NATION

PASSWORD

Vaccines are poison!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What do you think of vaccines?

I think they are safe.
204
82%
I am wary of them.
35
14%
I think they are dangerous.
11
4%
 
Total votes : 250

User avatar
A Republican Empire State
Envoy
 
Posts: 239
Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Vaccines are poison!

Postby A Republican Empire State » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:25 am

Or, at least, so say the Pakistanis.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-06/asia ... _s=PM:ASIA

As it turns out, the Pakistanis are now refusing to give their kids polio vaccines...and the number of cases is on the rise, it's gonna hit the roof and head to the moon any time now. All this is because we were using vaccines to catch Bin Laden.

Seriously.

So what does everyone else make of this? Why are people so afraid of vaccines anyway, even when their own health is in danger by not taking them?
How to reverse Japan's declining population:
Jerusalem and Damascus wrote:Spike the water with viagra.

My influence

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:30 am

Well, there was that one study (which has since been retracted and the author discredited) that claimed that there was a link between vaccines and autism. Also, certain vaccines used some chemical made with mercury as a preservative (the one that I recall uses this is the measles vaccine; I don't know if other vaccines use this).
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Tubbsalot
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9032
Founded: Oct 17, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tubbsalot » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:33 am

Er, doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the bin Laden thing, honestly. Just sounds like people are freaking out because they don't know what the vaccine does.

Individuality-ness wrote:Well, there was that one study (which has since been retracted and the author discredited) that claimed that there was a link between vaccines and autism. Also, certain vaccines used some chemical made with mercury as a preservative (the one that I recall uses this is the measles vaccine; I don't know if other vaccines use this).

Oh thank god you brought that bullshit up, I was worried I wouldn't feel enough rage by the time I finished this post.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

User avatar
Individuality-ness
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37712
Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:34 am

Tubbsalot wrote:Er, doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the bin Laden thing, honestly. Just sounds like people are freaking out because they don't know what the vaccine does.

Individuality-ness wrote:Well, there was that one study (which has since been retracted and the author discredited) that claimed that there was a link between vaccines and autism. Also, certain vaccines used some chemical made with mercury as a preservative (the one that I recall uses this is the measles vaccine; I don't know if other vaccines use this).

Oh thank god you brought that bullshit up, I was worried I wouldn't feel enough rage by the time I finished this post.

That's because it is bullshit; if anything, it made certain diseases come back with a fury. But I digress.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

User avatar
Page
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5806
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Page » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:39 am

Why doesn't Pakistan just build a statue commemorating bin Laden and just be transparent about how they feel already?
PRO-FEMINISM ANTI-WAR SOCIALIST
And sure as hell will never apologize for being right.

User avatar
Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17518
Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:39 am

Tubbsalot wrote:Er, doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the bin Laden thing, honestly. Just sounds like people are freaking out because they don't know what the vaccine does.


to quote the article
Pakistan is causing particular consternation among health officials who say their efforts to vaccinate more children are being frustrated by the CIA's use of a fake vaccination program last year to gather intelligence on Osama bin Laden.

In a letter to CIA director General David Petraeus in February, InterAction, which represents nearly 200 U.S.- based non-government organizations, expressed "deep concern" about the fake campaign.

so presumably it does. :/

User avatar
Page
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5806
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Page » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:42 am

Anyways though in all seriousness fake vaccinations are major fucked up.
PRO-FEMINISM ANTI-WAR SOCIALIST
And sure as hell will never apologize for being right.

User avatar
Tubbsalot
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9032
Founded: Oct 17, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tubbsalot » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:44 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:Er, doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the bin Laden thing, honestly. Just sounds like people are freaking out because they don't know what the vaccine does.


to quote the article
Pakistan is causing particular consternation among health officials who say their efforts to vaccinate more children are being frustrated by the CIA's use of a fake vaccination program last year to gather intelligence on Osama bin Laden.

