NATION

PASSWORD

The Official Syria (and all things about it) Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Luveria wrote:
Divair wrote:You know what would be hilarious/sad?

Assad tells the West he'd give up his chemical weapons if the rebels stopped occupying the bases with chemical weapons. Suddenly Russian intervention.

I don't think Russia has forgotten their last adventure in Afghanistan.

They've learned. Or maybe not and Russia will get to play the guerrilla war game this time.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Divair wrote:
Luveria wrote:I don't think Russia has forgotten their last adventure in Afghanistan.

They've learned. Or maybe not and Russia will get to play the guerrilla war game this time.

Or maybe Russia would actually look up and see who has popular support this time around, and force Assad to compromise with Kurds, et al.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:They've learned. Or maybe not and Russia will get to play the guerrilla war game this time.

Or maybe Russia would actually look up and see who has popular support this time around, and force Assad to compromise with Kurds, et al.

Assad giving up land and forcing neighboring countries to form Kurdistan.

Coming to a cinema near you. Summer 2014.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Assad giving up land and forcing neighboring countries to form Kurdistan. Coming to a cinema near you. Summer 2014.

Who said he has to care about neighboring countries? Iran has their Kurds in check, Iraqi Kurdistan is autonomous, and Syria doesn't care about Turkey. As for giving up land, well, he doesn't exactly control most of Kurdish Land, so it's not like he'll be giving it up.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:Assad giving up land and forcing neighboring countries to form Kurdistan. Coming to a cinema near you. Summer 2014.

Who said he has to care about neighboring countries? Iran has their Kurds in check, Iraqi Kurdistan is autonomous, and Syria doesn't care about Turkey. As for giving up land, well, he doesn't exactly control most of Kurdish Land, so it's not like he'll be giving it up.

God, you people have no sense of humour.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

God, you people have no sense of humour.

Yep, I guess we're being a bit too Syrias about this :P

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:God, you people have no sense of humour.

Assad you people have no sense of humour.

Puns ahoy.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Assad you people have no sense of humour. Puns ahoy.

The ex-Israeli Resident is creating a punny Insurgency in da thread!

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:Assad you people have no sense of humour. Puns ahoy.

You could say I'm the Pun Defense Force.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

You could say I'm the Pun Defense Force.

Do you happen to possess laughing gas?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:You could say I'm the Pun Defense Force.

Yes, I frequently fire funphorus gas at schools.
Last edited by Divair on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Is that why you'd only get the OK, in the UK, for an Asylum? :P

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:They've learned. Or maybe not and Russia will get to play the guerrilla war game this time.

You do realise Syria armed the PKK with Iranian help, whilst the current Assad is actually increasingly on good terms with the YPG? Both are increasingly coming closer together. Read Kurdish sites to better learn just how vile the FSA was to Rojava that the YPG went from neutral to all out war with all insurgents.

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!
Imperialism makes monsters out of Man. - Comrade Ernesto Che Guevara.
Allah, Souriya, Bashar w bas! - EPIC
Basically, this. Our form of gov..
NS wars: 1/1/1/1.
USSR/Yugo HDIs 1992 - Haters are going to hate
EPIC 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Hezbollah Compass TRUTH

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:Yes, I frequently fire funphorus gas at schools.

They had a severe shortage of clowns with licensed mortars.

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Funphorous gas lol! I wish I had more space to signature this. :rofl:
Last edited by Souriya Al-Assad on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Human Beings are humans, not property.Corporations, (Corporate Property), is property; it is not a human being.Once we understand these two simple concepts, we can move on as a society. - Shofercia | What I believe besides agreeing with the above: Corporations/Conglomerates are vile scum that need to be nationalised, centralised, collectivised as well as redistributed directly back to the masses themselves to control via popular committees. Vive le Communisme! Vive l'idéologie Mathaba!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

They had a severe shortage of clowns with licensed mortars.

Nicely played. I like the double meaning of mortar pun :D

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Luveria wrote:I don't think Russia has forgotten their last adventure in Afghanistan.

Russia was dragged into Afghanistan due to its obligations as an ally to the PDPA. Initially however Moscow was reluctant, some Soviet leaders as well as diplomats had their criticisms of the behaviour of what the PDPA regime was utilising on religious institutions.

However al-Qaeda was launching occasional skirmishes on Afghanistan border areas with the USSR during the time too. The threat of the Afghan conflict spilling over into the Soviet Union, which was quintessentially what Brzezinsky wanted, forced the Soviets to intervene.

