NATION

PASSWORD

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

Yes, it's bad for kids.
9%
Yes, but make it legal only in certain circumstances
12%
Neutral/Don't care
4%
No, Im not a fan of homeschooling but we shouldn't make it illegal.
29%
No.
43%
No, in fact make homeschooling the only form of school.
2%

Total votes : 428

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Bottle wrote:
Caninope wrote:But that's serving drinks commercially. It's perfectly legal to mix and serve drinks in a non-commercial manner without any sort of license. Under this logic, you should only need a license to educate at home if you choose to do so commercially.

How about driver's licenses? You need one even if you're just driving for your own private purposes and not as part of some commercial venture.

Not really. You only need a driver's license to drive on public roads.

That's why I first drove my dad's truck at 7, for instance. I was on a private road.

EDIT: I also feel it important to note that to drive commercially (i.e. very large vehicles) , most jurisdictions require a specialized endorsement of the license.
Last edited by Caninope on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Dragoria
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Bottle wrote:How about driver's licenses? You need one even if you're just driving for your own private purposes and not as part of some commercial venture.

...Not really?

I mean, unless you're using 'private purposes' to mean grocery shopping and such. But driving a car on your own property for your own purposes (the point used where I live would be lawn maintenance or hay collection) certainly is just fine without a license.
If you're driving on a road for any purpose, you need a license. And the car needs to be registered. And here in NY, the car also needs to be insured.
A young person's mind, if mishandled, can be just as dangerous as a mishandled car.
"Alliances are fun. I'm in. Unless this is an alliance which I already joined, in which case I'm out. Quint's an asshole." ~Quintolania
"I thought you were like the manliest man ever. If someone told me you were a brilliant swordsman and hunted deer on foot and unarmed, I wouldn't have thought that it was much of an exaggeration." ~Murbleflip

Que Sera, Sera

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Bottle wrote:How about driver's licenses? You need one even if you're just driving for your own private purposes and not as part of some commercial venture.

...Not really?

I mean, unless you're using 'private purposes' to mean grocery shopping and such. But driving a car on your own property for your own purposes (the point used where I live would be lawn maintenance or hay collection) certainly is just fine without a license.

Yes, the bold, or for recreation or whatever. It's not like only professional truckers have to get licensed.

As for the aspect of it being on your private property, that's rather a different argument, isn't it? Originally, the objection was that you can serve drinks in a non-commercial manner without a license.

If the issue is now location, then that's a whole other story. There are plenty of things you aren't permitted to do on your private property without a license, like, say, perform surgery.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Caninope wrote:

Not really. You only need a driver's license to drive on public roads.

That's why I first drove my dad's truck at 7, for instance. I was on a private road.

EDIT: I also feel it important to note that to drive commercially (i.e. very large vehicles) , most jurisdictions require a specialized endorsement of the license.

So therefore people only need a license to teach a child if they plan to let that child out in public?

I can live with that.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Bottle wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:...Not really?

Yes, the bold, or for recreation or whatever. It's not like only professional truckers have to get licensed.

As for the aspect of it being on your private property, that's rather a different argument, isn't it? Originally, the objection was that you can serve drinks in a non-commercial manner without a license.

But is it really? A parent is educating his own child, in much the same way that the hypothetical driver is on his own land.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Bottle wrote:
Caninope wrote:Not really. You only need a driver's license to drive on public roads.

So therefore people only need a license to teach a child if they plan to let that child out in public?

I can live with that.

I applaud your humor.

All the same, I do not feel that a parent should be forced to acquire a type of teaching license to homeschool their child. All the same, the child should be required to meet certain standards.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bottle wrote:Yes, the bold, or for recreation or whatever. It's not like only professional truckers have to get licensed.

But is it really? A parent is educating his own child, in much the same way that the hypothetical driver is on his own land.

If one assumes a child is a piece of property rather than a human person, I suppose that is a valid comparison.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Dragoria wrote:

If you're driving on a road for any purpose, you need a license. And the car needs to be registered. And here in NY, the car also needs to be insured.
A young person's mind, if mishandled, can be just as dangerous as a mishandled car.

Actually, that's not true depending on state.
Mine, for example, makes an exception for those without driver's licenses utilizing farm equipment or in the process of going to or from a farming location. But, that's more an exception so...

Bottle wrote:

If the issue is now location, then that's a whole other story. There are plenty of things you aren't permitted to do on your private property without a license, like, say, perform surgery.

I'm unsure it actually is. The reason one can serve drinks non-commercially for example is that you're a private person on private property. One couldn't hang a sign over their door called 'Billy's bar' and serve drinks, because it would be a commercial venture at that point.

It seems like one could, in the same way, say that homeschooling is the utilization of that same right in relation to educating their child rather than serving drinks or driving a vehicle. I dunnow...
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Bottle wrote:
Caninope wrote:But is it really? A parent is educating his own child, in much the same way that the hypothetical driver is on his own land.

If one assumes a child is a piece of property rather than a human person, I suppose that is a valid comparison.

A minor is not a piece of property, but it is the ward of the guardian and/or parent. We should defer to the judgement of this guardian or parent in the welfare of their minor.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bottle wrote:So therefore people only need a license to teach a child if they plan to let that child out in public?

