NATION

PASSWORD

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

Yes, it's bad for kids.
9%
Yes, but make it legal only in certain circumstances
12%
Neutral/Don't care
4%
No, Im not a fan of homeschooling but we shouldn't make it illegal.
29%
No.
43%
No, in fact make homeschooling the only form of school.
2%

Total votes : 428

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:33 pm

The Holy Michigan Empire wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Well the Bible says all our tongues came from the Tower of Babel, although some scientists claim to have found texts that indicate languages evolved from other languages. The faithful remain skeptical.

I have heard this one before.

However, literal readings of Genesis do often strike odd.

Especially when they contradict things that are scientifically observable. Such as evolution, be it biological or linguistic.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:44 pm

You know, there are some times I wish I was homeschooled, if only so I could play guitar more :p

In all seriousness though, the Texas education system sucks. We spend all year studying for a test that really proves nothing except if you're a good test taker or not. Quite frankly, it's not fair, but I doubt the state legislator will do anything about it :roll:

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:47 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
I have heard this one before.

However, literal readings of Genesis do often strike odd.

Especially when they contradict things that are scientifically observable. Such as evolution, be it biological or linguistic.

It's not that.

-God looks down and says "Oh shit, sin."
-God activates restart
-"Oh wait, I like this Noah guy."
-"Yo! Noah! build a ship and stuff."
-Noah says "Why?"
-"Rain. Oh, and save all of my animal works, kk?"
-"I'm like. . .hundreds of years old."
-"You'll be fine."
-Builds ship and stuffs family and animals aboard
-God said "Let there be much water."
-The angels then said "You know you could have just, plagued them or something."
-"lolnubs."
-Then rain and everything is wiped out.
-Noah lands and somehow everyone procreates. Noah sells some land to some guy who I guess wasn't wiped out by a huge flood or something.

I always thought Genesis was more symbolic then anything else.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:51 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Especially when they contradict things that are scientifically observable. Such as evolution, be it biological or linguistic.

It's not that.

-God activates restart
-Noah says "Why?"
-"You'll be fine."
-The angels then said "You know you could have just, plagued them or something."
-"lolnubs."
-Noah lands and somehow everyone procreates. Noah sells some land to some guy who I guess wasn't wiped out by a huge flood or something.

I was talking more about the creation myth. Humanity is a product of evolution.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Surfistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Surfistan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Like I said a few pages ago, well, no, only if you're homeschooled by Michio Keiko, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Dawkins and Chomsky, or a contemperary with an equal amount of experience and talent in his/her educational field, then you likely will have one of the most critical thinking children in the world.

Maybe some famous historian too.
Last edited by Surfistan on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:54 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
It's not that.

-God activates restart
-Noah says "Why?"
-"You'll be fine."
-"lolnubs."

I was talking more about the creation myth. Humanity is a product of evolution.

Depends on the view of the 'creation myth'.

There are many forms of the belief.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:I was talking more about the creation myth. Humanity is a product of evolution.

Isn't your flag that cartoon Christian tomato?

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:

Isn't your flag that cartoon Christian tomato?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeggieTales

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:03 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:I was talking more about the creation myth. Humanity is a product of evolution.

Well whichever one thinks evolution is a bogus process.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:06 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Well whichever one thinks evolution is a bogus process.

Well, there is the one christian creationism which denies all forms of evolution, the one that only denies that man comes from the common ancestor of apes, the one that believes the earth is 4000 years old, the one that believes the earth is 6000 years old, and probably the ones that are 'meh' on the entire issue and agree on some parts but not on others.

I believe in evolution in a small sense, but not enough to agree with someone that man has a common ancestor with apes.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Well whichever one thinks evolution is a bogus process.

Well, there is the one christian creationism which denies all forms of evolution, the one that only denies that man comes from the common ancestor of apes, the one that believes the earth is 4000 years old, the one that believes the earth is 6000 years old, and probably the ones that are 'meh' on the entire issue and agree on some parts but not on others.

I believe in evolution in a small sense, but not enough to agree with someone that man has a common ancestor with apes.

Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Corvus Metallum wrote:You know, there are some times I wish I was homeschooled, if only so I could play guitar more :p

In all seriousness though, the Texas education system sucks. We spend all year studying for a test that really proves nothing except if you're a good test taker or not. Quite frankly, it's not fair, but I doubt the state legislator will do anything about it :roll:

Have you considered trying to homeschool yourself? So called "unschooling"? Many people have done this with great success.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Teenage-Liber ... 0962959170
Did you see a ghost?

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:

Ooooh, purdy colors.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:[/img/]http://i.stack.imgur.com/RtfaM.jpg[/img/]

Ooooh, purdy colors.

