NATION

PASSWORD

Islam/Muslim Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

To which branch of Islam do you belong?

Sunni
41%
Shia
13%
Ibadi
4%
Ahmadiyya
2%
Sufi
8%
Nondenominational
12%
Other
21%

Total votes : 404

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:So, from what I understand, the ban on pig meat was because during Muhammed (pbuh)'s time, it often had parasites. But since pig meat is now usually safe for consumption today, is there any particular reason why this is still upheld?

Well the ban on pig meat was recorded in the Quran. I don't think God would tell people they couldn't eat something but only intend for people to not eat it in that time period, and then not tell the people of today that they could.

Oh, my mistake. I was under the assumption that the pork ban was soley created for health reasons.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:14 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Well the ban on pig meat was recorded in the Quran. I don't think God would tell people they couldn't eat something but only intend for people to not eat it in that time period, and then not tell the people of today that they could.

Oh, my mistake. I was under the assumption that the pork ban was soley created for health reasons.

It was.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Czechanada wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Oh, my mistake. I was under the assumption that the pork ban was soley created for health reasons.

It was.

According to the others, it wasn't.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:22 pm

The Wolven League wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
It was.

According to the others, it wasn't.

To a non-Muslim, a connection could be drawn up. Despite being pagans, many pagan Arabs had picked up the Jewish tradition of not eating pigs. However, we believe that this is one thing that the Jews did right; the abstinence from pigs was one of the things ordered to them by God, and one of the few things the continued to do (though the other food bans by Jews were falsified). Pig meat being haram was not following tradition, but rather confirming part of an already existing one.
Quranist, Pan-Islamist Muslim
Syndicalist, Councilist, Environmentalist, and Regionalist! Gay and proud!
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview
All credit for the flag to Slovenya
Factbooks>NS stats, but stats form a reference point

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:According to the others, it wasn't.

To a non-Muslim, a connection could be drawn up. Despite being pagans, many pagan Arabs had picked up the Jewish tradition of not eating pigs. However, we believe that this is one thing that the Jews did right; the abstinence from pigs was one of the things ordered to them by God, and one of the few things the continued to do (though the other food bans by Jews were falsified). Pig meat being haram was not following tradition, but rather confirming part of an already existing one.

Well, it's no surprise, as Djinnism (Arabic/Ethiopian paganism) was already being quickly replaced by Judaism and Nestorianist Christianity, and to a lesser extent, Zoroastrianism. Arabia would likely be Jewish today if Muhammed never came along, so it makes sense that Djinnists were influenced by Jews during the latter part of their existence.

Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:27 am

The Wolven League wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Well the ban on pig meat was recorded in the Quran. I don't think God would tell people they couldn't eat something but only intend for people to not eat it in that time period, and then not tell the people of today that they could.

Well, considering factory farming today...
Left/Right -8.64 Libertarian/Authoritarian -0.92
Gov: Mix of Platonic Meritocracy, Liberal Democracy, and Iran.
WA Ambassador: Sayid Ali Hasni
Half-Pakistani half Filipino Shia living in the US.
Note: This is a revolutionary state, so in the WA, I my post stuff stronger than my actual opinion.
(Not Exhaustive)Pro: BDS, Iran*, environmentalism,
Medium**on: Hezbollah (+), FSA (-), Kurdistan (-), Iraqi gov' (+), Pan-Shia/Islam/Arabism
Against: Monarchy, Saudis, Hamas, DAISH, anti-intellectualism
*Not on everything
**+: 'I like their cause but not their methods' -: 'would be nice, in theory, but impractical in the real world.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 am

According to Pew research, Islam is the second most diverse religion in the US (way more white than I thought)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... us-groups/
Note: This is a revolutionary state, so in the WA, I my post stuff stronger than my actual opinion.
Medium**on: Hezbollah (+), FSA (-), Kurdistan (-), Iraqi gov' (+), Pan-Shia/Islam/Arabism
*Not on everything
**+: 'I like their cause but not their methods' -: 'would be nice, in theory, but impractical in the real world.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:34 am

Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana wrote:According to Pew research, Islam is the second most diverse religion in the US (way more white than I thought)

Really? Hmm, makes sense I guess.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:31 am

Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana wrote:According to Pew research, Islam is the second most diverse religion in the US (way more white than I thought)

