NATION

PASSWORD

Repost of the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps in Syria Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Dilange wrote:Cool. I guess?

No, not cool at all. Seriously, Ukraine? Lord.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Blekksprutia wrote:
Dilange wrote:Cool. I guess?

No, not cool at all. Seriously, Ukraine? Lord.

Ukraine is basically Russia in the modern IR world.

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Dilange wrote:
Blekksprutia wrote:No, not cool at all. Seriously, Ukraine? Lord.

Yeah, but my family in Ukraine would be detained in Syria for being Jewish. That's why I was so scandalized/ashamed at this. I know that it must be mercenary.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Blekksprutia wrote:
Dilange wrote:Ukraine is basically Russia in the modern IR world.

Yeah, but my family in Ukraine would be detained in Syria for being Jewish. That's why I was so scandalized/ashamed at this. I know that it must be mercenary.

What the fuck has that got to do with anything, I mean...what?
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Brocwika wrote:
Risottia wrote:Considering how Russia was born as a half-Slavic, half-Viking country, well...

And half mongol too Eurasian... as they say. .

Did you miss Ris' reference to the timeline? Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be part Mongol, but let's not pretend here that Mongols had any influence on Russia prior to the thirteenth century.

Brocwika wrote:Soldier of Fortune, mercenary, contract killer, whatever man, all comes down to the same thing, a warrior for hire. And of course they come from everywhere, Arabs like the Eastern European ones though.

And I know how WW1 started, but the reason Russia allied itself with Serbia, was because it was another Eastern Orthodox nation.

The Russo-Austrian Relationship was declining since the 1850s. Russia wasn't going to side with Austria, simple as that. On the other hand, Serbia was generally on the side of Russia, and Russia's Foreign Policy is usually based on reciprocity. Being Orthodox certainly helped, but it wasn't the only reason.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Brocwika
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:51 am

Dilange wrote:
Blekksprutia wrote:No, not cool at all. Seriously, Ukraine? Lord.

Nah, it's a just a more eastern, radioactive Poland, with less catholics.
Last edited by Brocwika on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintery, Mintery, Cuttery, Corn
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
One flew east, one flew west...
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

My Website (it's not finished but check it out)

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Brocwika wrote:
Dilange wrote:Ukraine is basically Russia in the modern IR world.

It turns out that Belarus to the North got more contamination then Ukraine. Around 23% of Belarus is contaminated. The Ukrainian based nuclear power plant was near there southern border. Could explain why Belarus is building there own nuclear plant near there Northern border with Lithuania. Found out Kaliningrad is doing the same but on there eastern border with Lithuania.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Brocwika wrote:

It turns out that Belarus to the North got more contamination then Ukraine. Around 23% of Belarus is contaminated. The Ukrainian based nuclear power plant was near there southern border. Could explain why Belarus is building there own nuclear plant near there Northern border with Lithuania. Found out Kaliningrad is doing the same but on there eastern border with Lithuania.

Was contaminated. It's not contaminated anymore. Fuck those idiots who decided to try out running nuclear reactors at 110% of capacity, and then try to cover it up.
Last edited by Shofercia on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Why does the ukranians care about syria exactly?
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Densaner wrote:I posted on the other thread. But it just shows how fucked up the whole Syrian situation is.

Anyone advocating intervention in that vortex needs psychiatric help.

But Western imperialism... and... and... Russia supporting the people loving Assad regime!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:Why does the ukranians care about syria exactly?

They, like the Russians, are just great humanitarians.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

From the OP:

Shofercia wrote:
Referring to poor living conditions of veterans in the country, namely “the lack of housing”, the former officer says that due to this situation, veterans can offer their skills to Syria in it’s efforts to restore constitutional order.

