NATION

PASSWORD

The best statesmen in today's world.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Most Formidable Contemporary Leader.

Barack Obama
14%
David Cameron
6%
Vladimir Putin
25%
Angela Merkel
24%
Shinzo Abe
4%
Bashar al-Assad
4%
Gen. Abdelfattah al-Sisi
2%
Xi Jingpeng
7%
Benjamin Netanyahu
9%
Stephen Harper
6%

Total votes : 136

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Hollorous wrote:
Too soon to tell with him.

Agreed.

But who's Xi Jingpeng? Ugh, I feel like he just put in some stereotypical Chinese-sounding name since he couldn't help remembering it.

:rofl: I see, he spelled it wrong.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Ariddia wrote:
You're a bit late for that. ;) (If we're counting only people currently in power.) She lost the premiership a few weeks ago. Kevin Rudd is PM of Australia now.

Couldn't help but imagine him as a combination of Kevin James and Paul Rudd.

I see Kevin Rudd is back.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 am

Hetalian Indie Rio de Janeiro wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

Thinking that the USA and Canada should merge does not make the Canadian government illegitimate. I think the EU countries should unify into one country, that doesn't make their current government illegitimate.

Do you realize we would lose power at the UN had this to happen, right?

Creating various Western small nation states in the current countries that are geopolitically less relevant is the way to go!

We'd lose power in the UN? Oh noes, what will we ever do without that one extra vote in the GA. It's not like those resolutions really matter anyway. The UNSC is all that matters and the US is a permanent member.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:57 am

Wow, the poll does indeed have some pretty terrible options.

... Since I can't think of any reasonable options, I'mma go with someone very much like a lot of people on that list - Lukashenko. That total and absolute failure at running a country he's got down there is truly impressive and must take some effort.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:58 am

Arglorand wrote:Wow, the poll does indeed have some pretty terrible options.

... Since I can't think of any reasonable options, I'mma go with someone very much like a lot of people on that list - Lukashenko. That total and absolute failure at running a country he's got down there is truly impressive and must take some effort.

Lukashenko is a wise and bold leader. Belarus has done remarkably well considering the pressures that the corrupt EU places on it.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Wow, the poll does indeed have some pretty terrible options.

Lukashenko is a wise and bold leader. Belarus has done remarkably well considering the pressures that the corrupt EU places on it.

Isn't he Russia-backed, though?

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Agritum wrote:

Russia doesn't shun him for no reason like the EU so yes you could say they are on good terms.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Agritum wrote:Isn't he Russia-backed, though?

Russia doesn't shun him for no reason like the EU so yes you could say they are on good terms.

Well, I'd guess that the Russia backing is quite an important factor for why Belorussia hasn't crumpled.

Sort of like North Korea and China.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Agritum wrote:

No. He occasionally tolerates working with Russia, but more often than not Russia views him as a pest.

And he's really not good at leading his country at all. It is quite possibly the bleakest place in Europe and I'm rather irritated at what he has done to my ancestral home. They have a freaking milk deficit in Minsk and a paper deficit in Brest.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Agritum wrote:

Well, I'd guess that the Russia backing is quite an important factor for why Belorussia hasn't crumpled.

He isn't propped up by Putin, if thats what your implying. They are friends this is all.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Agritum wrote:Well, I'd guess that the Russia backing is quite an important factor for why Belorussia hasn't crumpled.

He isn't propped up by Putin, if thats what your implying. They are friends this is all.

Not implying that. I'm just saying that it's handy to still have friendly relationships with a major power, even when almost everyone in the continent hates you.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Agritum wrote:Well, I'd guess that the Russia backing is quite an important factor for why Belorussia hasn't crumpled.

Until Lukashenko starts asking for cheaper oil prices.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Agritum wrote:

Not implying that. I'm just saying that it's handy to still have friendly relationships with a major power, even when almost everyone in the continent hates you.

This is true. When looking for allies it is usually better to befriend a great power rather then a coalition of weaker states.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Agritum wrote:Not implying that. I'm just saying that it's handy to still have friendly relationships with a major power, even when almost everyone in the continent hates you.

This is true. When looking for allies it is usually better to befriend a great power rather then a coalition of weaker states.

It's kinda one of the reasons for why NK is still around.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Agritum wrote:

It's kinda one of the reasons for why NK is still around.

And Syria, Israel, Azerbaijan (friends w Turkey), Taiwan
Last edited by Imperial Nilfgaard on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm

I gotta go with Putin and maybe Merkel, although the latter probably owes her success more to German economic conditions than her actual political acumen. I think Putin handled the Snowden situation superbly, and his ability to maintain his hold on power over a nation of that size and history is impressive.

Some of these names I admit I'm not familiar with, but I don't think any of them are really in Putin's league. His Daes Dae'mar is probably the best we've seen from a visible public official since Kissinger.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Agritum wrote:It's kinda one of the reasons for why NK is still around.

And Syria, Israel, Azerbaijan (friends w Turkey), Taiwan

Well, yeah. Though Israel benefits from a larger base of supporters than the other nations you listed.

Malfyria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Malfyria » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Blasveck wrote:
They are both among the best, in my not so humble opinion.

Why? They're both totalitarian pricks.

Statesmanship is not about being totalitarian or democratic, statesmanship is the art of mastering the business of managing a nation effectively.Whether or not this is done by a representative of
the people is irrelevant.

I personally think Putin is the best politician out of that list (though that is not saying a agree or disagree with him), he is certainly good at manipulating both public and international opinion
to his own interests.
Last edited by Malfyria on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Malfyria wrote:
Blasveck wrote:
Why? They're both totalitarian pricks.

Statesmanship is not about being totalitarian or democratic, statesmanship is the art of mastering the business of managing a nation effectively.Whether or not this is done by a representative of
the people is irrelevant.

I personally think Putin is the best politician out of that list (though that is not saying a agree or disagree with him), he is certainly good at manipulating both public and international opinion
to his own interests.

Yes. He certainly is.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Where is Dear Leader, Kim Jong-Un?

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm not the largest fan of any of the people listed in the poll. Obama is alright, but he's been supporting Bush-style national security and intelligence policy recently.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Statesmen don't have to be current leaders, so I'm going with Bill Clinton.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Death Metal wrote:Statesmen don't have to be current leaders, so I'm going with Bill Clinton.

Well if that's the case, and based upon the criteria presented in this thread, I'm going with Louis XIV. The Sun King's reign and scope of power is the longest in European history.

Rawrckia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rawrckia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Putin is good, Merkel is good, Assad is good.

Why Obama and Cameron are on there is beyond me lol
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.18
"Build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm through the night. Set a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."
PRO: Hugs
ANTI: Loud noises

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Barack Obama. Don't agree with him politically really but his (relatively) hands off stance with regards to foreign policy whilst still engaging in n intervention with foreign countries taking the lead is commendable and his push towards automated warfare is very shrewd as it allows the US to engage in warfare without the bodies arriving at Dover so much. Also considering the country he has to lead.... Fucking props to him.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General