I can live with that.

I applaud your humor.

All the same, I do not feel that a parent should be forced to acquire a type of teaching license to homeschool their child. All the same, the child should be required to meet certain standards.

*Shrug* I have no idea if licensing is a viable solution, frankly, just pointing out that I don't think there's a problem with the analogies.

I'd prefer to improve public education and dismantle the superstitious subcommunities that currently comprise most home-schoolers in my country, and let the notion die out on its own.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Bottle wrote:The type of person who wants to home-school their children is extremely likely to be the kind of person who should not be entrusted with anybody's education ever.

Really, this is fucking accurate.

I wasn't homeschooled so I'd be smarter, I was homeschooled because my parents wanted someone who thought as they did, believed as they did, and made decisions as they did, and they felt that ideas from my peers would interfere with that. I didn't even know about homosexuality until fourteen, and when my mom overheard me talking about it to my brother, she went nuts and demanded to know who told me such a thing existed (I kept my mouth shut).

Every person I know who was homeschooled, even the smart ones, were done so to isolate them. Most possess opinions and ideas that are mere replicas of those of their parents. It's not about upbringing human beings. While there are exceptions, by and large it sucks.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Dragoria wrote: If you're driving on a road for any purpose, you need a license. And the car needs to be registered. And here in NY, the car also needs to be insured.

Actually, that's not true depending on state.
Mine, for example, makes an exception for those without driver's licenses utilizing farm equipment or in the process of going to or from a farming location. But, that's more an exception so...
"You need a license to drive a car" "Not on your own property" "Okay, you need a license to drive a car on a road" "Not if it's a tractor!"
Is that seriously your argument right now? Not needing a license to drive a tractor from barn to field two roads over is more like not needing a license to let your kid watch educational shows on PBS than not needing a license to teach your kid at home instead of letting a licensed teacher at a school teach them.
Last edited by Dragoria on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Alliances are fun. I'm in. Unless this is an alliance which I already joined, in which case I'm out. Quint's an asshole." ~Quintolania
"I thought you were like the manliest man ever. If someone told me you were a brilliant swordsman and hunted deer on foot and unarmed, I wouldn't have thought that it was much of an exaggeration." ~Murbleflip

Que Sera, Sera

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bottle wrote:If one assumes a child is a piece of property rather than a human person, I suppose that is a valid comparison.

A minor is not a piece of property, but it is the ward of the guardian and/or parent. We should defer to the judgement of this guardian or parent in the welfare of their minor.

Why? Why should society value a parent's judgment over objective measures of child welfare? (I ask from a purely pragmatic standpoint, here, since the morals don't interest me.) What is the gain to society from permitting parents to have such power, given that the only qualification to become a parent is that one must be able to obtain or birth a child?

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Bottle wrote:
Caninope wrote:A minor is not a piece of property, but it is the ward of the guardian and/or parent. We should defer to the judgement of this guardian or parent in the welfare of their minor.

Why? Why should society value a parent's judgment over objective measures of child welfare? (I ask from a purely pragmatic standpoint, here, since the morals don't interest me.) What is the gain to society from permitting parents to have such power, given that the only qualification to become a parent is that one must be able to obtain or birth a child?

Because it is far more efficient to allow parents to make choices for their children, as they almost always have the most information, the most relevant information, and the best information, as well as the best intentions for their children.

I do not, of course, advocate giving up objective measures fo welfare. I do support, for instance, ensuring that homeschooled children meet certain standards.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Actually, that's not true depending on state.
"You need a license to drive a car" "Not on your own property" "You need a license to drive a car on a road" "Not if it's a tractor!"
Is that seriously your argument right now? Not needing a license to drive a tractor from barn to field two roads over is more like not needing a license to let your kid watch educational shows on PBS than not needing a license to teach your kid at home instead of letting a licensed teacher at a school teach them.

...What?

I was simply pointing out an exception in the analogy (which, incidentally, doesn't only apply to tractors as you seem to think but 'farm equipment' as a whole, which includes vehicles) I wasn't trying to expand that analogy in some manner. Sorry if that's what it looked like I suppose it did look that way didn't it?

My apologies, I was just making an aside, it didn't really have much to do with the thread topic. My bad.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bottle wrote:Why? Why should society value a parent's judgment over objective measures of child welfare? (I ask from a purely pragmatic standpoint, here, since the morals don't interest me.) What is the gain to society from permitting parents to have such power, given that the only qualification to become a parent is that one must be able to obtain or birth a child?

Because it is far more efficient to allow parents to make choices for their children, as they almost always have the most information, the most relevant information, and the best information, as well as the best intentions for their children.

I do not, of course, advocate giving up objective measures fo welfare. I do support, for instance, ensuring that homeschooled children meet certain standards.

I suppose I just don't see why parental judgment should be considered supreme. Certainly factor it in, but my experience has been that parents are frequently the worst judges of their child's actual needs and abilities.

I find it odd that I am here arguing for child welfare, when I generally dislike children (there are exceptions but not many) and wish nobody had taught them to speak.