In a letter to CIA director General David Petraeus in February, InterAction, which represents nearly 200 U.S.- based non-government organizations, expressed "deep concern" about the fake campaign.

so presumably it does. :/

Yeah it also says later on that someone has said "yeah we really think this has affected our ability to do things" but nobody ever specifies how exactly this has affected things, or even given an anecdote of someone saying "NO I loved vaccines but then vaccines KILLED BIN LADEN and I loved him so now I hate vaccines!!!"
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

User avatar
Cameroi
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15253
Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:50 am

virtually every effective medication, in other then the minuet doses that are therapeutic for what its are prescribed for, is a deadly poison. this is, or ought to be, not exactly news.

there are of course also vaccinations that kick-start the body's own defense mechanisms.

there are also, unfortunately all sorts of unscrupulous things going on in today's world that cannot be entirely trusted.
the field trials of new medications on uninformed patients of public clinics, even in 'first world' countries like the u.s., also occur.

when america was a free country, informed consent was required for field testing of medications.

that people in third world countries are subjected to such treatment then, should come as no surprise.

my own wire's demise may very well have been somehow related to this sort of thing.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

User avatar
Forsher
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12416
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:51 am

A Republican Empire State wrote:Or, at least, so say the Pakistanis.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-06/asia ... _s=PM:ASIA

As it turns out, the Pakistanis are now refusing to give their kids polio vaccines...and the number of cases is on the rise, it's gonna hit the roof and head to the moon any time now. All this is because we were using vaccines to catch Bin Laden.

Seriously.

So what does everyone else make of this? Why are people so afraid of vaccines anyway, even when their own health is in danger by not taking them?


There's a picture of a little girl with stumps for limbs because she did not get a vaccine. I think that's reallly all you need.
Im Großen und Ganzen diese Übersetzung ist schrecklich, aber wer bin ich dann dazu zu äußern? Alles, was ich getan habe ist stehlen die Worte von anderen Männern und nannte es akademische.

Ich komme aus Neuseeland.

Die Welt ist wie nichts für nichts. Ich will damit sagen, dass die Welt alles für etwas, und immer mehr als nichts ist.

User avatar
Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17518
Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 am

Tubbsalot wrote:
Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
to quote the article

so presumably it does. :/

Yeah it also says later on that someone has said "yeah we really think this has affected our ability to do things" but nobody ever specifies how exactly this has affected things, or even given an anecdote of someone saying "NO I loved vaccines but then vaccines KILLED BIN LADEN and I loved him so now I hate vaccines!!!"

um well i'm guessing the fake vaccination program is what is turning folks off taking them.

User avatar
New Abooutland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 395
Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Abooutland » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:57 am

you looked at the wrong newspage it's CNN there Anti Pakistan bias
My Political Stance:Economic Left/Right: -0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.59
Call Me NA
why aint bush and blair being charged for war crimes in the ICC - Our leader Fanuu Baski

Im Muslim and Proud to be half Pakistani
GO NEW ABOOUTLAND!!!

User avatar
Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1625
Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:59 am

The problem with Polio vaccines is that it's in that awkward place where the disease has not been eradicated (and is therefore still necessary) but it's rare enough that the average person simply isn't aware of it. I'd have to dig up a magazine article I read a while ago on this topic, but IIRC some forms of polio are now caused more often by the vaccine than via infection.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

User avatar
Krodania
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Krodania » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:00 am

It is a sad day, when the poll shows that 30 percent of people think that vaccines are dangerous.

User avatar
Forsher
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12416
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 am

Krodania wrote:It is a sad day, when the poll shows that 30 percent of people think that vaccines are dangerous.


An expected day, I believe.
Im Großen und Ganzen diese Übersetzung ist schrecklich, aber wer bin ich dann dazu zu äußern? Alles, was ich getan habe ist stehlen die Worte von anderen Männern und nannte es akademische.

Ich komme aus Neuseeland.

Die Welt ist wie nichts für nichts. Ich will damit sagen, dass die Welt alles für etwas, und immer mehr als nichts ist.

User avatar
Krodania
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Krodania » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 am

Forsher wrote:
Krodania wrote:It is a sad day, when the poll shows that 30 percent of people think that vaccines are dangerous.


An expected day, I believe.


