NATION

PASSWORD

The scourge of Measles and class Anti-Vaxx trolls

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

The scourge of Measles and class Anti-Vaxx trolls

Postby Benuty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 am

NYT-Ashley Gilbertson
A rare outbreak of measles in New York City may have been spread by the failure of medical workers to recognize the disease quickly enough and to quarantine patients so they would not infect others, a city epidemiologist said this week.

Dr. Jay Varma, the health department’s deputy commissioner for disease control, said the department’s investigators were looking at whether some of the 20 confirmed cases, which are concentrated in northern Manhattan, might have resulted from exposure in medical facilities. Measles is one of the most contagious diseases and can be spread through airborne respiratory droplets even two hours after an infected person has left the room.

“We know a number of people were exposed and possibly got their infection either at a doctor’s office or at an emergency room where they went and it took more time than it should have for them to be put in an isolation area where they couldn’t possibly infect anyone else,” Dr. Varma said.

The first known case of the disease was detected in early February.

Dr. Varma declined to identify any medical facilities, saying that such exposure in a hospital was not unusual and that “we are not trying to shame any one institution.” But he said this route of exposure could make it harder to contain and to track the outbreak, because it was not concentrated in any one social or cultural circle, as contagious diseases often are.

A health department spokeswoman said that no cases had been traced to a hospital, but on March 12, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center sent an email to its staff saying several pediatric and adult patients with measles had sought treatment there, “resulting in nearly 600 patients being potentially exposed to measles.” The email went on to say, “Many of our clinical staff have never seen a case of measles.”

It attached graphic photographs of children with bright red measles rashes covering their bodies and detailed instructions about how to diagnose measles. The attachment said that any patients suspected of having measles should immediately be given a mask and taken with family members to an isolation room.

It said security guards had been posted at doors to look for patients with symptoms of measles and to direct them to put on masks.

Dr. Yoko Furuya, medical director of infection prevention and control at NewYork-Presbyterian, said on Monday that the hospital system had treated 10 measles cases. She said some patients might have been exposed to others for a few minutes.

Myrna Manners, a spokeswoman for NewYork-Presbyterian, said that “to the best of our knowledge, none of the patients who were seen in our emergency room got measles here in our emergency room.” She said that the hospital was reaching out to all 600 people potentially exposed “out of an abundance of caution.”

In early March, Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx hospitalized a 15-month-old child with measles, who had missed being vaccinated because of illness, said Dr. Nathan Litman, its chief of pediatric infectious diseases. Dr. Litman said the child, who has recovered, was exposed in Washington Heights.

The first symptom of measles is fever, followed by a cough; runny nose; red, watery eyes; and a rash. People can be contagious before the rash appears, and are advised to stay away from other people for 21 days after being exposed. Measles can lead to ear infection, diarrhea, pneumonia, miscarriage, brain inflammation and even death.

Since the outbreak was detected, nine children and 11 adults have been infected: 16 Manhattan residents, three Bronx residents and one Brooklyn resident.

Dr. Varma said the first two cases were in adults who had traveled outside New York and who did not know each other but were probably infected at the same airport in the United States. He declined to identify the airport. Both had activities that brought them to northern Manhattan and that included health care facilities, he said, declining to provide more details.

Only three of the 11 had records proving they had been vaccinated, though others believed they had been. In rare instances, a vaccinated person can become infected later in life.

Of the nine children, seven were too young to be vaccinated or within the window of 12 to 15 months old when the vaccination is recommended. The other two were from families in which the parents refused to allow the vaccination.

Because of federally financed childhood vaccination programs, measles has been considered effectively eliminated in the United States since 2000. However, there are periodic outbreaks, usually among unvaccinated people who have traveled to foreign countries, where measles is still common. Some parents refuse to have their children vaccinated for religious reasons and others because of a belief that vaccines can cause autism, though no link has ever been proved.

On March 14, the Los Angeles County health department confirmed 10 measles cases in the county, eight of them linked to international travel.

Last year, there were 58 cases among Orthodox Jews in Borough Park and Williamsburg, Brooklyn, beginning with an intentionally unvaccinated 17-year-old who had returned from London.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

http://gothamist.com/2014/03/19/measles_outbreak.php
http://www.refinery29.com/2014/03/64428 ... s-outbreak

Well the trolls strike again and this is not the only report of measles outbreaks exploding throughout the United States from sea to shining sea. This is freaking ridiculous and frankly nonsense especially among those who believe in the so called theory of "vaccine induced autism". As for the religious especially Jews it makes me ashamed to be an observant Jew and hear things like that.

