NATION

PASSWORD

Black Friday Strike

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
JonathanAtopia
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Black Friday Strike

Postby JonathanAtopia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Walmart is planning a Black Friday strike just because the opening at 8pm Thanksgiving but all the other stores that on Thanksgiving workers are not complaining one bit even Target just found out

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/18/news/wa ... ck-friday/

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:36 pm

Without a union I fear this will be about as successful as Senior Cut Day.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I hope it happens but I don't have big hopes for it. I have bigger hopes for more Wal-Mart workers seeking to unionize. If any place of employment needs a union, it's Wal-Mart.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:I hope it happens but I don't have big hopes for it. I have bigger hopes for more Wal-Mart workers seeking to unionize. If any place of employment needs a union, it's Wal-Mart.

I heard, some time ago in an earlier thread about this, that that was the reason for the strike; To protest the essential ban of unionization of Walmart workers.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I hope it happens but I don't have big hopes for it. I have bigger hopes for more Wal-Mart workers seeking to unionize. If any place of employment needs a union, it's Wal-Mart.

I heard, some time ago in an earlier thread about this, that that was the reason for the strike; To protest the essential ban of unionization of Walmart workers.

I worked there for a little over a year. We had to sit through a series of videos as part of our training. One of the videos was about 20 minutes long and devoted to how much Unions suck.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

JonathanAtopia
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby JonathanAtopia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:I heard, some time ago in an earlier thread about this, that that was the reason for the strike; To protest the essential ban of unionization of Walmart workers.

I worked there for a little over a year. We had to sit through a series of videos as part of our training. One of the videos was about 20 minutes long and devoted to how much Unions suck.

Well Occupy Wall Street is trying to donate the give Walmart workers strikeing food and money to plan railles and other things so I think Occupy Wall Street is coming back and tell us Desperate Measures more about this training video

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. If they want to strike, I may join them just to protest the store's tacky products. As far as I can see Wal-Mart provides only one useful service - it's a gathering place for people who are products of generations of dedicated inbreeding thus making it easy to avoid them.
Last edited by Imsogone on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:51 pm

JonathanAtopia wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I worked there for a little over a year. We had to sit through a series of videos as part of our training. One of the videos was about 20 minutes long and devoted to how much Unions suck.

Well Occupy Wall Street is trying to donate the give Walmart workers strikeing food and money to plan railles and other things so I think Occupy Wall Street is coming back and tell us Desperate Measures more about this training video

Tried to find a copy of it but can't so far. Target has one that is so far (about 2 minutes in) remarkably similar. Lot's about the "open door" policy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqOxmb34yc

Found this:
Man 1:"Walmart respects you. Respects you and what you contribute to the company"

Julie: "That money and respect that's good"

Man 1: "Heh heh, lot's of respect. Back when I was in a union I was just a number"

Julie:"OK then what's a union do for you?"

Man 2: "Uh If a union comes in all it can do is negotiate and ask for things. Negotiate contracts."

Julie: "hmmm"

Man 1: "And Julie, if a union got in here, every benefit we got could go on the negotiating table. Every one of them. And with all our benefits we risk losing a lot"
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/05/0 ... ing-videos
Last edited by Desperate Measures on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also, me.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm

What's chiefly needed here, is for people to NOT support this shit, by NOT going out and shopping on the goram holiday, nor supporting ridiculous hours that some of these stores put their workers through just to make a few more bucks.

If there weren't a demand for it, it wouldn't be an issue.

Ptarsu
Secretary

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ptarsu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:What's chiefly needed here, is for people to NOT support this shit, by NOT going out and shopping on the goram holiday, nor supporting ridiculous hours that some of these stores put their workers through just to make a few more bucks.

I agree, I have to be at my store four in the fucking morning.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:What's chiefly needed here, is for people to NOT support this shit, by NOT going out and shopping on the goram holiday, nor supporting ridiculous hours that some of these stores put their workers through just to make a few more bucks.

Hear, hear!
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Bring in the troops and arrest the hooligans!

No, in all seriousness, if workers want to unionize they should have that right. If management wants to fire them all and hire scabs, that's their right too. Let the two figure it out on their own.

Acrainia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrainia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Earth to strikers, you are not a skilled laborer.

If your job can be filled easily by a 16 year old immigrant, striking is not a good idea.

Ptarsu
Secretary

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ptarsu » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Acrainia wrote:Earth to strikers, you are not a skilled laborer.

If your job can be filled easily by a 16 year old immigrant, striking is not a good idea.

Yeah, so bend over and take it like a man!

Manahakatouki
Senator

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Manahakatouki » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm

I think this is a commendable idea...

I don't like Black Friday personally, and as Nath stated, I don't think we should do it at all, if we want to voice our opinion...
And so it was, that I had never changed.

United Kingdom of Muffins
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Muffins » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Imsogone wrote:I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. If they want to strike, I may join them just to protest the store's tacky products. As far as I can see Wal-Mart provides only one useful service - it's a gathering place for people who are products of generations of dedicated inbreeding thus making it easy to avoid them.