True, people tend to believe the worst, even if the worst isn't true.

User avatar
Cameroi
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15253
Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 am

Forsher wrote:
A Republican Empire State wrote:Or, at least, so say the Pakistanis.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-06/asia ... _s=PM:ASIA

As it turns out, the Pakistanis are now refusing to give their kids polio vaccines...and the number of cases is on the rise, it's gonna hit the roof and head to the moon any time now. All this is because we were using vaccines to catch Bin Laden.

Seriously.

So what does everyone else make of this? Why are people so afraid of vaccines anyway, even when their own health is in danger by not taking them?


There's a picture of a little girl with stumps for limbs because she did not get a vaccine. I think that's reallly all you need.

it might be, IF, people everywhere, even where each of us ourselves live, could always trust that a vaccine contained what was said that it did, and only what it was claimed too.

the problem is that the trustworthiness of this HAS BEEN compromised. NOT JUST IN THIRD WORLD PLACES LIKE PAKISTAN, but in the dear old u.s. of a ITSELF.

i'm i would be fine with needles from compitent doctors and nurses, or would be, if i felt i could trust what was actually in them. but there's been so much monkey business about this, in a world that is now virtually controlled by corporate criminals almost entirely. that, it does come down to a matter of odds and statistics.

will the injection you are administed, actually contain what it is claimed to, and only what it is claimed to?

well sometimes the odds are better to take the chance that it does. i'd like to be able to say with greater confidence that they always are, or reliably are some reasonable percentage of the time.
but how can i, when well documented abuses by drug companies and government agencies are a matter of public record.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

User avatar
Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11231
Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Nazis in Space » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 am

Out of curiosity, was the CIA program 'Fake' because it was using vaccinations as a cover to collect information, or was it 'Fake' because the actual vaccinations were fake?

The latter is kinda, sorta, quite unnecessarily and undeniably evil, tbh. Which is why I'm asking, since it's just so staggeringly supervillainously pointless.
Honour thy tool, and keep it rigid.Don't be stupid, be a smarty
~ \° - ° Vote For Fascism ° - °/ ~C'mon join the Nazi Party!

User avatar
Forsher
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12416
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:08 am

Nazis in Space wrote:Out of curiosity, was the CIA program 'Fake' because it was using vaccinations as a cover to collect information, or was it 'Fake' because the actual vaccinations were fake?

The latter is kinda, sorta, quite unnecessarily and undeniably evil, tbh. Which is why I'm asking, since it's just so staggeringly supervillainously pointless.


I have no idea. And in my eyes, only the latter is fake. The former is conducted under false prentences.
Im Großen und Ganzen diese Übersetzung ist schrecklich, aber wer bin ich dann dazu zu äußern? Alles, was ich getan habe ist stehlen die Worte von anderen Männern und nannte es akademische.

Ich komme aus Neuseeland.

Die Welt ist wie nichts für nichts. Ich will damit sagen, dass die Welt alles für etwas, und immer mehr als nichts ist.

User avatar
Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1625
Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 am

Cameroi wrote:
Forsher wrote:There's a picture of a little girl with stumps for limbs because she did not get a vaccine. I think that's reallly all you need.

it might be, IF, people everywhere, even where each of us ourselves live, could always trust that a vaccine contained what was said that it did, and only what it was claimed too.

the problem is that the trustworthiness of this HAS BEEN compromised. NOT JUST IN THIRD WORLD PLACES LIKE PAKISTAN, but in the dear old u.s. of a ITSELF.

i'm i would be fine with needles from compitent doctors and nurses, or would be, if i felt i could trust what was actually in them. but there's been so much monkey business about this, in a world that is now virtually controlled by corporate criminals almost entirely. that, it does come down to a matter of odds and statistics.

will the injection you are administed, actually contain what it is claimed to, and only what it is claimed to?

well sometimes the odds are better to take the chance that it does. i'd like to be able to say with greater confidence that they always are, or reliably are some reasonable percentage of the time.
but how can i, when well documented abuses by drug companies and government agencies are a matter of public record.


