziness of people, as well we need to start funding NASA more and experiment with getting stuff in space ready or whatever, start developing into more potent technologies that are not just computers....

*shrugs*

Sure, let me just pull out my wallet and give NASA a few billion dollars.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:
Your starting to sound a tad hypocritical there buddy.
I meant complex tools, sorry.

No...I'm talking about how you are trying to put some animal up on a pedestal when you earlier noted it isn't fair to compare the intelligence levels of two animals.

Scomagia wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Yeah...we can judge pretty easily by testing the damn animals.

Dolphins are smart no doubt, but they are not even a visible speck of as smart as a Human.

I wish they were though. I don't think it does humanity any good to be the only intelligent species we have contact with. It's a bit like me hiding in my apartment.

I hope we change our ways before hand, because otherwise there is a good chance any alien civilization a good deal older than us won't tolerate our shit.
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Thats why its a good idea to fund the people who know what they are doing, so they can work on making greener alternatives that are cheap, effective and just easy to make or whatever.

We've had the very thing you're looking for for 60 years. Cheap, unlimited, safe nuclear power.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:They are not physiologically equipped to use tools, so tool using can't very well be a good measure of their intelligence. And, until we learn to communicate with them, we can't be sure how advanced their mathmatics, philosophies or religion are.

I'll reluctantly concede on tool usage, however we don't need to communicate with them to know that they do not have complex knowledge like we do, it's blatantly obvious.

Interestingly, many scientists who work with dolphins are so convinced of their intelligence that they have lobbeyed ffor them to be declared non-human persons:

Dolphins should be treated as non-human "persons", with their rights to life and liberty respected, scientists meeting in Canada have been told.

Experts in philosophy, conservation and animal behaviour want support for a Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans.

They believe dolphins and whales are sufficiently intelligent to justify the same ethical considerations as humans.

Recognising their rights would mean an end to whaling and their captivity, or their use in entertainment.

The move was made at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Vancouver, Canada, the world's biggest science conference.

It is based on years of research that has shown dolphins and whales have large, complex brains and a human-like level of self-awareness.

This has led the experts to conclude that although non-human, dolphins and whales are "people" in a philosophical sense, which has far-reaching implications.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-17116882
We are a nation of Buddhist robots that survived the death of humans dedicated to undoing the destruction of the environment caused by human hubris.

Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

Gandhi closest.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

0 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 0 percent are more extremist than you.

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/

I'm a Buddheo-Christian vegan liberationist liturgist.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Viritica wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Yeah, and what do you propose buddy?

*shrugs*

Sure, let me just pull out my wallet and give NASA a few billion dollars.

You obviously didn't read my damn post since you don't understand what the hell I was talking about.

Okay...lets take this slower...so you can catch up here buddy, I may have not specified or I may have blown past the marker, so as to amend the issue I will be specific on something.

....Who...do you think...will do the funding....how do you think they will do it and why?

.....Because the Government won't just do it out of thin fucking air.....they will need a reason to spend that money on NASA more than say...the military.

Give them an incentive, you know?

Jesus......
/// A.N.N. \\\

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
All the more reason to bring back the Orion Project.

I thought you were against us having contact with intelligent extraterrestrials.

I said they should be exterminated. Conquest is a form of contact.
Go Vikings.

East Catalina
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:31 pm

greed and death wrote:
East Catalina wrote:Inside an arcology, yeah.
Wait, California won't get much hotter in the next fifty years?
Damn. Seriously considering moving there. But this is just terrible for the whole world.

Texas will stay inhabitable even without an arcology. Anyways I own quite a bit of land so I think I can make arrangements for the refugees they farm the land and give me 75% of the produce I let them live on my land. Maybe occasionally demand the right of Droit du seigneur with teenaged daughters.

NorCal wont, but that is already the most expensive place in the country to live. The hippies are finally being priced out of San Francisco what a great day.

