NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown? Not any more!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who To Blame?

Obama
12%
House Republicans
46%
House Democrats
4%
Senate Republicans
6%
Senate Democrats
8%
Speaker Boehner
24%

Total votes : 517

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Now I won't be able to get free lunch anymore until the government reopens.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:35 pm

GrandKirche wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Okay. Show me the numbers of America's increasing debt with Obamacare, and without it. Back up your assertions with numbers.

I'm going to go with the debt ceiling being about to run out again.

I don't give a flying fig about Obamacare tbh, you need to make cuts, when you've told the rest of the world how to run their affairs, first in first out was a pretty common rule.

You...don't know what the debt ceiling is, or how it works, do you?

Maybe ASB or someone else who enjoys giving detailed, thoughtful, and well-sourced explanations of why people are horrifyingly wrong can help you with that. And since you don't have the numbers to show what effect the ACA will have on the economy, you've essentially acknowledged that you have no argument whatsoever.

GrandKirche
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GrandKirche » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:35 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
GrandKirche wrote:
I'm going to go with the debt ceiling being about to run out again.

wholly arbitrary fiscal limits Bachmann!

When you can afford your country's expenses, you're not borrowing, and don't hit the ceiling.
Read "A Man For All Seasons". That explains most of what I believe in. Except the Catholic bits.

Outside of here I do lead a rather unusual and colourful life. As a Spinster.

I just want a nice man with a good accent and the manners of a Royal.

British, a really cliché G in LGBTQ gentleman a lot of the time.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:35 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:
Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Better than paying someone to go shoot brown people.

At least the panda webcam provides value to the public.

I don't know what context this is in but it appears you are advocating pandas and the execution of black people equally.

For the record I'm against shooting either except perhaps in self defense. But yeah, not sure what brown peole is supposed to refer to either, is he talking mideast, mexico, the jersey shore cast? I don't know. ;)
Last edited by Llamalandia on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Kalgeron wrote:If Obama isn't willing to negotiate on anything then shut the whole thing down. Rather than broker compromises and do what the American people voted him into office to do he has acted like a 5 year old and declared that he doesn't wanna play anymore if he doesn't get everything 100% his way. 2016 is getting closer and his two terms are up. Then we can put the 8 years of I refuse to negotiate (his job) behind us.

Except Obama can't negotiate. He's the President. He can't write legislation.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
The Democrats are willing to negotiate?

The Democrats didn't show up to negotiate.

My god.

That staged photo op absolutely supports your assertion.

I'll have to rethink everything now.

I was prepared to do some lampshade hanging to note that I knew it clearly wasn't a game-changing source, but you've about voided that by telling us Xenu confirmed it was a staged photo op.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm

GrandKirche wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
wholly arbitrary fiscal limits Bachmann!

When you can afford your country's expenses, you're not borrowing, and don't hit the ceiling.

Plenty of other countries with greater GDP-Debt ratios seem to be doing quite well without a debt ceiling.

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.

Kalgeron
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalgeron » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Kalgeron wrote:
We do have proportional (based on population) representation in the house where Republicans have more seats than Democrats. We do not have proportional representation in the senate (2 senators per state) where Democrats have more seats than Republicans, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Hawaii gets just as many senators as California which is in no way proportional to their populations.

Just because someone gets elected president (not emperor) does not give them a mandate to do whatever they like. Every president has to go through congress and the senate to compromise and negotiate for what they want done.

And he did that three years ago, when the law was passed. Also see my other comments above.

Well now he has to negotiate and compromise if he wants any money from congress. If they make repealing the healthcare bill one of the bargaining chips then it is a bargaining chip. It isn't magically exempt.
Capitalism is man exploiting man; Communism is just the opposite.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Mkuki wrote:
Kalgeron wrote:If Obama isn't willing to negotiate on anything then shut the whole thing down. Rather than broker compromises and do what the American people voted him into office to do he has acted like a 5 year old and declared that he doesn't wanna play anymore if he doesn't get everything 100% his way. 2016 is getting closer and his two terms are up. Then we can put the 8 years of I refuse to negotiate (his job) behind us.

He is head of his party, and he has veto power he is part of negoiations.

He can partially duck until the senate ever passes the budget with a delay the mandate provisions.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

GrandKirche
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GrandKirche » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Mkuki wrote:
GrandKirche wrote:

Plenty of other countries with greater GDP-Debt ratios seem to be doing quite well without a debt ceiling.

Because they are trusted to pay the money back.
Read "A Man For All Seasons". That explains most of what I believe in. Except the Catholic bits.

Outside of here I do lead a rather unusual and colourful life. As a Spinster.

I just want a nice man with a good accent and the manners of a Royal.

British, a really cliché G in LGBTQ gentleman a lot of the time.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

GrandKirche wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=16802663#p16802663

Also, our economy has been improving significantly for years.