Recognising the fact that Syrian law does not allow foreigners to join the national armed forces, Razumovsky said Syria could give citizenship status to the volunteers, provide insurance to the volunteer’s families to help with the purchase of property after the war.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:

But of coarse! And hezbollah too!
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Densaner wrote:I posted on the other thread. But it just shows how fucked up the whole Syrian situation is.

Anyone advocating intervention in that vortex needs psychiatric help.

But Western imperialism... and... and... Russia supporting the people loving Assad regime!

Still doesn't justify interventionism. These are volunteers going. The Russian Taxpayers, and/or Ukrainian Taxpayers, aren't paying for the intervention. It won't mean that Russia will get bogged down in the Middle East. Etc, etc, etc.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:

But of coarse! And hezbollah too!

And the strawmen are also great humanitarians!
Last edited by Shofercia on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Still doesn't justify interventionism. These are volunteers going. The Russian Taxpayers, and/or Ukrainian Taxpayers, aren't paying for the intervention. It won't mean that Russia will get bogged down in the Middle East. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't disagree, I think it's rather pitiful though that people are critiquing the US and Europe for daring to think about intervention, whether it be troops on the ground or sending weapons, as the Russians are sending arms to Assad and only worsening the situation even more.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:But of coarse! And hezbollah too!

Sweet Lady Truth is quite the bitch.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Brocwika wrote:Russian and Ukranian volunteers.

AKA "mercenaries"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18321748

Middle Eastern dictators have a habit of calling on the help of Eastern European contracted killers.

Libya is in the Middle East now?
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Shofercia wrote:

I don't disagree, I think it's rather pitiful though that people are critiquing the US and Europe for daring to think about intervention, whether it be troops on the ground or sending weapons, as the Russians are sending arms to Assad and only worsening the situation even more.

You can think whatever you want. But when thoughts turn into posts, I get to criticize them. Additionally, the Russian Taxpayers aren't paying for the weapons. Whereas, I'm still waiting for the Iraqi War to pay for itself, as was promised, and I doubt that I'll ever get that taxpayer money back.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Sweet Lady Truth is quite the bitch.

I'm sorry, was anyone actually arguing that Russians or Ukrainians are Great Humanitarians, or that Hezbollah is in the fight for Civil and Social Rights?

New Octopucta
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Octopucta » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 pm

It's a shame that Ukraine takes such shameful care of its veterans that they are willing to offer their services to a dictator in order to get a decent life, but I can't really fault the vets for trying to feed their families.

Prizea
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prizea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Shofercia wrote:

The trouble with the US intervening is that they often mess it up. It could very easily end up as a new Afghanistan, with US weapons being provided as a counter to the Russians and later being used to fight the US as well.

I think the EU countries should intervene though, in particular France.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Shofercia wrote:

You can think whatever you want. But when thoughts turn into posts, I get to criticize them. Additionally, the Russian Taxpayers aren't paying for the weapons. Whereas, I'm still waiting for the Iraqi War to pay for itself, as was promised, and I doubt that I'll ever get that taxpayer money back.

Hmm. Interesting, I didn't realize by critiquing Russia's selling of weapons to Assad, thereby worsening the situation, that I've suddenly embraced western interventionism and the Iraq War. One mistake doesn't justify another. It has nothing to do with money, it's about doing the decent and right thing. Profitting from a bunch of Syrians brutally butchering each other can hardly be justified.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Prizea wrote:

The trouble with the US intervening is that they often mess it up. It could very easily end up as a new Afghanistan, with US weapons being provided as a counter to the Russians and later being used to fight the US as well.

I think the EU countries should intervene though, in particular France.

I don't recall saying the US or the EU should intervene...I just don't think the Russians should be selling Assad weapons.

Prizea
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Prizea » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Brocwika wrote:Russian and Ukranian volunteers.

AKA "mercenaries"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18321748

Middle Eastern dictators have a habit of calling on the help of Eastern European contracted killers.

Libya is in the Middle East now?

He is having a rant. You can't let simple facts such as geography get in the way of a good rant. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General