NATION

PASSWORD

God is not good

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Koevoet
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Koevoet » Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am

Implying God exists
Strange—is it not?—that of the myriads who
Before us passed the door of Darkness through,
Not one returns to tell us of the road
Which to discover we must travel too.

Lengleland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lengleland » Fri May 10, 2013 10:16 am

I most vehemently disagree.

:(
Likes: Christianity, Democracy, Old Music, Information Technology, Liberty.

Dislikes: Anarchy, Fascism, Communism, Rap, Mathematics, Katie Price, Same-Sex Marriage.

I call upon all British Citizens aged 16 and Over to visit: keepmarriagespecial.org.uk and sign the petition. Same-Sex Marriage is sin and to make this legal would be discarding gods law for marriage and changing the law of the land.

Cosmicus
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmicus » Fri May 10, 2013 10:16 am

The Sector Union wrote:
Zweite Alaje wrote:That is the entire flaw of projecting human attributes to the divine, it is pure arrogance on the part of humanity. The Earth and Humanity are but specks in the vastness of creation.

How did germs that walked out of water get like this??????

With millions and billion of years worth of evolution.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:God is good. All the time.

And All the time, God IS Good.

When its followers are a bunch of maniacs wielding axes yelling "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!" at the top of their lungs, along with some other funny things like "KILL MAIM BURN!" or "BREAK THEIR BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKS!!!"...

... It doesn't strike me as very good. :unsure:
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 am

Zweite Alaje wrote:That is the entire flaw of projecting human attributes to the divine, it is pure arrogance on the part of humanity. The Earth and Humanity are but specks in the vastness of creation.

Knocking up Mary
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 am

Koevoet wrote:>God exists

FTFY

Councordia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Councordia » Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 am

Trotskylvania wrote:I would like to pose a hypothetical, primarily aimed at those who are followers of Abrahamic faiths, who are doctrinally supposed to believe in a personal, benevolent creator deity, who is concerned with your well-being and virtue, and has some "plan" for you on some level.

Suppose for a second that God reveals himself to you, and there's no real room for reasonable doubt. But he's not quite what you'd expect. Oh, he's definitely interested in your nation, and you by extension. He wants your people to prosper. But he's quite insistent on one thing: he's not too keen on everyone else. In fact, he makes it clear that he's not good, and never has been. He's just (at the moment) on your side.

Now suppose a different scenario. You find out all the same things. But tough luck, Chuck, you're not one of the chosen people. Doesn't really matter the reason, in the grand scheme of things it's petty and arbitrary. God favors someone else, and really doesn't care what happens to you.

In these scenarios, what would become of your religious faith, and the teachings it had espoused?

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Abrahamic God.
"and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me." (Genesis 22:18) Also 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
<<Puppet of Adventus Secundus and Gratia Infinita>>

His Highness King Friedrich Sautter III
Crown Prince Martin Sautter
His Highness Prince Willhelm Duke of Falkbarsch.

IC population: 12 Million

Koevoet
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koevoet » Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Koevoet wrote:>God exists

FTFY

>implying

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

Pope Joan wrote:The article says, and I agree, that the true and original revealed Abrahamic God as witnessed in the scriptures of Judaism and Christianity and attested by personal experience of believers over the centuries does not claim nor does God need to claim omnipotence; that characteristic was a later invention, an accretion, and not faithful to the Biblical witness.
Judaism and Christianity state this being created the universe. Yes, that level of power necessitates omnipotence, at least in the degree we understand. Regardless, you still have yet to answer what makes this being a god if they are not omnipotent.
Last edited by Threlizdun on Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

Koevoet wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:FTFY

>implying

The pre-gator and green text changes it to mean implying.

Kaizakhstan
Spokesperson

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaizakhstan » Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am

Koevoet wrote:Implying God exists

>2013
>not believing in God

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:God is good. All the time.

And All the time, God IS Good.

Code: Select all
init.QuoteEpicurus
print "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?"

My nation demonstrates my actual political views, for the most part.
Economic Left/Right: 0.36
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.77

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 am

This meme needs to die. Preferably a messy and disfiguring death.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 am

Kaizakhstan wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:
init.QuoteEpicurus
print "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?"

Hm. Then how can godless people do good things?
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri May 10, 2013 10:29 am

Lengleland wrote:I most vehemently disagree.

:(

Disagree with what? If it's a specific post, quote it. Or do you just object to the concept of hypotheticals?

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Koevoet
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Koevoet » Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Koevoet wrote:>implying

The pre-gator and green text changes it to mean implying.

:I

No..just...no

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 am

Kaizakhstan wrote:

>2013
>not believing in God

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
init.QuoteEpicurus

Uh huh. See, I don't believe in your imaginary friend.

I'm responsible for saving, no joke, at least 58 lives in my life. I've saved the lives of people who were my sworn enemy. I've saved the lives of people who wanted to kill my friends.

I've saved the lives of people who condemn me to hell for existing.

If your god CAN and chooses NOT to? He's guilty of criminally negligent apathy.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri May 10, 2013 10:32 am

Threlizdun wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:The article says, and I agree, that the true and original revealed Abrahamic God as witnessed in the scriptures of Judaism and Christianity and attested by personal experience of believers over the centuries does not claim nor does God need to claim omnipotence; that characteristic was a later invention, an accretion, and not faithful to the Biblical witness.
Judaism and Christianity state this being created the university. Yes, that level of power necessitates omnipotence, at least in the degree we understand. Regardless, you still have yet to answer what makes this being a god if they are not omnipotent.