However they were not forced out, before they left, Operation Magistral was launched, a sweeping operational success against the al-Qaeda insurgents.

Let us not forget the Russians of today have T-90MS main battle tank beasts, Sukhoi PAK FA stealth fighters, 9-123M Kristanthema tank destroyers, BMPTs, BTR-Ts, as well as an eventual T-99 marvel. These are designed for all forms of combat, including being well defended against possible insurgent attacks.

The T-90MS was designed especially with this idea in mind.

My point is, counter-insurgency warfare drags on for years, because it's against an irregular and decentralized enemy with no simple way to defeat it. The Soviets learned that the hard way. The US populace is war-weary for the same reasons, having learned from Iraq.
Last edited by Luveria on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Divair wrote:They had a severe shortage of clowns with licensed mortars.

Wait, did I just pull off another pun without knowing it?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

You do realise Syria armed the PKK with Iranian help, whilst the current Assad is actually increasingly on good terms with the YPG? Both are increasingly coming closer together. Read Kurdish sites to better learn just how vile the FSA was to Rojava that the YPG went from neutral to all out war with all insurgents.

That's good. Less people to fight. Do you have links to Kurdish websites, (without gory images,) in English?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Divair wrote:Yes, I frequently fire funphorus gas at schools.

Funphorous gas lol! I wish I had more space to signature this. :rofl:

Pft, who needs other stuff when you can just quote me? Just replace your entire sig with stuff I post.
Last edited by Divair on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Divair wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Wait, did I just pull off another pun without knowing it?

You poor thing :P

Divair wrote:
Souriya Al-Assad wrote:Funphorous gas lol! I wish I had more space to signature this. :rofl:

Pft, who needs other stuff when you can just quote me? Just replace your entire sig with stuff I post.

And we called him, Divair, the Humble One :P

Souriya Al-Assad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Souriya Al-Assad » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Souriya Al-Assad wrote:You do realise Syria armed the PKK with Iranian help, whilst the current Assad is actually increasingly on good terms with the YPG? Both are increasingly coming closer together. Read Kurdish sites to better learn just how vile the FSA was to Rojava that the YPG went from neutral to all out war with all insurgents.

That's good. Less people to fight. Do you have links to Kurdish websites, (without gory images,) in English?

I apologise most of the Kurdish sites I have do utilise gory images of the conflict.

Divair wrote:
Souriya Al-Assad wrote:Funphorous gas lol! I wish I had more space to signature this. :rofl:

I suppose I could rearrange the signature somehow. I shall reflect upon it. :p

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Luveria wrote:
Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Russia was dragged into Afghanistan due to its obligations as an ally to the PDPA. Initially however Moscow was reluctant, some Soviet leaders as well as diplomats had their criticisms of the behaviour of what the PDPA regime was utilising on religious institutions.

However al-Qaeda was launching occasional skirmishes on Afghanistan border areas with the USSR during the time too. The threat of the Afghan conflict spilling over into the Soviet Union, which was quintessentially what Brzezinsky wanted, forced the Soviets to intervene.

However they were not forced out, before they left, Operation Magistral was launched, a sweeping operational success against the al-Qaeda insurgents.

Let us not forget the Russians of today have T-90MS main battle tank beasts, Sukhoi PAK FA stealth fighters, 9-123M Kristanthema tank destroyers, BMPTs, BTR-Ts, as well as an eventual T-99 marvel. These are designed for all forms of combat, including being well defended against possible insurgent attacks.

The T-90MS was designed especially with this idea in mind.

My point is, counter-insurgency warfare drags on for years, because it's against an irregular and decentralized enemy with no simple way to defeat it. The Soviets learned that the hard way. The US populace is war-weary for the same reasons, having learned from Iraq.

That's true, but, from what I recall, in Afghanistan the USSR had Plurality Support, not Majority Support. In Dagestan, Russia had Majority Support, and that was fun, well fun for Russia's military. In the Second Chechen War, after 2006, Russia once against had Majority Support, and that was a breeze. In Ossetia, same thing. So the question is this: "In Syria, does Assad have Majority Support, not counting the Kurds?"

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

I apologise most of the Kurdish sites I have do utilise gory images of the conflict.

Damn. Not sure if you're allowed to post those on NSG. Can someone clarify?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:I suppose I could rearrange the signature somehow. I shall reflect upon it. :p

You'll see. By the time NSG shuts down, everyone's sig will be full of quotes of random posts I make.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General