NATION

PASSWORD

From Another Site: My Son the Communist

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hesse
Envoy

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hesse » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Good for the parents in dealing with the situation.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:09 pm

That seems like a valid tactic to use to me. If he's a communist then he shouldn't mind following the ideology if he truly believes in it. Communism advocates for the elimination of private property, so whichever possessions he had should be shared in common if he were to live a communist lifestyle.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Avenio wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Give that man a medal.

Good idea. "Douchbag Parent of the Year", plated in 5-carat pyrite.

I assume you'll be footing the bill?

We all share the bill.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

East Ormania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm

I can't believe it.
Just because the guy is communist, does not mean that his parents need to be jerks with him.
Oh dear!
Last edited by East Ormania on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Saiwania wrote:That seems like a valid tactic to use to me. If he's a communist then he shouldn't mind following the ideology if he truly believes in it. Communism advocates for the elimination of private property, so whichever possessions he had should be shared in common if he were to live a communist lifestyle.

To quote myself
"Even if you agree with the warped idea of communism that the parent follows, do you honestly beleive that the child deserved his money to be taken, his personal property to be taken, his privacy to be entirely removed, then to use him to do all the houses chores because of THOUGHT?"
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Hesse wrote:Good for the parents in dealing with the situation.

"Dealing" with something isn't necessarily positive. In this case, it most definitely isn't.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 pm

The USOT wrote:
Saiwania wrote:That seems like a valid tactic to use to me. If he's a communist then he shouldn't mind following the ideology if he truly believes in it. Communism advocates for the elimination of private property, so whichever possessions he had should be shared in common if he were to live a communist lifestyle.

To quote myself
"Even if you agree with the warped idea of communism that the parent follows, do you honestly beleive that the child deserved his money to be taken, his personal property to be taken, his privacy to be entirely removed, then to use him to do all the houses chores because of THOUGHT?"

So, more or less the USSR-ish?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:
The USOT wrote:To quote myself

In certain parts of it yes.

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:
The USOT wrote:To quote myself

Yep. USSR communism, also known as non-communism.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

The USOT wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Give that man a medal.

Even if you agree with the warped idea of communism that the parent follows, do you honestly beleive that the child deserved his money to be taken, his personal property to be taken, his privacy to be entirely removed, then to use him to do all the houses chores because of THOUGHT?

It seems like a perfectly legitimate way to demonstrate the flaws in his chosen political ideology to me. And at least they're not sending him to Siberia. Perhaps the stepfather has taken it a little too far, though. He's made his point, he should probably have dropped the whole charade after a day or so. I feel kind of sorry for the kid even though I appreciate his stepfather's point.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Anarkadia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarkadia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

No. Just, no. You're equating private ownership of the means of production with personal property just like that dad, which is why it is obvious neither one of you know what the hell you are talking about.
Anarcho-communist federation of the region Anarkadia.

¡Viva la Comunismo Anarquísta! ¡Muerte al Fascismo!

We are a horizontal federation of autonomous communities - not a nation-state. The governing body and economy are completely decentralized.
NSWiki Entry - NSEconomy - NSTracker
Pro: Internationalism, participatory democracy, autogestion, cybernetics, specifism, anarcho-syndicalism, horizontalism, mutual aid, social justice, RRFMs

Anti: Authoritarianism, nationalism, capitalism, fascism, racism, (hetero)sexism

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.13

Political Test

East Ormania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

So the other capitalist members of the house receive what they earned PLUS the commie guy's shared goods?
Oh dear!
This is wrong.
Last edited by East Ormania on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The USOT wrote:Even if you agree with the warped idea of communism that the parent follows, do you honestly beleive that the child deserved his money to be taken, his personal property to be taken, his privacy to be entirely removed, then to use him to do all the houses chores because of THOUGHT?

It seems like a perfectly legitimate way to demonstrate the flaws in his chosen political ideology to me. And at least they're not sending him to Siberia. Perhaps the stepfather has taken it a little too far, though. He's made his point, he should probably have dropped the whole charade after a day or so. I feel kind of sorry for the kid even though I appreciate his stepfather's point.