My grandparents shop at Walmart and they are millionaries :p ,but I do not support this because it won't work well for any one who tries it ie fired. Also if you work at Walmart you should just give up on being recongized as a human.
Pope Muffins
"Pretty girls digging prettier women" The Who, 5:15, from the album Quadrophenia
"Has God forgotten what I have done for him?" Louis XIV Of France

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm

If the stores didn't incentivize shopping at those ridiculous times,
"Early Bird Special! 60" plasma for $75!"
there wouldn't be a demand.
This is the illusion retail outlets perpetuate. They create an artificial demand and then say, "But look, there's a demand. That's the only reason we do it!"
Charlatans!
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Now they are going the exact opposite route. They wont pay over 40 hours a week and they will force you to clock out before you hit the mark.

After the employer mandate goes into affect the magic number becomes 32 hours a week, to avoid paying for insurance.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Skibereen
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:Bring in the troops and arrest the hooligans!

No, in all seriousness, if workers want to unionize they should have that right. If management wants to fire them all and hire scabs, that's their right too. Let the two figure it out on their own.

They arent technically scabs until the Union is in place, and it is the employers right to fire the employees /before/ a contract has been agreed to that says otherwise. So wal-Mart already has that option, what they are afraid of is collective bargaining power.

As to the poster who took it upon himself to insult those who shop at wal-mart, well, it must be nice to not need to budget for yourself and your family -- however given the pricing at wal mart with regards to grocery items its hardly uncompetative.
Properly researched purchasing demonstrates that the products(groceries) sold in wla mart are equal in nutritional content to any products found at high end retailers like Wholefoods -- who merely target a different demographic with Mythology marketing about the process of food production and nutritional quality in the US.

So very well, Walmart customers may indeed by the Slackjawwed masses, but they are the Slacked Jawwed masses getting a better price for the exact same quality product as the Dead Eyed Dilitants of Dumbfuckery who look down upon them--and in that equation that makes them the second slowest in a two man race to idiot land.

As to the poster who suggests those employed at Walmart are sub-human, you are a sad and pathetic individual. The large numbers of retired people who find work to supplement their disgustingly social security(in a land of abundance) yes these people who build the nation you plod your pittiful self around in now so smugly, they are certainly far more human, deserving of respect and defference than you and those of your wretched ilk. Or the young people who get their first jobs there, yes productive youth looking to better themselves by their own efforts rather than daddies dime...I doubt you are worthy of cleaning their shoes.

And sub-human, Wal-Mart takes the tax break for hiring the mentally handicapped, perhaps in this group you may find some kindred spirits...but then theirs is a crippling of the mind by fate, yours is a crippling of the heart by your own pathetic design...so even among them the title of pariah would be a kingly gift in your case.

I dont care if its flaming - Basic lack of compassion for the weakest among us is disgusting.
argumentum ad logicam, seriously think about it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison
First in line for the pie in the sky

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 pm

Skibereen wrote:

They arent technically scabs until the Union is in place, and it is the employers right to fire the employees /before/ a contract has been agreed to that says otherwise. So wal-Mart already has that option, what they are afraid of is collective bargaining power.

As to the poster who took it upon himself to insult those who shop at wal-mart, well, it must be nice to not need to budget for yourself and your family -- however given the pricing at wal mart with regards to grocery items its hardly uncompetative.
Properly researched purchasing demonstrates that the products(groceries) sold in wla mart are equal in nutritional content to any products found at high end retailers like Wholefoods -- who merely target a different demographic with Mythology marketing about the process of food production and nutritional quality in the US.

So very well, Walmart customers may indeed by the Slackjawwed masses, but they are the Slacked Jawwed masses getting a better price for the exact same quality product as the Dead Eyed Dilitants of Dumbfuckery who look down upon them--and in that equation that makes them the second slowest in a two man race to idiot land.

As to the poster who suggests those employed at Walmart are sub-human, you are a sad and pathetic individual. The large numbers of retired people who find work to supplement their disgustingly social security(in a land of abundance) yes these people who build the nation you plod your pittiful self around in now so smugly, they are certainly far more human, deserving of respect and defference than you and those of your wretched ilk. Or the young people who get their first jobs there, yes productive youth looking to better themselves by their own efforts rather than daddies dime...I doubt you are worthy of cleaning their shoes.

And sub-human, Wal-Mart takes the tax break for hiring the mentally handicapped, perhaps in this group you may find some kindred spirits...but then theirs is a crippling of the mind by fate, yours is a crippling of the heart by your own pathetic design...so even among them the title of pariah would be a kingly gift in your case.

I dont care if its flaming - Basic lack of compassion for the weakest among us is disgusting.

:clap:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Skibereen wrote:

I concur. We talk trash about Wal-Mart but let's be honest: Wal-Mart offers employment and cheap goods to people who need/want jobs and can't afford to go to other places.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Or, you know, the employees can strike and we can still shop. With no staff to handle it and too much customers, well, I think I will partake in brewing a massive shitstorm.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Norstal wrote:

Or, you know, the employees can strike and we can still shop. With no staff to handle it and too much customers, well, I think I will partake in brewing a massive shitstorm.

Are you referring to looting? Are we looting?
~~~~~~~~

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Norstal wrote:Or, you know, the employees can strike and we can still shop. With no staff to handle it and too much customers, well, I think I will partake in brewing a massive shitstorm.

Are you referring to looting? Are we looting?

No? I hope you said that in jest, but we can only show Wal-Mart that they can't make profits despite the number of customers if they have no one to run their stores.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Norstal wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Are you referring to looting? Are we looting?

No? I hope you said that in jest, but we can only show Wal-Mart that they can't make profits despite the number of customers if they have no one to run their stores.

Of course it was in jest. *hides burning trashcan*
~~~~~~~~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General