NATION

PASSWORD

will Third Parties Emrge in the 2014 USA midterm elections

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

American Pride
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Caninope wrote:
American Pride wrote:

No, i would not have supported the Tarp Act for i dont not believe in Corporate Handouts and the Putting my tax dollars to bail out Business.

Stopping right here (I'll address the other, nonsensical parts at a later date, if I feel like it), why wouldn't you? Are you familiar with which businesses took TARP money? Are you familiar with the TARP program itself?

Yes i know the tarp Act it was to purchase subsidizes and assets to help stabilize the economy I know that GM Chrysler and a few other select corporations received Help.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm

No. The Green Party is delusional with their psuedoscience support, conspiracy theorism, and environmental radicalism; the Libertarians are way too extreme and are too opposed to compromise (Gary Johnson was less extreme but he had unusual views for an LP candidate) and they seem to be more Paulite/paleoconservative than libertarian a lot of the time; the Constitutionalists seem to have never read the document that their party is named after.

I'd like to have a multi-party system but we're going to need more viable third parties first.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

:rofl: LOL no, this death struggle between the Republicans and Democrats will last for ages to come.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Blasveck wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:If the GOP keeps on doing what they're doing, that chance might be within the end of my life.

I doubt that they will stay the same.

Just look at what happened to the Dems when they lost the Dixiecrats. They came backa few elections later.

It's no different for the GOP.

Is it?

The Whigs disappeared though in the US. I suspect that is what is happening within the GOP is that they're turning into the Whigs or Know-Nothings.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
I doubt that they will stay the same.

Just look at what happened to the Dems when they lost the Dixiecrats. They came backa few elections later.

It's no different for the GOP.

Is it?

The Whigs disappeared though in the US. I suspect that is what is happening within the GOP is that they're turning into the Whigs or Know-Nothings.

Trust me, there is enough conservative support for a new Conservative party to form, even if the Republicans went down the tube.
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:No. The Green Party is delusional with their psuedoscience support, conspiracy theorism, and environmental radicalism; the Libertarians are way too extreme and are too opposed to compromise (Gary Johnson was less extreme but he had unusual views for an LP candidate) and they seem to be more Paulite/paleoconservative than libertarian a lot of the time; the Constitutionalists seem to have never read the document that their party is named after.

I'd like to have a multi-party system but we're going to need more viable third parties first.

When parties get big enough for electability, they TEND to lose their more extremist elements to garner more votes and appease more people.

What we really need, is a mixed member proportional system, or at least an alternative voting system.
Forever a Communist

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 pm

American Pride wrote:
Caninope wrote:Stopping right here (I'll address the other, nonsensical parts at a later date, if I feel like it), why wouldn't you? Are you familiar with which businesses took TARP money? Are you familiar with the TARP program itself?

So you believe Dumping bad debt on the innocent taxpayers is an act of theft and is wrong.It is unconstitutional There is no constitutional authority to use government power to serve special interests. And select Corporations

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 pm

The US political system operates under rules making that near impossible.

Congresspeople are elected from single-member districts. Presidential politics is mediated through the electoral college with a state-by-state winner take all system with only two exceptions. The whole structure ensures that only two parties can be competitive nationally.

A third party can only really make a mark if it has a strong regional base of power (a la the Bloc Quebecois or NDP in Canada), or they rapidly overtake and destroy one of the main parties (like Labour did in the UK). Otherwise, they'll be irrelevant or peter out.

Furthermore, mid-terms are low-information, low-resource events. They don't attract the same media attention or fervor from the electorate. This environment favors incumbents. People will vote for what they know, and the D or R behind their name tells a whole lot about the candidate. A G or an L really doesn't, and honestly no one really cares about their pet ideologies.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

American Pride wrote:
American Pride wrote:

So you believe Dumping bad debt on the innocent taxpayers is an act of theft and is wrong.It is unconstitutional There is no constitutional authority to use government power to serve special interests. And select Corporations

But Corporations are good for America. You can work, and work, and work some more.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Vazdania wrote:
American Pride wrote:

But Corporations are good for America. You can work, and work, and work some more.

