NATION

PASSWORD

What are your favorite historical misconceptions?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Cosara wrote:That man landed on the moon.

A climate-change denier, a moon-landing denier ... what won't you deny?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Great. Now Buzz Aldrin is going to punch NSG out of existence.

Everyone thank Cosara.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Death Metal wrote:

Everyone thank Cosara.

And at 83, dude has a mean hook.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

A climate-change denier, a moon-landing denier ... what won't you deny?

He might deny being a denier.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Death Metal wrote:

Everyone thank Cosara.
Good. I think I might be just starting to get tired of Bart Sibrel getting socked in the jaw on youtube repeatedly.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Everyone thank Cosara.
Good. I think I might be just starting to get tired of Bart Sibrel getting socked in the jaw on youtube repeatedly.

Heathen.

That is one of the best punches on YouTube.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Good. I think I might be just starting to get tired of Bart Sibrel getting socked in the jaw on youtube repeatedly.

Heathen.

True. But it should be treated as a fine chianti. Reserved for special occasions of levity.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Heathen.

True. But it should be treated as a fine chianti. Reserved for special occasions of levity.

Like gourmet cannibalism with a side of fava beans?

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:True. But it should be treated as a fine chianti. Reserved for special occasions of levity.

Like gourmet cannibalism with a side of fava beans?
....tsstsstsstsstsstsstss... yeah that's hard to get across in text.

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

That America won the space-race.
Economic Left/Right: -3.1
Social Liberitarian/Authoritarian -2.2
I am a center-left moderate social libertarian.

The problem with quotes on the Internet, is the difficulty to verify it's authenticity -Abraham Lincoln

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Northern Artic Islands wrote:That America won the space-race.

That there was a space race.

Hollorous
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollorous » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Jinos wrote:
Hollorous wrote:You won't find any agrument from me about the Union army being the superior of the two. I think Grant is a strong candidate for best American general of all time.

The best? Certainly not. Grant was the blunt instrument that Lincoln used to hammer the South with. Lincoln needed victories, Grant gave them to him, but at a cost. And the cost was his horrendous casualty numbers. The Union army under Grant often took similar or worse losses to the Confederates; Grant however realized (unlike commanders he replaced like McClellen) that his army could take those losses.

I don't view "trading on even terms" as the hallmark of a tactical genius. He was competent, and knew how to play to the strengths of his Army (manpower and logistics), but he wasn't a better tactician than Lee, or certainly any other brilliant Generals in American history.

Again, I think the South only could've won the war by sapping the political will of the North to fight and getting a favorable settlement that allowed for their independence. They certainly weren't capable of flattening the entire North into submission. Basically the difference between winning and keeping the Union from winning, if that makes sense.

There's evidence that the CSA came pretty close to doing so. Lincoln's reelection wasn't a sure thing, and had the Copperheads actually been able to accumulate more political capital, and had the Union army not secured some of its wins, the USA could've backed out of the war.

Regarding Grant, that's a fair opinion, though I should point out that Lee's casualty rate was much higher by about an extra 60,000 casualities. Also, Grant didn't really trade on even terms until he fought Lee. While he was out west, he tended to inflict much greater losses on the Confederate army than what his army suffered. So the "one for one" assessment of Grant is pretty one dimensional, at least if you're focusing on his military career as a whole.

Hollorous
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollorous » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 pm

EuropaUniversal wrote:That the Patriots single handedly defeated the British in the American Revolution.

It's all part of the grand American tradition of slighting the French whenever possible. :)

Northern Artic Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Artic Islands » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:09 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Northern Artic Islands wrote:That America won the space-race.

That there was a space race.

That there was space.
Economic Left/Right: -3.1
Social Liberitarian/Authoritarian -2.2
I am a center-left moderate social libertarian.

The problem with quotes on the Internet, is the difficulty to verify it's authenticity -Abraham Lincoln

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Northern Artic Islands wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:That there was a space race.

That there was space.

That "there" was.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Kleomentia wrote:The Great Slavic Migration is one of them. Seriously people?

What does the misconception state that's not true?

The fact that Slavs came from eastern Europe to different areas in Europe. Have you ever gave it a single thought on if it really happened? Many mathematicians prove it didn't happen and that its false. Millions of people needed to travel in order to keep their DNA, and they also had to have tons and tons of supplies. Since whole families would be traveling. And then we have other nations giving their homeland to random barbarians that just come and say "I can haz your land, plz.". Most of which those "natives" were very known to be warrior nations. So no, the migration didn't happen. Slavs are in Europe far before that.
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

Xathranaar
Minister

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Kleomentia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What does the misconception state that's not true?

The fact that Slavs came from eastern Europe to different areas in Europe. Have you ever gave it a single thought on if it really happened? Many mathematicians prove it didn't happen and that its false. Millions of people needed to travel in order to keep their DNA, and they also had to have tons and tons of supplies. Since whole families would be traveling. And then we have other nations giving their homeland to random barbarians that just come and say "I can haz your land, plz.". Most of which those "natives" were very known to be warrior nations. So no, the migration didn't happen. Slavs are in Europe far before that.

Err... but we know this sort of thing did happen. Surely you don't think that the Magyars are indigenous?
My views summarized.
The Gospel According to Queen.
It is possible that some of my posts may not be completely serious.

