NATION

PASSWORD

Voluntary Cannibalism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should voluntary cannibilism be legal?

No
71%
Yes (please explain)
29%

Total votes : 357

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Faruanickia wrote:For most people (including me) it goes without saying that consumption of human meat should be frowned upon and highly illegal, end of discussion. However, I have come across a few people (mostly liberals) who believe that "voluntary cannibalism" should be legal on the grounds of "freedom". I oppose all cannibalism including voluntary cannibalism. Not only is it completely immoral, but should the cannibal develop a taste for human meat then that may lead the person to kill for it. This is especially true if there is a shortage of voluntary human meat since very very very very few people would volunteer to be meals. The job of government is to maintain civil order and voluntary cannibalism goes against that order by putting the general public in danger. So do you think that voluntary cannibalism should be legal or illegal?

I agree with you, and also raise an additional concern: how does one distinguish voluntary from involuntary human meat? Methinks 'twould be simpler to just ban human meat.

By legalising it, we can allow the market to decide, and the government to redress any wrong from illegally procured flesh.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:04 pm

It depends on the circumstances of death.

Anyone healthy and willing to be slaughtered for his meat is clearly not sane enough to decide it. See also: suicide. Hence, this should remain illegal, to protect the insane from coming to harm.

But there is another case. We already allow the reusage of internal organs for medical practices, if the deceased previously gave his permission to use them. Why is the flesh so much different?
In case of a naturally occuring death, meaning a death unrelated to the decision of the donor to donate his flesh, it should be legal to donate your flesh just like you donate internal organs.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:I never really understood what was wrong with cannibalism in the first place.

Kuru.

How is that different from getting mad cow disease from contaminated meat?
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:07 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:The only time where cannibalism would be acceptable, to me, would be in a time of extreme starvation. Like at the Siege of Leningrad.

I wouldn't say its acceptable or unacceptable in that circumstance, just a fact of life.
Insert trite farewell here

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Britannic Realms wrote:
Tiltjuice wrote:
Kuru.

It's not. That's the point.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Dukats
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukats » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:12 pm

If you support cannibalism then let us eat you.

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:

It's not. That's the point.

So you suggest that we ban cows because they can get mad cow disease?
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:12 pm

NSG is just weird.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Dukats wrote:If you support cannibalism then let us eat you.

Supporting the right for people to sell their own flesh, as well as people to market that flesh, is not the same as supporting Cannibalism in general, something that I, personally, am profoundly indifferent about.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Scomagia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:The only time where cannibalism would be acceptable, to me, would be in a time of extreme starvation. Like at the Siege of Leningrad.

I wouldn't say its acceptable or unacceptable in that circumstance, just a fact of life.

That would be acceptable. Those in the besieged city of Leningrad were not punished (at least, when the person was already dead; a fairly large group of people were punished for hunting people in the city), and those in similar situations should not be punished for it either.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:17 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I wouldn't say its acceptable or unacceptable in that circumstance, just a fact of life.

That would be acceptable. Those in the besieged city of Leningrad were not punished (at least, when the person was already dead; a fairly large group of people were punished for hunting people in the city), and those in similar situations should not be punished for it either.

You just somehow manage to sneak a USSR reference into every thread, don't you?

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:18 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I wouldn't say its acceptable or unacceptable in that circumstance, just a fact of life.

I absolutely agree that, in those circumstances, people shouldn't be punished for doing what they must to survive. So long as people aren't being murdered for their tasty meat.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Viritica wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:That would be acceptable. Those in the besieged city of Leningrad were not punished (at least, when the person was already dead; a fairly large group of people were punished for hunting people in the city), and those in similar situations should not be punished for it either.

You just somehow manage to sneak a USSR reference into every thread, don't you?

You have to admit that it takes some skill to do it in a non hamfisted fashion.

United Christian America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Christian America » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:I never really understood what was wrong with cannibalism in the first place.

Kuru.

Not to mention the fact that when cases of voluntary cannibalism occurred, they were usually in the context of people about to starve to death:

Such as: http://www.history.com/topics/donner-party

Such events would possibly be associated with terrible times and horrific measures taken in the name of staying alive.

i'm assuming that we're not including 'living wills' in this, where people who were about to die from causes other than starvation specifically agreed to be eaten, or at least did not strongly object.

On the other hand, how can make absolutely sure that people will agree to be eaten instead of being tricked into becoming the next plate of soylent green?

This user votes no.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.05

We are officially the Christian Democratic Republic of United Christian America, and this sentence will stay here until I can express that properly.
United Christian Alliance(UCA) member
Crusadin' for a Better Tomorrow!

*OOC Sigh* If this nation were real, then this world would be a horrible place since this nation exists. That should tell you what I really think about this nation and its views.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Viritica wrote:You just somehow manage to sneak a USSR reference into every thread, don't you?

You have to admit that it takes some skill to do it in a non hamfisted fashion.

I find it both disturbing and impressive. I wonder if he says "Goodmorning, Lenin" when he wakes up every morning.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Viritica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:You have to admit that it takes some skill to do it in a non hamfisted fashion.

I find it both disturbing and impressive. I wonder if he says "Goodmorning, Lenin" when he wakes up every morning.

The really impressive feat is if he can slip the references in during sex.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Viritica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:You have to admit that it takes some skill to do it in a non hamfisted fashion.

No, it's just that if we're going to talk about cannibalism, instances of starvation are going to come up. And, should those mentioned, the consequences of Nazism serve as, regrettably, useful examples.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Viritica wrote:I find it both disturbing and impressive. I wonder if he says "Goodmorning, Lenin" when he wakes up every morning.

The really impressive feat is if he can slip the references in during sex.

"Oh, yes, it feels better than raising the Soviet flag over Berlin!"

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Cannibalism is just the same as eating animal meat.
But I don't like cannibalism and I think it should be banned even though banning it is hypocritical.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Kyuji
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Personally I think it should be allowed .
Pro :Voluntary Cannibalism (in other words the kind where people willingly offer themselves up as food) , Freedom of speech , The Austro-Hungarian Empire , The Ottoman Empire , Taoism , Gay Marriage, Martial Arts , Madoka , Kyubey
Anti :Racism , Israel , Homphobia , Bigotry , North Korea , Krav Maga, Russia

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Viritica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:The really impressive feat is if he can slip the references in during sex.

:clap: Well done sir.
Last edited by Scomagia on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Faruanickia wrote:So do you think that voluntary cannibalism should be legal or illegal?

Hell yeah. I'd eat a grilled human sandwich.

Such meat would be expensive due to scarcity, but it would be a great meal for special occasions. Skip the cake on my birthday, bring me a nice human stake.

I think you should be allowed to have your body processed into meat products and sold upon your death. Some of the profits should be given to your family (was this an NS issue? This seems vaguely familiar.)

Dukats
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukats » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Viritica wrote:
Scomagia wrote:The really impressive feat is if he can slip the references in during sex.

"Baby, my penis is as big as the USSR."

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:30 pm

If someone who can be found to be of sound mind voluntarily wishes to place their own flesh on the open market, either before or after their death, and it can be guaranteed that eating their flesh isn't going to make anyone sick (assuming that it's prepared appropriately), I don't see any problem with it.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Kyuji wrote:Personally I think it should be allowed .

Care to elaborate?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General