What say you NSG's unleavened and leavened masses?
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 am

Ignorance is not a pretty thing.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Stovokor
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovokor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:30 am

Viritica wrote:
Stovokor wrote:
Not when that decision harms the state and puts their child's life in danger.

Harms the state how exactly?

Carrying this over.

The state exists because of it's citizenry, a parents endangerment of it's child is both detrimental to the child as well as the state. This is why faith healings can get you jailed and why child endangerment exists.
If i'm responding to you directly, it is generally safe to disregard everything that was said and assume i'm calling you a twit.
I Roleplay as such my nation is not a representation of my political, economic, and spiritual beliefs.

Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am

Stovokor wrote:
Viritica wrote:Harms the state how exactly?

Carrying this over.

The state exists because of it's citizenry, a parents endangerment of it's child is both detrimental to the child as well as the state. This is why faith healings can get you jailed and why child endangerment exists.

They're not intentionally endangering their children. They're doing what they believe is best which is not a crime.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:31 am

Shouldn't this hypothetically be merged with the other anti-vaccination thread?
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Bythibus
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bythibus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 am

Hey, remember that time that New Zealand had those anti-vaxxers block vaccines and as a result Measles or whatever it was is still a big problem in at least 10% of the population?

Good times... Good times...
Hyper-extension of the ego of a megalomaniac female with a strong desire for ruling the world.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 am

Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Shouldn't this hypothetically be merged with the other anti-vaccination thread?

The one being gravedigged from October 2013?
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Post-Keynesian Economics
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Keynesian Economics » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 am

Benuty wrote:
Post-Keynesian Economics wrote:Shouldn't this hypothetically be merged with the other anti-vaccination thread?

The one being gravedigged?

Ah, just caught that. My mistake.
"Will capitalist economies operate at full employment in the absence of routine intervention? Certainly not. Are deviations from full employment a social problem? Obviously." - Janet Yellen

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 am

Bythibus wrote:Hey, remember that time that New Zealand had those anti-vaxxers block vaccines and as a result Measles or whatever it was is still a big problem in at least 10% of the population?

Good grief... it is almost like they want to go back to Smallpox, Polio, and Influenza being a daily basis.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 am

I'm all for getting vaccinated when necessary but make no mistake, I'm not for doing so every year because it costs money. Once every 5 or 10+ years should be fine for my purposes.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Bythibus
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bythibus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:47 am

Benuty wrote:
Bythibus wrote:Hey, remember that time that New Zealand had those anti-vaxxers block vaccines and as a result Measles or whatever it was is still a big problem in at least 10% of the population?

Good grief... it is almost like they want to go back to Smallpox, Polio, and Influenza being a daily basis.

Nothing says "the good old days" like a healthy dose of Spanish Flu.
Hyper-extension of the ego of a megalomaniac female with a strong desire for ruling the world.

Stovokor
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovokor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 am

Viritica wrote:
Stovokor wrote:
Carrying this over.

They're not intentionally endangering their children. They're doing what they believe is best which is not a crime.

It is when it leads to the harm of the child.
If i'm responding to you directly, it is generally safe to disregard everything that was said and assume i'm calling you a twit.
I Roleplay as such my nation is not a representation of my political, economic, and spiritual beliefs.

Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

Brickistan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Brickistan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 am

Viritica wrote:
Stovokor wrote:
Carrying this over.

But they are doing just that. Refusing to vaccinate is willfully and intentionally endangering your child.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 am

Viritica wrote:
Stovokor wrote:
Carrying this over.

And if i'm fucking crazy enough to think cutting my child and sticking my dick in them is in their best interest that's not a crime?

Come off it. These people have endangered their children. Whether or not they thought it best isn't very relevant. It's widely accepted that they are being insane by doing this, so we should act accordingly and place the children in protective custody, and if necessary institutionalize the parents for chronic stupidity and whatever other crippling conditions they have. (I would not be at all surprised to learn that anti-vaxxers have something wrong with them in mental health terms to explain their bizarre decision. At the point where their illness has effectively caused them to injure other people, they must be institutionalized to protect the public.)
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 am

Saiwania wrote:I'm all for getting vaccinated when necessary but make no mistake, I'm not for doing so every year because it costs money. Once every 5 or 10+ years should be fine for my purposes.

Wait...what country do you live in where vaccines aren't covered by the state or insurance?

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Benuty wrote:Wait...what country do you live in where vaccines aren't covered by the state or insurance?

