NATION

PASSWORD

2013 Formula 1 Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Most beautiful F1 car period

1950's
11%
1960's
No votes
1970-75
4%
1976-80
No votes
1981-85
4%
1986-90
11%
1991-1995
4%
1996-2000
14%
2001-2008
14%
Present Day
39%

Total votes : 28

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:15 am

Nico does it again! If it wasn't clear before, it should be apparent now that the guy's talent was being held back by the chassis under him.
Congrats also to Webber and Alonso... yeah the tires are still an issue but still, great race all around. I think I'm convinced finally that the new Silverstone layout is a good thing. If only they'd bring back the gravel traps.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:19 am

Liventia wrote:
Licentiapacisterra wrote:Looks like this'll be Sebastian Vettel's first non-finish since the 2012 Italian Grand Prix. Gearbox problems, from what the BBC are saying.

European GP. Think Vettel was classified at the Italian race (having completed 90% of the race). Gearbox issue it was.

You may be right. The BBC were saying that it was his first non finish since Italy, so I took that to mean the Italian GP.
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:23 am

2013 for Force India has got to be their best year yet by a long way. Proof that if you throw enough money at a problem, you can solve it eventually.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:30 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:2013 for Force India has got to be their best year yet by a long way. Proof that if you throw enough money at a problem, you can solve it eventually.
Too bad HRT didn't have enough Euros to throw around.

Now if only Koenigsegg and Pagani would get involved...
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:33 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:2013 for Force India has got to be their best year yet by a long way. Proof that if you throw enough money at a problem, you can solve it eventually.
Too bad HRT didn't have enough Euros to throw around.

I'm just surprised US F1 didn't get up in the end, they would have been far better to have than HRT. I'm wondering who out of Marussia and Caterham will be the first to become a regular points scorer since neither of them look like pulling out.

From no motorsport experience at all? I'd rather see BMW or Alfa Romeo come back, a company with experience and a lot of money.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:36 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Too bad HRT didn't have enough Euros to throw around.

I'm just surprised US F1 didn't get up in the end, they would have been far better to have than HRT. I'm wondering who out of Marussia and Caterham will be the first to become a regular points scorer since neither of them look like pulling out.

From no motorsport experience at all? I'd rather see BMW or Alfa Romeo come back, a company with experience and a lot of money.
Koenigsegg and Pagani have a lot of experience in shaping carbon fiber and working with engines, so there's that. Maybe they could buy out Marussia/Virgin and Caterham and make something of it?

Alfa's not coming back because there is no way FIAT will ever let two of its brands duke it out, and BMW tried that experiment and it failed pretty badly.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:I'm just surprised US F1 didn't get up in the end, they would have been far better to have than HRT. I'm wondering who out of Marussia and Caterham will be the first to become a regular points scorer since neither of them look like pulling out.

Koenigsegg and Pagani have a lot of experience in shaping carbon fiber and working with engines, so there's that. Maybe they could buy out Marussia/Virgin and Caterham and make something of it?

The problem is they don't have lots of experience with aerodynamics and racing. So unless they buy out a really strong privateer team and rebrand it, they're always going to be bottom feeders.

Alfa's not coming back because there is no way FIAT will ever let two of its brands duke it out, and BMW tried that experiment and it failed pretty badly.

You never know, if Ferrari decide to take the Red Bull approach and "blood" new drivers with a B-team, it could very well be branded Alfa Romeo. I don't know if BMW failed; they were right on the verge of success in 2008 before the 2009 changes effectively flipped the balance of power in the competing teams and BMW were left struggling. Had they have stuck with Sauber, they might just have found success again a few years later.

Toro Rosso has been huge for Red Bull, I wouldn't be surprised if other teams look to start/re-start their junior teams.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

The Whispers
Minister

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Whispers » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 am

I think people are getting wheely tyred of this whole situation now :/

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:17 am

Northern Dominus wrote:Alfa's not coming back because there is no way FIAT will ever let two of its brands duke it out, and BMW tried that experiment and it failed pretty badly.