Is droit du seigneur "Right to have sex (with teenage daughters) or right to kill you (if you try to have sex with my teenage daughters)?
Crap. I'll have to be rich to move back home and by then Toledo might fry in the summer just like Sacramento did when I was a kid. Then again, Sacramento is like low cost suburban housing for San Francisco, to some extent.
United States of East Catalina, Caroga and the Catalina Islands
Mirajvor ni Mankrusa, Karoga ke Katalinsoqqvor
Estados Unidos de Catalina del Este, Catalina del Oeste y las Islas Menores

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Former colony of Spain (1547-1898) and the United States (1898-1946 in the East; 1898-1953 in the West) which underwent a civil war (1946-86) and is now recovering
Capital: Ocean City
Government type: Federal directorial parliamentary republic
39 states and 9 territories
Population: 248 million
Languages: Carogan, Spanish, English

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Scomagia wrote:I'll reluctantly concede on tool usage, however we don't need to communicate with them to know that they do not have complex knowledge like we do, it's blatantly obvious.

Interestingly, many scientists who work with dolphins are so convinced of their intelligence that they have lobbeyed ffor them to be declared non-human persons:

Dolphins should be treated as non-human "persons", with their rights to life and liberty respected, scientists meeting in Canada have been told.

Experts in philosophy, conservation and animal behaviour want support for a Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans.

They believe dolphins and whales are sufficiently intelligent to justify the same ethical considerations as humans.

Recognising their rights would mean an end to whaling and their captivity, or their use in entertainment.

The move was made at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Vancouver, Canada, the world's biggest science conference.

It is based on years of research that has shown dolphins and whales have large, complex brains and a human-like level of self-awareness.

This has led the experts to conclude that although non-human, dolphins and whales are "people" in a philosophical sense, which has far-reaching implications.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-17116882

Yeah, fuck that shit.
Go Vikings.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I thought you were against us having contact with intelligent extraterrestrials.

And this is why we should mature a bit more, because people think this would get our species to be fucked....hard...with a rusty intergalactic baseball bat....with nails....
/// A.N.N. \\\

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:No...I'm talking about how you are trying to put some animal up on a pedestal when you earlier noted it isn't fair to compare the intelligence levels of two animals.

Still don't get what you're driving at. Just because two different species has two different types of intelligences doesn't mean we can ignore one type in favor of the other. Dolphins, as well as all animals, deserve recognition for all their different types of intelligences.
We are a nation of Buddhist robots that survived the death of humans dedicated to undoing the destruction of the environment caused by human hubris.

Gandhi closest.
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

0 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 0 percent are more extremist than you.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

And this is why we should mature a bit more, because people think this would get our species to be fucked....hard...with a rusty intergalactic baseball bat....with nails....

We got Jeff Goldblum and more than a few laptops. I think we'll be fine.
Go Vikings.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:34 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:No...I'm talking about how you are trying to put some animal up on a pedestal when you earlier noted it isn't fair to compare the intelligence levels of two animals.

Still don't get what you're driving at. Just because two different species has two different types of intelligences doesn't mean we can ignore one type in favor of the other. Dolphins, as well as all animals, deserve recognition for all their different types of intelligences.

Yeah...hypocritical statement alert....

IIRC anyways, I am still a bit drowsy but whatever...

Blazedtown wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:And this is why we should mature a bit more, because people think this would get our species to be fucked....hard...with a rusty intergalactic baseball bat....with nails....

I hope you are kidding.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:35 pm

Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:Still don't get what you're driving at. Just because two different species has two different types of intelligences doesn't mean we can ignore one type in favor of the other. Dolphins, as well as all animals, deserve recognition for all their different types of intelligences.

Yeah...hypocritical statement alert....

Blazedtown wrote:

I hope you are kidding.

Wait, are you implying Independence Day wasn't a documentary?
Go Vikings.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Yeah...hypocritical statement alert....

I hope you are kidding.

I'm saying it was a badass movie...

And I don't feel like jerking around a table with you about it, we are both aware its a piece of fictional media.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I thought you were against us having contact with intelligent extraterrestrials.

