NATION

PASSWORD

Bob Crow Dies at 52

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Bob Crow Dies at 52

Postby Angleter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26527325

General secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union Bob Crow has died.

The 52-year-old is believed to have suffered a heart attack and died in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

London Mayor Boris Johnson, with whom he clashed over plans for the Tube, said: "I am shocked. Bob Crow was a fighter and a man of character."

Labour leader Ed Miliband said he was "a major figure in the Labour movement and was loved and deeply respected by his members".

Mr Crow was elected general secretary of the RMT in 2002 following the death of former leader Jimmy Knapp.

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said Mr Crow "was, some argue, the most successful union leader in terms of securing jobs and pay for his members".

He is understood to have been due at a TUC executive awayday in Surrey on Monday, but was unable to attend because he was feeling unwell.

Very sad, shocking news. Thoughts and prayers with his family. I liked Bob Crow - he always struck me as a good old-school union leader. He seemed more focussed than any other contemporary union leader on his own turf, so to speak, of defending the interests of RMT members, and he was usually straight-talking yet also articulate when doing so. Moreover, it seems that he was successful, as well. The whole continuing to live in a council house when he was earning £145k a year wasn't brilliant, but there we go.

Anyway, NSGers - particularly Londoners, I suppose, since you'll have dealt with the effects of his work more than anyone else - thoughts on the man, his work, and his legacy?
Last edited by Angleter on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 am

Honestly, I'm just like him, although my gripe is specifically about the pace of technology and the dying role of the good old Post Office. :(

Estormo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estormo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 am

Can't say I agreed with what he said about Thatcher.
......ϟ Elven Supremacy is the only Truth! ϟ......
French Male, the women call me Goldenrod. I am a Roman Catholic, also an Opera, Wine, Fashion, and Classical music aficionado.
I am neither "Left" or "Right", but I am syncretic. I agree with both sides on certain issues and disagree with both sides on certain issues. There would be too much to explain, if you would like to know my views on certain things, then go to my factbook. Or just see me on NSG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsY4vK2BUzg

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 am

For some reason I saw Bob Crow and thought about Jim Crow.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Patriarch
Envoy

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Patriarch » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:32 am

Benuty wrote:For some reason I saw Bob Crow and thought about Jim Crow.

Americocentrism FTW

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 am

Patriarch wrote:
Benuty wrote:For some reason I saw Bob Crow and thought about Jim Crow.

Americocentrism FTW

Racial segregation is not solely american institution.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:34 am

Benuty wrote:
Patriarch wrote:
Americocentrism FTW

Racial segregation is not solely american institution.

Jim Crow is.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:36 am

The Time Alliance wrote:
Benuty wrote:Racial segregation is not solely american institution.

Jim Crow is.

Jim Crow is a black stereotypes minstrel character. The Jim Crow Laws on the other-hand.
Last edited by Benuty on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:40 am

Benuty wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:Jim Crow is.

Jim Crow is a black stereotypes minstrel character. The Jim Crow Laws on the other-hand.

Where do you think it all came from?

Estormo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estormo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:49 am

The Time Alliance wrote:
Benuty wrote:Jim Crow is a black stereotypes minstrel character. The Jim Crow Laws on the other-hand.

Where do you think it all came from?

You blokes are getting a bit off topic.
......ϟ Elven Supremacy is the only Truth! ϟ......
French Male, the women call me Goldenrod. I am a Roman Catholic, also an Opera, Wine, Fashion, and Classical music aficionado.
I am neither "Left" or "Right", but I am syncretic. I agree with both sides on certain issues and disagree with both sides on certain issues. There would be too much to explain, if you would like to know my views on certain things, then go to my factbook. Or just see me on NSG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsY4vK2BUzg

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:51 am

Estormo wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:Where do you think it all came from?

You blokes are getting a bit off topic.

Not exactly the topic does say Crow [sarcasm]. Nevertheless, it seems a bygone era is finally starting to die [no pun intended].

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 am

Damn he was the same age as me.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 am

Poor guy. 52 is a pretty young age. He'll be missed.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General