I'm drawing a blank. When did BMW field two teams?

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:18 am

Havl wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Alfa's not coming back because there is no way FIAT will ever let two of its brands duke it out, and BMW tried that experiment and it failed pretty badly.

I'm drawing a blank. When did BMW field two teams?
I meant BMW tried operating in F1 and they didn't have a lot of success to show for it despite the amount of money they threw at the program.

Havl
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Havl wrote:I'm drawing a blank. When did BMW field two teams?
I meant BMW tried operating in F1 and they didn't have a lot of success to show for it despite the amount of money they threw at the program.

Money isn't everything in F1, but you can't win without it. Ferrari advocated for 3- and 4-car teams a few years ago. I could imagine a junior team, but probably not Alfa or Maserati. Maybe "Dino" team?

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:23 am

Havl wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:I meant BMW tried operating in F1 and they didn't have a lot of success to show for it despite the amount of money they threw at the program.

Money isn't everything in F1, but you can't win without it. Ferrari advocated for 3- and 4-car teams a few years ago. I could imagine a junior team, but probably not Alfa or Maserati. Maybe "Dino" team?
Maybe... hmmm, Scuderia Dino, has a nice ring to it. Especially since Minardi is never coming back :(

Havl
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:24 pm

BMS Scuderia Italia and Dallara funded a Formula One team in the late '80s / early '90s that looked like a junior Ferrari team. However, they were unrelated. But boy was I confused watching F1 in 1992!
(Ferrari on the left, Scuderia Italia on the right)
Last edited by Havl on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:40 am

Pitlane cameraman lucky to escape with "only" a broken collarbone and broken ribs after being smashed into by Webber's tyre…
Слава Україні!

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:30 pm

So they actually went ahead and indicted the mad dwarf...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23344423

Formula 1 boss Ecclestone indicted on bribery charge
Bernie Ecclestone - file pic Mr Ecclestone's motor racing business is a lucrative global venture

German prosecutors have indicted Formula 1 motor racing boss Bernie Ecclestone on a bribery charge.

The charge relates to a $44m (£29m) payment to German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky of Bayern Landesbank, linked to the sale of a stake in F1.

Mr Ecclestone denies bribing Gribkowsky, and says the money was intended to stop the banker from exposing him to a UK tax inquiry.

Mr Gribkowsky was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years in jail in Munich.

Speaking to the Financial Times on Wednesday, Mr Ecclestone said: "I have just spoken to my lawyers and they have received an indictment. It's being translated into English."

Asked how he responded to the indictment, he said: "We are defending it properly. It will be an interesting case. It's a pity it's happened."
'Silly things'

The charges are related to the 2006 sale of a 47% stake in Formula 1 by Bayern Landesbank, which had acquired it from the bankrupt Kirch media group.

At his trial last year, Gribkowsky admitted corruptly receiving $41.4m (£26.6m) in bank commissions and a large payment via the Ecclestone family's Bambino Trust.

He maintained he had been paid to undervalue the shares.

But Mr Ecclestone says he paid Gribkowsky to keep him quiet, believing the banker was planning to give false information to the UK authorities about his tax affairs.

Mr Ecclestone said at the time that proving the allegation was false "would have been very expensive for me".

"The tax risk would have exceeded £2bn. I paid him to keep calm and not to do silly things," he said.

Mr Ecclestone has until mid-August to respond to the charges. The court will then decide whether to take the case to trial - it could be heard by mid-September.

He faces a possible jail term if found guilty, something he has previously said would force him to stand down as head of F1.

His lawyer told the Financial Times the indictment was largely based on statements from Gribkowsky, and that Mr Ecclestone intended to dispute these.

with luck...some prison time. But I doubt that will happen.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Just watched an absolutely fantastic documentary about the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda on the BBC. I'm not old enough to have been around when that was going on, but it was fascinating to watch and find out the story behind it. It is really worth checking out for any of you that have access to iPlayer (I'm not sure how that works outside the UK).
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Havl
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Licentiapacisterra wrote:Just watched an absolutely fantastic documentary about the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda on the BBC. I'm not old enough to have been around when that was going on, but it was fascinating to watch and find out the story behind it. It is really worth checking out for any of you that have access to iPlayer (I'm not sure how that works outside the UK).

Do you remember what it was called? That sounds fascinating.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Too bad HRT didn't have enough Euros to throw around.

Depends on if Marussia still has Bianchi.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Havl wrote:
Licentiapacisterra wrote:Just watched an absolutely fantastic documentary about the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda on the BBC. I'm not old enough to have been around when that was going on, but it was fascinating to watch and find out the story behind it. It is really worth checking out for any of you that have access to iPlayer (I'm not sure how that works outside the UK).

Do you remember what it was called? That sounds fascinating.

Hunt vs Lauda: F1's Greatest Racing Rivals. It's on iPlayer, and it looks like it's also on Youtube, in parts.

Havl
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Licentiapacisterra wrote:
Havl wrote:Do you remember what it was called? That sounds fascinating.

Hunt vs Lauda: F1's Greatest Racing Rivals. It's on iPlayer, and it looks like it's also on Youtube, in parts.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I'm looking forward to the new Hunt/Lauda film, Rush, even though it's probably going to be another in the long line of disappointing movies about racing.

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Havl wrote:

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I'm looking forward to the new Hunt/Lauda film, Rush, even though it's probably going to be another in the long line of disappointing movies about racing.

No worries, it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

I always look forward to sports films, so I'll be watching that when I get the chance. I hope it doesn't turn out like that, it'd be nice to see a good film about racing.

Havl
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Havl wrote:Thanks. I'll check it out.

I always look forward to sports films, so I'll be watching that when I get the chance. I hope it doesn't turn out like that, it'd be nice to see a good film about racing.

Ron Howard seems to have a genuine appreciation of F1's glamor days in the 1970s. I read that they were able to use actual vintage McLarens and Ferraris for the racing scenes.

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Havl wrote:

Ron Howard seems to have a genuine appreciation of F1's glamor days in the 1970s. I read that they were able to use actual vintage McLarens and Ferraris for the racing scenes.

Yeah, I've heard something about that.

Evil Lord Sauron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Evil Lord Sauron » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Havl wrote:

Don't know, Ron Howard was on Top Gear last sunday giving an interview and tbf it looked really good. And Jeremy Clarkson who you have to take with a pinch of salt sadly did say was a superb film, and highly recommended. He was right about the Senna film and does have a love for F1 so I think it will actually be very good. Apparently they've taken a completely different angle on the event, and it isn't so much based around the racing but more the clash of personalities, but even the racing scenes looked pretty good.

Anyway BBC's Gary Anderson has tipped Bianchi to replace Massa... not sure I've been impressed enough by Bianchi to really take that seat but I can't see Massa having another season at Ferrari.
Come and join Mordor

Enjoy the Black Gates of Mordor and the fiery pits of Mount Doom

Havl
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Evil Lord Sauron wrote:
Havl wrote:

Don't know, Ron Howard was on Top Gear last sunday giving an interview and tbf it looked really good. And Jeremy Clarkson who you have to take with a pinch of salt sadly did say was a superb film, and highly recommended. He was right about the Senna film and does have a love for F1 so I think it will actually be very good. Apparently they've taken a completely different angle on the event, and it isn't so much based around the racing but more the clash of personalities, but even the racing scenes looked pretty good.

That's what I'm afraid of. Obviously it's a movie, so it can't be pure racing porn, but that's what ruins most "racing" movies.

Evil Lord Sauron wrote:Anyway BBC's Gary Anderson has tipped Bianchi to replace Massa... not sure I've been impressed enough by Bianchi to really take that seat but I can't see Massa having another season at Ferrari.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was hoping Sergio Perez would get the nod. [Edit: Obviously, that's not going to happen now that he's at McLaren.] Then again, Bianchi has been in a supporting role with Ferrari for some time, so that would be beneficial. Plus some of my favorite Ferrari drivers have been French.
Last edited by Havl on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General