I could create a university with just a few million dollars…
Kaizakhstan wrote:

>2013
>not believing in God

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
init.QuoteEpicurus

Einstein never said that. Which is good, because it's an incredibly shitty argument.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri May 10, 2013 10:36 am

NERVUN wrote:Ah! Belief... Um... the whole scenario is a bloody waste of time then.

God just appeared and in such a way that there cannot possibly be any doubt that this is indeed God.

Belief just went bai-bai, we're now operating on something proven. In effect, I'm being asked what would change if someone could prove, without a doubt, that George Washington was actually a secret British spy. Well... not much. I'd still tend to follow the ideals given in the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence as being fairly good and worth venerating, even if the founding father turned out to be not what I thought.

You seem to think that belief is like a switch; a boolean matter if you will.

It's not.

Belief covers more than "Does God exist y/n", it covers questions like "Is God good?" "What makes God worthy of worship?" etc etc.
He is God. He is the force that, in my view, created and maintains everything. That's a pretty neat trick in my book.

So you worship him because the universe was created by him?
Honestly don't know. Are we talking about a God who is a dick and who doesn't like me, but more or less ignores me after just stating He doesn't like me or are we talking about someone who has an active dislike, or dislikes, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut if I juuuuuuuuuust make with some more tithes, he miiiiiiiight just change his mind?

What if we're talking about a God who favors your people (Like is a very personal and human term) and you, but despises the rest of the world.
And why would it? Again, what has actually changed? I (supposedly) have God's favor now. Well... I admit, I've got a nice life. Could be better, but it could also be a hell of a lot worse. But God showing up in Japan just to say, "Hey, got your back" does... what exactly? I mean, I doubt manna will start falling from the sky.

Well, if we're going with YHWH, it's happened once, why not again? If an omnipotent being started meddling in political affairs to make a single people in the world favored over all the others, I think that would certainly start to change things.
But let's say so, that would mean I'm on the right track. What's that track? Trying to treat others as I want to be treated. Help whomever I can, whenever I can. Do my best to be a good man/father/husband/friend/neighbor/teacher to those around me. Ok, I'll keep doing that then.

Again, you're caught up on:

1. How you already act.
2. How you THINK God wants you to act.
It's a neither, I'm just more interested in how atheists would take it, given God has just been proven, but He REALLY doesn't like you. Do you swallow your pride and start to worship just to hope He starts to, or do you hold out?

I've forged my beliefs to be compatible with the existence of a God or gods; I have no intention of worshiping them.
That's kind of the problem with this. Ok, He's a dick but if you (like a bad boss) do enough to make Him happy He will like you.

Why do you assume that?
The problem really is, He isn't a bad boss, He's God. It's not quite the same as I'm going to fight the good fight against the horrible dictator because you literally have no way to win and no hope.

No way to win and no hope?

To pretend that the only victory is the destruction of one's enemy or the preservation of oneself is foolishness. To do what is right is always a victory. To fight for what you believe in is always a victory. You see, this is the kind of argument that makes me leery of Christians (And I've heard it multiple times from many different people) - if you think that doing the right thing is dependent on what you do or do not get out of it, how can you call yourselves moral?
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 am

I'm not sure I understand the question... suppose God reveals himself to me and tells me that I'm one of the chosen people?

Sounds familiar.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri May 10, 2013 11:27 am

Considering that at the moment human attributes are the only ones we know of that could ever possibly be considered those of a God, they work just fine. Humanity may not even register as a blip on the intergalactic radar of the universe, but until we find something else greater than ourselves, it's all we have.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Judaism and Christianity state this being created the university. Yes, that level of power necessitates omnipotence, at least in the degree we understand. Regardless, you still have yet to answer what makes this being a god if they are not omnipotent.

Well I must admit, if God created the university then God does indeed have a great deal of evil for which to answer.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri May 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Pope Joan wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Judaism and Christianity state this being created the university. Yes, that level of power necessitates omnipotence, at least in the degree we understand. Regardless, you still have yet to answer what makes this being a god if they are not omnipotent.

Well I must admit, if God created the university then God does indeed have a great deal of evil for which to answer.

I can just see the line of angry professors all screaming "Tenure!" at the top of their ethereal lungs.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri May 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Kaizakhstan wrote:

>2013
>not believing in God

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
init.QuoteEpicurus

Einstein never said that. What he did say, in a cable to a Jewish Rabbi in 1929: "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

Albert Einstein was a pantheist, and considered any belief in a personal deity to be deeply superstitious.

Also, obligatory
>Evil is the absence of good
Lol nope
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri May 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Menassa wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question... suppose God reveals himself to me and tells me that I'm one of the chosen people?

Sounds familiar.

Yeah. It means your god doesn't care about other people. Or that for each nation of people, there's different gods.

Either way, we will have ethnic discrimination.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

The OP is a hypothetical. This sort of masturbation just makes you, and the rest of us atheists, look bad.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General