NATION

PASSWORD

Is Banning Circumcision Xenophobic?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Viritica wrote:
Camicon wrote:The point is that those US stats are generalizable to other developed nations.
And 1 death for every 10,000 circumcisions is a deplorable statistic. Especially considering the two biggest arguments for circumcision (penile cancer and STI infection) are either bunk or complete conjecture, meaning those deaths are completely and entirely avoidable.
Lets put this to rest: if your penis has never dried out, cracked and bled, then having a foreskin would not change that. On the contrary, removal of the foreskin makes a cracked and bleeding penis more likely. No foreskin results in increased tension and strain on the skin of the penis, which increase the odds that, should it become to dry, it will crack and bleed.

Circumcision doesn't prevent anything. It it is a surgery that solves a very small number of very specific medical conditions in a very few number of people.

Those are hardly deplorable statistics, nor are they generalizable for every nation. With every surgery comes risk. Even something as simple of the removal of a child's tonsils comes with risk. 1 death for every 10,000 circumcisions is quite good, especially when dealing with such a sensitive part of the body.

I'm circumcised and my penis has never cracked nor bled and I highly doubt that it will. As has been proven in this thread, scientists themselves can't actually agree on the he purpose of foreskin.

Tell that to a parent and see what their reaction is.

It is that same logic that keeps me from wanting or even giving a shit about circumcising my own children. I don't want them to be one of the unlucky ones. Even 1 in 10,000 is a great risk in my mind.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Forsakia wrote:
Viritica wrote:Those are hardly deplorable statistics, nor are they generalizable for every nation. With every surgery comes risk. Even something as simple of the removal of a child's tonsils comes with risk. 1 death for every 10,000 circumcisions is quite good, especially when dealing with such a sensitive part of the body.

I'm circumcised and my penis has never cracked nor bled and I highly doubt that it will. As has been proven in this thread, scientists themselves can't actually agree on the he purpose of foreskin.

I sort of feel that the burden of proof should be on the people who want to cut bits off children to show it's necessary.

Proof has already been provided. Like, a million fucking times over. Go back and find it.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm

The Fascist American Empire wrote:
Greater Femocracy wrote:
You missed the main point of my post.
Try again.

NAZIS. Sorry, once you say that word (or more accurately acronym, but whatever), especially in a positive respect, you've lost the argument. Doesn't matter who you're talking to.

Mentioning nazis doesn't make you loose the argument. Try again.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Viritica wrote:Those are hardly deplorable statistics, nor are they generalizable for every nation. With every surgery comes risk. Even something as simple of the removal of a child's tonsils comes with risk. 1 death for every 10,000 circumcisions is quite good, especially when dealing with such a sensitive part of the body.

I think that it might have served a purpose when man was evolving, but now… well, it's just gone the way of the appendix, almost useless.

Agreed. Very possible it was intended to keep dirt or something from getting to he penis, but we have clothes now......
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:

Tell that to a parent and see what their reaction is.

It is that same logic that keeps me from wanting or even giving a shit about circumcising my own children. I don't want them to be one of the unlucky ones. Even 1 in 10,000 is a great risk in my mind.

If the parents don't want their child circumcised then so be it. No one's forcing them to do anything.

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm tired of winning arguments. I'm looking to loose an argument. Any takers?

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse wrote:I'm tired of winning arguments. I'm looking to loose an argument. Any takers?

Please take your arrogance somewhere else.

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 pm

The Four Taxmen of the Apocalypse wrote:I'm tired of winning arguments. I'm looking to loose an argument. Any takers?

Well this thread has now gone the way of Godwin's Law, so I'm not sure if you'll end up losing at all. :lol2:
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:48 pm

I think that it might have served a purpose when man was evolving, but now… well, it's just gone the way of the appendix, almost useless.

The appendix has a role in certain digestive cultures I think I read last time I did some research on the topic.

And well, the foreskin is basically an evolutionary trait to protect the glans penis from the elements and the acidity of the amniotic fluid and uterus/vagina in developmental stages. Again, don't take me at word, it's been a while since I have studied it in detail.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Kyuji
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Dorsal cuts are in most cases, where circumcision is recomended, just as effective as circumcisions
Pro :Voluntary Cannibalism (in other words the kind where people willingly offer themselves up as food) , Freedom of speech , The Austro-Hungarian Empire , The Ottoman Empire , Taoism , Gay Marriage, Martial Arts , Madoka , Kyubey
Anti :Racism , Israel , Homphobia , Bigotry , North Korea , Krav Maga, Russia

Forsakia
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Viritica wrote:
Forsakia wrote:
I sort of feel that the burden of proof should be on the people who want to cut bits off children to show it's necessary.

Proof has already been provided. Like, a million fucking times over. Go back and find it.

Hardly, at very best you've gotten a draw (and that's being kind), certainly haven't demonstrated medically beneficial justification for it and have avoided arguments about risk with the response that it hasn't happened to you (i.e. missing the point of risk).
Last edited by Forsakia on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of Arch's fan club.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Viritica wrote:If the parents don't want their child circumcised then so be it. No one's forcing them to do anything.

