NATION

PASSWORD

Why the mods are bad at their job

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Why the mods are bad at their job

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Ah yes, the complain-about-teh-ebil-modz thread. Formerly a staple of the topics-you-pull-out-when-the-regular-topics-become-too-old pool, it got ruined when you-know-who, angry about how teh ebil modz locked his conversion threads and banned him when he kept posting them when the mods specifically told him not to, started a 'revolution' to bring down the 'fascist' mods and promptly spammed NSG with those threads until he was DOSed. Now that he's been gone for a long time, and I've been banned for three days, I would like to make my own complain-about-teh-ebil-modz thread, as is customary when a n00by poster gets mildly annoyed at teh ebil modz. So without further ado, my the whining begin!

1. That Annoying Ban on Gravedigging

Why? What does gravedigging do? Does it waste valuable server space? Does it make the forum look bad to censorship programs? Does it kill people? Does it lead to loads of lawsuits? Is it a sin? Did a gravedigger murder your family in cold blood?

2. Too Weak on Trolls
Just ask anyone who's been here for more than a month.I'd give examples, but...

3. Trollnaming
As you should know, flaming is banned on virtually every forum with moderators who do more than delete CP. The same is true on NS. For the most part. I have seen many people accuse people who disagree with them of being trolls, including, ironically, a probable troll. Please mods, if some asshole calls someone a troll outside of Moderation, could you just DAMN THEM TO HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY warn them?

4. Homework Questions
See no. 1.

5. Many of the mods have no sense of humor.
Seriously. This was this was the reason I banned for three days, and why many people have gotten worse.

More questionable complaints will come when I think of them.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:49 pm

My friend read this a second ago.
He said that the circle was complete. "Kaari" had found a way to possess the spirits of NS posters.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Yes, it's been way too long since we had a whine-about-the-mods thread. My position on your particular issues:
1. A major problem with gravedug threads is that many of the posters in them are gone, or if they are still around, are no longer paying attention to that particular issue, so there is little dialogue. Responding months later to somebody's post has an air of "staircase wit" (NOW I realize what I should have said!)
2&3 seem to be a bit contradictory. Much of the policing has to be done by the posters in-thread; the mods can't be reading all the threads all the time. You are complaining both that the board tends to be "too hard" on people who are arguably acting trollishly, and "too easy" at the same time?
4. Homework threads annoy the hell out of me. I totally approve of that policy.
5. *meh* I would have to see what you are talking about before I could judge.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Again?

1. NSG moves too damn fast. We ban gravedigs because by the time a thread has been buried a few weeks I'd be willing to bet buttons to dollars that it is down to two or four people going round and around and around again as well as we've had yet another thread on the topic.

We don't need huge threads for people to continue lines of thought that are seriously far away from the OP that could be handled via TGs if need be and preventing newer threats on the topic from being made.

2. Just because you don't like them does not mean they are trolls. But by all means, report trolls, we'll take a look. Assuming you're going to report and not just point at a massive thread and tell me they're in there, somewhere.

3. We have actually asked people stop doing this. It might be a suggestion for us to take up because I personally think it's getting out of hand.

4. We disallow homework help for three very good reasons. A. It's YOUR homework, not ours. Given that a good chunk of the Mods are either in service teachers or did teach at one point in time, we feel strongly about preventing cheating. B. NSG, as much as I love it, has a somewhat demented sense of humor. The chances of someone getting a GOOD answer are ok, but pales in face of how many bad, or just wrong ones they will get. 3. We're a discussion board, just what kind of discussion can be had with a thread topic of "Hey, answer these math problems for me?" That's what Yahoo! Answers is for.

5. Just because you don't understand our humor doesn't mean we lack it.

We do however tend to frown on the excuse "But it was a joke!" however.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:Ah yes, the complain-about-teh-ebil-modz thread. Formerly a staple of the topics-you-pull-out-when-the-regular-topics-become-too-old pool, it got ruined when you-know-who, angry about how teh ebil modz locked his conversion threads and banned him when he kept posting them when the mods specifically told him not to, started a 'revolution' to bring down the 'fascist' mods and promptly spammed NSG with those threads until he was DOSed. Now that he's been gone for a long time, and I've been banned for three days, I would like to make my own complain-about-teh-ebil-modz thread, as is customary when a n00by poster gets mildly annoyed at teh ebil modz. So without further ado, my the whining begin!