Indeed, glad to count myself among them. If I remember reading correctly, I believe Latin Americans are, in fact, the fastest converting group in the Americas. Technically, I'm white by race but Hispanic by ethnicity, so I fit into both groups.
Pro- East Jerusalem and pre-1967 borders for Palestine, Hamas, Novorossiya, Gaddafism, Ansarullah (Houthis), Hezbollah, Putin, Xi Jinping, Rouhani, Assad, Maduro, Corbyn, and Bernie Sanders
Anti- Israel/Zionism, Euromaiden Ukraine, Neoliberalism, Saudi Arabia, Daesh, Al-Qaeda, Trump, Macron, Theresa May, and anyone involved in peddling the "Russiagate" theory
Mahdistan; An Overview

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:02 pm

....and of course, one of my good Steam friends turned out to be a huge Islamophobe. He got into an arguement with me over Islam, claiming that Islam is a hateful religion that wants to slaughter the infidel and that none of the Middle Easterners are pious. He bragged about how "Chrisitanity was spreading in the Middle East", how he "had converted four Sunnis and one Buddhist", and how he went binge drinking with local Muslims.

Welp, I now see what kind of bullshit Western Muslims have to put up with almost every day.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:06 pm

The Wolven League wrote:....and of course, one of my good Steam friends turned out to be a huge Islamophobe. He got into an arguement with me over Islam, claiming that Islam is a hateful religion that wants to slaughter the infidel and that none of the Middle Easterners are pious. He bragged about how "Chrisitanity was spreading in the Middle East", how he "had converted four Sunnis and one Buddhist", and how he went binge drinking with local Muslims.

Welp, I now see what kind of bullshit Western Muslims have to put up with almost every day.

Be certain to also examine the other side - aka "the bullshit western muslims create almost every day".
It, sadly, is quite balanced.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:13 pm

The Wolven League wrote:....and of course, one of my good Steam friends turned out to be a huge Islamophobe. He got into an arguement with me over Islam, claiming that Islam is a hateful religion that wants to slaughter the infidel and that none of the Middle Easterners are pious. He bragged about how "Chrisitanity was spreading in the Middle East", how he "had converted four Sunnis and one Buddhist", and how he went binge drinking with local Muslims.

And that's why I only friend people I know. You are, in fact, the only person on my steam I don't personally know.

The Alma Mater wrote:

Be certain to also examine the other side - aka "the bullshit western muslims create almost every day".
It, sadly, is quite balanced.

Indeed, muscle flexing helps no one, and serves to do nothing but lengthen the divides between our communities. Though I will say that I have converted one person, and helped a number of converts to get started.

I guess that can be another topic. Have any of you ever converted a person? If so, would you say it was easy or difficult? I felt very good after the accomplishment, though the particular person I converted was already pretty open in looking for a religion.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Jochistan
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jochistan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 am

Mahdistan wrote:Indeed, muscle flexing helps no one, and serves to do nothing but lengthen the divides between our communities. Though I will say that I have converted one person, and helped a number of converts to get started.

I guess that can be another topic. Have any of you ever converted a person? If so, would you say it was easy or difficult? I felt very good after the accomplishment, though the particular person I converted was already pretty open in looking for a religion.

I really try not to evangelize. I tell them what the religions about when they ask. But I really don't want to outwardly try to convert anyone.

I usually try to stay extremely subtle about it. only saying "I don't drink" or the infinitely more suspicious "I don't eat pork" and leaving the rest open to interpretation.
Your friendly neighborhood Steppe Republic.
I was a wimp before Nationstates, now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me.

Pro: Moral Conservatism, Nationalism, Rationalism, Theocracy, Traditionalism, Golden Age of Islam, Corporal and Capital Punishment, Ethnic Mixing, Integration, Stranka Demokratske Akcije, Kosovo, Tibet, Ichkeria, el Sisi.
Anti: Salafism, Khomeinism, Racial Ultranationalism, Xenophobic Populism, Progressivism, Communism, Hedonism, Pacifism, Multiculturalism, Nihilism, Israel, Hamas, Serbia and friends, China.
Genghis did nothing wrong

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:38 am

Welp, I now see what kind of b- Western Muslims have to put up with almost every day.

True. It's even worse being a Shia and a supporter of Iran. (btw, in what region do you live?)
*Not on everything

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:39 am

Jochistan wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:Indeed, muscle flexing helps no one, and serves to do nothing but lengthen the divides between our communities. Though I will say that I have converted one person, and helped a number of converts to get started.

I really try not to evangelize. I tell them what the religions about when they ask. But I really don't want to outwardly try to convert anyone.

