NATION

PASSWORD

Second American Civil War

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Second American Civil War

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:18 pm

So, lets say the South for some reason decided to revolt against the United States and all the former CSA formed another CSA and the Union and them duked it out.

Who do you think would win NSG?

I'd say the North of pretty obvious reasons.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Any second civil war would not be a replay of the first.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Why the South? What the hell? Don't we already have a 50 page long thread on the South revolting?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm

It wouldn't happen.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Personally, I'd like to see the US break up into different nations. We are SUCH a polarized country I don't see how we can keep going like this.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Jewcrew
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jewcrew » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

America is more 'rural VS. urban' than 'North VS. South'. I laugh pretty hard here in Canada, where we have a mix of conservative and liberal cities as well as conservative and liberal rural areas. Some of our most rural areas are hard core left wing, and some of our most urban areas are hard core right wing. Then again, 'left wing' and 'right wing' mean something completely different in Canada.
Zionism is the only path to peace. Masada will never fall again.

“Nobody does Israel any service by proclaiming its 'right to exist.'

Israel's right to exist, like that of the United States, Saudi Arabia and 152 other states, is axiomatic and unreserved. Israel's legitimacy is not suspended in midair awaiting acknowledgement....

There is certainly no other state, big or small, young or old, that would consider mere recognition of its 'right to exist' a favor, or a negotiable concession.” - former Israeli Foreign Affairs Minister Abba Eben

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

The south wold lose quickly. The american army is too powerful to be halted in a war like that would be. Plus it would never happen.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Much more likely it would be the middle against both coasts along with the old "south"
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Olivaero wrote:Much more likely it would be the middle against both coasts along with the old "south"

I could see that.

Greater New York
Envoy

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater New York » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Shadowlandistan wrote:Personally, I'd like to see the US break up into different nations. We are SUCH a polarized country I don't see how we can keep going like this.

We're not really that polarized compared to how we used to be though. A nation with one of the highest standards of living in the world won't just suddenly break up due to political issues that in the long term don't mean much. I mean, the only time another nation tried to secede was over slavery, which none of the issues we face today are as polarized.
The Republic of New York
Population: 19,651,127 (2012 Estimate)
Area: 54,556 square miles
Map of New York
Embassy Program of New York

Homosexual Rockefeller Republican

Jewcrew
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jewcrew » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Olivaero wrote:Much more likely it would be the middle against both coasts along with the old "south"

There's around five distinct cultural groupings of American States. New England, Texas, Mid West, South, Pacific Coast. Kind of hard to see how America could split into just two factions.

Israel's right to exist, like that of the United States, Saudi Arabia and 152 other states, is axiomatic and unreserved. Israel's legitimacy is not suspended in midair awaiting acknowledgement....

There is certainly no other state, big or small, young or old, that would consider mere recognition of its 'right to exist' a favor, or a negotiable concession.” - former Israeli Foreign Affairs Minister Abba Eben

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aleckandor » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

HAIL CHEYENNE!
♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

Jewcrew
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jewcrew » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Greater New York wrote:
Shadowlandistan wrote:Personally, I'd like to see the US break up into different nations. We are SUCH a polarized country I don't see how we can keep going like this.

We're not really that polarized compared to how we used to be though. A nation with one of the highest standards of living in the world won't just suddenly break up due to political issues that in the long term don't mean much. I mean, the only time another nation tried to secede was over slavery, which none of the issues we face today are as polarized.

Less about polarization, more about importance. The major issues today that seem to keep popping up are about civil rights. Slavery was an issue of human rights. A gay person wanting to have their marriage officially recognized by the government may think his issue is important, but the simple reality is that marriage (with some people thinking that the government should be out of marriage completely) isn't that big of a deal. There are far more important issues, such as America's debt, the massive bureaucracy, the size of the military, obesity, health care and the fact that poor people in America are wealthier than all but 3% of Indians and yet they still manage to find something to complain about.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:32 pm

As likely as the Chicago Cubs winning 7 world series in a row and then executing a coup d'etat.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm

The coasts would squeeze the middle like a pimple until it popped.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Jewcrew wrote:

There's around five distinct cultural groupings of American States. New England, Texas, Mid West, South, Pacific Coast. Kind of hard to see how America could split into just two factions.

