NATION

PASSWORD

Enforcement of the Idea of Evolution/Creationism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Dragonplains wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Yeah...well...the bible is based on over 6,000 years of investigation and observation of GOD. So there.

Hum... I'm a little curious here. Isn't the bible written a long time ago and translated through the ages, as some religious like to point out ("Bible said it 2,000 years ago !") ? Or do they add parts to it up until nowadays ? Plus, isn't it a study of mankind rather than of God ?
And after 6,000 years of study, you'd think they'd finally find which one of the current monotheist Gods is the right one :D

Theists ... monotheists do think they've found the right one. That's the point of monotheism.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Crumlark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Crumlark » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Interesting enough, my AP Human Geography teacher (code for REALLY REALLY advanced History teacher) defines religion as a set of beliefs, traditions, and rituals agreed upon by a culture.

Most religions spring from Ethnic religions, with notable examples being Christianity, Islam, and Judaism (their focal point and heath being Jerusalem). Could this be at all related to how Creationism came to be or how it has stood the test of time, regardless of being at least partially disproven over the years?
Anarchist. I'm dating TotallyNotEvilLand, and I love him. I am made whole.

Melly, merely living, surviving, is to suffer. You must fill your life with more to be happy.
Liberate Mallorea and Riva!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Crumlark wrote:I have always believed in Evolution, and briefly, both Creationism and Evolution. In my youth, I always took it as a given that people accepted Evolution, and repeatedly, had been proven wrong, and severely damaged some relationships as a result.

For those of you out of the loop, Evolution is the theory that creatures evolve, or change through mutations with unique traits surviving long enough to mate and have offspring, into other creatures and that we can all be traced back to one common ancestor. (Referring to all as every species known to man.) Creationism is the belief that God (or whatever spiritual Lord you have in your religion) had placed us, as we were, on the planet.

So NSG, I guess what I am trying to ask is, "Is Creationism/Evolution thought of as true in your community, and if so, how strongly?"

First General thread I ever posted. Ever.

I live in a very religious town where, I'm almost certain, people teach both ideas as true.

As to enforcing one or the other, I'm not for it. I think people should study both and make up their own minds, availed of the evidence (real evidence) that they have to make up their own minds.

In the case of the school system: I don't think Creationism has a place there. Schools should teach science, math, history. Not religion.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Previous

Return to General