Corporations and Big Business ruin this country Small Business is the backbone of this nation.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 pm

No, for one simple reason; almost all of the third parties literally cannot field enough candidates in Congressional races in order to get a majority. Not even close.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

American Pride wrote:So you believe Dumping bad debt on the innocent taxpayers is an act of theft and is wrong.It is unconstitutional There is no constitutional authority to use government power to serve special interests. And select Corporations

Given who the taxpayers keep voting for, It'd be quite a stretch to call them innocent.

And I don't think you really understands how the Constitution works. The Constitution gives the federal government a set of powers. Such as the power to regulate commerce among the several states. The Constitution does not say how they are to be used. It leaves that as a political question, and the courts have broadly upheld that it is unwise to interfere in political issues except when due process rights have been violated.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Escasia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escasia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Blasveck wrote:What we really need, is a mixed member proportional system, or at least an alternative voting system.

The problem with changing voting system is that it would be bitterly opposed by the Republicans and Democrats, since they both benefit enormously from the current system. Considering how influential those two parties are, it would likely be difficult to gain public support for AV.

Again, happened in the UK. The main parties spread all kinds of crazy nonsense rumors about AV, and the US parties are even better at advertising than ours.
I'm utopian? I think it's more utopian to believe things can carry on as they are now.
I'm a compulsive editor. Sorry about that.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 pm

American Pride wrote:
Caninope wrote:Stopping right here (I'll address the other, nonsensical parts at a later date, if I feel like it), why wouldn't you? Are you familiar with which businesses took TARP money? Are you familiar with the TARP program itself?

Yes i know the tarp Act it was to purchase subsidizes and assets to help stabilize the economy I know that GM Chrysler and a few other select corporations received Help.

Here's a list of companies that received TARP funds. Notice something? They're mostly banks or other companies in the financial industry?

Would you like to take a gander at why?
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Not anymore than they have emerged. It will take a lot more to break the two-party system.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Caninope wrote:
American Pride wrote:

Here's a list of companies that received TARP funds. Notice something? They're mostly banks or other companies in the financial industry?

Very good lobbyists.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Narulthit
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Narulthit » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 pm

don't know don't care I will support the smartest party I don't have any specific one
Last edited by Narulthit on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And Hence forth Greeks will not be known to fight like heroes but heroes to fight like Greeks

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Caninope wrote:Here's a list of companies that received TARP funds. Notice something? They're mostly banks or other companies in the financial industry?

Very good lobbyists.

Close, but no dice. :p
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Caninope wrote:
American Pride wrote:

Yes, I know they thought it would stabilize the economy but allowing the companies to fail and declare bankruptcy would be the best "bailout" as the economic realities could be dealt with by the market!!!!!!!!!! My point is right there

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Narulthit wrote:don't know don't care I will support the smartest party I don't have any specific one

Great ideology :p

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:33 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:No.

So you think that we will just keep electing each side and continue to let them fuck things up?

The middle class party will inevitably cause the shrinkage of the middle class, at which point we'll either see a sudden shift to the left, or a revolution, or mass apathy (probably this one) as voter turnout plummets continually.
The Ideological Conservative party will continue to fuck things up as usual.
Third parties will absorb the vote from TMCP when it's likely to win, and plummet as it's voters freak out and vote TMCP when the ICC is likely to win.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Arguazil
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arguazil » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 pm

I dont know :palm: :oops: :unsure: :eyebrow:

American Pride
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby American Pride » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
American Pride wrote:

So you think that we will just keep electing each side and continue to let them fuck things up?

The middle class party will inevitably cause the shrinkage of the middle class, at which point we'll either see a sudden shift to the left, or a revolution, or mass apathy (probably this one) as voter turnout plummets continually.
The Ideological Conservative party will continue to fuck things up as usual.

Well Thats A bias Comment for the Far-left also Fucks things up. I think that America will make a change to either the far-left or the far-left In the next 50 years as a social Revolution Will happen. And Some great Speaker and Leader will come from the ashes and sway the people Because history repeats itself

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Vazdania wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:The Whigs disappeared though in the US. I suspect that is what is happening within the GOP is that they're turning into the Whigs or Know-Nothings.

Trust me, there is enough conservative support for a new Conservative party to form, even if the Republicans went down the tube.

The more moderate Republicans should just leave the party and create a Progressive-Conservative party or something if things don't improve.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Lesbia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lesbia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:38 pm

American Pride wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:No.

Yup.
We're Lesbians, not lesbians.

Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.13
Updated July 18, 2016

Supporting HRC for president.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General