There have been people who feel the need to whine about getting warned and/or banned for as long as I've been on this site...

Blakk Metal wrote:The Whining
1. That Annoying Ban on Gravedigging

Why? What does gravedigging do? Does it waste valuable server space? Does it make the forum look bad to censorship programs? Does it kill people? Does it lead to loads of lawsuits? Is it a sin? Did a gravedigger murder your family in cold blood?

2. Too Weak on Trolls

3. Trollnaming
As you should know, flaming is banned on virtually every forum with moderators who do more than delete CP. The same is true on NS. For the most part. I have seen many people accuse people who disagree with them of being trolls, including, ironically, a probable troll. Please mods, if some asshole calls someone a troll outside of Moderation, could you just DAMN THEM TO HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY warn them?

4. Homework Questions
See no. 1.

Seriously. This was this was the reason I banned for three days, and why many people have gotten worse.[/spoiler]

More questionable complaints will come when I think of them.

1: See NERVy's response. I mean really, what is the point of going back several weeks, months or years to find an old thread? Are you hoping to find one that none of the original participants are around anymore more so you can get a debate win?
2: Meh. I'd say that they handle trolls just fine.
3: I just ignore it.
4: We're not here to do your homework for you. How about you take the effort to actually learn stuff, rather than just hope that random people on the internet will give you the answers.
5: My experience is that all of the mods have a (at worst) decent sense of humor. And no, you weren't banned because of a joke, you were banned because you broke the rules.

I have never understood the point of these threads... If you don't like the rules here you can go somewhere else you know...
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:54 pm

I can tell you, first hand experience, on another forum where you were allowed to ask for homework help, that these threads often bring along people who find it funny to give stupid answers, take up front page space that could be used for debates, and basically is just a way for you to get others to do the work for you (which is 1. unfair and 2. stupid, because you don't really learn anything out of it if someone does the problem for you).

For everything else, I turn to NERV's answer. *nods*
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:(Image)

There's always has to be at least one person who thinks that it's the mods fault that they got warned...
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:(Image)

There's always has to be at least one person who thinks that it's the mods fault that they got warned...

Then they should just take it to Moderation and stop clogging the board with this stuff.

It's not like much is going on right now, but sheesh. Come the fuck on.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm

one: mods are human, not infallible.
two: idiots go out of their way to make their job more difficult.

certainly, just as with police officers and security guards, from time to time there will be one or more who might not have been the best choice for the job.

but they're still only human, and people don't need to go out of their way to make their job more difficult.

i do think they need to be more ready to apologize publicly (as for that matter do authorities of all kinds) when they screw up though. which, being only human, inevitably happens.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Cameroi wrote:one: mods are human, not infallible.
two: idiots go out of their way to make their job more difficult.

certainly, just as with police officers and security guards, from time to time there will be one or more who might not have been the best choice for the job.

but they're still only human, and people don't need to go out of their way to make their job more difficult.

i do think they need to be more ready to apologize publicly (as for that matter do authorities of all kinds) when they screw up though. which, being only human, inevitably happens.

As far as I am aware of, we do.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 pm

The process could be more transparent. The accusations of trolling are pretty insane.* No other complaints.

*Don't believe me? This was necessary for a reason.

Frisbeeteria wrote:Enough of the trolling talk about trolls trolling for trolls ... or whatever that was. Get back on topic.

Pretty much wrecks threads.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Foguk
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Foguk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm

I got a warning for flame baiting. Which I wasn't expecting I thought the post was fairly tame, in comparison to what i was responding to. It seems like if you have a view thats too far outside the mainstream its an insta-warn.

Thats probably my only gripe with mods.