I usually try to stay extremely subtle about it. only saying "I don't drink" or the infinitely more suspicious "I don't eat pork" and leaving the rest open to interpretation.

I don't evangalize, but I often talk openly about my religion, but only to friends. For non-friends, I just keep it as, "I'm a Muslim." or maybe "I'm a Shia," unless they start hating on Iran or Pakistan. (Though I definitely don't agree with either on everything.)
Last edited by Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Not on everything

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:05 am

Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana wrote:

Welp, I now see what kind of b- Western Muslims have to put up with almost every day.

True. It's even worse being a Shia and a supporter of Iran. (btw, in what region do you live?)

Region? Ohio, US. The world's most boring place.... ever.

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:33 am

"Total votes: 69"

I'm surprised no immature people have come into the thread, made a stupid joke about that, and left.

Or maybe they have, I don't know.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 am

Jochistan wrote:I really try not to evangelize. I tell them what the religions about when they ask. But I really don't want to outwardly try to convert anyone.

I don't evangalize, but I often talk openly about my religion, but only to friends. For non-friends, I just keep it as, "I'm a Muslim." or maybe "I'm a Shia," unless they start hating on Iran or Pakistan. (Though I definitely don't agree with either on everything.)
Jochistan wrote:

I don't either. A lot of people I meet, however, tend to be curious, so I just give them the base facts and if they ask more, all the better to me. A lot of people are curious because according to the people who know I'm Muslim, I don't 'look Muslim'.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:38 pm

Mahdistan wrote:
Jochistan wrote:I really try not to evangelize. I tell them what the religions about when they ask. But I really don't want to outwardly try to convert anyone.

I don't either. A lot of people I meet, however, tend to be curious, so I just give them the base facts and if they ask more, all the better to me. A lot of people are curious because according to the people who know I'm Muslim, I don't 'look Muslim'.

Kinda the same here because I look more East Asian than South. Of course, a lot of Kashmiris and Iranis (and even Iraqis, to some extent) could pass for white. Never mind Paktuns, some of whom I've mistaken for white numerous times. If you're not familiar with them, the look is basically, totally white, with blue eyes, and pretty often redheaded.
*Not on everything

Tafhan
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafhan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:20 pm

I'm aware that the Qur'an states for men to be modest with women and women to be modest with men. and for men and women to "lower their gaze".

So, with that in mind, what exactly do all of you do when you see an extremely pretty girl or guy on the street?
|We are few, but we are bitter|

A Theocracy done the right way ( almost ) all of the time.
We are not a Muslim nation
OOC
My nation does not necessarily represent my irl views…kinda.

Mahdistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahdistan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:25 pm

Tafhan wrote:I'm aware that the Qur'an states for men to be modest with women and women to be modest with men. and for men and women to "lower their gaze".

So, with that in mind, what exactly do all of you do when you see an extremely pretty girl or guy on the street?

I do my best to not look. I, along with just about every other guy out there, have slipped up at some points, but I do my best to maintain both my own and her dignity.
Mahdistan; An Overview

Tafhan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tafhan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:20 am

Mahdistan wrote:
Tafhan wrote:I'm aware that the Qur'an states for men to be modest with women and women to be modest with men. and for men and women to "lower their gaze".

I do my best to not look. I, along with just about every other guy out there, have slipped up at some points, but I do my best to maintain both my own and her dignity.

How do you meet women then? (Sorry if that sounded pointed :p )

OOC

Patistan
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Patistan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:36 am

Tafhan wrote:
Mahdistan wrote:I do my best to not look. I, along with just about every other guy out there, have slipped up at some points, but I do my best to maintain both my own and her dignity.

How do you meet women then? (Sorry if that sounded pointed :p )

Treat them with respect, if your talking to one then just look face to face and not look all over her body and stuff.

If you meen "meet" in like the hello hi way then I usually just say Assalam-a-Alaikum.
]

Tafhan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tafhan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:39 am

Patistan wrote:
Tafhan wrote:How do you meet women then? (Sorry if that sounded pointed :p )

Treat them with respect, if your talking to one then just look face to face and not look all over her body and stuff.

If you meen "meet" in like the hello hi way then I usually just say Assalam-a-Alaikum.

No, I mean, how do you meet women to go out with (date).

OOC

Patistan
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Patistan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:42 am

Tafhan wrote:
Patistan wrote:

No, I mean, how do you meet women to go out with (date).

Oh lol, I for one can't answer that question properly as dating is a rarity here for people under 20 :P.
]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General