I was doing it more along politics I don't see mid westerners having as much against Texans as they do say against New Englanders or Pacificans and the South is pretty much the champion of secession I can perhaps see Pacificans being neutral but New englanders are those who I would see as working most to maintain the union. This is all ridiculous of course I doubt the population of the USA is willing to throw their lifestyle away and become a war torn nation any time soon. They'd be shitting their hegemony of international affairs down the toilet.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 pm

It has been pointed out before, I think by ASB, that there are no clear political fault lines. Yes the country is polarized, but it is a rural/urban divide, not along state lines like the lead up to the civil war, which makes any attempts at division much more complicated, and less likely.

But it also means that if there were a civil war, it would be a lot messier: neighbor against neighbor, quite literally.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

I think America would win.
Last edited by The Joseon Dynasty on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Greater New York wrote:

We may not be polarized enough to start a physical war, but we have people within the US living COMPLETELY different lifestyles that are not compatable. For instance, how can states like CA, MA, VT, OR, WA, NY co-govern with states like MS, AL, AK, TX, GA etc.

I would like to see these areas able to pursue their political/policy aspirations without nothing being done, since these areas must agree to pass any meaningful legislation. I would hope it could be done without the use of violence.

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Ignorance of history is really an unfortunate thing...

Oh well...

I don't see it happening, by the way.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Shadowlandistan wrote:
Greater New York wrote:

We may not be polarized enough to start a physical war, but we have people within the US living COMPLETELY different lifestyles that are not compatable. For instance, how can states like CA, MA, VT, OR, WA, NY co-govern with states like MS, AL, AK, TX, GA etc.

I would like to see these areas able to pursue their political/policy aspirations without nothing being done, since these areas must agree to pass any meaningful legislation. I would hope it could be done without the use of violence.

I think you overestimate the differences between us. Sure you have a few assholes, but there's always been assholes. The 24 hour news day and the internet just make it seem like there are more of them.
Go Vikings.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:57 pm

South: "We’ve got our weapons. Wot ain't we got? We ain’t got anyfing for target practice iz wot! So I'll tell you wot we're gonna do. We’re gonna give da Yankeez a taste of ‘ot metal death is wot. We’s gonna take da boyz wit' da shootas ‘ere an’ we’s gonna stomp Yankee! WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

North: "Soldiers of America! Today, we stand as a bulwark against the selfish, the soulless, and the mad! Today, we must drive back our enemies from our land and from our world! Today, more than ever before, we fight for the Greater Good! And we will triumph!"

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:South: "We’ve got our weapons. Wot ain't we got? We ain’t got anyfing for target practice iz wot! So I'll tell you wot we're gonna do. We’re gonna give da Yankeez a taste of ‘ot metal death is wot. We’s gonna take da boyz wit' da shootas ‘ere an’ we’s gonna stomp Yankee! WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

North: "Soldiers of America! Today, we stand as a bulwark against the selfish, the soulless, and the mad! Today, we must drive back our enemies from our land and from our world! Today, more than ever before, we fight for the Greater Good! And we will triumph!"

Rednecks are drunks not orks.
Go Vikings.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:South: "We’ve got our weapons. Wot ain't we got? We ain’t got anyfing for target practice iz wot! So I'll tell you wot we're gonna do. We’re gonna give da Yankeez a taste of ‘ot metal death is wot. We’s gonna take da boyz wit' da shootas ‘ere an’ we’s gonna stomp Yankee! WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

Same thing. They can't do without their guns. ('cause we'z da shootiest and killiest!")

Everbeek
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Everbeek » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Same thing. They can't do without their guns. ('cause we'z da shootiest and killiest!")

Real Orcz only need some choppaz.
The Awesomeness Formerly Known As Campinia
Cromarty wrote:Antifa, the Internationale and the Red Fleet are encased in the largest glass house in existence, and they're not throwing stones, they're firing boulders from catapults.

Big Jim P wrote:
Everbeek wrote:I never say "for god's sake", I always say "for fuck's sake", for the rest I don't care much

Fucking created most of us, so fucking IS god.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General