I'm specifically choosing not to have health insurance, being that it will be far cheaper if I'm never sick. Barring some major pandemic, I see no compelling reason to stay up to date so far as vaccines go. I'm rejecting Obamacare.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Benuty wrote:Wait...what country do you live in where vaccines aren't covered by the state or insurance?

I'm specifically choosing not to have health insurance, being that it will be far cheaper if I'm never sick. Barring some major pandemic, I see no compelling reason to stay up to date so far as vaccines go. I'm rejecting Obamacare.

Be sure to check in when you get sick so we can give you your Darwin award. If you make it to 60 before that happens, i'm sure the survivors can rustle up some kind of equivalent prize.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Brickistan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Brickistan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Saiwania wrote:

And then what will happen on the day when you do get sick?

Not getting vaccinated - indeed, not having health coverage in general - is stupid in the extreme. Especially since every unvaccinated individual compromises herd immunity.

United Counties of Maine
Attaché

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Counties of Maine » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Yes, lets reject 80+ years of scientific and medical studies because some fraud in the UK said MMR vaccines caused autism... and then later got his license to practice medicine revoked. Do tinfoil hats protect against Measles?

The fact these nurses and doctors were not able to diagnose Measles should tell you right there that vaccination works. Before the vaccines came out almost everyone got Measles.

My grandmother on my mother's side contracted Polio before there was a vaccine for it. She is still living so I know first-hand what these diseases look like and can do. They aren't "not a big deal". You can bet she would've rather had the vaccine if it had been available.

All one needs to do around here is take a walk through some of the old cemeteries (I live in Maine). There are graves of entire families wiped out by Diphtheria, smallpox, influenza, etc, all around the New England region.
Our second told so well
That their fore and mizzen fell,
Which doused the royal ensign
Neat and handy, O!
"By George!" says he, "We're done!"
And they fired a lee gun
While the Yankees struck up
Yankee Doodle Dandy, O!

European Socialist Republic
Senator

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby European Socialist Republic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 pm

But what about a parent's freedom to have their children get sick and die from easily preventable diseases?
Economic Left/Right: -7
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.9
I am a far-left moderate social libertarian.
Left: 9.13
Libertarian: 2.62
Non-interventionalist: 7.34
Cultural liberal: 9.12
I am a Trotskyist.
Cosmopolitan: 71%
Secular: 80%
Visionary: 62%
Anarchistic: 43%
Communistic: 78%
Pacifist: 40%
Anthropocentric: 50%

Legalize Tyranny, Impeach the Twenty-second Amendment, Term Limits are Theft, Barack Obama 2016!
HOI4

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 pm

"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 pm

So what are you advocating then?
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Brickistan wrote:And then what will happen on the day when you do get sick?

Not getting vaccinated - indeed, not having health coverage in general - is stupid in the extreme. Especially since every unvaccinated individual compromises herd immunity.

The difference of course, is that I've been vaccinated before. That is better than nothing.

So far as health insurance goes, there are plenty of reasons why young people aren't signing up for Obamacare. Consider the fact that 7 out of 10 coming out of graduate school have an average student loan debt of $29,400 and youth unemployment is at 16.3%, getting health insurance is quite simply the last thing on young people's minds as opposed to paying for bills and other daily necessities.

The Obama administration was so out of touch to expect Millennials to pay into Obamacare to subsidize Baby Boomers when a lot of Millenials have yet to even move out of their parents' house in this bad economy and generally aren't earning a whole lot given that they are only in their early careers.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte

European Socialist Republic
Senator

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby European Socialist Republic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Benuty wrote:

What do you propose then fencing off the sick like cattle?

We could always rebuild the leprosy settlements on Hawaii.
Economic Left/Right: -7
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.9
I am a far-left moderate social libertarian.
Left: 9.13
Libertarian: 2.62
Non-interventionalist: 7.34
Cultural liberal: 9.12
I am a Trotskyist.
Cosmopolitan: 71%
Secular: 80%
Visionary: 62%
Anarchistic: 43%
Communistic: 78%
Pacifist: 40%
Anthropocentric: 50%

Legalize Tyranny, Impeach the Twenty-second Amendment, Term Limits are Theft, Barack Obama 2016!
HOI4

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:39 pm

European Socialist Republic wrote:
Benuty wrote:What do you propose then fencing off the sick like cattle?

We could always rebuild the leprosy settlements on Hawaii.

Well thalidomide thankfully has ended the need that, I suppose we could prepare iron lung facilities for Polio patients like the US had to till the 1970's.
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General