You still haven't got the money. America is relying on increasing debt. That's the point at which you'd be telling the honourable land of anywhere else to reform or no money for you.

Jesus Christ, that's not how government finances work.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

greed and death wrote:
Mkuki wrote:Except Obama can't negotiate. He's the President. He can't write legislation.

He is head of his party, and he has veto power he is part of negoiations.

He can partially duck until the senate ever passes the budget with a delay the mandate provisions.

So? It's not the President's job to negotiate with Republicans. That's what Democratic congresspeople are supposed to be doing.

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
My god.

I was prepared to do some lampshade hanging to note that I knew it clearly wasn't a game-changing source, but you've about voided that by telling us Xenu confirmed it was a staged photo op.

Its clearly a staged photo op. the way you can tell is that there's a fucking camera man at a "genuine" opportunity for negotiations.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Mkuki wrote:

No but he has leverage both as a memeber of the dem party and as POTUS he can sign or veto any legislation, if he signals a veto as he has it tends to influence the way members of congress write bills nad which way they vote if he agrees not to veto same thing in the other direction. ;)

Kalgeron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalgeron » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Mkuki wrote:

He does sign legislation into law or veto it however.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
My god.

Well, in a contest between the House GOP and the guy who stacked the bodies of his enemies around volcanoes until the volcanoes blew up and became engrams...or something...I'm going with the Evil Space Emperor.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 pm

GrandKirche wrote:
Mkuki wrote:Plenty of other countries with greater GDP-Debt ratios seem to be doing quite well without a debt ceiling.

Because they are trusted to pay the money back.

What? The ones I'm talking about have debts larger than their GDP. There's really no reason to trust them more than the United States government.

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Kalgeron wrote:
We do have proportional (based on population) representation in the house where Republicans have more seats than Democrats. We do not have proportional representation in the senate (2 senators per state) where Democrats have more seats than Republicans, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Hawaii gets just as many senators as California which is in no way proportional to their populations.

Just because someone gets elected president (not emperor) does not give them a mandate to do whatever they like. Every president has to go through congress and the senate to compromise and negotiate for what they want done.

And he did that three years ago, when the law was passed. Also see my other comments above.

Since then Republicans have been elected to the house until 2022, so they get a say in how that law is implemented.

No one cried foul when the democrats used the defense budget to pass a hate crimes bill. At least the Republicans know how to man up and play politics instead of crying every-time someone dares to use the tricks to pass things they don't like.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:

Its clearly a staged photo op. the way you can tell is that there's a fucking camera man at a "genuine" opportunity for negotiations.

A photo with a story seen only on a Congressman's Twitter proves that the GOP has been plotting this one since Clinton.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well, in a contest between the House GOP and the guy who stacked the bodies of his enemies around volcanoes until the volcanoes blew up and became engrams...or something...I'm going with the Evil Space Emperor.

Are you kidding me, the GOP has Darth Cheney on it's side for crying out lout, I'm sure he could take out an army of xenus thetans or whatever and then some. :lol:

Kalgeron
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalgeron » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
The Silver Bloods wrote:This is not the Republicans fault, it is the fault of both parties and it isn't the end of the world. The shutdown was because of a standoff between Republicans AND Democrats. It is a temporary shut down which shuts down all non essential US government services. I don't think it is a good thing but I shouldn't be blamed on just the Republicans because people don't like it.

No. This is not the fault of Obama, nor is it the fault of both the Republicans and the Democrats.

The Democrats proposed a bill. It was passed by both houses of Congress, and signed into law. The law was challenged on Constitutional grounds, and was upheld by the highest court in the land. The GOP then ran a candidate for President who promised to repeal the law. He lost by a significant margin. They have attempted nearly fifty repeals of the law. All of them failed. Now the Republicans are playing havoc with people's lives by shutting down the government until this bill that has passed through every single facet of our constitutional representative democracy's system of checks and balances is modified somehow? No. There is nothing to negotiate. They had several opportunities to repeal, overhaul, or otherwise get rid of the AHCA, and they failed at all of them. This isn't about two sides refusing to compromise. This is about one side refusing to accept the consequences of failure on their part.

Nothing is ever really settled in Washington. If Congress wants to attempt to repeal the healthcare bill for the next 20 years that is their right. It's not like something gets made a law and is never repealed or altered ever again.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
GrandKirche wrote:
You still haven't got the money. America is relying on increasing debt. That's the point at which you'd be telling the honourable land of anywhere else to reform or no money for you.

It is how government fiances until the mandate is repealed.
Barack Obama

The Silver Bloods
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Silver Bloods » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Mainly this problem started because the Democrats and Obama refuse to negotiate with the Republicans. If the two parties came up with a compromise there wouldn't even be a shut down.

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:43 pm

I like how Google's logo is Yosemite even though it's closed because of the shutdown XP
Last edited by Blekksprutia on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 pm

greed and death wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

It is how government fiances until the mandate is repealed.

Haha, touche.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General