It depends where you are in the world. In places where male circumcision is common, a hospital might circumcise your male child without your consent because it is assumed that it is what should be done by default, that it has to be opt out when it ought to be a procedure which is opt in. Insurance policies in some US states are choosing to not cover circumcision and make it an upfront cost, so this is less of a problem in those states.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Dalcaria wrote:
The Fascist American Empire wrote:I think that it might have served a purpose when man was evolving, but now… well, it's just gone the way of the appendix, almost useless.

Agreed. Very possible it was intended to keep dirt or something from getting to he penis, but we have clothes now......

And several of us live in places where tarmac is more common than dirt.

Although, it may have had something to do as well with the climate: humidity and heat spread airborne vectors like fungi and bacteria; which is something common in Africa where the first humans are purported to have come from.

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Dalcaria wrote:Agreed. Very possible it was intended to keep dirt or something from getting to he penis, but we have clothes now......

Although, it may have had something to do as well with the climate: humidity and heat spread airborne vectors like fungi and bacteria; which is something common in Africa where the first humans are purported to have come from.

Yeah, I think here we've got an odd mixture of things. Lots of sand some times of year though, and we aren't in the desert. :lol2:

Ah, that all makes some sense. I suspect there would have been threats like that in the Middle East as well, near the "Cradle of Life" (Euphrates and Tigris rivers I think), or perhaps some kinds of bugs. Lots of different possibilities.

Greater Femocracy
Attaché

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Femocracy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Viritica wrote:If the parents don't want their child circumcised then so be it. No one's forcing them to do anything.

Many thanks for the grant! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Lesbian, Femocratic, Imperialist, Militaristic, Totalitarian.
all (including Gays-Bisexuals-Transpersons), apart from lesbians that conform to our laws.
: None.
It's my own business! But very often the views expressed as In-Char are perfectly superposable to OoC.

Be very careful of “saints”, they are evil.

I am more interested to my consciousness than to the opinion of others.

I expect nothing. I fear no one. I am free.

Perfection is not a goal but a way.

The real problem is not to give answers but to ask the real questions.

Think evil isn't polite, but often you guess.

Who doesn't fight has already lost.

Who is always right, is wrong born.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Saiwania wrote:

It depends where you are in the world. In places where male circumcision is common, a hospital might circumcise your male child without your consent because it is assumed that it is what should be done by default, that it has to be opt out when it ought to be a procedure which is opt in. Insurance policies in some US states are choosing to not cover circumcision and make it an upfront cost, so this is less of a problem in those states.

I'm pretty sure doing something like that without the parent's consent is illegal.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Viritica wrote:I'm pretty sure doing something like that without the parent's consent is illegal.

Illegal stuff happens all the time and sure, you could sue a doctor or hospital for this happening; but unless you can afford a good attorney to win a case against a medical center which likely has more monetary resources- good luck with that.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Viritica wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

I'm pretty sure doing something like that without the parent's consent is illegal.

In Canada and most European countries, most likely. I have no idea how it works in the US though. Also, a nurse or a doctor who up and decided to do one anyways might do it, but that would be illegal still and they would (hopefully) be fired and banned from working in hospitals. Hopefully.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Dalcaria wrote:

Yeah, I think here we've got an odd mixture of things. Lots of sand some times of year though, and we aren't in the desert. :lol2:

Ah, that all makes some sense. I suspect there would have been threats like that in the Middle East as well, near the "Cradle of Life" (Euphrates and Tigris rivers I think), or perhaps some kinds of bugs. Lots of different possibilities.

There's also another hypothesis that stipulates that the foreskin aids in the capturing of certain hormones that promote protective behavior in males (http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 009-9567-6) Not sure how accurate that is though.

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Viritica wrote:I'm pretty sure doing something like that without the parent's consent is illegal.

Illegal stuff happens all the time and sure, you could sue a doctor or hospital for this happening; but unless you can afford a good attorney to win a case against a medical center which likely has more monetary resources- good luck with that.

I'm pretty sure you could just take the case to the police in most cases and just have the charged criminally. Also, in Canada we have Legal Aid which is supposed to help low income persons go to court. Of course, I don't believe I've heard of many (or any) cases like this, so I'm assuming that means most doctors and nurses in Canada have not done a circumcision without the parent's consent.

Dalcaria
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Dalcaria wrote:Yeah, I think here we've got an odd mixture of things. Lots of sand some times of year though, and we aren't in the desert. :lol2:

There's also another hypothesis that stipulates that the foreskin aids in the capturing of certain hormones that promote protective behavior in males (http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 009-9567-6) Not sure how accurate that is though.

:lol2: That's ironic since I'm cut, yet I can get pretty protective at times! Granted, I'm not some protein pounding, muscle covered beast, nor do I get into any fights, so I am somewhat tempered if you will. :lol: Still, an interesting theory nonetheless!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
The Fascist American Empire wrote:NAZIS. Sorry, once you say that word (or more accurately acronym, but whatever), especially in a positive respect, you've lost the argument. Doesn't matter who you're talking to.

Thats it I am calling Godwin.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Saiwania wrote:

That really wouldn't be too hard of a case.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Benuty wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

Thats it I am calling Godwin.

Who cares?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Viritica wrote:
Benuty wrote:Thats it I am calling Godwin.

Who cares?

You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more.
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General