But Im not a mod, and this isn't my site. So its their, or barry's rules.

meh.
Last edited by Foguk on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic: Left/Right, 9.75 Points
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian, 4.26 Points
Colour the world Red
My nation of Foguk is representative of my views. Let me get this out of the way: I am not trolling, they are just my views. Don't get worked up.
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If the opposition refuses to disarm, we shall disarm them ourselves"
Joesph Stalin
"When we hang the capitalists, they will sell us the rope we use"
Joseph Stalin

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:08 pm

I am multitasking with assignments, et cetra so that I cannot read the full content of your original post, but the following bolded section:

Blakk Metal wrote:5. Many of the mods have no sense of humor.
Seriously. This was this was the reason I banned for three days, and why many people have gotten worse.

Is not true, well, at least from my own personal past experience.

I've spammed (jokish content) the telegram inbox of some of the moderators in the past with related stuff in the forum; namely that of Dread Lady Nathicana and Reploid Production; the former a game moderator and the latter a forum head moderator and the boss probably in general, and they've always replied to my jokish-spams lightly, and with a (revealing) sense of humour.

I don't know, perhaps other have different experiences (and that is possible, I guess)? But not me.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:09 pm

The big secret:
The Mods are human and have lives.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:09 pm

The mods are what keeps NationStates from becoming the Youtube Comments section. I think they do a very good job. They work hard, and honestly this site would be a lot harder to moderate then most forums. Most forums ban all political and religious discussion just because people getting worked up over those 'hot topics' leads to so much work for the moderators. I'm surprised they keep up with it as well as they do.

Foguk
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Foguk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:The mods are what keeps NationStates from becoming the Youtube Comments section.

I love the youtube comments section, whats wrong with it?
Economic: Left/Right, 9.75 Points
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian, 4.26 Points
Colour the world Red
My nation of Foguk is representative of my views. Let me get this out of the way: I am not trolling, they are just my views. Don't get worked up.
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If the opposition refuses to disarm, we shall disarm them ourselves"
Joesph Stalin
"When we hang the capitalists, they will sell us the rope we use"
Joseph Stalin

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Yohannes wrote:I am multitasking with assignments, et cetra so that I cannot read the full content of your original post, but the following bolded section:

I've spammed (jokish content) the telegram inbox of some of the moderators in the past with related stuff in the forum; namely that of Dread Lady Nathicana and Reploid Production; the former a game moderator and the latter a forum head moderator and the boss probably in general, and they've always replied to my jokish-spams lightly, and with a (revealing) sense of humour.

I don't know, perhaps other have different experiences (and that is possible, I guess)? But not me.

I second this. Nathi has done group Skype chats with some of us Eternalites on occasion, and she has shown a great sense of humor (and a very dirty mind, but that's neither here nor there).
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Yohannes wrote:I am multitasking with assignments, et cetra so that I cannot read the full content of your original post, but the following bolded section:

Anyone remember Timegate? Well, he would have been DEATed in my view if the mods didn't have a sense of humour.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:The big secret:

You lie!
I have proof that at least on of them is not human...
Married to Koshka

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 pm

The Mods aren't perfect, but they're pretty good.

Blakk Metal wrote:1. That Annoying Ban on Gravedigging[/b]

Why should someone be allowed to post in a thread that died over a year ago? Everyone would have already moved on.
2. Too Weak on Trolls

I haven't noticed this.
3. Trollnaming

Just ignore it then.
4. Homework Questions
See no. 1.

Why wouldn't you just go to YahooAnswers etc.?

I think the mods have a pretty good sense of humour. Maybe their sense of humour is just different to yours. If you got banned, then your "joke" well and truly over the line.
Last edited by Meowfoundland on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:31 pm

No we don't. Everyone knows we're actually cats that have been specially bred for this by Max Barry and live in his basement where he feeds us on mice and random porn spammers. :p

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:45 pm

NERVUN wrote:

No we don't. Everyone knows we're actually cats that have been specially bred for this by Max Barry and live in his basement where he feeds us on mice and random porn spammers. :p

Except Nathi, we know she's a bunny. :P

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:
NERVUN wrote:No we don't. Everyone knows we're actually cats that have been specially bred for this by Max Barry and live in his basement where he feeds us on mice and random porn spammers. :p

Except Nathi, we know she's a bunny. :P

Married to Koshka

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Meh, the mods have been more of less okay in my book,i was banned 4 days for some bullshit once but meh.
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General