Do you understand how man shares a common ancestor with the other Great Apes now, or are you just ignoring the argument?
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Corvus Metallum wrote:You know, there are some times I wish I was homeschooled, if only so I could play guitar more :p

Have you considered trying to homeschool yourself? So called "unschooling"? Many people have done this with great success.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Teenage-Liber ... 0962959170

:lol2:

Pultridus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pultridus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:15 pm

No we shoulden't make it illigal.you just need a permit to home-school.
-Pultridus has a growing military and would love offers for weapons.TG me if you have an offer!
-I am a recruter for The Imperial Gaurd!
-I have a big factbook so please check it out!
-I own a Design Storefront here!http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=252115&p=15514607&sid=bf8883ef91aa79f5a877a98a02468c43#p15514607
anthem-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJOkpoj09fg
"if the enemy has a flamethrower,use a heat-seeking missile!"
Tempting isn't it.NEVER will i let you hold my skittles!
For:Classic liberalism,fairness,gay marriage rights,education.
Against:race and sex discrimination,fascism,being a jerk.
☻/ This is Bob, copy & paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world.

Devidia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Devidia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:19 pm

It shouldent be illegal and people whould have the maximum freedom when it comes to deciding important things like their children's education.

A childs education is such an important thing, and is the responsibility of parents. Not the government. No nanny states.

The parent should be able to decide whether to home school a child and send the child to a normal school, and in the case of homeschooling the parent should be completely free to choose any tutor they see fit, without the need for licencing.

Each individual parent should be able to decide what is best for their children, that decision should not be taken away from them by government.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:

The intentions here are good but this image will not convince anyone.

It's simply not a valid argument. The author asserts that the change from one color to another is "macro-evolution" but just because such an assertion is made does not make it true. A creationist could write the same story and assert that this is all micro-evolution and be no less incorrect.

Color gradients are also not a good model for how evolution works. This illustration is as arbitrary and silly as the type of "proof" that creationists produce to demonstrate the opposite.
Did you see a ghost?

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Conscentia wrote:
The Holy Michigan Empire wrote:Ooooh, purdy colors.

Do you understand how man shares a common ancestor with the other Great Apes now, or are you just ignoring the argument?

In general yes.

Evolution is much like family trees, they branch off with a single person being at it's helm if I am not mistaken.

[edit] Agree or not, I will probably not see the argument, I am otter here.
Last edited by The Holy Michigan Empire on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:[/img/]http://i.stack.imgur.com/RtfaM.jpg[/img/]

The intentions here are good but this image will not convince anyone.
It's simply not a valid argument. The author asserts that the change from one color to another is "macro-evolution" but just because such an assertion is made does not make it true. A creationist could write the same story and assert that this is all micro-evolution and be no less incorrect.
Color gradients are also not a good model for how evolution works. This illustration is as arbitrary and silly as the type of "proof" that creationists produce to demonstrate the opposite.

The point is that very small changes can eventually add up to a large and noticeable change, similar to how individual mutations add up & eventually lead to speciation.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:33 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Well whichever one thinks evolution is a bogus process.

Look at the damn fossils and the genetic similarity. I mean, fuck. "I believe in evolution in a small sense, but not enough to agree with someone that French has a common ancestor with Spanish."
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Natapoc wrote:The intentions here are good but this image will not convince anyone.

The point is that very small changes can eventually add up to a large and noticeable change, similar to how individual mutations add up & eventually lead to speciation.

Yes but this does not demonstrate that point in a way that contradicts the actual argument being made by creationists. It also does not show anything about speciation.

In biology, All the colors above are still one species because a species is not defined by "looking different".

It's defined as being able to reproduce successfully. If this were an accurate analogy one would be unable to "breed(mix)" yellow with "red" to get orange.

Since all these colors can be mixed to produce another viable color (which can still reproduce), you can't call separate colors species.

The definition of species allows for animals that look "different" to an observer to still be the same species.

Again a species is defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. If we oversimply so much that we let red be a species and blue be a species then we must conclude that red and blue are the same species.
Did you see a ghost?

New Israelia
Attaché

Founded: Sep 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Israelia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Absolutely not! I am genuinely surprised you would even make such a suggestion.

With the anti-Christian bias in public education today, homeschooling is the only viable alternative to provide fundamentalist values to our children, something they aren't getting in public education.

Homeschooling is where it's at in regards to decent Christian education.
HMSE Markus Abernathy
Emperor of New Israelia
WA Delegate, League of Christian Nations
Executive Board Member, National Centre Party

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:47 pm

New Israelia wrote:Absolutely not! I am genuinely surprised you would even make such a suggestion.

With the anti-Christian bias in public education today, homeschooling is the only viable alternative to provide fundamentalist values to our children, something they aren't getting in public education.

Homeschooling is where it's at in regards to decent Christian education.

Funnily, most of the history books in the Christian homeschooling were Pro-Zionist. To indoctrinate all the kiddies so they'll support your genocidal plans.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Yes, of course.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads