NATION

PASSWORD

2013 Formula 1 Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Most beautiful F1 car period

1950's
11%
1960's
No votes
1970-75
4%
1976-80
No votes
1981-85
4%
1986-90
11%
1991-1995
4%
1996-2000
14%
2001-2008
14%
Present Day
39%

Total votes : 28

Tyrants
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

2013 Formula 1 Thread

Postby Tyrants » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:40 am

Rather than dragging up any old threads, I think I'd better make a new one.

Well, it's just over a month to go until the new Formula One season is here, and many of the teams have released their 2013 cars. I see a noticable trend this year away from the "platypus" nose sections and more towards the 2012 McLaren style noses. So, are you looking forward to F1 2013? Who are you rooting for? Who are you looking out for?

Gallery of the new F1 cars: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21261099
Last edited by Tyrants on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladies and gentlemen, the following contest is scheduled for 1 fall, and is a Dixieland match!

Trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble....

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 am

Tyrants wrote:Rather than dragging up any old threads, I think I'd better make a new one.

Well, it's just over a month to go until the new Formula One season is here, and many of the teams have released their 2013 cars. I see a noticable trend this year away from the "platypus" nose sections and more towards the 2012 McLaren style noses. So, are you looking forward to F1 2013? Who are you rooting for? Who are you looking out for?

I have mixed feelings about Hamilton's move to Mercedes. I really like McLaren but also have been a fan of Rosberg, so it's nice to see them together. Your link did not have pics of Mercedes' new car. I do so hope that they use that pretty Petronas blue. I am superficial like that.
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 am

Miss Defied wrote:
Tyrants wrote:Rather than dragging up any old threads, I think I'd better make a new one.

I have mixed feelings about Hamilton's move to Mercedes. I really like McLaren but also have been a fan of Rosberg, so it's nice to see them together. Your link did not have pics of Mercedes' new car. I do so hope that they use that pretty Petronas blue. I am superficial like that.

I'm still asking myself, why? McLaren had a race-winning car all season, while Mercedes didn't apart from China and Monaco.
Ladies and gentlemen, the following contest is scheduled for 1 fall, and is a Dixieland match!

Trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble....

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 am

Tyrants wrote:
Miss Defied wrote:I have mixed feelings about Hamilton's move to Mercedes. I really like McLaren but also have been a fan of Rosberg, so it's nice to see them together. Your link did not have pics of Mercedes' new car. I do so hope that they use that pretty Petronas blue. I am superficial like that.

I'm still asking myself, why? McLaren had a race-winning car all season, while Mercedes didn't apart from China and Monaco.

Mercedes pays more?
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 am

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:
Tyrants wrote:

Mercedes pays more?

That has to be it. I just think he would have a better change of winning in a McLaren.
*shrugs*
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 am

Miss Defied wrote:
Fnordgasm 5 wrote:
Mercedes pays more?

That has to be it. I just think he would have a better change of winning in a McLaren.
*shrugs*

I second this opinion, although I would think Hamilton would have gotten the same with McLaren due to prize monies etc.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Is it just me or does the Renault E21 look virtually the same as the outgoing E20?
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Is it just me or does the Renault E21 look virtually the same as the outgoing E20?

It does, except from those hideous red patches on the side. I like the JPS livery, but it's sorta been spoiled.

Brickistan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Brickistan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:17 am

I have to admit that I’m not really looking forward to it. I just can’t get into F1 anymore; the combination of KERS and DRS has killed the sport for me. What’s the fun in seeing drivers compete by pressing an I-want-to-overtake-you-now button?
I might watch it if I’m sitting near the TV anyway, but I won’t be going out of my way to do so.

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 am

Brickistan wrote:I have to admit that I’m not really looking forward to it. I just can’t get into F1 anymore; the combination of KERS and DRS has killed the sport for me. What’s the fun in seeing drivers compete by pressing an I-want-to-overtake-you-now button?
I might watch it if I’m sitting near the TV anyway, but I won’t be going out of my way to do so.

But... all these brilliant overtakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IVvlXfvfOc

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:27 am

I'm thrilled for the season.

Hopefully Mark Webber can finally win a title, and then retire while on top.
He's my favorite driver on the grid, but he's sorta clogging that seat for a younger talent.

I'm hoping Red Bull wins the constructors title again, and I can't wait to see how Hamilton does at Mercedes. I'm not a fan of his, but it's something that for sure has my interest, as it's been a while since a title contender left a top team for a midfield team or worse. (Biggest move coming to my mind like that was Villeneuve leaving Williams) I like Rosberg though, so I hope that Mercedes does better than that horrid BAR outfit did in the late 90's.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:29 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:I'm thrilled for the season.

He's my favorite driver on the grid, but he's sorta clogging that seat for a younger talent.

I'm hoping Red Bull wins the constructors title again, and I can't wait to see how Hamilton does at Mercedes. I'm not a fan of his, but it's something that for sure has my interest, as it's been a while since a title contender left a top team for a midfield team or worse. (Biggest move coming to my mind like that was Villeneuve leaving Williams) I like Rosberg though, so I hope that Mercedes does better than that horrid BAR outfit did in the late 90's.

Well, if Webber (is allowed to get) wins over Vettel, I shall eat my dressing gown.

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:31 am

Interesting news from Ferrari: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/21305374

Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo says world champion Sebastian Vettel will not join the Italian team as long as Fernando Alonso is there.

Ferrari sources said last summer that Vettel had an arrangement to join the team in the future, with the initial intention for that to be in 2014.

But asked if he could envisage Vettel at Ferrari with Alonso, Di Montezemolo said: "No, I don't think so."

Alonso's contract with Ferrari runs until the end of 2016.

Ferrari have always said publicly that having two 'A-list' drivers is hard to manage - Di Montezemolo said in October that he did not want "two roosters in a henhouse".

Nevertheless, Di Montezemolo has never hidden his admiration for Vettel and his curt response to a question on the subject of Vettel potentially joining Ferrari does mark a change in tone.

In December he said the German "would be very good for us" if Alonso decided to leave the team.

In January, when team boss Stefano Domenicali was asked about teaming Vettel with Alonso, he referred to it as a "dream team", adding: "Never say never."

Ferrari's plan was said to have been for Vettel to join in 2014 - even though the German's Red Bull contract ran until the end of that season.

But sources close to Ferrari now say the Spaniard and the team renegotiated their agreement towards the end of last season and that one of Alonso's demands was that they not sign Vettel alongside him.

Although Alonso will be 35 at the end of his current Ferrari contract, he is believed already to be discussing extending it.

Meanwhile, Vettel has consistently emphasised how happy he is at Red Bull and the triple world champion is expected to extend his contract with the team to the end of 2016.

It has recently emerged that team boss Christian Horner has signed up with Red Bull to the end of 2017 and chief technical officer Adrian Newey, regarded as the finest motorsport designer in the world, also has a multi-year contract with the team and is expected to stay for the next several years.

The developments seem to end any chance of Vettel moving to Ferrari in the foreseeable future.

Di Montezemolo, who was speaking at the launch of the new Ferrari F1 car, said he expected Vettel and Red Bull again to be their strongest rivals this season.

Vettel has won the last three drivers' titles, twice sealing the crown narrowly ahead of Alonso at the final race of the season.

Di Montezemolo also criticised F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone for staging events in countries where there was no appetite for the sport at the expense of races in Europe.

"I believe we should have two grands prix in Italy, rather than having tracks far away in the middle of nowhere, that are difficult to reach," he said.

"But I would like to congratulate Ecclestone for reaching an agreement on a grand prix in Austin [in Texas] because we all wanted to have a grand prix in the US and they have found a very good solution."

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 am

Tyrants wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:I'm thrilled for the season.

Well, if Webber (is allowed to get) wins over Vettel, I shall eat my dressing gown.

:lol:

It's a pipe dream, I know, but I would love it.

Good thing I like Vettel though, otherwise the last few seasons would have me ticked off. :lol:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Tyrants wrote:

Good thing I like Vettel though, otherwise the last few seasons would have me ticked off. :lol:

Yeah, well I can see that partnership extending until at least next year if they get the results in that they want.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 am

Tyrants wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

Yeah, well I can see that partnership extending until at least next year if they get the results in that they want.

I know it's virtually impossible in F1, but I would really love for Vettel to see his career out at Red Bull, no matter how long it lasts.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Tyrants
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Tyrants wrote:

I know it's virtually impossible in F1, but I would really love for Vettel to see his career out at Red Bull, no matter how long it lasts.

I'd love Vettel-Alonso to be the new Senna-Prost. (but 1990 Senna-Prost)
Last edited by Tyrants on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 am

Tyrants wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

I'd love Vettel-Alonso to be the new Senna-Prost. (but 1990 Senna-Prost)

That would be entertaining for sure.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:58 am

Tyrants wrote:
Brickistan wrote:I have to admit that I’m not really looking forward to it. I just can’t get into F1 anymore; the combination of KERS and DRS has killed the sport for me. What’s the fun in seeing drivers compete by pressing an I-want-to-overtake-you-now button?

But... all these brilliant overtakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IVvlXfvfOc

Is it just me, or were like half of those overtakes in the same set of turns?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:22 am

I think the problem with KERS and DRS is all the associated rules. Why shouldn't you be able to use it when you want?

Personally, I'd get rid of a lot of the technical regulations. Keep the important rules like the ones to do with safety and engine limitations and keep the ban on electronic driver aids but allow the manufacturers full reign elsewhere.
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 am

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:

I think the problem with KERS and DRS is all the associated rules. Why shouldn't you be able to use it when you want?

Personally, I'd get rid of a lot of the technical regulations. Keep the important rules like the ones to do with safety and engine limitations and keep the ban on electronic driver aids but allow the manufacturers full reign elsewhere.

Because then the pair of them would be pointless.

Sometimes I think the technical regulations are what's keeping the sport alive. It isn't a coincidence that the top five teams had the five biggest budgets. Unless financial or technical restrictions are imposed, F1 will eat itself. The FIA proposed something where teams could choose between unlimted money or unlimited freedom a few years ago and the major teams threatened to leave the sport.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:27 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Fnordgasm 5 wrote:

Because then the pair of them would be pointless.

Sometimes I think the technical regulations are what's keeping the sport alive. It isn't a coincidence that the top five teams had the five biggest budgets. Unless financial or technical restrictions are imposed, F1 will eat itself. The FIA proposed something where teams could choose between unlimted money or unlimited freedom a few years ago and the major teams threatened to leave the sport.
Isn't that sort of the point though? That the cars in F1 are the pinnacle of automotive engineering? I'm not saying that certain limits are a good thing to keep a bit of competitive parity going, but at some point F1 is going to get to a crossroads where they go the "not really a one make, but it is" direction of NASCAR, or they back off on the homologation a bit.

As I keep stumping for, I'm all in favor of "numbers caps" on certain figures IE only so much or so little downforce at peak or minimum aero tweak, a higher mininmum unloaded curb weight, a maximum naturally aspirated discplacement, stuf like that, and see what the teams do with those caps and with a budget.

As far as the other storylines, this is the year that Hamilton either proves he's matured and worth his pay, or he's a talented but petulant man-child who was greedy as hell about his contract and not really evolving like he should be as a driver and as a man. And of course, once again, bullshit pervades as Bruno Senna gets unceremoniously dropped from Williams even though Pastor Maldonado is a bigger liability. Here's hoping he has a chance of being picked up by Force India and not being relegated to backmarker extraordinaire Marussia. And how the fuck did Grosjean keep his job after the stupid reckless maneuver he pulled at Spa?

And once again, F1 management fails by getting into bed with shady inept twerps for the "Grand Prix of America" in New Jersey, then are shocked when the sponsors suddenly want everything done by somebody else. Then when the bid falls through, do they bother to replace it and have a 20 race season? Especially when there are decent previous event sites like Istanbul or Magny-Cours, or possibly other great circuits like the Buggatti circuit at LeMans?
OF COURSE NOT! That would be adept and capable and keeping the fans in mind, and when's the last time Bernie ever did anything with the fans in mind first and foremost.

Honest to god, the only reason I'm going to watch this year is that they haven't pulled all the better circuits yet. Monaco and Spa are still on the schedule and despite previous efforts to the contrary the newer Herman Tilke McCircuits are actually interesting. Other than that the sporting lawyers and gray-area rules enforcement probably have an inordinate effect on competition, again. I'll give it two or three races before one team bitches about some cool technical detail that another team has, then the problems will start. And I'll say two races before Hamilton causes an enormous wreck and doesn't get penalized for it, yet another driver committing some sort of innocent racing-oriented contact will be fined out the wazoo.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:41 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Because then the pair of them would be pointless.

Isn't that sort of the point though? That the cars in F1 are the pinnacle of automotive engineering? I'm not saying that certain limits are a good thing to keep a bit of competitive parity going, but at some point F1 is going to get to a crossroads where they go the "not really a one make, but it is" direction of NASCAR, or they back off on the homologation a bit.

As I keep stumping for, I'm all in favor of "numbers caps" on certain figures IE only so much or so little downforce at peak or minimum aero tweak, a higher mininmum unloaded curb weight, a maximum naturally aspirated discplacement, stuf like that, and see what the teams do with those caps and with a budget.

F1 isn't so bad that they disallow any and all progress, it's more about keeping tabs on the features which they know to exist. For example; F-ducts were legal until the end of the season, then banned, then the idea was incorporated into DRS. There's still a lot of new things to explore while remaining on the right side of the regulations. Personally I think it's a bit extreme to see this as the NASCAR-ising of F1 but there's certainly less room to explore now than there was 30-40 years ago.

Anyway, the regulations are pretty liberal as they are. Certainly better than the crap which is V8SC. The thing is; safety is also something that has to be taken into consideration so not all the regs here are for neutering competition.

See 2012's here http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 3-2012.pdf
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:50 am

I have nothing constructive to say about which of the cars will be quick, but that Sauber is kinda purdy.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Isn't that sort of the point though? That the cars in F1 are the pinnacle of automotive engineering? I'm not saying that certain limits are a good thing to keep a bit of competitive parity going, but at some point F1 is going to get to a crossroads where they go the "not really a one make, but it is" direction of NASCAR, or they back off on the homologation a bit.

F1 isn't so bad that they disallow any and all progress, it's more about keeping tabs on the features which they know to exist. For example; F-ducts were legal until the end of the season, then banned, then the idea was incorporated into DRS. There's still a lot of new things to explore while remaining on the right side of the regulations. Personally I think it's a bit extreme to see this as the NASCAR-ising of F1 but there's certainly less room to explore now than there was 30-40 years ago.

Anyway, the regulations are pretty liberal as they are. Certainly better than the crap which is V8SC. The thing is; safety is also something that has to be taken into consideration so not all the regs here are for neutering competition.

See 2012's here http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 3-2012.pdf
The whole F-ducts thing, again that goes back to politics ruling the day more than competition. McLaren spies a loophole and exploits it, and as a result the car is quicker. What does Red Bull do? Rather than give it to Adrian Newey for more aero tweaks they bitch and moan until they get their way. And people wonder why some fans have a bad taste in their mouths regarding F1s tech regs and ridiculous politial climate.

I'm not saying abandon all regulations, especially the safety ones, but clearly it's become more lucrative to under-engineer a car and then bitch when it turns out somebody had a better idea than the under-engineered team. At some point the rule book has to be re-drawn to allow for engineering buffers and everyone has to be held to it, and if somebody designs a bad car they don't get to piss and moan about somebody having a better idea, no matter how red the paint is. They can pick up and move and somebody else can come in.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General