Temujinn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Last edited by Temujinn on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.
Conserative Morality wrote:Is accusing someone of being a WASP likely to damage their reputation?.... I openly admit that I use it disparagingly. Something about the mentality of the group referred to being rather contrary to American values.
Do you know someone who might be a White Protestant of English ancestry, report them to your block Sargeant CM, and he will drag them before the New House Committee on Un-American Activities. Report your neighbors.

Temujinn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Bottle wrote:
Caninope wrote:Because it is far more efficient to allow parents to make choices for their children, as they almost always have the most information, the most relevant information, and the best information, as well as the best intentions for their children.

I suppose I just don't see why parental judgment should be considered supreme. Certainly factor it in, but my experience has been that parents are frequently the worst judges of their child's actual needs and abilities.

I find it odd that I am here arguing for child welfare, when I generally dislike children (there are exceptions but not many) and wish nobody had taught them to speak.

It has been your experience based on what you judge to be the needs and abilities of a child, that the parent's judgement is flawed. I am curious what qualifies you to be the qualified judge of what is and is not proper in that instance?
Last edited by Temujinn on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.
Conserative Morality wrote:Is accusing someone of being a WASP likely to damage their reputation?.... I openly admit that I use it disparagingly. Something about the mentality of the group referred to being rather contrary to American values.
Do you know someone who might be a White Protestant of English ancestry, report them to your block Sargeant CM, and he will drag them before the New House Committee on Un-American Activities. Report your neighbors.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Dragoria wrote: "You need a license to drive a car" "Not on your own property" "You need a license to drive a car on a road" "Not if it's a tractor!"

...What?

I was simply pointing out an exception in the analogy (which, incidentally, doesn't only apply to tractors as you seem to think but 'farm equipment' as a whole, which includes vehicles) I wasn't trying to expand that analogy in some manner. Sorry if that's what it looked like I suppose it did look that way didn't it?

My apologies, I was just making an aside, it didn't really have much to do with the thread topic. My bad.
Tractor/combine/farmtruck/Gator/ATV/whatever. Growing up on a farm, I'm aware there's more kinds of farm equipment than just "tractors".

Driving the tractor/"farm equipment" (which is longer and more of a pain to type out in hotter-than-hell weather when your brain is already half on strike) impacts mainly only yourself. If you hit someone else, you and your "farm equipment" are liable out the ass.
Teaching impacts the person you are teaching. In a pretty big way, at that. If you're doing something to someone that's going to have such a huge impact on how that person is going to develop and interface/interact with the world around them, you'd damned well better know what you're doing.

Que Sera, Sera

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Bottle wrote:
Caninope wrote:Because it is far more efficient to allow parents to make choices for their children, as they almost always have the most information, the most relevant information, and the best information, as well as the best intentions for their children.

Actually, children still learn to speak even in cultures in which the parents refrain from speaking to the child.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Caninope wrote:
Bottle wrote:Why? Why should society value a parent's judgment over objective measures of child welfare? (I ask from a purely pragmatic standpoint, here, since the morals don't interest me.) What is the gain to society from permitting parents to have such power, given that the only qualification to become a parent is that one must be able to obtain or birth a child?

I think the question of why the parents want to homeschool the kids is important. Why is that preferable to just helping them with their homework and teaching them on top of that? Homeschooling typically means you need at least one parent to stay home, and it also makes it a pain in the ass for the kid to get to know peers.

When it comes to homeschooling, it isn't about the kid, like you make it seem, it's about the parents. It's something they're all about, not, "Oh, this particular kid needs it."
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Temujinn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Dragoria wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Actually, that's not true depending on state.
"You need a license to drive a car" "Not on your own property" "Okay, you need a license to drive a car on a road" "Not if it's a tractor!"

You presume that gaining that License empowers the teacher with some magical ability that it doesnt. Never forget that a teacher is just doing their JOB, and I dont know about you but every day, every single day, I encounter more people who do the bare minimum at their Job, then people who do their damned best... why on earth would teachers be a single bit different? Its not like the ankle bitters they teach are theirs.
Last edited by Temujinn on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.

Dragoria
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dragoria » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Temujinn wrote:Ignoring the 19 pages of typical NSG fair, Homeschooling shouldnt be illegal because statistically it provides equal or superior education to public schooling. Thats it.
It limits the child's access to viewpoints that might differ from the parents, limits their access to peers to practice and learn appropriate social skills, among other limitations.

Que Sera, Sera

Moralem Populi
Spokesperson

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

If it is regulated, than by all means.

Postby Moralem Populi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm

As long as the Government ensures that the kids are meeting basic criteria, homeschooling should be 100% legal.
Conservative-Libertarian, College Student, San Diego

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

I think the question of why the parents want to homeschool the kids is important. Why is that preferable to just helping them with their homework and teaching them on top of that? Homeschooling typically means you need at least one parent to stay home, and it also makes it a pain in the ass for the kid to get to know peers.

When it comes to homeschooling, it isn't about the kid, like you make it seem, it's about the parents. It's something they're all about, not, "Oh, this particular kid needs it."

There are many possible answers to that question.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General