Kleomentia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kleomentia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Xathranaar wrote:
Kleomentia wrote:The fact that Slavs came from eastern Europe to different areas in Europe. Have you ever gave it a single thought on if it really happened? Many mathematicians prove it didn't happen and that its false. Millions of people needed to travel in order to keep their DNA, and they also had to have tons and tons of supplies. Since whole families would be traveling. And then we have other nations giving their homeland to random barbarians that just come and say "I can haz your land, plz.". Most of which those "natives" were very known to be warrior nations. So no, the migration didn't happen. Slavs are in Europe far before that.

Err... but we know this sort of thing did happen. Surely you don't think that the Magyars are indigenous?

What makes your history more accurate then mine?
NSG's God of Derp and Randomness, Monarchist&Capitalist and a patriotic Christian Serb
Also, wubwubwubwubwubwubWUBwubwubwubwubwubwub...

"In this primitive world of greed and stupidity, peace can only be achieved through fear, a brute military force which will unite the world under one flag!"
"We know nothing, but wish to do everything."
"Kosovo is Serbia! Failing to acknowledge that either proves your ignorance or lack of education."
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
BLASPHEMY! THERE HE IS! IMMA CUMMIN' JESUS!!!

*jumps out window*

I'm quite sure Jesus didn't wish to know that.
National Information
Join Slavya!

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Death Metal wrote:The notion of the US winning WWII almost singlehandedly would be mine.

Without America's manufacturing base, the Allies would've lost the war. America brought to the Allies something that history, and most people in general, tend to gloss over, and consistently have dominated in this field for decades (even today); logistics.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

Xathranaar
Minister

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xathranaar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Kleomentia wrote:
Xathranaar wrote:Err... but we know this sort of thing did happen. Surely you don't think that the Magyars are indigenous?

What makes your history more accurate then mine?

Umm... consensus of relevant experts?

Seriously, do you think Magyars are indigenous? What about Turks? If you don't then you have to admit such things are at least possible, and the best historiography I have seen on this indicates that Slavic peoples originate somewhere in the region of the Pripet Marshes, in Southern Belarus.
My views summarized.
The Gospel According to Queen.
It is possible that some of my posts may not be completely serious.

Priory Academy USSR
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priory Academy USSR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Jinos wrote:
Death Metal wrote:The notion of the US winning WWII almost singlehandedly would be mine.

Without America's manufacturing base, the Allies would've lost the war. America brought to the Allies something that history, and most people in general, tend to gloss over, and consistently have dominated in this field for decades (even today); logistics.

We would have lost without any of the Big Three, to be honest.
Call me what you will. Some people prefer 'Idiot'
Economic Compass
Left -7.00
Libertarian -2.67

Nicer potlimitomaha
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nicer potlimitomaha » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Jinos wrote:

Not neccesarily.
Both in North Africa and Russia, the Axis suffered devastating losses that would have likely led to defeat even without the american reinforcements. Slower victory but the allies would have won nonetheless.
Joined in 2012. Recently rejoined after a 6 year pause.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Nicer potlimitomaha wrote:
Jinos wrote:

Not neccesarily.
Both in North Africa and Russia, the Axis suffered devastating losses that would have likely led to defeat even without the american reinforcements. Slower victory but the allies would have won nonetheless.
Logistics isn't just manufacture on a large scale, it's the movement of those supplies to where their needed most.

Seriously, consider how Patton was able to sweep across Europe so quickly; it's because behind the hammer of the Third Army there was a vast network of ammo and fuel dumps with trucks going in and out of them to supply different parts. The second that logistical network was strained beyond capacity IE at the German border, the third army stopped.
I hate to lean on Patton but again, his biggest feat in WWII, the obscenely fast movement army from Saarburcken to Bastongne was largely due to using the US logistical network to get the fuel and ammo needed to move that quickly.

I'm not saying the Brits or the Russians were incapable of logistical feats, but the sheer size and speed of the logistical supply chain that the US set up during WWII, the mechanism that fed the fighting machine, that's what ground the Axis down to a nub.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Nicer potlimitomaha wrote:
Not neccesarily.
Logistics isn't just manufacture on a large scale, it's the movement of those supplies to where their needed most.

Seriously, consider how Patton was able to sweep across Europe so quickly; it's because behind the hammer of the Third Army there was a vast network of ammo and fuel dumps with trucks going in and out of them to supply different parts. The second that logistical network was strained beyond capacity IE at the German border, the third army stopped.
I hate to lean on Patton but again, his biggest feat in WWII, the obscenely fast movement army from Saarburcken to Bastongne was largely due to using the US logistical network to get the fuel and ammo needed to move that quickly.

I'm not saying the Brits or the Russians were incapable of logistical feats, but the sheer size and speed of the logistical supply chain that the US set up during WWII, the mechanism that fed the fighting machine, that's what ground the Axis down to a nub.

how many german divisions fought the americans.
how many german divisions fought the russians.
i give the grounding to the ruski's

how many studebakers did the russians get may be a better arguement.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Jinos wrote:

Hardly. By the time the US got fully involved, the Eastern Front was being pushed back towards Germany, and the African campaign was at a standstill.

The US' presence sped it up by about five years, but in reality, the war was decided the moment Operation Barbarossa began.

Remember: America may have got to Germany first, but the Soviets took Berlin.

Also, Patton is overrated. Logistics was all he brought to the table, as a strategist and a leader he was lacking. Rommel was everything you look for in a general, he only lacked logistics near the end because Hitler had stretched his resources so thin. If Hitler left the war to Rommel we'd all be speaking German now.

EDIT- And before you question what I've said about Patton, riddle me this: How come he became a president and not Eisenhower. Dude had Complete Asshole as his prestige class.
Last edited by Death Metal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General