It would be better than the reverse, though I'd prefer peaceful relations.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

And I don't feel like jerking around a table with you about it, we are both aware its a piece of fictional media.

No shit?

Listen, if you take most of what I say at face value, you will probably end up confused. I'm hardly ever serious.
Go Vikings.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:I meant complex tools, sorry.

No...I'm talking about how you are trying to put some animal up on a pedestal when you earlier noted it isn't fair to compare the intelligence levels of two animals.

Scomagia wrote:I wish they were though. I don't think it does humanity any good to be the only intelligent species we have contact with. It's a bit like me hiding in my apartment.

I hope we change our ways before hand, because otherwise there is a good chance any alien civilization a good deal older than us won't tolerate our shit.

There's a good chance that any alien civilization a good deal older than us might destroy us regardless of our behaviour.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

No shit?

Listen, if you take most of what I say at face value, you will probably end up confused. I'm hardly ever serious.

I'm aware your not serious, I'm telling you I don't want to fuck around in a stupid discussion over you joking around over it, just not into doing that right now.

Scomagia wrote:

There's a good chance that any alien civilization a good deal older than us might destroy us regardless of our behaviour.

And thats extremely silly to think, we simply won't know how aliens would act if we are simply neutral and passive, but if we are hostile there is a good chance that they will fight.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:42 pm

East Catalina wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Texas will stay inhabitable even without an arcology. Anyways I own quite a bit of land so I think I can make arrangements for the refugees they farm the land and give me 75% of the produce I let them live on my land. Maybe occasionally demand the right of Droit du seigneur with teenaged daughters.

NorCal wont, but that is already the most expensive place in the country to live. The hippies are finally being priced out of San Francisco what a great day.

Is droit du seigneur "Right to have sex (with teenage daughters) or right to kill you (if you try to have sex with my teenage daughters)?
Crap. I'll have to be rich to move back home and by then Toledo might fry in the summer just like Sacramento did when I was a kid. Then again, Sacramento is like low cost suburban housing for San Francisco, to some extent.

Right of taking a bride's first night. Global warming is bringing back my dream of feudalism, such a good thing for humans this global warming.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
No shit?

I'm aware your not serious, I'm telling you I don't want to fuck around in a stupid discussion over you joking around over it, just not into doing that right now.

Scomagia wrote:There's a good chance that any alien civilization a good deal older than us might destroy us regardless of our behaviour.

And thats extremely silly to think, we simply won't know how aliens would act if we are simply neutral and passive, but if we are hostile there is a good chance that they will fight.

It's not silly to think. Look at how first contact ended up for less advanced civilizations on Earth. Hell, you can look at what happens to less intelligent species that happen to be close to something we want.

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Scomagia wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:I'm aware your not serious, I'm telling you I don't want to fuck around in a stupid discussion over you joking around over it, just not into doing that right now.

It's not silly to think. Look at how first contact ended up for less advanced civilizations on Earth. Hell, you can look at what happens to less intelligent species that happen to be close to something we want.

Yeah but takig resources from earth is pricey, earth being at the bottom of a gravity well. Its easier too obtain what you want from asteroids and stuff.

Gandhi closest.
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Scomagia wrote:It's not silly to think. Look at how first contact ended up for less advanced civilizations on Earth. Hell, you can look at what happens to less intelligent species that happen to be close to something we want.

Yeah but takig resources from earth is pricey, earth being at the bottom of a gravity well. Its easier too obtain what you want from asteroids and stuff.

If first contact is made then we may well have already spread out through the solar system and begun taking advantage of those resources ourselves.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
No shit?

Scomagia wrote:There's a good chance that any alien civilization a good deal older than us might destroy us regardless of our behaviour.

Sorry, when ridiculous arguments like Buddha robot monk's show up I tend to get carried away. I always start off sounding sane but then I sober up and things go down hill fast.

There are only two events I can think of in human history that can compare to first contact with ETs. One is the colonizations of the Americas, the other the extinction of Neanderthals. Neither one ended well for the less technological or biologically advanced society.
Go Vikings.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General