You can keep going on about that, but I'll keep thinking of all the diseases which have been effectively (or entirely) obliterated in the last century.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

User avatar
Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17518
Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:14 am

oh wow
Local news reports linked Pakistani doctor Shakeel Afridi to the U.S. intelligence operation, alleging he tried to gain access to bin Laden's compound through the fake vaccination scheme.

Pakistan recently sentenced Afridi to 33 years in jail for providing financial and medical assistance to the now defunct militant group Lashkar-e-Islam.

Officials originally told CNN Afridi was charged with treason for spying for the United States.

he got screwed eh?

User avatar
Stovokor
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1109
Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Stovokor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 am

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:it might be, IF, people everywhere, even where each of us ourselves live, could always trust that a vaccine contained what was said that it did, and only what it was claimed too.

the problem is that the trustworthiness of this HAS BEEN compromised. NOT JUST IN THIRD WORLD PLACES LIKE PAKISTAN, but in the dear old u.s. of a ITSELF.

i'm i would be fine with needles from compitent doctors and nurses, or would be, if i felt i could trust what was actually in them. but there's been so much monkey business about this, in a world that is now virtually controlled by corporate criminals almost entirely. that, it does come down to a matter of odds and statistics.

will the injection you are administed, actually contain what it is claimed to, and only what it is claimed to?

well sometimes the odds are better to take the chance that it does. i'd like to be able to say with greater confidence that they always are, or reliably are some reasonable percentage of the time.
but how can i, when well documented abuses by drug companies and government agencies are a matter of public record.


You can keep going on about that, but I'll keep thinking of all the diseases which have been effectively (or entirely) obliterated in the last century.


That was probably the best rebuttals I've witnessed in a while.
If i'm responding to you directly, it is generally safe to disregard everything that was said and assume i'm calling you a twit.
I Roleplay as such my nation is not a representation of my political, economic, and spiritual beliefs.

Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

User avatar
New Abooutland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 395
Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Abooutland » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:oh wow
Local news reports linked Pakistani doctor Shakeel Afridi to the U.S. intelligence operation, alleging he tried to gain access to bin Laden's compound through the fake vaccination scheme.

Pakistan recently sentenced Afridi to 33 years in jail for providing financial and medical assistance to the now defunct militant group Lashkar-e-Islam.

Officials originally told CNN Afridi was charged with treason for spying for the United States.

he got screwed eh?


the USA just used him and did'nt give him any help them sicko pro israel bastards
My Political Stance:Economic Left/Right: -0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.59
Call Me NA
why aint bush and blair being charged for war crimes in the ICC - Our leader Fanuu Baski

Im Muslim and Proud to be half Pakistani
GO NEW ABOOUTLAND!!!

User avatar
Idealismania
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1032
Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Idealismania » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 am

I think part of the problem with modern society is it's hard to know what to believe as truth anymore. Anyone can say and does say pretty much whatever they want, and someone can somehow make it sound authoritative. So it's just hard for some people to trust that anything, including vaccines, really are good for them. I mean who can you really trust anymore?

User avatar
Krodania
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Krodania » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:16 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:oh wow
Local news reports linked Pakistani doctor Shakeel Afridi to the U.S. intelligence operation, alleging he tried to gain access to bin Laden's compound through the fake vaccination scheme.

Pakistan recently sentenced Afridi to 33 years in jail for providing financial and medical assistance to the now defunct militant group Lashkar-e-Islam.

Officials originally told CNN Afridi was charged with treason for spying for the United States.

he got screwed eh?


I totally sure that the Pakistani government had unquestionable evidence of his particpation with Laskar-e-Islam. They wouldn't send a man to jail for no reason. :p

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Auremena, Benuty, Cardassian Empire, Conscentia, Dejanic, Duvniask, Exabot [Bot], Fartsniffage, Forty Twoania, Google Adsense [Bot], Hardened Pyrokinetics, Hirota, Kingston-Atlantis, Nimzonia, Occupied Deutschland, Olivaero, Omorov-Nier, Southern Babylonia, Tayunas, The Black Forrest, The Stanley Farm, Uiiop

Remove ads