Ultimately the only point which can be taken from this is that it is ok to punish your children for thought.
But lets ignore how bad parenting this is, and look at the method itself.
Good parenting does NOT involve cruel punishment because you beleive a child said something stupid.
This is the equivelant of the parent who`s five year old says that he wishes that he could eat "candy" all day, resulting in the parent feeding them nothing but candy untill the child throws up for an extended period.
Then when the child says "I dont want to live at home" (something my own sister once said in response to us asking her to tidy her room) pushing them out the house and locking the door, then letting them live homeless for a week.

IF the parent honestly beleived that communism is such a bad idea to the point where action must be taken, the first thing that they should have done is to talk about it, and not rush to such a punishment.

Sovietta
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovietta » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Wow.... That is not very nice to treat their child that way. Again, oppression by capitalists. This is one of the reasons why I hate capitalism.
Economic Left/Right: -9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49
Left: -7.64
Social libertarian: -3.39
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist: -10
Cultural Liberal: -5.95

Tarea
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarea » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Well, if the Step Son is a true communist, then he needs to perform phase 1 in my opinion: Revolution.

(Ironically, I am an Authoritarian. But taking personal property? Too far.)
Last edited by Tarea on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felix Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Felix Terra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

What a (your favorite curse word here). Does this count as, you know, anything illegal?
why are you looking at a post from 2012 go home you're drunk

East Apikai is my main nation nowadays

Capitalist America
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Capitalist America » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Huh. I actually laughed when I read this.

Oh well, whatever. This reminds me of the dad who uses his .45 to shoot his daughter's laptop.

However, it's not like the dad really "exploited" his son. I have do the brunt of the chores at my house too, and I don't think I'm being exploited. The mom and dad should exempt themselves not because they are capitalist, but because they are his parents. Chores are good, because if I didn't have them, I'd be on NationStates all day long. :p
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support the Libertarian Party. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary.

Factbook (Under Construction)

Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92
Everyone should watch this video
Proud American!.

Puppet of Libertarian California

The USOT
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Tarea wrote:Well, if the Step Son is a true communists, then he needs to perform phase 1 in my opinion: Revolution.

(Ironically, I am an Authoritarian. But taking personal property? Too far.)
That would have been a hilarious result XD

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Wow. Talk about bad parenting.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Delvoir
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delvoir » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

I hate this smug, 'haha, we're so clever' way of parenting. It's such an American thing to make such a big deal out of the relatively small matter of political preference!
The Most Royal Kingdom of Delvoir
Semi-Constitutional Monarchy
State Religion: New Delvoirian Catholicism
Head of State: His Most High and Royal Majesty King Louis XIX of Delvoir and Fravarre
The Royal Delvoir Foreign Ministry - Open Embassies, Ask Questions

Felix Terra
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Felix Terra » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Capitalist America wrote:Huh. I actually laughed when I read this.

Oh well, whatever. This reminds me of the dad who uses his .45 to shoot his daughter's laptop.

However, it's not like the dad really "exploited" his son. I have do the brunt of the chores at my house too, and I don't think I'm being exploited. The mom and dad should exempt themselves not because they are capitalist, but because they are his parents. Chores are good, because if I didn't have them, I'd be on NationStates all day long. :p

I remember that. Loved it.
why are you looking at a post from 2012 go home you're drunk

East Apikai is my main nation nowadays

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

The wonders a healthy dose of paranoia and ignorance, coupled with some likely ego issues, can create.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

the social battle asks for no martyrs. no leftist consents to the system he finds himself tied to and it is wholly unreasonable and unfair to expect him to exact destruction on himself merely on principals unfit for his current situation.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Hesse wrote:Good for the parents in dealing with the situation.

How very McCarthyist of you.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Wait, no, in communism, even capitalists have to share the work.

This is...this is showing him capitalism.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General